Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Doctor Zero posted:

E: E: hold on. I thought her name was Christiansen. Did I slip into a parallel universe, or is this some kind of Mandela effect thing going on? Or it could be I’m just an idiot.

It's called the Mengele effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Doctor Zero posted:

E: E: hold on. I thought her name was Christiansen. Did I slip into a parallel universe, or is this some kind of Mandela effect thing going on? Or it could be I’m just an idiot.

Maybe thinking of Erika Christiansen?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Doctor Zero posted:

E: E: hold on. I thought her name was Christiansen. Did I slip into a parallel universe,

Go back if you can

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never actually did the math on just how many people Talia had sexual tension with until The Doctor complained about her third instructor ex-lover.

She seems much more defined by her sexuality than any of the other female characters. Na'toth never even had a romantic interest.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

Na'toth never even had a romantic interest.

She did once, but he was weak so she killed him.

i made that up but it fits!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I just picked a random episode to watch and it was the gropos episode and its got some searing takes on war, institutional military, and the value of life.

25 years later and some of these scenes would be seen as current and powerfully relevant if they aired on a show today especially the Dr. Franklin/his General Dad dynamic.

I do love that Garibaldi's dad was named Alfredo and the apple fell very far from the tree.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 23, 2020

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Doctor Zero posted:

Had a TA in university who did the same, when he pointed out to me that she also played Bill's mom in Freaks and Geeks.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Any particularly solid/interesting podcasts about the show? There's "The Audio Guide To Babylon 5", but for all I know I'm missing something I should put my ears to.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

MisterBibs posted:

Any particularly solid/interesting podcasts about the show? There's "The Audio Guide To Babylon 5", but for all I know I'm missing something I should put my ears to.

The Name of the Pod by a resident goon poster is great.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I never actually did the math on just how many people Talia had sexual tension with until The Doctor complained about her third instructor ex-lover.

Franklin snarking on anyone else over their love life is :irony:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

A while ago, some goon wrote a thread scraper for SA.

I forked the code and fixed the error messages, then did it again when chrome started hating on http connections or something. It's now the single thing I have available on github, because it would be rude not to let the orginal author know that somebody still loves his dead gay code:

https://github.com/Fumblemouse/SA-Archiving-Tool

To use:

Hit the big green Clone button and download it as a zip file.

Extract the zip file somewhere on your local hard drive.

In Chrome, go Settings -> More Tools -> Extensions and flick the Developer Mode switch on the top right.

There should now be an option to Load Unpacked on the left. Ignoring the untold comedy potential for that phrase, click the option and find the folder you extracted the zip to - by default, SA-Archiving-Tool-master. Select that folder and click the Open button.

All going well you should now have a hard-to-see SA icon on the chrome extension bar. If you visit a SA thread with a thread ID, eg https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903748 the icon should now be clickable with a single option...Archive.

Click that link, and your local PC will think for a while, depending on your local tubespeed, then display a single page with the entire thread on it. CTRL+S or Rightclick Save As and save it whereever you want. WebPage, Complete will save images also.

Because nothing in life is easy, the saved page's HTML CSS tags refers to something set up by the chrome extension, so it will look a bit crappy in another browser or if you remove the extension. This can be fixed by changing the CSS reference in the Saved As HTML file to the files in the /archive folder from the extracted zipfile - or you could copy the /archive css files into the HTML file's folder and just have the tags as direct links to files (no folder references)

Go crazy!

Here's a tool and instructions for archiving threads, courtesy of a goon named Fumblemouse, not sure if there's a page limit on it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Here's a tool and instructions for archiving threads, courtesy of a goon named Fumblemouse, not sure if there's a page limit on it.

Oh wow, that's nice. What a great idea.

Thanks for sharing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If you do scrape a thread, be sure to link to the results in that thread so people know you've done it. That way the scraper server doesn't get hammered.

Also signing up for Breadnroses.net is a good idea. Ignore the paywall if you want, it's apparently a jump in the queue at the moment and invite codes can be obtained from a few SA posters if you look around - I won't name them here to avoid them getting spammed.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Between putting up with all of Discord's crap and going to a place run by CSPAM, I'll stick with Discord, thanks.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'll put up with discord briefly as a stopgap, so I can receive further updates if needed, but if it's the cspam offsite then I'll just wave like Vir.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Jedit posted:

If you do scrape a thread, be sure to link to the results in that thread so people know you've done it. That way the scraper server doesn't get hammered.

Also signing up for Breadnroses.net is a good idea. Ignore the paywall if you want, it's apparently a jump in the queue at the moment and invite codes can be obtained from a few SA posters if you look around - I won't name them here to avoid them getting spammed.

I'm sure it'll end up like most of the good ideas that I receive, I'll save the idea to my OneNote and never get to it.

