Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Final Fantasy Theatrythm is kinda lovely as a game but having FF music and characters and letting me level them up turns out to make the game good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Facebook owns Beat Saber? I'm not giving them a dime.

What's a good alternative?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Nocheez posted:

https://moonrider.xyz/

Depending on how wide your definition of 'good replacement' is

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Nocheez posted:

You could also pirate it and donate money to custom map makers you like tbh.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Nocheez posted:

Super Saver is a free open-source clone of it, but I don't know if there's a hosted version any more so you might need to run a local web server or something.

The industry is so interconnected that pretty much anything you do in VR is going to end up lining Facebook's pockets in some fashion, though.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I've been playing Echo Arena nearly every day, fully recommend it even if it wasn't free. It was THE game to get me over motion sickness, something about the smooth movement avoided the stomach-pit feeling and I moved on from there.

It's also incredibly fun to play a multiplayer full contact sport during lockdown. It can be crazy difficult but the learning curve isn't insane.

Just a blast all around.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have not played Audica but people really like it and I believe they also make custom maps for it?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I have not played Audica but people really like it and I believe they also make custom maps for it?

There are but 90% of them are for the upper 5% or whatever. Ost is great tho.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Pulled the trigger on that pair of "parts-only" Vive wands for a very nice price of $150AUD for both. I actually think I know what's wrong with them, because the description just says they have a "red light" when they turn on and given it's happened to them both I'd wager they just poo poo themselves in a firmware update. Even if they are somehow both completely hosed, I should only need the tracking ring out of one of them to fix mine (The controller testing app shows all the inputs work, it's just not tracking).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://uploadvr.com/facebook-holographic-vr-glasses/

The prototype isn't even RGB, before anyone gets excited.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anybody mind talking about their experiences with VorpX?

Context: years ago, I bought some package that made a lot of my games work with my 3D tv I was using as a display at the time. When it worked, I loved it. Bioshock Infinite was awesome. Diablo 3 worked surprisingly well, although performance was rough.

Point being, I don’t mind a mixed bag of results and maybe a little tinkering. But 6dof VR is a different ballgame than 3D on a flat screen, and the holy grail for me on modding this into games is, generally, being able to ditch the keyboard and mouse, and decoupling my aim from my look direction.

So with all that in mind, am I likely to regret dropping the $40? I don’t mind throwing money down the hole if I get even one game I really love this way, or a few games that are neat.

Have any of you found that VorpX improved a game such that you prefer playing it that way vs the vanilla mode?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i didnt buy vorpx exclusively because of the developer's lovely practices

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Vorpx sucks a lot. Even when it works well, which isn’t often, it sucks. Caveat: I haven’t used it in over a year, maybe there’s been a turnaround.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is there a better option, or is the whole topic just too difficult to actually get a good solution? If so, that’d be a bummer. The stereo 3D software I used before was surprisingly good and genuinely improved the experience for the most part. But that’s a way easier problem.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I liked VorpX and it seemed to do exactly what I expected for every game I tried. I wasn't expecting a perfect VR version of the games, just a way to play them in 3d in my headset, and it delivered.

You can choose to be immersed fully in the game or see it on a screen in a room, and I mostly went for screen in room because non-VR games can do some really uncomfortable moves.

I used to regularly play Rocket League in VorpX because my headset had a higher refresh rate than my monitor and the 3d was actually pretty helpful.

I've seen lots of hate for it, but I'm not totally sure what they dislike. The 3D effect and performance were pretty flawless for me, but maybe I was just lucky with the games I played/my hardware setup.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Myssu posted:

I did the AI on Phantom, and I would recommend playing on Hard if you're comfortable with the movement mechanics and looking for challenging stealth at all. Hard is how I would have balanced normal mode, but the point was made that a lot of players will find just moving accurately non-trivial, so we left a good chunk of extra leeway.

Also it gives you a better score multiplier :)

Hey, cool! Give my best to the folks who locked down the movement controls, it really feels great. Incidentally I'd love to hear how such a crazy on its face concept was pitched and seen at the start.

Turin Turambar posted:

Pretty cool to see a practical model, even if monochrome, thats starting to look like the concept drawing abrash showed off at OC6:

10 years from now VR is going to be nuts.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m honestly surprised vorpx doesn’t trigger the anti-cheat stuff in rocket league

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

The future of the Virtual Boy is HERE! :v:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
It's me, I'm the guy who had a Virtual Boy and like 9 games. I even bought a case at a yard sale and set it up to carry the whole kit.

I like my index a little bit more, even if it isn't portable.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

https://research.fb.com/blog/2020/06/holographic-optics-for-thin-and-lightweight-virtual-reality/

The FB blog has a video of the green version in action and a still of the RGB version. It's not a full headset, but it looks cool with video playing.
https://research.fb.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/glasses_green.mp4?_=1

All sorts of cool details from the accompanying paper, from manufacturing details (fricken lasers!) to some high resolution shots (2 arc minute resolution??).

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Delta-Wye posted:

https://research.fb.com/blog/2020/06/holographic-optics-for-thin-and-lightweight-virtual-reality/

The FB blog has a video of the green version in action and a still of the RGB version. It's not a full headset, but it looks cool with video playing.
https://research.fb.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/glasses_green.mp4?_=1

All sorts of cool details from the accompanying paper, from manufacturing details (fricken lasers!) to some high resolution shots (2 arc minute resolution??).

