Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I like my t470 thinkpad better than the 2020 MBP. I just have to get used to it, but I miss the tank of a T series. I guess it's good to have both, but I'll continue my serious typing/poo poo posting from a lenovo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I'm looking to get a new laptop, since my current laptop (surface book) is 5 years old and hasn't really suited my needs for a long time. This would primarily for being able to play games when traveling (2-3 eve clients or black desert online), and I'd like to keep it at 1500 and under, but could stretch to 2k+ if there's a good justification for it. Right now I'm looking between the zephyrus g14 and m15--basically 8-core ryzen9 + 2060 or 6-core intel with 2070. I think the cpu is more valuable since I usually play everything on potato settings, and BDO will utilize but not necessarily cap 8 threads. Any opinions on which of these would be better or if there's a differnent model I should be considering?

Edit: I guess also the TUF A15

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 29, 2020

Yes Man Kablam
Mar 18, 2010

The Big Jesus posted:

Loving mine. Coming from an xps15 circa 2017, so it was time.

Same, I’ve had mine for over a week and so far it’s just as expected, and with no trackpad issues.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My wife was issued an HP Elitebook 745 G5 (Ryzen 5 PRO 2500U, one stick of 8 GB DDR4) by her office, but now she's resigning so I'm planning on getting her her own actually-personal laptop.

Something with specs similar to that might be outside of my price range (say 400 to 500 USD), but my bigger concern is that she thinks the screen on it is really nice, and that the laptop speakers are really nice. How do I begin to check for laptops to find something like that?

EDIT: A quick browse tells me that the Ryzen-grade CPU might be reachable after all in sub-550 USD Lenovo Ideapads, Asus Vivobooks, or Acer Aspires, and so on, but I'm still wondering how can I actually check for something with good sound.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 29, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Laptop-X230-i5-3320m-2-60GHz/dp/B0184YNXWK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

This looks cool
An x230 that says it has an IPS panel and an SSD. I'm not sure I trust the company though. Having an IPS panel would save me the trouble of soldering. I think it would be fun to install coreboot, maybe Gentoo. I wouldn't even install an X server, keep it all on the terminal.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a way to clean a laptop chiclet keyboard? I'm not sure what happened, but the c key on my keyboard is messed up. Maybe something got spilled on it while I was out of the house, all I know is that it takes forever to return after being pressed and it takes a lot more force to actuate (3-4x) than the rest of the keys. Basically 90% of the time I have to use it, I have to tap it twice because it doesn't register with how I normally type. I scraped around the outside in case some grime was blocking it, but it didn't work.

If it was a mechanical keyboard I would think that something was stuck in the switch and I would pull the switch and blow it out with compressed air, but I have no idea how that works with chiclet keyboards. I've got one of the EVOO gaming laptops, and given that I'm guessing turnaround on replacement parts is still pretty slow what with the global pandemic that happened a month or two after I bought this computer, I want to minimize my chances of having to buy something after breaking it worse.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

excellent bird guy posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Laptop-X230-i5-3320m-2-60GHz/dp/B0184YNXWK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

This looks cool
An x230 that says it has an IPS panel and an SSD. I'm not sure I trust the company though. Having an IPS panel would save me the trouble of soldering. I think it would be fun to install coreboot, maybe Gentoo. I wouldn't even install an X server, keep it all on the terminal.

You don't need to solder to swap in a 1366x768 IPS. Just find a clean X230 that someone isn't trying to get $350 for, then buy the right screen on eBay.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there a way to clean a laptop chiclet keyboard? I'm not sure what happened, but the c key on my keyboard is messed up. Maybe something got spilled on it while I was out of the house, all I know is that it takes forever to return after being pressed and it takes a lot more force to actuate (3-4x) than the rest of the keys. Basically 90% of the time I have to use it, I have to tap it twice because it doesn't register with how I normally type. I scraped around the outside in case some grime was blocking it, but it didn't work.

If it was a mechanical keyboard I would think that something was stuck in the switch and I would pull the switch and blow it out with compressed air, but I have no idea how that works with chiclet keyboards. I've got one of the EVOO gaming laptops, and given that I'm guessing turnaround on replacement parts is still pretty slow what with the global pandemic that happened a month or two after I bought this computer, I want to minimize my chances of having to buy something after breaking it worse.

