Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

is divinity: dragon commander worth four dollars? i remember people talking about it for a minute.

ive heard so. my understanding is it's a good mix of rts/dragon parts and you can marry a skeleton waifu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doc Hawkins posted:

is divinity: dragon commander worth four dollars? i remember people talking about it for a minute.

yeah it’s funny, there’s also politics you have to make decisions on, like I think gay marriage? I can’t recall, but the skeleton lady has pumpkin boobs

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

C-Spam Opinions on Video Game Wives

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Doc Hawkins posted:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
unfortunately I don't think you can be full communist in Dragon Commander. The lizards are the closest and are basically social democrats iirc

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/Kaizerkunkun/status/1277824544665817089

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

do you get the opportunity to murder this guy

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

SirSamVimes posted:

do you get the opportunity to murder this guy

I don't think so, but you do get the chance to piss him off a whole lot if you support the more leftist/progressive stuff

fwiw he is the shithead capitalism republican, as opposed to the skeleton guy who is a shithead fundamentalist republican who even the dwarf hates

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
The politics side of Dragon Commander was novel enough that I enjoyed it for a full playthrough, but I really didn't enjoy the gameplay. The turn based strategic layer was OK, if a bit simplistic, but I hated the RTS part of it. I might have enjoyed it if there was an option to let the AI command your troops and just fly around as a dragon blowing stuff up, but having to constantly switch got really annoying. By the end of the game, I was just ignoring the RTS aspect altogether and just auto-resolving all the battles.

Sometimes I think about doing another playthrough, because the part where you get to legalize gay marriage which causes a skeleton to yell at you was pretty great.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

sure, it's worth $4 but it's not worth your time if you can play other, good games

i tried it out years ago and thought the battles were the absolute worst RTS drivel, like spore level

Serf
May 5, 2011

troubleshooter: abandoned children delivers on being korean cartoon x-com with disgaea-level customization and depth. just replace item worlds with tons of loving abilities to mix and match. you can make some wild builds in this game. unfortunately the translation is really poor, and while i wouldn't mind if it was just the story there are lots of errors and confusing statements in the mechanical stuff that makes it hard to pick things. combat is loads of fun tho

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Taintrunner posted:

clearly you’ve never played *checks notes* the entirety of the hitman franchise????

Yeah seriously like have you played any Hitman game before 2016 lmao

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

oscarthewilde posted:

hot take: mass effect 1 was the only good one.

this is correct

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Farm Frenzy posted:

and then check out blood money because its still got a lot of great levels. absolution is like a world historic flop that im sure some dumbass goon out there would love to defend but its gameplay just doesnt resemble the good hitmans at all

its me, im the scrub who enjoyed going through the entirety of absolution getting silent assassin

the dominatrix gun nuns were way overblown fyi

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
'Playing' Detroit Become Human and it definitely seems like the least aggresively dumb out of the David Cage games. The gameplay is still the same inane dogshit 'press butan' stuff, but the story has some decent reactivity. Not Alpha Protocol levels, but way more than any Telltale game. So far I've finished it once and there seemed to be a decent amount of branching opening up around mid-way, some even leading to completely different chapters I think.

Started a second playthrough where I intend to just antagonize everyone and be a colossal fuckup and see what happens. Got to Kara's chapter and looks like I deleted Alice from the story, lol
It could have been a decent game if it wasn't a CYOA movie.

Also you can lead a slave rebellion and shoot some cops. The resolution of that path is surprisingly decent,. I was expecting a standard vidyagame libbrain 'violence bad' take, but you do kinda achieve your goals by the end of it.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

at best, david cage games are just interactive fiction games with insane production values. it's a bit weird that he makes games with stratospheric production costs in a genre that is 99% dominated by games made by two people on a budget of $10, but whatever. the problem is that the fiction that he writes is dogshit

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
On that note, no one buy Beyond Two Souls even on sale, that one is loving dire. First in a long time when I actually got mad at a vibeojame. Just an insanely creepy story about David Cage's dream teen waifu.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
should I get Total War Rome Emperor's Edition, Total War Attilllaa, or both?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Serf posted:

troubleshooter: abandoned children delivers on being korean cartoon x-com with disgaea-level customization and depth. just replace item worlds with tons of loving abilities to mix and match. you can make some wild builds in this game. unfortunately the translation is really poor, and while i wouldn't mind if it was just the story there are lots of errors and confusing statements in the mechanical stuff that makes it hard to pick things. combat is loads of fun tho
on the subject of korean games, lobotomy corporation is getting a new translator for their english version after sales turned out okay for them enough to start up a sequel

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

grate deceiver posted:

On that note, no one buy Beyond Two Souls even on sale, that one is loving dire. First in a long time when I actually got mad at a vibeojame. Just an insanely creepy story about David Cage's dream teen waifu.