Holy poo poo that’s way better fidelity than I expected for monochrome. I’m not sure why, but when they said no RGB I genuinely expected virtual boy level.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

ephori posted:

Holy poo poo that’s way better fidelity than I expected for monochrome. I’m not sure why, but when they said no RGB I genuinely expected virtual boy level.

2 arc minute resolution in that form factor is astounding.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
I am super down for that matrix sequel look.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Finally got my Rift S set up and all I gotta say is WHOA.

Only issue I have right now is that it seems to think I'm taller than I am so I'm like a giant or something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OK another question,

What headphones are people using with the Rift S?

I have a few different ones I've tried but none of them have been super comfortable.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

MarcusSA posted:

OK another question,

I have a few different ones I've tried but none of them have been super comfortable.

I highly recommend grabbing a pair of KSC75 headphones and a 3d printed mount.

https://www.amazon.com/Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K

https://www.etsy.com/listing/763073481/koss-ksc75-headphones-holder-for-oculus

Very cheap but great sound. I didn't buy my mount on Etsy but it looks like the same model that my friend printed for me. It works really well, and you can set them up so they're just hovering right over your ears without touching, which I find to be great for comfort and immersion.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MarcusSA posted:

OK another question,

Bionik Mantis' clip-on headphones for PSVR headsets will also mount to the strap of a Rift S just fine and deliver pretty okay sound.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 30, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tip posted:

I highly recommend grabbing a pair of KSC75 headphones and a 3d printed mount.

https://www.amazon.com/Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K

https://www.etsy.com/listing/763073481/koss-ksc75-headphones-holder-for-oculus

Very cheap but great sound. I didn't buy my mount on Etsy but it looks like the same model that my friend printed for me. It works really well, and you can set them up so they're just hovering right over your ears without touching, which I find to be great for comfort and immersion.

Amazing!

Also cheap!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bonik Mantis' clip-on headphones for PSVR headsets will also mount to the strap of a Rift S just fine and deliver pretty okay sound.

OK thanks for this too!

I'm gonna try out what Tip suggested first (since its only $25) and I've saved yours for later if I'm not that happy with it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

MarcusSA posted:

Amazing!

Also cheap!

The reason that particular set is recommended is those koss headphones are basically the same drivers as the original rift's built in audio, and sound quite nice. If you have access to a 3d printer though there are a dozen variations and refinements of clips for the rift s and them on thingaverse and places that you can print yourself instead of buying someone's print off Etsy.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Sony MDR-ZXxx and a small screwdriver.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Final Fantasy Theatrythm is kinda lovely as a game but having FF music and characters and letting me level them up turns out to make the game good

...this is mad wrong. You gotta get your brain checked mate

Westworld Awakening is on sale for 1/3 price. I've heard it's VERY good but I never wanted to play full price.

Has anyone else gotten anything from the VR summer sale?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I played Westworld Awakening, it's a nice linear game with very little actual game. The mechanics are very easy, I only played it for the lore because I enjoy the show

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

Hey, cool! Give my best to the folks who locked down the movement controls, it really feels great. Incidentally I'd love to hear how such a crazy on its face concept was pitched and seen at the start.

Thanks! It was originally pitched under the name "Canoe Commandos"! The idea was to make movement in VR more natural, but I think everyone was pretty skeptical in the beginning - I know I was. In the very early prototypes it was just me and 2 other guys, and we tried out a bunch of different movement mechanics - it was even a powerboat with a steering wheel at one point. I think most people were surprised how immersive it felt to paddle the kayak, when we got it working.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Myssu posted:

Thanks! It was originally pitched under the name "Canoe Commandos"! The idea was to make movement in VR more natural, but I think everyone was pretty skeptical in the beginning - I know I was. In the very early prototypes it was just me and 2 other guys, and we tried out a bunch of different movement mechanics - it was even a powerboat with a steering wheel at one point. I think most people were surprised how immersive it felt to paddle the kayak, when we got it working.

How dare you not stick with this perfection. :colbert:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I set up my HOTAS yesterday and played the tutorial of Elite. It was a really cool experience, even if I'm bad at turning around. I mapped my HOTAS to generic gamepad buttons on Steam, then bound those buttons to different actions in Elite. A small issue is that the HOTAS has more buttons than an xbox controller (and an extra axis), so a few buttons on my HOTAS end up unusable in game. Any easy way around this?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Pretty sure you can directly configure the HOTAS in game if you turn the Steam remapping off.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
so it arrived, its wicked! i'm using an old pair of glasses that fits in til the lenses arrive.

I cant get hand tracking working though, dont see any options in the beta section and i've tried just putting the controllers down for a bit. I seem to have the latest firmware and google aint helping, any ideas?

nevermind, just restarted it and it worked

by.a.teammate fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 30, 2020

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Professor Wayne posted:

I set up my HOTAS yesterday and played the tutorial of Elite. It was a really cool experience, even if I'm bad at turning around. I mapped my HOTAS to generic gamepad buttons on Steam, then bound those buttons to different actions in Elite. A small issue is that the HOTAS has more buttons than an xbox controller (and an extra axis), so a few buttons on my HOTAS end up unusable in game. Any easy way around this?

why are you not just binding HOTAS inputs directly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
It wasn't registering any inputs within the game when I first plugged it in. I spent a little time playing with settings in Steam and Virtual Desktop, and mapping it out as a controller was the first thing that worked. By then, I was just ready to test it out.