Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

klosterdev posted:

Why did you offer to set up a website for a director's wife's personal business

Listen the well is quite comfortable there's just a few minor niggles that interrupt what is otherwise a pleasant well-dwelling experience, who are you to denigrate his way of life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

klosterdev posted:

Hey, it's not like he's raking up rocks with the IT Landscaping Crew (TM).

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Hughmoris posted:

Wait what? This happened?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Agrikk posted:

Wait what? This happened?

Methanar origin story

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

Hughmoris posted:

You joke but my old boss at my first IT job back when I was 19 tried to get me to clean his outdoor swimming pool.

klosterdev posted:

Because I knew I would end up troubleshooting/working on it anyway, so would rather it be created with something I have used before and had control over.
And because I am an idiot, obviously.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Whipstickagostop posted:

Because I knew I would end up troubleshooting/working on it anyway, so would rather it be created with something I have used before and had control over.
And because I am an idiot, obviously.

Actually, this is a very smart move:

When your company needs to cut costs 'due to the current situation' (i.e. the CEO's yacht needs an upgrade) and your boss needs to stick a pin in 3 names from a list of 20, you're going to have a little asterisk next to your name that denotes 'the only guy that can keep my wife's website running and if it breaks, she's going to bring up that old conversation about my taking my secretary on a business trip to Cabo')

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, you can keep that job managing the CEO's wife's website that calls you and yells at you when you're super sick. I'll happily find a new job.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Find a new job, then arrange to work on it on a contract basis. $200/hr, 4 hour minimum. Suddenly there will be much less wrong with the site.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I miss the job where I got a free Florida vacation to upgrade computers at the bosses place in Naples every year :smug:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

This year you shouldn't.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Florida is bad every year, just exceptionally worse this year

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Pissing me off: strange network issues.

I have a AcuRite Access network device that allows me up send weather data from my weather station to Weather Underground.

It's designed so that when it's plugged into a network and powered on, it grabs an IP address and turns on a little web portal that gives it's status and has fields to enter weather underground keys.

The strange thing:

When I plug it into a Linksys WRT54GS it works just fine: I plug it in, grab the IP it was assigned via DHCP from the admin console on the Linksys and point a browser to the Acurite for further configuration.

But when I plug it into my home network with a PowerConnect 6248P switch, it picks up an IP address that I can ping, but the web page comes up for about ten minutes and then gives me a "not found" error in a browser. Acurite sent me a replacement and both work on the linksys and not on the PowerConnect switch. I've tried swapping cable, I've dried different ports, I've tried different switch configurations using different DHCP servers on different VLANs (both access and tagged modes), but the result is the same: the IP Address remains stubbornly pingable every time but the web site is unavailable. I've tried playing with PoE settings. I have no port filtering or QoS , or firewalls between the segments.

I have no idea what would stop a web server from running, or block traffic, after working properly for 10 minutes but would allow ICMP traffic just fine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Agrikk posted:

Pissing me off: strange network issues.

Wire shark that bitch

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Is the MAC address still visible on that port in the table?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bob Morales posted:

Wire shark that bitch
Yup. There are two steps to troubleshooting any network problem:

1. Know what you expect to see on the network.
2. Look at what's actually happening on the network.

Ideally you capture traffic at both endpoints, or as close to each endpoint as is practically possible, and if both ends seem to be sending what's expected then you look for anything that's different on the receiving side in unexpected ways. If something is changing in an unexpected way on the network, you then move the capture points closer to each other until you figure out what's changing it.

A single point works, but only to basically bisect the network and be able to say "the problem is on this side of this point".

Wireshark is my hammer for which all network problems look like nails.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

wolrah posted:

Yup. There are two steps to troubleshooting any network problem:

1. Know what you expect to see on the network.
2. Look at what's actually happening on the network.

Ideally you capture traffic at both endpoints, or as close to each endpoint as is practically possible, and if both ends seem to be sending what's expected then you look for anything that's different on the receiving side in unexpected ways. If something is changing in an unexpected way on the network, you then move the capture points closer to each other until you figure out what's changing it.

A single point works, but only to basically bisect the network and be able to say "the problem is on this side of this point".

Wireshark is my hammer for which all network problems look like nails.

This is actually one situation where I like Meraki. It is trivially easy to run a capture on a given port and then download the pcap for analysis.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
A family tech support "ticket" came in.

My aunt fell for one of those tech support scams. She texted me and said she had "Google" on the line. They said her computer was compromised and she needed to buy a Google Play card so they could install a firewall and fix it.

She got as far as giving them remote access to her laptop. I told her to hang up immediately, turn the laptop off and don't use it.

Ugh.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Why did she zip tie all those cables? Why did she zip tie them all, and then zip tie to the bundles to the rack? Why did she zip tie those zip ties to the cable management arms?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Why did she zip tie all those cables? Why did she zip tie them all, and then zip tie to the bundles to the rack? Why did she zip tie those zip ties to the cable management arms?

