Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Stormgale posted:

Yeah, I do get where he's coming from and I feel this article he retweeted is good:

https://twitter.com/PasteMagazine/status/1277634609350692867

The problem is not how full realised the character is, but about the wider context.

exactly. its legit criticism and while i personaly dont have an issue with the set up. i get why folks would and so does he.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i know he pretended to be bi for a while because his marrage was dying and he wanted to look "woke" for twitter or some poo poo. and when the date he set up didnt go well. he blamed the other dude and said he understood how women felt. than people laughed at him and he never mentioned it again.

some people came foreword about how he casting couched them in borderlands and riot. he hasnt gotten work in industry since, i suspect he got black listed.

its mostly small indie projects that he works on along with cartoons i guess. his twitter is mostly him saying various generic "gently caress trump"/random access humor" type poo poo. He is probably never gonna be publicaly named and shamed again, but it wouldnt surprise me either way. he had enough famous friends/aqutences (that he was fine betraying on and off) that he probably quietly got removed and blacklisted rather than outed and ruined.

isn't he the dm on dungeons and daddies? boy when that poo poo hits the fan...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

isn't he the dm on dungeons and daddies? boy when that poo poo hits the fan...

probably. why was he brought up?(and it wasnt me for once) did jim mention him. jim while a good dude, grates on my nerves so i didnt listen his new video. like i think anthony probably is a sex monster for various reasons.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burch has unfortunately sort of moved over to comics, where he even worked with John Carpenter of all people. (Whether there was back and forth involvement or John just saying "Yeah, whatever kid, let me get back to watching my basketball" who can say.) Nothing super high profile yet but maybe he bounced over to comics because gaming wouldn't touch him. He also claims on that Twitter account to have done a voice for an Adventure Time special which is depressing if true.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Stormgale posted:

Yeah, I do get where he's coming from and I feel this article he retweeted is good:

https://twitter.com/PasteMagazine/status/1277634609350692867

The problem is not how full realised the character is, but about the wider context.

yea Noah's being classy as usual by actually listening to people and not letting others take it to a silly 'wow Noah ignore the haters they're NEVER happy' place. His opinion of if the character is realized is kinda moot anyway, the main issue is it's yet another trans/queer character who's main job is to suffer and be The Trans One and then...not much else, as well as the whole 'boy this character gets misgendered and attacked for being trans a lot' being just a super lazy way to establish 'the world is dark and gritty and grim'. Like, it'd be like if to show someone was bad you had them call a black character the n-word. It's not that people don't believe a bad person would be bigoted or even that the bigotry is out of place, but it's just kinda a pointless shock way to add 'grit' that ignores the presence of actual humans who deal with that poo poo anyway.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probably. why was he brought up?(and it wasnt me for once) did jim mention him. jim while a good dude, grates on my nerves so i didnt listen his new video. like i think anthony probably is a sex monster for various reasons.

I brought him up cuz he came to mind once Jim started talking about how the industry is an expert at shuffling problematic people around to different positions in lieu of actually firing them or having them answer legally for worse things. Cuz like you said that was basically what the nerd industry did with Burch.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Vichan posted:

Why does he always sound like someone just shot his dog?

...I still love his videos.

I sometimes listen to Let's Fight a Video Game podcast and the division between Eyepatch Wolf the depressed man and John the whiny boy is pretty funny

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I brought him up cuz he came to mind once Jim started talking about how the industry is an expert at shuffling problematic people around to different positions in lieu of actually firing them or having them answer legally for worse things. Cuz like you said that was basically what the nerd industry did with Burch.

yeah. i mean the dude threw quinn under the bus if i remember and than begged for forgivness in a very pathetic and public way. soon after that a women or two came forward and i guess he still had enough pull get a job at riot where he was openly fired from i believe when they were "cleaning up". my guess is its one of the open secret type deals that blew up internally and now he is out on his rear end. like Ashraf Ismail is a gross gently caress and i am glad he is gone and hopefully gets actual help, but at least he had the fortitude to quite and apologize to his employees and such. burch can't even do that. he just hides behind progressive politics like those uber right wing christian sex monsters hide behind jesus.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 29, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i mean the dude threw quinn under the bus if i remember and than begged for forgivness in a very pathetic and public way. soon after that a women or two came forward and i guess he still had enough pull get a job at riot where he was openly fired from i believe when they were "cleaning up". my guess is its one of the open secret type deals that blew up internally and now he is out on his rear end. like Ashraf Ismail is a gross gently caress and i am glad he is gone and hopefully gets actual help, but at least he had the fortitude to quite and apologize to his employees and such. burch can't even do that. he just hides behind progressive politics like those uber right wing christian sex monsters hide behind jesus.