But your advice is sound as hell.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

So which discord is this thread going to use? The one for the scifi forum?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

power crystals posted:

So which discord is this thread going to use? The one for the scifi forum?

That's the main one I settled on, I'm not joining 47 discords

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

That's the main one I settled on, I'm not joining 47 discords

I wish I had your restraint

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I didn't want to even start using discord in the first place, so that helped

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Procrastination pays off once more.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
The newbie thread was one of the few I was legitimately sad I'd never see again.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Polaron posted:

The newbie thread was one of the few I was legitimately sad I'd never see again.

There was a Young Races channel in the discord just in case.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Got so excited reading Docs newest write up. My rewatch is going far too slow! I'm only on Eyes!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I'm into the 4th season episodes of The Name Of The Pod and enjoying it immensely. Max is the best contributor.

I'm a bit curious who all these people are doing the intro lines. "IT WAS A NEW AGE! :classiclol: "

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Gnome de plume posted:

I'm into the 4th season episodes of The Name Of The Pod and enjoying it immensely. Max is the best contributor.

I'm a bit curious who all these people are doing the intro lines. "IT WAS A NEW AGE! :classiclol: "

Thanks. I think we finally hit our stride in seasons 3/4. And Max was by far more popular than Jon and me.

The intro lines were a bunch of our friends. “It was a new age” was my son.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Gnome de plume posted:

I feel like I need a spoiler thread for the podcast. Don't want to ruin the heartbreak of future episodes :(

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I loved "The Doctor" writing that he was excited to finally see an alien world, then disappointment that it was just some curtains and a chair. I REALLY wanted to post,
"Get used to those curtains and chair!"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I forget, when were the first shots of Minbar?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

ultrafilter posted:

I forget, when were the first shots of Minbar?

I'm thinking the first episode of War Without End.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Side topic - I’ve never noticed anything seeming out of order from S2 16 and 17 being swapped. What works better if you watch as intended?

(Reply from the Younger Races thread)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Side topic - I’ve never noticed anything seeming out of order from S2 16 and 17 being swapped. What works better if you watch as intended?

(Reply from the Younger Races thread)

From the Lurker's Guide

quote:

Actually, the chronological order was *supposed* to be "Knives," THEN "Z'ha'dum." In "Knives" you get the reminder about Anna, then in "Z'ha'dum" you get the payoff. That was originally how they were intended to be aired, but there was *so much* CGI work and rotoscope work and creature animation involved in "Knives" that it got flopped to second in that order. So while it works *best* the way it was intended, it still works okay in this order.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

TraderStav posted:

From the Lurker's Guide

Ah okay. Yeah that's not too bad.

Also, I'm going to be doing this ALL through the new new watcher's time.

quote:

Psychics can link across light years? I guess this would actually fit - Humans didn't get hyperspace technology until aliens showed up.
I could see a link between hyperspace and telepathy that could be used to explain why we suddenly have human telepaths in the future.

:pusheen:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zaroff posted:

I'm thinking the first episode of War Without End.

Confirmed by the Lurker's guide.

Doctor Zero posted:

Ah okay. Yeah that's not too bad.

It's not. I think I slightly prefer the modified order just because Knives is a little weaker than In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum or any of the last few season 2 episodes. Getting it done first means you have a very strong six episode sequence at the end.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
It's been a while since I actually watched the show, does it ever actually address members of the Centauri court wondering how Londo just flattened that colony? Doesn't Refa mention he's assuming it's mercenaries or something?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

IIRC it does come up but he's just like "yeah I have secret resources that make me powerful, no loving way am I letting you vultures know what they are so you can steal them" and they grudgingly accept it. Then of course when Refa does find out he immediately grabs on to Morden, proving Londo's point.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
In Refa's first appearance (Geometry of Shadows) he asks about Londo wiping out the Narn colony on Quadrant 37 in Chrysalis:

quote:

I would be very interested to know how you did that, ambassador.

Yes, I'm sure that you would.

Very well. Keep your secrets for now. What matters is, you have saved our people from another embarrassing surrender by our idiot emperor. What you did required independence of thought. Initiative. Courage. And a large and aggressive strike force, which you have managed to assemble without anyone knowing about it.

Meanwhile, I'm always stunned how few episodes (what I would consider) the major guest characters Morden, Bester, Refa and Neroon are in. Morden's in 12 (13 if you could Day of the Dead), Bester's in 12, Refa's in 6 and Neroon is in 5. Although Na'toth's only in 8 :v:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wow, I would'e sworn Morden was in at least twice as many episodes as Bester.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Grand Fromage posted:

Bester's in loads in S4 and S5 once Morden is out of the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Both Morden and Bester are presences that loom large over the plot even when they're not present.