This is literally a nightmare I’ve had.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Our network monitoring tool finally poo poo the bed today. From what I can tell, it ran out of space, and this made Java incredibly unhappy. I poke around to clear out ancient logs and old stuff, but either something is more corrupt then expected, or I deleted the wrong things. Hopefully its the first one. Either way, we are waiting on another group to restore the VM from Veem, but that could be awhile.
I'd have opened a support ticket, but we decided years ago to get a new product, since the sales engineer of this one was a such rude rear end in a top hat we decided to never talk to them again. So no support.
No replacement in sight either, since that project got torpedeo'd by a manager that wanted it to do some weird edge case thing that no one else cared about. Then he left, but now we missed the window in the budget.

I'm so goddamn tired of being shackled to lovely tools.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My brother is an industrial electrician and he ran in to some cabling problems yesterday:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

tactlessbastard posted:

My brother is an industrial electrician and he ran in to some cabling problems yesterday:

Did they have an electrical fire and just... keep using poo poo after they put it out?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

chin up everything sucks posted:

Did they have an electrical fire and just... keep using poo poo after they put it out?

As someone that works on things that go into these cabinets, absolutely YES. If it doesn't go after a power cycle and some head scratching then it gets fixed immediately, but If it goes, it goes and continues making cookies or plastic bags or washers or whatever. Each hour lost is thousands or even millions of dollars. If it's a good shop they are figuring out when the next downtime is to put in the spare. If it's not so good, they are ordering a spare. If it's real bad, no one even reported that it happened and brother showed up on an unrelated call.

Factories that have some years on them are mostly held together with bullshit fixes and eventually no one really knows how it all works but by god if it works and keeps working it is perfectly good. A lot of factories don't have anyone involved with the knowledge to really fix it, its cobbled together by contractors and vendor sales support.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 30, 2020

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

chin up everything sucks posted:

If it still works? abso-loving-lutely!

taqueso posted:

As someone that works on things that go into these cabinets, absolutely YES. If it doesn't go after a power cycle and some head scratching then it gets fixed immediately, but If it goes, it goes and continues making cookies or plastic bags or washers or whatever. Each hour lost is thousands or even millions of dollars. If it's a good shop they are figuring out when the next downtime is to put in the spare. If it's not so good, they are ordering a spare. If it's real bad, no one even reported that it happened and brother showed up on an unrelated call.

Factories that have some years on them are mostly held together with bullshit fixes and eventually no one really knows how it all works but by god if it works and keeps working it is perfectly good. A lot of factories don't have anyone involved with the knowledge to really fix it, its cobbled together by contractors and vendor sales support.

It's not just factories... also critical public infrastructure :v:

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

"It works for everyone else"

Thanks, that's helpful.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

I can see a big fat dude with a laptop running RSLogix sitting in front of that thing, dumbfounded.

:btroll:

"It don't work".

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

taqueso posted:

Haha that brings back some memories of a couple of jobs ago watching a full crew of 5-6 electricians scouring the place for an issue while others poured over plc ladder logic trying to find out what was causing the whole place to be stopped dead and burning through ~10k a minute.

About a day later someone found a wire that had been cut and taped when something was removed probably before most of them were even born, over time the insulation had deteriorated a bit and then started grounding out on the metal it was zip tied too.

Turns out that wire was for some lllooonnnggg gone safety sensor, but it was still connected back to the PLC and still in the PLC logic to stop everything if it tripped.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Those stories are sadly very common :smith:

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

organburner posted:

"It works for everyone else"

Thanks, that's helpful.

"It worked yesterday"

Edit: "This totally unrelated system is working fine"

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Or my mother, during a power outage, "is the wifi down?"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Marcade posted:

Or my mother, during a power outage, "is the wifi down?"

My whole network is on a UPS including my ONT.
I still have internet when my entire neighborhood is hosed so long as Verizon's switchgear is up at their CO :smug:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I gave one of those telecom brokers/middlemen a try... (Granite Communications if anyone is wondering). Sent them all our telecom bills. They promised to save a bunch and make it so we only pay one bill.

We have 14 locations, they can only do anything with 7 of them. The other 7 they can't touch. So much for one bill.

Their proposal showed $10k per year in savings.. Except they took the services they don't provide (such as security alarm monitoring) and included that in as a "savings". Also, when comparing the amounts from existing carriers, they used the full amount including extra fees like modem rentals, static IP, etc.. in the existing carrier figure. But their own figure does NOT include this, again inflating the "savings".

They also suggested we convert one location from 100Mbps fiber to 12Mbps DSL dry loop from Frontier. Sure its a $300 per month savings...(accounting for $3500 of the "10k" yearly savings) but exchanging an excellent service for a terrible one.