I remember the most telling thing about Burch was the way he immediately clamped down and pulled the plug on his Twitter account when #MeToo started rolling full force.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I still can't loving believe Burch hounded his wife at the time to open their relationship, and when she finally relented she immediately started getting laid but he couldn't and then whined on twitter about how unfair it was. And then she divorced him. What an honest to god pathetic loving loser.

I hadn't heard about the casting couch poo poo but it doesn't surprise me given he seems to primarily let his dick make hilariously lovely decisions for him.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Anthony Burch got cucked by Rip Smoulderboulder and occasionally I remember that fact and it makes me chuckle.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sydin posted:

I still can't loving believe Burch hounded his wife at the time to open their relationship, and when she finally relented she immediately started getting laid but he couldn't and then whined on twitter about how unfair it was. And then she divorced him. What an honest to god pathetic loving loser.

I hadn't heard about the casting couch poo poo but it doesn't surprise me given he seems to primarily let his dick make hilariously lovely decisions for him.

yeah, the dudes just a loving joke of a human being. i think the whole thing that pissed me off was that he tried to frame everything he did as some big WOKE statement. like pretending to be Bi or talking about how woke his dying marrage was or him hanging up some tweet he got from Anita next to his loving wedding photos. he is just the perfect blend of obvious gross shithead and weird pathetic clown who has to frame everything he does with politics.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

What do these guys think is gonna happen if they open their relationship. None of them are an adonis.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Anthony Burch got cucked by Rip Smoulderboulder and occasionally I remember that fact and it makes me chuckle.

His ex-wife got their Wii-U in the divorce. This makes me chuckle.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

What do these guys think is gonna happen if they open their relationship. None of them are an adonis.

Their thirst is writing checks their body can't cash.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

its a mix. its not always their choice. i have heard stories about the burch affair that she was the one that wanted an open relationship and he said it was cool because it was "progressive" or some poo poo. often its because these dudes think they are more charismatic or famous than they actually are. personally. i dont trust open relationships for personal and because it seems like only some folks can do it sucessfully. but half the time it ends up either like creeps burch or they end up like sad fucks like this dude. https://www.thecut.com/2015/07/what-open-marriage-taught-one-man-about-feminism.html

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 29, 2020

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

it really sucks that 'cuck' is so firmly a right wing term now because Anthony Burch really is the platonic ideal of 'cuck' as an insult

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

it really sucks that 'cuck' is so firmly a right wing term now because Anthony Burch really is the platonic ideal of 'cuck' as an insult

kinda. i mean when i think of that term, i think of either that terrible sex education comic or of him making a lovely face. so yeah probably.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 30, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

sexpig by night posted:

:hmmyes:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Anyone watch Aqualung game reviews? He covers mostly atari, NES, and 16-bit games. Generally a pretty dry delivery with a few one liners slipped in every now and then. Some reviews are all of 3 minutes long, particularly the atari games.

He also does review/walkthrough hybrids that are kind of like abridged let's plays. Recently he's started a new series where he ranks the main songs of a particular game's soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jLMT81nkKE

He has a pretty large catalog of videos, going back like 13-14 years. His older videos occasionally have some rough language (using "retard" as a pejorative, "this enemy will try to rape you", etc), but he appears to have phased it out; I have not caught anything like that in his newer videos.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its a mix. its not always their choice. i have heard stories about the burch affair that she was the one that wanted an open relationship and he said it was cool because it was "progressive" or some poo poo. often its because these dudes think they are more charismatic or famous than they actually are. personally. i dont trust open relationships for personal and because it seems like only some folks can do it sucessfully. but half the time it ends up either like creeps burch or they end up like sad fucks like this dude. https://www.thecut.com/2015/07/what-open-marriage-taught-one-man-about-feminism.html

The main story I heard at the time was Burch wanting an open marriage to explore being bi. His wife at the time was not super into it but went on with it and well.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Zedd posted:

Scott the Woz is cool and gently caress JonTron.

Also going to shout out SomeCallMeJohnny as a normal dude with proven not poo poo opinions talking about games.
Johnny is probably one of the better people to go to if you want, for lack of a better word, regular-rear end reviews that are more about entertainment and how good the story is as opposed to essays on ludonarrative dissonance or whatever the hell Joesph Anderson is recording for 3+ hours.