Most laptop keyboards are a membrane model

To clean, remove and clean, or replace

Depending on the Thinkpad model you can just pour water on the keyboard, slowly

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I looked up membrane keyboard, and I don't think that's it unless I"m misunderstanding the term. I could see the bottom of the keycap when I was trying to scrape around the edges to see if there was something jammed between the key and the hole in the keyboard causing it to stick.

I heard this described as chiclet before, but judging by what the side of the cap looked like and a point where the paint wore off the backlit S key, I think it might be a low profile scissor switch. I definitely see a little button through the hole in the paint. Is it safe to just pry one of those up like you could with a mechanical keyboard's cap? I know I've accidentally broken scissor switch caps off and put them back on, but I'm not counting on a modern keyboard being as durable as my junior high alphasmart.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I looked up membrane keyboard, and I don't think that's it unless I"m misunderstanding the term. I could see the bottom of the keycap when I was trying to scrape around the edges to see if there was something jammed between the key and the hole in the keyboard causing it to stick.

I heard this described as chiclet before, but judging by what the side of the cap looked like and a point where the paint wore off the backlit S key, I think it might be a low profile scissor switch. I definitely see a little button through the hole in the paint. Is it safe to just pry one of those up like you could with a mechanical keyboard's cap? I know I've accidentally broken scissor switch caps off and put them back on, but I'm not counting on a modern keyboard being as durable as my junior high alphasmart.

They are all a little bit different. I've broken a few ThinkPad keys taking them off the wrong way, but you generally can take them off if you're careful (start from the top vs bottom or whatever the case may be). Then you just clean the rubber sheet off and clean the key and hinge with say a q-tip and rubbing alcohol.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yes Man Kablam posted:

Same, I’ve had mine for over a week and so far it’s just as expected, and with no trackpad issues.

How are the thermals for the worst case use?

I imagine it would be somewhat better than the revamped XPS 15 due to the use of vapor chamber cooling.

Yes Man Kablam
Mar 18, 2010
The most I’ve hammered it was playing the Witcher 3 on High settings locked at 60fps, and I checked the thermals and the GPU went up to high 60s whilst the CPU jumped to high 70s. I’ve yet to have it go any higher than that particularly, but I mostly use it for music and less intensive tasks. Fans are relatively inoffensive too, only kicking in when needed and definitely not the sound of a jet engine like some others.

Screen is beautiful, speakers are good for a laptop, and trackpad is fine, no issues for me like the first batch of 15s but not as nice to use as a MacBook, although I’m usually using a mouse with it!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Speaking of which, do y’all have any favorite carrying bags/cases for a 17” laptop? Something that offers some amount of protection, preferably checkpoint-friendly, with at least a shoulder strap and (I hope) a trolley strap.

I’ve got about $200 in Dell Rewards bucks, so I’d like to get it from there if I can, unless I can get a better one elsewhere or y’all can think of something better to spend that money on instead.

Okay so... since no one in this thread seems to have an answer for this question or my earlier identical one about carrying bags for that XPS 15 I sent back, I’m guessing that this isn’t the best thread to ask about that sort of thing. Which, I mean, this is an SH/SC megathread about laptops, not laptop accessories, so yeah, I totally get that. But I don’t really know what other thread(s) to post this question in; SH/SC doesn’t have a thread for questions about accessories, and I sure as hell don’t have enough fancy book-larnin’ about that type of thing to make a Computer Accessories thread myself. I THINK PYF may still have a Product Recommendations thread, but that thread moves pretty slow from what I remember, and my questions there seem to get ignored about half the time.

I guess what I’m saying is, do y’all know what other thread(s) are better places to ask for recs on good laptop carrying bags? Do I need to try my luck in PYF again, if that thread is still around?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I know that historically there are a few people ITT that have advised on laptop bags, but most of the people that ask that question have like a 12-14 inch PC :shrug:

The products I have personal experience with to recommend are not designed to work with your laptop and your laptop size is not a size most people own in 2020. Most of the time if I take anything bigger than the xps 13 it goes in a larger bag than you're looking for.

In general I've had good luck just following basic purchasing logic at amazon when buying these things.

one thing I could maybe recommend is compare the dimensions of your computer to the various apple models and finding something advertised to work with whichever is closest. thats how i picked bags for my xps 13 and 15 mostly.

