Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Have you ever been to the moon?
This poll is closed.
Yes 149 32.82%
Absolutely 100 22.03%
I want to talk to Samson 205 45.15%
Total: 454 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Warlock jump has always kinda been my favourite since once you get used to how it modifies inertia you can do some really cool boosting and gliding around, but god drat is it bad in situations where you aren't pre-planning your flight path ahead of time and just want to get from A to B; it's so strong, yet so weak.

Elysiume posted:

Aren't they super limited on the number of models that can exist at any given time due to console (and/or engine) restrictions? It's why Altar of Sorrow on the moon has enemies sprinting toward a point, because they need a forcing function to despawn enemies or they'd need to throttle down the spawn rate. This may just be an unsubstantiated rumor.

I don't know about that specific case, but Destiny 2 is built on a mountain of compromise to get it working on the PS3 era consoles, they really need to make a proper Destiny 3 for the next-gen systems and have it run on actual dedicated servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Wheeee posted:

I don't know about that specific case, but Destiny 2 is built on a mountain of compromise to get it working on the PS3 era consoles, they really need to make a proper Destiny 3 for the next-gen systems and have it run on actual dedicated servers.

A finger on the monkey's paw curls down, and when installing Destiny 3, a dedicated server executable is installed alongside it that runs at all times and prevents your computer/console from shutting down while it's hosting a match.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
So few Destiny players bother with raiding it really feels like a waste of resources. I've given them up due to PUGs and time constraints. PUGs truly are their own form of hell. Joining a clan mitigates that sure, but I still feel compelled to watch 40 minute long videos describing how to do the raid so I don't gently caress up for the team. And watching a long rear end video, attempting to remember everything, and then to spend 1-2 hours raiding is just.... a lot of time on a single activity that requires I don't leave or have an interruption. Dungeons are really the perfect thing for me at this point. Less mechanics but they're still there. Dying doesn't screw over a long rear end stage like it can in raids. Less time to complete. I'd totally buy Dungeon Pack MTX rather than the season pass crap.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Arkage posted:

So few Destiny players bother with raiding it really feels like a waste of resources.

I've always wondered if this is true.

Also I refuse to believe they abandoned Gambit & Trials and haven't made new strikes or crucible maps in a year because the 'resources' were busy with making Garden of Salvation

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Elysiume posted:

I know you mean player mobility/movement but it's so lazy that they give every boss-type enemy a stomp attack which, coupled with their lovely physics engine, is often just instant death for having the audacity of being within a few meters of the boss. Hate it.
I can't help but feel like fall damage is slightly out of place in this game. Like I feel like a lot of fast paced action shooters have done away with it, particularly when they can lean on some sci-fi/tech fantasy excuse.

It's not the end of the world, since there's arguably skill, mastery, and jumping puzzles that make it into something, but there's other times where it just feels like a nuisance because your sparrow hit the ground funny, or you forgot you were playing Titan and forgot that you need to stop momentum earlier then on Warlock.

Wall splatting on the other hand is just dumb and feels like a spiteful mechanic more times then not. Not just bosses too, loving Taken Phalanxes who sometimes just say gently caress it to the concept of cover or line of sight.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

I died in a Gambit match on the Titan map the other day because I jumped off the conveyor belt at speed and clipped the edge of a platform.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Fly Molo posted:

I’m just really enjoying sci-fi gunplay that has vehicles as an integral part of the gameplay. It’s really satisfying stomping across lines of panicking enemy soldiers, or hitting an enemy mech with a missile and seeing it blow the gently caress up.

What I’m saying is, D2 needs Big Team Battle, with tanks and gunships and stuff. FFS there’s vehicle sections in the campaign, strikes, and patrols, but it’s yet another chunk of the game where they invented like 3 vehicles then abandoned the concept and never implemented or developed it further.

I want to jump in a tank and do wheelies on a space god’s face

Combined arms was a thing in Destiny 1, they were close to making it work but the concept got abandoned very early on :smith:
Of all the things Destiny could crib from Halo, it's the multiplayer game modes like BTB or even mainstays such as capture the flag, but not a peep.

Vehicles in Destiny overall are criminally underused. Especially warthogs. It's a coop/team game for lord's sake

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Destiny PVP was doomed the second they decided to stop chasing the wacky fun of Halo Forge and compete with the MLG crowd instead. I'd play a million rounds of Duck Hunt before I ever try Trials of Osiris again. You can't make hacks to get good at Avalanche :ocelot:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Pirate Jet posted:

Destiny PVP was doomed the second they decided to stop chasing the wacky fun of Halo Forge and compete with the MLG crowd instead. I'd play a million rounds of Duck Hunt before I ever try Trials of Osiris again. You can't make hacks to get good at Avalanche :ocelot:

Are you a time traveler from D2Y1

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Duck Hunt doesn't even work on modern TVs!!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
DAAAAAAAAAAAMN high impact pulse rifles slap this season!! I finally got a Premonition I like (just in time to say goodbye) and it's free kills

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Duck Hunt doesn't even work on modern TVs!!