And I say that as someone who likes that stuff. Well, not so much the 3+ hour video essays.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

By being in a relationship, they're already dating out of their league a d assume that the fact that they're already take is all that stops them from being torn apart by hordes of horny women like a bunch of lions pouncing on a caribou.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly I don't really get why everyone dunks on Burch for his experience with men going poorly (beyond "he was declared Bad so now we have to mock literally everything that happens to him") because... I'm actually a pan dude who can 100% relate

Every time I've gone on Grindr I see basically one cute dude in a sea of gross 50+ truckers and closeted dads/grandpas and get a bunch of pics of malformed penises and hairy buttholes with messages like "WANNA COME SUC?" attached, and then the cute dude never responds to anything (probably because, while I'm not outright disgusting, I'm not exactly 70s-era Freddie Mercury myself)

Attempting to hook up with men is just generally not an incredibly pleasant experience regardless of the gender of the person attempting to do it, from what I gather

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I don't think there's any need to presume that Anthony Burch was lying about being bi unless he says so himself, because whether or not he is bi, he seems like kind of an rear end either way and it doesn't really make a difference.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/p101.php

SF Debris reviews the first episode of Picard. Oof, I've been looking forward to this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

I don't think there's any need to presume that Anthony Burch was lying about being bi unless he says so himself, because whether or not he is bi, he seems like kind of an rear end either way and it doesn't really make a difference.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Honestly I don't really get why everyone dunks on Burch for his experience with men going poorly (beyond "he was declared Bad so now we have to mock literally everything that happens to him") because... I'm actually a pan dude who can 100% relate

Every time I've gone on Grindr I see basically one cute dude in a sea of gross 50+ truckers and closeted dads/grandpas and get a bunch of pics of malformed penises and hairy buttholes with messages like "WANNA COME SUC?" attached, and then the cute dude never responds to anything (probably because, while I'm not outright disgusting, I'm not exactly 70s-era Freddie Mercury myself)

Attempting to hook up with men is just generally not an incredibly pleasant experience regardless of the gender of the person attempting to do it, from what I gather

true. that was genuinely lovely of me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/p101.php

SF Debris reviews the first episode of Picard. Oof, I've been looking forward to this.

i sorta miss TOS weird noble ideals and weird serling plots and twists. now its just this dumb poo poo.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

its really funny op

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Given what's in the google doc and what that indicates about Burch as a person, I see that less as his wife scoring and more his wife finding support to escape an abusive shithead.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Looks like Doctor Disrespect has started his PR campaign, as a bunch of gaming sites are running stories about how he has no idea whatsoever why Twitch banned him and he hasn't done anything wrong.

It's extremely disappointing to see a bunch of sites just reporting his PR bullshit without any thought.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Groovelord Neato posted:

Thanks for that comment, it's hit my self esteem pretty hard. Now I feel like an fat, ugly motherfucker.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Der Shovel posted:

Looks like Doctor Disrespect has started his PR campaign, as a bunch of gaming sites are running stories about how he has no idea whatsoever why Twitch banned him and he hasn't done anything wrong.

It's extremely disappointing to see a bunch of sites just reporting his PR bullshit without any thought.

Has it been reported what he actually has done to earn the ban? So far it's silence from everyone except his "No idea why" PR campaign, so I can see it having a good chance of success.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Nope it's still radio silence on the reason he got permabanned from twitch and also lost his Discord partnership. The latter isn't being discussed as much but I feel is important.

He was the 7th highest streamer on twitch, subscription wise. He had to have done something major.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

it was a while ago so they might’ve changed their mind about it but charlie, burch’s ex spouse, has specifically asked not to be used as a means of dunking on him in the past

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

x1o posted:

Has it been reported what he actually has done to earn the ban? So far it's silence from everyone except his "No idea why" PR campaign, so I can see it having a good chance of success.

The way in that how serious twitch and everyone that knows what happened treats it, it is most likely a criminal investigation, so a PR campaign is just his managers/wife trying to milk the last drops from fans before poo poo goes public.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

watho posted:

it was a while ago so they might’ve changed their mind about it but charlie, burch’s ex spouse, has specifically asked not to be used as a means of dunking on him in the past

Thought Burch's wife was also called Ashley?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Dabir posted:

Thought Burch's wife was also called Ashley?

yeah, they were.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fatherboxx posted:

The way in that how serious twitch and everyone that knows what happened treats it, it is most likely a criminal investigation, so a PR campaign is just his managers/wife trying to milk the last drops from fans before poo poo goes public.

When whatever he did gets dragged out into the spotlight it's probably gonna make what happened with Lowtax look like a picnic. That whole little empire is probably gonna burn itself from the inside-out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t understand why twitch wouldn’t say, even something vague like “crimes.” If he did something bad, news would come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A bunch of his sponsors re-added him to their ad campaigns so the "crime" angle seems slightly less likely.

I guess Twitch has never actually given a reason when they permabanned someone. There was that idiot Ice Poseidon who got SWATTed on an airplane and they didn't give that as a reason when they banned him. There were a couple others too.

Spark That Bled posted:

Thanks for that comment, it's hit my self esteem pretty hard. Now I feel like an fat, ugly motherfucker.

The trick is don't open your relationship.