Worf fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 30, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

I know that historically there are a few people ITT that have advised on laptop bags, but most of the people that ask that question have like a 12-14 inch PC :shrug:

The products I have personal experience with to recommend are not designed to work with your laptop and your laptop size is not a size most people own in 2020. Most of the time if I take anything bigger than the xps 13 it goes in a larger bag than you're looking for.

In general I've had good luck just following basic purchasing logic at amazon when buying these things.

one thing I could maybe recommend is compare the dimensions of your computer to the various apple models and finding something advertised to work with whichever is closest. thats how i picked bags for my xps 13 and 15 mostly.
I recently started a new job and the new work laptop is a 15.6” workstation while the old laptop was a 12.5” Latitude (actually quite powerful, I really liked it). This means my trusty medium Timbuk2 won’t fit the new laptop. I have a couple months to find a new bag before telework ends but I wasn’t looking forward to spending $200.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a couple months to find a new bag before telework ends

lol not something i would put money on

why, yes i am american

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yes Man Kablam posted:

The most I’ve hammered it was playing the Witcher 3 on High settings locked at 60fps, and I checked the thermals and the GPU went up to high 60s whilst the CPU jumped to high 70s. I’ve yet to have it go any higher than that particularly, but I mostly use it for music and less intensive tasks. Fans are relatively inoffensive too, only kicking in when needed and definitely not the sound of a jet engine like some others.

Screen is beautiful, speakers are good for a laptop, and trackpad is fine, no issues for me like the first batch of 15s but not as nice to use as a MacBook, although I’m usually using a mouse with it!

Cools thanks for the review, sounds like the thermals for XPS 17 are abig improvement over the XPS 15.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

I. M. Gei posted:

Okay so... since no one in this thread seems to have an answer for this question or my earlier identical one about carrying bags for that XPS 15 I sent back, I’m guessing that this isn’t the best thread to ask about that sort of thing. Which, I mean, this is an SH/SC megathread about laptops, not laptop accessories, so yeah, I totally get that. But I don’t really know what other thread(s) to post this question in; SH/SC doesn’t have a thread for questions about accessories, and I sure as hell don’t have enough fancy book-larnin’ about that type of thing to make a Computer Accessories thread myself. I THINK PYF may still have a Product Recommendations thread, but that thread moves pretty slow from what I remember, and my questions there seem to get ignored about half the time.

I guess what I’m saying is, do y’all know what other thread(s) are better places to ask for recs on good laptop carrying bags? Do I need to try my luck in PYF again, if that thread is still around?

Laptop bags are like regular bags in that everyone has slightly different needs and preferences. Some people want something small and thin that they can slip into their regular backpack, others want a full sized backpack replacement to also carry peripherals, some want briefcase-style for setting on their carry-on handle when traveling, etc. It's hard to give advice in this area, especially when you want one for something of unusual size (17" monsters have historically been discouraged in this thread).

If it was the XPS15 I could tell you to look for Macbook bags since they're almost identical in dimensions but I don't know anything for a 17". If you're limiting yourself to the Dell store the selection is probably so small that you don't really need help to pick through that list anyways. Review sites like Wirecutter might have recommendations but you have to always keep in mind their reasoning for any given rating might not entirely apply to you.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Just for you, I checked my bags. Fits in my ogio backpack, fits in my fossil messenger bag, fits in my other messenger bag. It's not that much bigger than my 2017 xps 15 so I'm not surprised. Maybe just a half inch longer. If you're looking for something super-fit like a sleeve yeah that may be hard, but if you're looking for a bag, anything that says it fits regular 15 inch laptops should work.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

isndl posted:

Laptop bags are like regular bags in that everyone has slightly different needs and preferences. Some people want something small and thin that they can slip into their regular backpack, others want a full sized backpack replacement to also carry peripherals, some want briefcase-style for setting on their carry-on handle when traveling, etc. It's hard to give advice in this area, especially when you want one for something of unusual size (17" monsters have historically been discouraged in this thread).

If it was the XPS15 I could tell you to look for Macbook bags since they're almost identical in dimensions but I don't know anything for a 17". If you're limiting yourself to the Dell store the selection is probably so small that you don't really need help to pick through that list anyways. Review sites like Wirecutter might have recommendations but you have to always keep in mind their reasoning for any given rating might not entirely apply to you.

Okay fine, I’ll rephrase a bit.