Ellen Page is poo poo, the absolute worst.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

should I get Total War Rome Emperor's Edition, Total War Attilllaa, or both?

I personally like Attila more but it depends on whether you are more interested in the early republic or late antiquity as a setting.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

how much you get out of a total war game is pretty much entirely dependent on how cool you think the setting is. the warhammer ones at least have cool monsters and poo poo and the battles involve something more than just hammer+anviling opposing armies all day.

Retromancer has issued a correction as of 15:14 on Jun 30, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

get the original Rome Total War or Attila, Rome 2 sucks. I don’t like Attila much to be honest, either, the cities/disasters/migration system all don’t work very well and you spend way too much time managing fiddly nonsense like that weird coherence religiosity mechanic and the attempts to gamify other low medieval things like deurbanization were laudable but just not a lot of fun imo. the biggest problem with Attila is that all the stuff you do to get to fights is overcomplicated and takes a long time and then the fights themselves aren’t really as good as older games

the original Rome on the other hand is a perfect balance of the two if you can deal with the bad graphics. imo that and medieval 2 are the best of the series with warhammer 2 a close runner up

Napoleon is fun too

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Communist Bear posted:

Ellen Page is poo poo, the absolute worst.

Wait, what? How is Ellen Page the rear end in a top hat in this scenario?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

BBJoey posted:

at best, david cage games are just interactive fiction games with insane production values. it's a bit weird that he makes games with stratospheric production costs in a genre that is 99% dominated by games made by two people on a budget of $10, but whatever. the problem is that the fiction that he writes is dogshit

he's also insanely loving creepy about basically every major female character in his games. the madison poo poo in heavy rain was loving disgusting.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

he's also insanely loving creepy about basically every major female character in his games. the madison poo poo in heavy rain was loving disgusting.

this is actually the through-line of his work tbh, there was a deeply uncomfortable loving scene in indigo prophecy too

did omikron have one too or had we not gotten that far yet

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

The guy loves writing sequences where women are chased around a David Fincheresque house by gross middle aged guys. It happens like 3 times in Detroit depending on your choices.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

To get the thread back on topic for the critical things

Mass Effect Waifu tier

1. Miranda
2. Liara
3. Tali

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
1) vega but only to look at
2) garrus
3) wrex

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zvahl posted:

1) vega but only to look at
2) garrus
3) wrex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Fjc1hBwuE

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

grate deceiver posted:

naw it was fine, basically 11 from stranger things, just make sure you don't hook up with sleazy cia guy which the game seems to want you to do. why did you think it was creepy? murdering people with your poltergeist bro was entertaining.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Medieval 2 with Europa Barbarorum 2 installed is the best total war.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

My hot take is that simplistic graphical design is good because fully utilizing all the visual detail allowed by current and future technology is going to require increasing amounts of labor from 3D artists and that just exacerbates the unhealthy amount of crunch demanded by studios.

not a very hot take since it's just reality :v:

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I'm playing company of heroes again, I forgot how good it was. I remember 2 not being as good for some reason but can't remember why, gonna play it after and find out. One thing about it is one of the most ridiculous monetization schemes of any RTS. Charging like 4 bucks for a vehicle skin, lmao

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I'm playing company of heroes again, I forgot how good it was. I remember 2 not being as good for some reason but can't remember why, gonna play it after and find out. One thing about it is one of the most ridiculous monetization schemes of any RTS. Charging like 4 bucks for a vehicle skin, lmao

The factions were way too samey in CoH2 compared to CoH, the commander feature they tried to monetize their game with blew rear end compared to the CoH1 doctrine system, and the campaign's story was literally full of nazi propaganda lol

NOT A VERY GOOD PLACE FOR TEE SEVENTY! loving MOTHERFUCKERS!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Grevling posted:

Medieval 2 with Europa Barbarorum 2 installed is the best total war.

you misspelled stainless steel with all the grog poo poo turned on

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Frog Act posted:

you misspelled stainless steel with all the grog poo poo turned on

this is correct

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I say Europa barbarorum because with all the extremely nerdy attention to detail it's all almost like reading a history book as much as it is playing a game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Zvahl posted:

this is actually the through-line of his work tbh, there was a deeply uncomfortable loving scene in indigo prophecy too

did omikron have one too or had we not gotten that far yet

haven't played it myself but as i understand it, at one point you brainjack some guy and then have sex with his wife

so to answer your question: yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah EU is one of the most impressively thorough mods i've played in terms of pure historicism. i love stainless steel as well but these days i don't usually have the wherewithal to play either since they're both hard as poo poo and require a major commitment to strategic planning

anyway i'm thinking i might buy one more thing during the summer sale and i want a good FPS. i've been playing day of defeat source and battlefield bad company 2 and i'm sort of considering picking up post scriptum. anyone got any thoughts on that? i was looking at war of rights because i'd love a civil war game but between the name and the bad reviews that just seems like a bad call