Duck Hunt was a Halo Forge map where 15 players would navigate a layered obstacle course while a sniper to the side with a view of the whole course would snipe at them. If the sniper killed a “duck” they would also become a sniper. If you made it to the end of the course you were dropped on the platform with an energy sword to kill snipers with.

Eej posted:

Are you a time traveler from D2Y1

No, you’re just stuck in the past.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I genuinely want to play Destiny 2 but I feel totally paralyzed sunsetting. It’s one of those things where I read about it over and over but the details elude me and then I log in and don’t have any concept of what to keep or frag or if upgrading my armor even matters.

I love the mysteries of the game, and I like the no/very few numbers approach, but sunsetting just seems needlessly complicated and stupid even for Bungie, probably overall one of the dumbest things I’ve ever experienced in like 25 years of playing video games.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Would be simpler to just make an event that says:
Darkness comes and erases all your guns. All of them. You can't retrieve them from your collection . You need to re-farm everything
If you give up, the Darkness wins and nukes the solar system. That's how Destiny ends. The bad guys win. Humans become the next Fallen .
Bungie makes Matter 2 years later :)

(half joking)

EDIT: In other news, I am almost at level 65 on the season pass, where I get 2 exotic engrams.
That'd pretty much be the end of me trying to level anything, and I'm left farming Jottun (my current desired exotic).

Question for the goons here: What are my chances of getting Heir Apparent next season?

Sample_text fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 30, 2020

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I genuinely want to play Destiny 2 but I feel totally paralyzed sunsetting. It’s one of those things where I read about it over and over but the details elude me and then I log in and don’t have any concept of what to keep or frag or if upgrading my armor even matters.

I love the mysteries of the game, and I like the no/very few numbers approach, but sunsetting just seems needlessly complicated and stupid even for Bungie, probably overall one of the dumbest things I’ve ever experienced in like 25 years of playing video games.

If you want to play Trials or do GM Nightfalls/Nightmare Hunts use this Seasons guns.

If you don't care and just play casually nothing has changed.

Every gun Shadowkeep and back is sunset in September, outside of Exotics. So Dawn/Worthy/Arrivals stuff is fine. Plus obviously whatever you get in Beyind Light.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Sample_text posted:

Question for the goons here: What are my chances of getting Heir Apparent next season?

Decentish. Though I would say the season after is more likely.

Also, if you enjoy the game, don’t get hung up on sunsetting. I’ve rather enjoyed not caging myself into one or two builds. I really like a couple of the new rolled weapons that I never would have used because I would have forced myself to pick up Recluse yet again.

There is only one weapon that I will really miss, and it’s the only one that I still play with: Goldtusk. I’ve played both of the new swords and I hate them.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Are there any good single player games that are similar to destiny? I am slowly realizing this game isn't for me, with sunsetting and just stupid bugs everywhere.

Also, if this game styles itself a MMO why is it so hard to join someone's fireteam on PC? I have to type in some stupidly long number tag that is impossible to find? Why can't I just type in /join name? Or hell, even right click their name in the clan window and join from there?

Why is it so hard?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Also, if this game styles itself a MMO why is it so hard to join someone's fireteam on PC? I have to type in some stupidly long number tag that is impossible to find?

That number is your Steam ID number. This is probably because of people like "my name is just going to be 12 cloud symbols", or "i'm Well of Radiance symbol, B00b da Builder" or whatever. You can't type that poo poo in.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Or hell, even right click their name in the clan window and join from there?

If they are in your clan, or on your friends list and are online, then you can. Edit: From the "Roster" tab.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Rookersh posted:

If you want to play Trials or do GM Nightfalls/Nightmare Hunts use this Seasons guns.

If you don't care and just play casually nothing has changed.

Every gun Shadowkeep and back is sunset in September, outside of Exotics. So Dawn/Worthy/Arrivals stuff is fine. Plus obviously whatever you get in Beyind Light.
Consider that this season's content offering (Contact) goes from 1020 to 1040, and you get a good indicator of what'll happen for seasonal events in the future.

Getting the new poo poo requires you to use contemporary items and armor, within the last 3 seasons at least.

I'm in the same boat as Bust Rodd, in that sunsetting has killed my motivation to play. I bit the bullet and scrapped everything that was 1060 LL capped. Masterworked armor, weapons, so on, just to start over with what I had picked up from Dawn/Worthy/Arrivals. Dropped from a nearly full vault to roughly 240 items, of which I had significant gaps for certain weapon archetypes.

