Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

withak posted:

Sam Elliot without a mustache is horrifying.

Seconded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Class Warcraft posted:

Season 2 has some problems since they had to wrap up the series unexpectedly, but it's still one of my favorite shows of all time. Great cast, great costumes, great sets.

As a boardwalk empire fan I am no stranger to that.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Can someone tell me why 365 Days on Netflix is apparently a Tik Tok meme? And why the synopsis is apparently a woman gets kidnapped, then falls in love with her kidnapper and then a lot of sex happens?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I've never heard of Person of Interest, but Netflix recommends it to me. What kind of show is it? Is it NCIS or CSI or Law and Order, or is it good?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Is that Rome HBO show still worth watching? I remember it having a lot of buzz back in the day but haven’t heard anyone bring it up in years. Watched Gladiator for the first time in years last weekend and wouldn’t mind some more of that.

ROME is top shelf viewing because it has one of the all time best protagonist bromance duos. Seriously, it doesn't get any better than Vorenus and Pullo. The ending feels so earned.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

I've never heard of Person of Interest, but Netflix recommends it to me. What kind of show is it? Is it NCIS or CSI or Law and Order, or is it good?

It starts out as a procedural about investigators armed with a surveillance AI. Then, as the show progresses, the AI achieves sentience. At that point it becomes very good

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 30, 2020

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I'm going through Justified right now and feeling a little guilty about it.

Constantly making fun of that Aryan looking motherfucker for an entire season was pretty hilarious, though.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

doctorfrog posted:

There's a Person Of Interest rewatch thread commencing July 1st https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930391

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

isaboo posted:

There's a Person Of Interest rewatch thread commencing July 1st https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930391

Hm, just in time then. I dunno if I can keep up as I watch series very slowly, but it should be fun to lurk a bit at first.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I watched that 7500 starring Joseph Gordon Levitt on Amazon Prime. It was pretty good, though it felt like the reason it was a prime original was because they didn't know how to end it in a way that felt super satisfying. It just kinda ended with no resolution or catharsis for the main character other than he got to live..

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

The MSJ posted:

It starts out as a procedural about investigators armed with a surveillance AI. Then, as the show progresses, the AI achieves sentience. At that point it becomes very good

I can't speak to what it eventually became, but it started out as a gritty reboot of Early Edition.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Midgetskydiver posted:

ROME is top shelf viewing because it has one of the all time best protagonist bromance duos. Seriously, it doesn't get any better than Vorenus and Pullo. The ending feels so earned.

Season 2 blows and is a massive disservice to both their characters. But season 1 is an all-timer.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Season 2 blows and is a massive disservice to both their characters. But season 1 is an all-timer.

I remember the Mark Antony and Cleopatra stuff being good and fun in season 2 but I haven’t watched it since it aired.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Midgetskydiver posted:

Stonebridge and Scott in strike back are a little better but Rome is an absolutely amazing show. Also strike back is streaming on prime and everyone should watch it

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Dumb question about HBO Max - my google fu is failing.

Is there a difference in the selection available if you choose to sign up as an add-on to Hulu vs adding onto a cable subscription?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rome 1 just has an amazing group of actors, and was running at the same time as Deadwood, which also did. 2 switching Octavians really hurt it and nothing really fills the Julius gap there.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

fenix down posted:

Is there a difference in the selection available if you choose to sign up as an add-on to Hulu vs adding onto a cable subscription?

I had HBO via Hulu prior to the Max change, and it’s now branded as HBO Max, so I would hope/expect that it’s the same package.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Darko posted:

Rome 1 just has an amazing group of actors, and was running at the same time as Deadwood, which also did. 2 switching Octavians really hurt it and nothing really fills the Julius gap there.

Yeah, its too bad they didn't keep the original actor. Kid is great. I feel like the increase in Marc Antony time in Season 2 kinda made up for it, though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

fenix down posted:

Its the same but you have to jump through some additional hoops. You can watch HBO stuff in Hulu but everything HBO Max exclusive has to be watched through the app. Get the app and log into HBO Max with your Hulu account

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Its the same but you have to jump through some additional hoops. You can watch HBO stuff in Hulu but everything HBO Max exclusive has to be watched through the app. Get the app and log into HBO Max with your Hulu account
Ah okay thank you. Since it isn't on Roku, i think my best course of action might be to add it to cable on one TV and run the HBOMax PS4 app on the other TV.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Superrodan posted:

I watched that 7500 starring Joseph Gordon Levitt on Amazon Prime. It was pretty good, though it felt like the reason it was a prime original was because they didn't know how to end it in a way that felt super satisfying. It just kinda ended with no resolution or catharsis for the main character other than he got to live..

They tried for some "he's just like my son" character transference, but it just wasn't earned. Maybe if they had let him bond some with the terrorist, but one conversation about the same park just didn't do it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The one thing that annoyed me about 7500 was that JGL's characters had this almost sure fire deescalation move that would have occurred to any sensible person that he never tried to use at all. The last hijacker never killed anyone, he flat out stopped the guy who was going to end it all and essentially saved everyone...