I’m looking for a laptop carrying bag/case that will fit a new Dell XPS 17. I need something messenger bag or briefcase style, with regular carrying handles, a shoulder strap, and a trolley strap (aka that thing you use to strap it to the handle on your rolling luggage). I don’t give a loving poo poo how big it is, as long as I can carry it around in one hand. I DON’T WANT A loving BACKPACK, and I don’t want it to have wheels or a telescopic handle like a suitcase unless that’s the best I can get with all of the other features I want. I also don’t give a poo poo how much it costs.

I DO NOT have to get it from Dell.com like I mentioned earlier; I can save that Dell Rewards money for something else.

Here’s a list of the features I NEED it to have:
• Impact resistant and/or shock resistant
• Water resistant
• All the other poo poo I said in the paragraph above

And the features I REALLY REALLY WANT IF I CAN GET THEM, but don’t necessarily need:
• Checkpoint friendly
• Enough storage space to hold a power cable, a mouse, maybe a peripheral or two, etc

Or, if y’all don’t have any recommendations for specific cases or bags, then can you at least tell me other places I can go to find some? I’ve already checked Dell.com and Amazon, and Google isn’t showing me many other options besides Best Buy or Staples. I don’t want any cheap Chinese garbage like Amazon seems to be filled with nowadays.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 1, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm not sure if impact resistant means rigid or just padded, but if you want American made and quality design, Waterfield Designs has never steered me wrong. You will pay for it though.

https://www.sfbags.com/

In particular, this looks really nice and the dimensions they give for the laptop pocket will fit an XPS 17.

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/shoulder-messenger-bags/products/cargo-laptop-bag?tab=Video

Again, not cheap ($349), but I think it ticks the boxes except TSA and it will last forever.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure if impact resistant means rigid or just padded, but if you want American made and quality design, Waterfield Designs has never steered me wrong. You will pay for it though.

https://www.sfbags.com/

In particular, this looks really nice and the dimensions they give for the laptop pocket will fit an XPS 17.

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/shoulder-messenger-bags/products/cargo-laptop-bag?tab=Video

Again, not cheap ($349), but I think it ticks the boxes except TSA and it will last forever.

$349 is gonna be a bit too steep for me. I can do around $200, maybe slightly more if the features are worth it, but that’s about where my limit is.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Man that's just like a lot of things you expect(/need?) from a bag what the gently caress are you doing with it?

I traveled with my xps15 in a regular rear end backpack every week for work for like a year and had no problems. Also didn't have to take it out ever but maybe that's cause I'm tsa precheck

E: also carried it around in my messenger bag for two years for grad school and it was fine

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Various offerings by pelican? Assuming you're asking for hard case

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/products/cases/laptop-cases

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
gently caress yea buy Pelican they were my last client and are good people

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I. M. Gei posted:

Okay fine, I’ll rephrase a bit.

I’m looking for a laptop carrying bag/case that will fit a new Dell XPS 17. I need something messenger bag or briefcase style, with regular carrying handles, a shoulder strap, and a trolley strap (aka that thing you use to strap it to the handle on your rolling luggage). I don’t give a loving poo poo how big it is, as long as I can carry it around in one hand. I DON’T WANT A loving BACKPACK, and I don’t want it to have wheels or a telescopic handle like a suitcase unless that’s the best I can get with all of the other features I want. I also don’t give a poo poo how much it costs.

I DO NOT have to get it from Dell.com like I mentioned earlier; I can save that Dell Rewards money for something else.

Here’s a list of the features I NEED it to have:
• Impact resistant and/or shock resistant
• Water resistant
• All the other poo poo I said in the paragraph above

And the features I REALLY REALLY WANT IF I CAN GET THEM, but don’t necessarily need:
• Checkpoint friendly
• Enough storage space to hold a power cable, a mouse, maybe a peripheral or two, etc

Or, if y’all don’t have any recommendations for specific cases or bags, then can you at least tell me other places I can go to find some? I’ve already checked Dell.com and Amazon, and Google isn’t showing me many other options besides Best Buy or Staples. I don’t want any cheap Chinese garbage like Amazon seems to be filled with nowadays.

The only tricky thing is the size of the XPS 17. I really like Tom Bihn. Made in Seattle with lifetime warranty and pretty much checks all your boxes. I would measure the XPS dimensions and see if it fits into their laptop fit guide.