Aztecross explained it recently in a video of his. The promise was to have powerful weapons with stacked weapon perks. Instead, we ended up grinding a handful of new weapons and a grip of old weapons that are either awkward archetypes and perk combinations, or are the exact same as older seasons versions of the weapons. What's the difference between a Gnawing Hunger from this season and one from Season of the Drifter? Nothing but LL cap. There's nothing that makes Death Adder amazing, except for that it replaces Recluse. There's nothing that makes True Prophecy amazing, but it's replacing Duke, Pribina and Loud Lullaby. There's nothing that makes Dire Promise amazing, except it replaces Spare Rations.

I could keep those individual options around, except I don't want to devote a chunk of my limited vault space to weapons that I can situationally use in Crucible, Strikes, or other Skybox activities.

You can feel the grind sticking like tar when it comes to rebuilding your arsenal of options for future seasonal content.

There's more than a handful of people I've spoken to that are holding on to their old poo poo just in case Bungie pulls their collective head out of their rear end with sunsetting, but I'm not holding my breath.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

XBenedict posted:

If they are in your clan, or on your friends list and are online, then you can. Edit: From the "Roster" tab.

Clan join is broken, you can only join friends.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

XBenedict posted:

That number is your Steam ID number. This is probably because of people like "my name is just going to be 12 cloud symbols", or "i'm Well of Radiance symbol, B00b da Builder" or whatever. You can't type that poo poo in.

This is why my friends list is full of people I don't know. The whole joining/inviting interface is awful - you can't even join people in your clan unless they are also in your friends list! Copying join ID's from Discord makes sense but once you're actually in game the system falls apart.

Sestze posted:

What's the difference between a Gnawing Hunger from this season and one from Season of the Drifter? Nothing but LL cap.

Agreed that this is not good. I already have a Gnawing Hunger I love and now I have to get....the same exact weapon again. I haven't heard anyone who likes that.

MT/Revoker/21% etc are too good to be legendaries and need to be rebalanced for sure though.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Hoping they have fixed all the broken poo poo from the steam migration by next season at least.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

We hope for a lot of things pal

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Are there any good single player games that are similar to destiny? I am slowly realizing this game isn't for me, with sunsetting and just stupid bugs everywhere.

Also, if this game styles itself a MMO why is it so hard to join someone's fireteam on PC? I have to type in some stupidly long number tag that is impossible to find? Why can't I just type in /join name? Or hell, even right click their name in the clan window and join from there?

Why is it so hard?

There's a command you can type to get the game to spit out your ID, and you should be able to copy+paste IDs into game. You can't /join name because names on steam are unique. You should be able to right click join through the clan menus, but that's something Bungie broke in the transition to Steam? The one upshot is you can /join people who aren't on your friends list - I don't know if this was possible on Battle.net.

I can't think of much quite like Destiny, but if for some reason you've slept on Doom 2016/Doom Eternal, there possibly the best it gets for single player FPS in the last decade.

If you want progression/loot games, you might need to look elsewhere? Because as far as other loot shooters, I hear Borderlands 3 and Division 2 have their own shortcomings.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sestze posted:

Consider that this season's content offering (Contact) goes from 1020 to 1040, and you get a good indicator of what'll happen for seasonal events in the future.

Getting the new poo poo requires you to use contemporary items and armor, within the last 3 seasons at least.
Yeah, in spite of them saying sunsetting will only affect specific content, Seraph towers and this Savathûn incursion stuff expect(ed) you to be higher light even in low-light zones. Hopping back in next season just to see that New and Slightly Different Planetary Activity expects you to be light 1100 would make me entirely unsurprised.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 30, 2020

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I originally thought sunsetting would be nbd for most of the game but then they made even random things like the season PE require higher power than you could have last season, so you can basically expect 75% of the existing guns and armor in the game to be worthless against everything the expansion adds, even activities that will become podcast popcorn material once you get enough power level and not really territory where balance matters. it’s dumb as poo poo

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Forsaken raised the power level of Strikes to 500. Tangled Shore and Dreaming City patrol zones were over 500

Shadowkeep raised the power level of Strikes to 750. The Moon is over 800

Strikes and Planets will definitely be increased to ~1,200 next season.