I feel like it would be common sense to play that up and tell him he was a hero or at the very least tell him it's a reason they'd probably go easy on him. Even if it was bullshit and he'd be nailed to the wall for it, it seems like the sensible thing to play into but he never goes for it at all.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
This unsolved mysteries reboot is missing the cheesy fun of the original. It’s too much like every other true crime Netflix docuseries

Give me those bad re-enactments, dramatic narration, and multiple stories per episode

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's kind of what I got from the trailer. It looked really slick but didn't seem to have much personality. The original spawned an entire genre of podcasts, so it's difficult to imagine what an updated version would bring to the table that hasn't already been done to death. Unless they get, say, Clancy Brown to stare directly at me and say dramatic things into the camera, I'm probably going to pass and just read r/UnresolvedMysteries.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The Signal on Netflix was pretty good. Very suspenseful, mind-bending, slow burn, etc. I love horror movies like this where things are revealed piece by piece. Laurence Fishburne was menacing as a no-nonsense scientist. I loved how the facility had this "outdated and underfunded, but still useful" vibe - reminded me a lot of the Black Mesa base from Half-Life 1. I didn't like the ending at all, but I didn't expect a satisfying ending with a story like this.

I think Damon was the only non-human; everyone else acted too human to be anything but human. Then there was the whole "it's a test" thing, but there were plenty of times others besides the main character were doing things that weren't for the benefit of fooling anyone. That's why the ending felt thrown in as something to look cool; it didn't make sense in the context of any actions anyone took. It would have worked a whole lot better if it was really what the main character said - it was really Area 51, and those were scientists who were in way over their head but pretending they had everything under control. Nomad could've still been what he was as a final twist.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Deadite posted:

This unsolved mysteries reboot is missing the cheesy fun of the original. It’s too much like every other true crime Netflix docuseries

Give me those bad re-enactments, dramatic narration, and multiple stories per episode

I think the goal was for it to scare people who were freaked out as kids watching the original but are now adults, I thought it worked and was freaked out from the opening theme forward

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 1, 2020

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Spent most the day watching "Person of Interest" is there a point after the 8 episode where the characters have chemistry? Doesn't help that they largely talk via earpieces and the actors rarely film together.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Anything exciting in the July 1st glut of new streams? I saw Panic Room and Schindler's List which I've shamefully never watched, but not much else that sounds interesting.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Extraction, starring Liam Hemsworth, is trending on US Netflix. Yes, I said Liam, not Chris.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, and For your Consideration were all just added to Hulu. That's a fine day right there.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-mads-glen-or-glenda-live-online-riffing-show-with-mst3ks-the-mads-tickets-111691323756
This will own

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

Spent most the day watching "Person of Interest" is there a point after the 8 episode where the characters have chemistry? Doesn't help that they largely talk via earpieces and the actors rarely film together.

Yeah but its a Nolan thing so its pretty dry but then builds up to points of super high melodrama and emotion. It suffers from having a network number of episodes per season as opposed to cable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, and For your Consideration were all just added to Hulu. That's a fine day right there.

Oh gently caress yeah, now that's a good Wednesday night right there

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

married but discreet posted:

Anything exciting in the July 1st glut of new streams? I saw Panic Room and Schindler's List which I've shamefully never watched, but not much else that sounds interesting.

Blade 1 and 2 were added to HBO Max

also Blade 3 but no one should get excited for that

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I saw them live a couple years ago (I’m blanking on what they riffed though) and it was fantastic. Frank especially is even better now than he was in the MST3k days because he doesn’t have to pull any punches in his jokes in a live riff.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Deadite posted:

Blade 1 and 2 were added to HBO Max

also Blade 3 but no one should get excited for that

Blade 1 is probably the best avengers movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Eurovision Song Contest is about as by the numbers as you can get, but I thought it was a nice feel good distraction with a unique backdrop for a comedy. I was expecting something more absurd but it was still a lot of fun.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I saw them live a couple years ago (I’m blanking on what they riffed though) and it was fantastic. Frank especially is even better now than he was in the MST3k days because he doesn’t have to pull any punches in his jokes in a live riff.

Dude is darkkkkkkk and wonderful.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Is that Rome HBO show still worth watching? I remember it having a lot of buzz back in the day but haven’t heard anyone bring it up in years. Watched Gladiator for the first time in years last weekend and wouldn’t mind some more of that.

I liked the political intrigue, and if it had just been Caesar's story it would have been great. The inclusion of the everyman soldier characters ruin it though. I guess the intention is to write them as "complicated"
HBO protagonists trying to survive in a brutal society, but they both come off as utterly reprehensible and completely unlikeable. One of them is a slave trader who gets a shipment of dying people and treats them like a batch of spoiled meat, and the other guy murders the boyfriend of his crush in an ogre-like jealous rage, but of course the next episode she forgets about that and falls for him. I get that it's ancient Rome, poo poo was tough, but the tone of the show is we're supposed to sympathize with them, which I found disconcerting and a little nauseating, so I stopped at season 1. The actors for these characters aren't particularly good either, especially the red-haired guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

Eurovision Song Contest is about as by the numbers as you can get, but I thought it was a nice feel good distraction with a unique backdrop for a comedy. I was expecting something more absurd but it was still a lot of fun.

See, Eurovision in itself is so over the top and absurd, it would be hard to really over do it because any ludicrous thing they could come up with, you could easily see in the actual Eurovision.