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/laptop-bags

Take a look at those. I'm partial to the Cadet or Empire Builder.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
I'm a fan of Timbuk2 bags.

https://www.timbuk2.com/collections/all-messenger-bags?page=1&refine=device-17

edit: Looks like they can't hit all your requirements but just want to through out a general recommendation to the thread anyway.

Spectracide fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 1, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mu Zeta posted:

The only tricky thing is the size of the XPS 17. I really like Tom Bihn. Made in Seattle with lifetime warranty and pretty much checks all your boxes. I would measure the XPS dimensions and see if it fits into their laptop fit guide.

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/laptop-bags

Take a look at those. I'm partial to the Cadet or Empire Builder.

Interesting, someone in PYF recommended the Cadet and yeah, it checks all of my boxes except for the trolley strap. I have actually been in situations where I needed to fix a bag to a rolling suitcase handle — many times, even — so a trolley strap would be pretty handy. EDIT: Actually yes it does have a trolley strap, they just did a terrible loving job of mentioning it. For some reason they decided to bury that detail at the bottom of a big huge longass block o’ text and didn’t even have the basic intelligence or decency to include a good photo of it in action. :downs:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 1, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Empire has it. But it's big.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

re: bag chat

Shock proof, water resistant etc

You'd be a lot better off just getting a Thinkpad P73 which is those, literally, out of the box. Buying the XPS 17 is kind of a bad move if you are depending on the bag to protect your fragile laptop. Then with a mil-spec 17" laptop, you can just worry about finding a sleeve and a regular bag.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Anyone know what the deal is with upgrading ram in laptops? I'm looking to upgrade to 32GB. It sounds like laptops basically don't let you turn on XMP profiles or otherwise tweak ram settings. If I want the ram to run at 2933, do I basically have to find memory like this that lists 2993 for JEDEC/PnP instead of only having 2933 as an xmp profile?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m looking for a laptop carrying bag/case that will fit a new Dell XPS 17.
You and I have almost identical requirements. I need something to carry a 15.6" workstation laptop to/from work on the subway, but since it's bigger than most 15", it's probably safer to get something that fits a 17" laptop. I also want the bag to be big enough to fit a toiletry bag and other stuff for when I travel, but I suppose anything that fits a 17" will probably be big enough. I also have a $200 budget that could stretch for something amazing. Specifically:
-Messenger/briefcase style
-Trolley strap on back to attach to rollaboard
-Laptop compartment should have padding on the bottom which many bags exclude because they're designed by morons
-Water resistant obviously otherwise you're not protecting the laptop or documents
-External side pocket for water bottle

I currently have an old Timbuk 2 that I'd just keep using but it only holds a 13" laptop. I'd also prefer something that looks a bit more professional, but that probably means leather which also means it's out of my price range.

The Commute 2.0 in large comes close but I don't like how it looks and it seems way smaller than the previous Commute. Of course, the previous one is no longer available.

In the likely event I can't find anything I love, I may just keep using my old bag since my work laptop fits in the main compartment, just not in the laptop sleeve. It'll be padded from the back due to the sleeve, and fortunately it's padded from the bottom since entire bottom of the bag has padding, not just the laptop sleeve. It won't be padded from the sides or front but I can always place it in the bag with the screen facing the padded back. Probably good enough for a work laptop.

Hadlock posted:

Then with a mil-spec 17" laptop, you can just worry about finding a sleeve and a regular bag.
I like the idea of the flexibility of a sleeve + regular bag setup, especially since the regular bag can be used to carry stuff for a weekend outing without the bulk of the laptop sleeve and it's easier to wash if there's no absorbent fabric/padding inside. However, it seems bags without a laptop sleeve are an afterthought these days and poorly designed.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 1, 2020

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Re: Bags I have a Thule shoulder bag that's meant to carry a 15" MacBook, it just barely fits my Alienware 13 haha.
It's been a great bag though.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
Needing a laptop for basic office purposes, Youtube, sporadic strategy/city builder games, running Fantasy Grounds, maybe some light photoshop work and basic audio editing. Going ultralight isn't crucial but I don't want the fattest brick with the loudest fans either. Ideal budget in the $500-$600 range. I'm seeing a refurbed T470s with 1080p screen, dual i5, 12gb ram, 256gb storage for around $550 on ebay, or I can use a company discount to get a new Inspiron with extra ram & storage against the base model (8/256 respectively) for $480, although I'm guessing the monitor will be worse in addition to the overall lower build quality. If there are other refurbs I should be looking at please let me know, this is a total blind spot for me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Lyman posted:

You and I have almost identical requirements. I need something to carry a 15.6" workstation laptop to/from work on the subway, but since it's bigger than most 15", it's probably safer to get something that fits a 17" laptop. I also want the bag to be big enough to fit a toiletry bag and other stuff for when I travel, but I suppose anything that fits a 17" will probably be big enough. I also have a $200 budget that could stretch for something amazing. Specifically:
-Messenger/briefcase style
-Trolley strap on back to attach to rollaboard
-Laptop compartment should have padding on the bottom which many bags exclude because they're designed by morons
-Water resistant obviously otherwise you're not protecting the laptop or documents
-External side pocket for water bottle
Well this doesn't match the requirements exactly but I'll just share what I know. I got the Lenovo Executive case recently: https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/accessories-and-monitors/travelers/CASE-BO-Executive-Top-load/p/4X40E77322

It fits a T520 in the padded pouch with a lot of effort, or in the actual compartment easily. So any modern 15" shouldn't be a problem. It's leather so reasonably weather proof. No side pockets though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bread Dragon posted:

Needing a laptop for basic office purposes, Youtube, sporadic strategy/city builder games, running Fantasy Grounds, maybe some light photoshop work and basic audio editing. Going ultralight isn't crucial but I don't want the fattest brick with the loudest fans either. Ideal budget in the $500-$600 range. I'm seeing a refurbed T470s with 1080p screen, dual i5, 12gb ram, 256gb storage for around $550 on ebay, or I can use a company discount to get a new Inspiron with extra ram & storage against the base model (8/256 respectively) for $480, although I'm guessing the monitor will be worse in addition to the overall lower build quality. If there are other refurbs I should be looking at please let me know, this is a total blind spot for me.

The screen on the T470S (while 1080p and IPS) isn't very good. The colors suck and the brightness is lacking. I have one as my work laptop but I'm plugged into a pair of 27" monitors all day.

If you can find one with the QHD (2560x1440?) option, it's a much better screen.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T470s-What-is-the-best-display-option.223460.0.html

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thinkpad X13 Ryzen laptops now available. Starts at $630 for a crappy config (don't buy this one)
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/epp_cocacola/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X13-amd/p/22TPX13X3A2

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Thinkpad X13 Ryzen laptops now available. Starts at $630 for a crappy config (don't buy this one)
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/epp_cocacola/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X13-amd/p/22TPX13X3A2
The Ryzen 5 config for $1100 looks hella sexy, though I don't know if the $900 instant savings is always there. Lack of built-in ethernet port kinda sucks.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 2, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

The Ryzen 5 config for $1100 looks hella sexy, though I don't know if the $900 instant savings is always there. Lack of built-in ethernet port kinda sucks.

This is a corp discount link. If you go through the normal site it's 40% more expensive right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Hey, I've been thinking of finally getting a new laptop (the Thinkpad T430 I got based on the OP of this very megathread* has served me well for about seven to eight years now), and I'm eyeing the T490 with some upgrades (better processor, onboard RAM, IPS screen, and 1TB SSD being the main ones). Thanks to the B&N link the price is looking pretty good, too. But, my question is, if I finally do buy a new laptop, how easily could I transfer over my current laptop's contents, most importantly Windows 7? I don't have boot discs, and there's no way in hell I'm ever using Windows 10.

I know I can just clone the whole drive, but I'd rather not gently caress up the drivers on the new Thinkpad (plus I don't really have the sort of external drives that could do that; I think my biggest flash drive is like 5 gigs). I'm also open to Linux-related alternatives as long as I don't have to change anything about how I use my computer aside from maybe installing a different version of 7zip (like so much else in my life, I've read that WINE will help with this, though I'm unclear on how many and what kinds of programs it can make compatible).

Also, the one complaint I've had about my T430 is that the screen's got rather poor contrast/colors (I didn't get the upgrade like the OP at the time suggested so that's on me) and I'd just like to make sure that getting the IPS screen on the T490 will fix that issue.

*Just wanna digress and say how good my Thinkpad is. Or I guess was; it's showing its age these days. But anyway, it was a drat fine machine, and got me through college, and I owe this thread thanks for pointing me in the right direction, because I came dangerously close to just buying a Dell from the bookstore.