Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
O
HO
N
im more into the miniature buildings than the trains actually
this thread is a trainwreck OP!!! :D
Friendly Pocket Watch Wearin' Goku Conductor
View Results

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
idk, im sliding into my mid 30s here, kinda stagnated at work, moneys fine not great but fine, COVID rules now.

need a new jam. but something from the old days

I should become Model Train Guy. But what scale so I pick>???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Chinatown posted:

idk, im sliding into my mid 30s here, kinda stagnated at work, moneys fine not great but fine, COVID rules now.

u gotta go with HO scale it is required by law for Model Train Guys

e: choo choo!

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

More like JO scale lmao

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
D'AWWW

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
to save money on working parts you should just set up a static derailment scene with fire and corpses

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

More like JO scale lmao

oh good grief!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Chinatown posted:

Hm the results of your poll seem inconclusive so far.

I am too, preferably in a way I could transport a bong across the table on a flatbed car.

Wait maybe I just need a temple of doom style tablesized lazy Susan.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
No one ever does future trains, do future trains.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
you're posting on a dead gay comedy forum, model train guy could be a move up

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

You should watch Blade Runner 2049 OP it's a great movie.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Obviously you gotta pimp your trains and get the HO scale.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

if I was a train guy I'd have a whole basement set that you could crawl under and there would be little plexiglass domes you could peek out of into the model town and say hello to all your favorite towns folk like Jeremy and lisa but not Ron because Ron knows what he did. there would also be an volcano and dinosaurs and you gotta have the little dog running around the fire hydrant haha too bad I'm not an train guy

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I never understood why you gotta have a guy driving the train. Like oooh look I gotta go left up here. Oh wait there’s absolutely no controls for this poo poo but I’m in a union so I’m just gonna stand here and pretend I’m steering this poo poo out the window. *pulls whistle cord at hobos* :downs:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
1:1 scale op go big or choo choo!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
when i was a kid my dad had a pretty big HO-scale model train set. he had like a third of the garage taken up by the huge horseshoe-shaped table that it was on. some of the locomotives you could put special fluid in them and they'd puff out little puffs of smoke as they went around. he sold his old custom van to pay for what was then a pretty slick electronic multi-channel controller that allowed for different trains to be moving at different speeds. the cat was banned from the garage because he kept curling up and napping atop the chicken-wire and plaster "mountain" my dad had built on one corner of the layout.

later on my dad developed an obsession with trying to build like a 1/4 scale no-poo poo steam locomotive and railway on his mother's property. he failed, having squandered thousands of dollars, eventually destroyed his marriage, got fired from being a bus driver after getting a DUI, and moved out to deep eastern oregon.

think carefully about this one, OP.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
now, warhammer models, there's an investment that will pay big dividends, both financial and social

Zeinin
May 7, 2003

Get into the Japanese scene. Start with a nozomi!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

do you have a wife who gets her "beauty sleep" with a cucumber mask and hair rollers and who owns a rolling pin? that's part of the Model Train Lifestyle

i used to have a big sheet of wood in my bedroom with HO scale stuff on it because i was a spoiled only child, i think i enjoyed constructing the buildings more than the actual trains though, like the little faller fairground attractions with motors inside. i even had a tax office that was on fire, with flickering lights and a small bath of oil fed by an electrified wire that would produce smoke

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Zeinin posted:

Get into the Japanese scene. Start with a nozomi!

They call it nozomi, but it looks zoomi to me!

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Be different. Build a life-size train.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

when i was a kid my dad had a pretty big HO-scale model train set. he had like a third of the garage taken up by the huge horseshoe-shaped table that it was on. some of the locomotives you could put special fluid in them and they'd puff out little puffs of smoke as they went around. he sold his old custom van to pay for what was then a pretty slick electronic multi-channel controller that allowed for different trains to be moving at different speeds. the cat was banned from the garage because he kept curling up and napping atop the chicken-wire and plaster "mountain" my dad had built on one corner of the layout.

later on my dad developed an obsession with trying to build like a 1/4 scale no-poo poo steam locomotive and railway on his mother's property. he failed, having squandered thousands of dollars, eventually destroyed his marriage, got fired from being a bus driver after getting a DUI, and moved out to deep eastern oregon.

think carefully about this one, OP.

Do you have photographic evidence of any of this, and can you please share it with us?

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

please reconsider this dark and depressing path, where even warhammer 40k players pay less and get laid more.

although you will be buying flock at the same tense old man shops.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
Do they make really fast mini bullet trains?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nOICSNCuBvQ

Edit: The model train nut YouTube poster's video description tells you the gauge and model numbers, so you can buy the correct model trains to fully duplicate this scene. Just buy a little dynamite as well.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 30, 2020

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

There's a lot of people in their late 30s collecting Hot Wheels tracks and stuff now. New equivalent to the Sad Model Train Dad I think.

Just sittin in the basement with the Criss Cross Crash playset. Programmed a custom timing mechanism into the little motors to ensure the cars never crash and properly yield the right of way.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
OP build a model maglev train or a model monorail that can go through your whole house. Then you can put a little camera on the monorail train and say it's a roller coaster for pixies. If you build it they will cum.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Make a 1:2 scale train OP. Double or nothing I say!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

If you're not on Rod Stewart's level, you lack ambition

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Hell yes a model train thread! I'll take any chance to post my rig:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Icochet posted:

Hell yes a model train thread! I'll take any chance to post my rig:

lol is that even brio? gfto

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

other people posted:

lol is that even brio? gfto

Be prepared OP, in the model train scene you will come across some jealous bastards.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
my grandfather build and played with a large elaborate model train set. it was in a private room in the basement and when he died we found his stash of whiskey bottles. he mostly used the train set as an excuse to avoid grandma and drink whiskey alone in his room

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

sounds like a guy who really knew how to live

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Rutibex posted:

my grandfather build and played with a large elaborate model train set. it was in a private room in the basement and when he died we found his stash of whiskey bottles. he mostly used the train set as an excuse to avoid grandma and drink whiskey alone in his room

did he mutter "choo choo bitch" to himself as he drank whiskey

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
I went to a model train convention at the agricultural hall a few years back, and somebody had rigged up a model lighthouse inside of which a bear was chasing a guy endlessly in a circle. The engineer had attached the bear and the guy to opposite ends of a wooden stick, and put the stick on a spinning motor so it looked like they were chasing each other. I have never gone to another train show because I have been spoiled for life by that man's ingenuity.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
But seriously OP, take up a weird and expensive instrument, that's a better choice for yourself and everybody around you.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have to read the manual on how to install a new toaster. I was into RC cars as a kid.

Brought my frankenstein buggy to a track and raced after tweaking the engine to cheat a bit. I lost because my hands are never steady.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i wonder if mom still has my brio stuff

MOMMMMMMM

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

did he mutter "choo choo bitch" to himself as he drank whiskey

i don't know i wasn't there. i certainly hope so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015