They also wanted to convert our POTS lines over to their hosted voice. Except most of our location phone systems are not SIP capable. Meaning a bunch of ATAs. Which was mentioned, but not factored in. (Need to upgrade these eventually, but its not in the cards, especially right now)

The whole thing was just one big LOL and a waste of time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Those places just spray quotes out all day long for whatever providers they are partnered with and don't actually take into account what's available. They're never going to recommend you a fibre provider that only exists in one city, because they haven't signed a reseller agreement (one might not even exist) and therefore they can't make money off it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Regardless of how bad this quote was...

In retrospect.. seeing it all in one place has made me realize one thing. We could save several thousand per year if we did SIP trunks though any of the myriad of SIP trunk providers instead of going through the local phone and/or cable co. It's where the majority of the savings they quote are at.

Ditching some of the old phone systems could actually pay for itself in a year's time.

We are in the process a of building a new store now and I had planned on going all in VoIP this time around. Either on-prem FreePBX/3CX and YealInk phones, SIP trunks from probably FlowRoute. If it works out at that location I guess I know what my next big project will be.

We have a bunch of extensions at each store location; hosted PBX systems are usually very expensive in this scenario. (since they charge per extension/user).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

stevewm posted:

I gave one of those telecom brokers/middlemen a try... (Granite Communications if anyone is wondering). Sent them all our telecom bills. They promised to save a bunch and make it so we only pay one bill.

We have 14 locations, they can only do anything with 7 of them. The other 7 they can't touch. So much for one bill.

Their proposal showed $10k per year in savings.. Except they took the services they don't provide (such as security alarm monitoring) and included that in as a "savings". Also, when comparing the amounts from existing carriers, they used the full amount including extra fees like modem rentals, static IP, etc.. in the existing carrier figure. But their own figure does NOT include this, again inflating the "savings".

They also suggested we convert one location from 100Mbps fiber to 12Mbps DSL dry loop from Frontier. Sure its a $300 per month savings...(accounting for $3500 of the "10k" yearly savings) but exchanging an excellent service for a terrible one.

They also wanted to convert our POTS lines over to their hosted voice. Except most of our location phone systems are not SIP capable. Meaning a bunch of ATAs. Which was mentioned, but not factored in. (Need to upgrade these eventually, but its not in the cards, especially right now)

Granite signed an exclusive provider deal with a mall one of my customers has a location in. Holy gently caress what a nightmare those idiots have been.

They claim they have multiple fiber links to the building, but somehow they've ended up being bad enough that we're literally shooting a PtP wireless link to another one of the customer's locations down the street as the primary connection and only fall back to Granite when the weather is bad.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Pissing me off, even more:

Management continues to reinforce that student assistants are second-class employees at best. In addition to treating us like we're less competent based on our job titles rather than our actual experience and expertise, they're not loving paying us for the hours we were not allowed to work as normal due to the building being closed down during the protests.

Everyone else on the helldesk is getting paid for those hours. But we're not.

Definitely time to gently caress off out of here.

I brought this perception that I was being treated like a second-class employee up to my boss a few months back and was reassured then that it wasn't intentional, but even if it is not, I'm tired of being hosed around and not allowed to ASSIST with normal loving work. Nothing's changed since then. I directly asked to be involved with more projects, even if it's in a supporting role, and I've gotten one thing that took up a few hours of one day.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Whipstickagostop posted:

You joke but my old boss at my first IT job back when I was 19 tried to get me to clean his outdoor swimming pool.

I dealt with an IT director that asked help desk to bring him milk when had an upset tummy.

Lucky I wasn’t the one the asked to the get milk because I’d have said gently caress no.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

dragonshardz posted:

Management continues to reinforce that student assistants are second-class employees at best.

Yeah, this is pretty much how this works. Sorry. :(

DropsySufferer posted:

I dealt with an IT director that asked help desk to bring him milk when had an upset tummy.

Lucky I wasn’t the one the asked to the get milk because I’d have said gently caress no.

I once worked at a place where there was an "acting IT manager" type guy who was going to be working under the IT Director when they hired them. They hired my friend to be the IT Director and the "acting IT manager" dude told him on the first day that he needed to mop the datacenter. People are so dumb.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

double post;welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

stevewm posted:

We went with a telcom broker a long time ago, and somehow we got lucky and got one that worked extremely well. With help from a person in IT, they went over every phonebill in the company, and saved something like $15k/month. We had bills for frame relay and fractional T1s that hadn't seen use in almost a decade. International service on a phone in a basement that was a open secret in that area, and people would go in there to call overseas. One site had 4+ analog lines that were for a single fax machine.

Another vendor went through 3 years ago, and it was just like you described though. No, we aren't getting rid of 10mb MPLS circuits to get a CenturyLink DSL line, I don't care how loving cheap it is.