Expect Sunsetting to affect every single mode other than Quickplay, Survival (if it still exists), and the Year 1-3 Patrol zones (although seasonal events/activities on those patrol zones will likely be 1,200+)

It's going to be as significant as the Destiny -> Taken King or Destiny 2 -> Forsaken loot transitions.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I wonder do they expect us to literally scrap all our sunset stuff? No way i'm doing that. I'm still holding out that they'll get a backlash large enough to change their minds and let people enjoy whatever they want to use. Or just sunset the pinnacles and be done with it since they keep dancing around it. That's better than making a handful of guns useable. And retire the dumb armaments mods since they seem to hate those.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Where were all you guys when Taken King came out and everything was sunset?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

We know they have the functionality in-game to have multiple perk options on every gun. Making us grind for one specific drop that we're going to lose is dumb as hell.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Mill Village posted:

1. Not playing Destiny because I didn't own a console
2. The promise of an endless sunsetting treadmill is different from having fewer explicit sunset gates

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Mill Village posted:

I didn't play D1, and I would've felt my time would've been betrayed had I played D1 and eaten a nasty sunset.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Also Taken King was sunsetting a game that was explicitly a disaster, not a game that had been built up to be pretty good over time

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Oxyclean posted:

There's a command you can type to get the game to spit out your ID, and you should be able to copy+paste IDs into game. You can't /join name because names on steam are unique. You should be able to right click join through the clan menus, but that's something Bungie broke in the transition to Steam? The one upshot is you can /join people who aren't on your friends list - I don't know if this was possible on Battle.net.

I can't think of much quite like Destiny, but if for some reason you've slept on Doom 2016/Doom Eternal, there possibly the best it gets for single player FPS in the last decade.

If you want progression/loot games, you might need to look elsewhere? Because as far as other loot shooters, I hear Borderlands 3 and Division 2 have their own shortcomings.

Correction: Names on Steam aren't unique. SteamIDs are.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Taken king was a radical departure that overhauled the game, beyond light just seems like another small shadowkeep style expansion that serves as a continuation, sunsetting is much more egregious there.

Nobody was mad when their fatebringers were gone for tk, because there was much to replace it with. Beyond light is basically another season, more of the same.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I've always wondered if this is true.

Also I refuse to believe they abandoned Gambit & Trials and haven't made new strikes or crucible maps in a year because the 'resources' were busy with making Garden of Salvation

I think this was based off % of people who completed Levaithan according to PSN trophy data or something, 2 or so years after D2 released. Not sure how accurate that would be anymore with F2P & etc.

I would put Raids specifically in context of dungeon creation, not Gambit/Trials. I suspect the raid team splits off to create the dungeons. I'd gladly trade 1 raid for 4 or so dungeons, each tiered at various LLs to work into. As for why Gambit/Trails/Strikes/Crucible is lacking, I blame that on Bungie just being fundamentally unable to push out enough quality content to sustain their GAAS model. It's why Activision hired other teams to put out expansion for them, and even then it didn't feel like enough real content to sustain an entire year. I remember Bungie blaming their engine/tools years ago for slow turnaround. I doubt that stuff ever got substantially fixed.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 30, 2020

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Arkage posted:

I think this was based off % of people who completed Levaithan based on PSN trophy data or something, 2 or so years after D2 released. Not sure how accurate that would be anymore with F2P & etc.

I would put Raids specifically in context of dungeon creation, not Gambit/Trials. I suspect the raid team splits off to create the dungeons. I'd gladly trade 1 raid for 4 or so dungeons, each tiered at various LLs to work into. As for why Gambit/Trails/Strikes/Crucible is lacking, I blame that on Bungie just being fundamentally unable to push out enough quality content to sustain their GAAS model. It's why Activision hired other teams to put out expansion for them, and even then it didn't feel like enough real content to sustain an entire year. I remember Bungie blaming their engine/tools years ago for slow turnaround. I doubt that stuff ever got substantially fixed.

It's entirely possible that all of the actual talent at Bungie is either working on whatever their next IP is, or on unfucking their engine/tools.

Destiny 2 development gets the dregs, layabouts, and interns.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Beyond Light is priced like Taken King and Forsaken. They had more content than Rise of Iron and Shadowkeep. They introduced new subclasses. SK was advertised and priced like ROI. Beyond Light is introducing a new element and subsequent subclasses.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I haven't done any of the raids or dungeons in D2, I didn't even know about the dungeons until they announced the new one for this season, I thought it was just another strike.

I felt like there were enough breadcrumbs in Destiny 1 about the raids, "hey there's the vault of glass, also go really kill Oryx, prison of elders is where you really kill Skolas".

I never got the sense that the raids in D2 were a continuation of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

dragonshardz posted:

It's entirely possible that all of the actual talent at Bungie is either working on whatever their next IP is, or on unfucking their engine/tools.

Destiny 2 development gets the dregs, layabouts, and interns.

Yea that's the other thing. It's safe to assume Bungie has split itself into a different project, while meanwhile the crew still stuck on it is left selling the "WE'RE ALL IN ON DESTINY FOR YEARS NO WORRIES" narrative, fooling no one.