Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Is smith a sports caster or commentator? They’re two pretty different jobs really and anik is really good at his

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

The Automator posted:

Is smith a sports caster or commentator? They’re two pretty different jobs really and anik is really good at his

See that was actually a weird one, in theory he has a martial arts background and people seemed to think he was being brought in to slowly replace Joe Rogan, as Rogan was doing less and less shows, but then I think they did a few cards where it was Rogan+Smith working together...I dunno, maybe my memory of it is off but I think it was kind of a mess. This stuff is harder to look up than who was fighting/reffing/judging though, so someone with a better memory or notes on it can come in and correct me if I'm just way off.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

The Automator posted:

Jimmy Smith had a brief MMA career and was always a color commentator which is the role that former fighters usually fall into. I seem to remember the UFC using him more as a desk analyst on Fox Sports than doing live commentary.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Jimmy Smith had a brief MMA career and was always a color commentator which is the role that former fighters usually fall into. I seem to remember the UFC using him more as a desk analyst on Fox Sports than doing live commentary.

Just to clarify my perspective, I watch pretty much none of that pre/post-fight desk analysis poo poo both in the Fox era and now in the ESPN era, so everything I'm saying above is poo poo I've seen on the cards themselves.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

How were the prelims?

e] Oh nice, I'll def check em out then

Kay Hansen/JYF was a really nice finish.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If Jimmy Smith could get a gig at PFL and replace Bas & Randy (both of whom are not fun to listen to anymore as they get older), it'd be a good gig.

Sean McConnell & Jimmy Smith with a PBP would be a good laugh.

Brut posted:

See that was actually a weird one, in theory he has a martial arts background and people seemed to think he was being brought in to slowly replace Joe Rogan, as Rogan was doing less and less shows, but then I think they did a few cards where it was Rogan+Smith working together...I dunno, maybe my memory of it is off but I think it was kind of a mess. This stuff is harder to look up than who was fighting/reffing/judging though, so someone with a better memory or notes on it can come in and correct me if I'm just way off.

I thought the Smith/Rogan cards with Anik were really good. Rogan was over the top with is analysis and Smith was more detailed and analytical. It was a good dynamic that we see with DC & Bisping this past weekend. DC is a bit over the top, and Bisping is more analytical (you can swap their roles in certain contexts too actually)

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Brut posted:

From Tapology, it looks like UFC 223 and UFC 225 were the only Joe Rogan & Jimmy Smith (Plus Jon Anik for both) events

I liked Jimmy Smith, I liked Jimmy Smith and Sean Wheelock in Bellator a ton. Its fine he's at Invicta, long as he's getting work :shrug:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah i think the biggest tragedy would be nobody would hire him. If he's at Invicta that's good and cool. I wish he had a bigger stage because UFC was great for him. Bellator pre-Viacom was good. PFL would be a solid home for him still.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The dark horse commentary team: I'd like to see Jimmy Smith and TJ De Santis have a chance to do a major card together. I give TJ bonus points for always apparently having done his research about all of the fighters, no matter how insignificant or stupid the card. He could be calling the undercard of BATTLE IN THE BARN 46 and he never seems as if he's blowing smoke or making poo poo up or whatever. Always does his job and does it seriously. He's p.good on EBI too.

The other thing I like about TJdeS is that he never falls into the Mauro/Schivallo/Robin Black/Goldberg trap of exaggeration/hyperbole.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

From Tapology, it looks like UFC 223 and UFC 225 were the only Joe Rogan & Jimmy Smith (Plus Jon Anik for both) events

I liked Jimmy Smith, I liked Jimmy Smith and Sean Wheelock in Bellator a ton. Its fine he's at Invicta, long as he's getting work :shrug:

I'm looking at the first two Russia events on Tapology:

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/53264-ufc-fight-night
https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/57505-ufc-on-espn-7

It says John Gooden was working them both but I remember someone...else who I really didn't like, who I don't know the name of and never saw again, any idea who I'm thinking of? Am I thinking of a different event? I could've sworn it was the first Russia one.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Brut posted:

I'm looking at the first two Russia events on Tapology:

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/53264-ufc-fight-night
https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/57505-ufc-on-espn-7

It says John Gooden was working them both but I remember someone...else who I really didn't like, who I don't know the name of and never saw again, any idea who I'm thinking of? Am I thinking of a different event? I could've sworn it was the first Russia one.

Pulling those both up in Fight Pass and I've got Gooden, Hardy, and Felder starting off the broadcast. Same for the Zabit/Kattar event.

Dunno, dogg, you might have a case of Hot Brain

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

Pulling those both up in Fight Pass and I've got Gooden, Hardy, and Felder starting off the broadcast. Same for the Zabit/Kattar event.

Dunno, dogg, you might have a case of Hot Brain

I'm just gonna have to click through every single UFC broadcast in the last...3-4 years on Tapology, it's been bugging me for a while that I can't figure out who that dude was. Not tonight though, if I'm lucky someone else will be able to tip me off before then.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Brut posted:

Anik>Smith>Goldie>Fitzgerald>that dude who did that one UFC Russia card.

I actually prefer Fitzgerald to Goldie but I think like 95% of the forum disagrees with me so I'm not dying on that hill.

mike goldberg is the worst mma commentator of all time. i get one brief second of nostalgia when i hear him commentate but it's immediately followed by, oh god, i remember now, he talks like a child learning a sentence for the first time. i would take even schiavello over him.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jimmy Smith loving sucks. He's miserable to listen to for more than a few minutes and has some real dumb gently caress opinions.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Goldie owns, grab a headset or blow me dick

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Screama posted:

Goldie owns

Look, this is true, but it doesn't detract from the fact that

Foul Fowl posted:

mike goldberg is the worst mma commentator of all time

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Memento posted:

Look, this is true, but it doesn't detract from the fact that

these posts are virtually identical

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Mauro Ranallo has a special catchphrase he screams any time someone gets kicked in the balls, and he can't stop talkint about how he wants to gently caress the lady fighters mid match. And Michael Schiavello exists. But sure go on thinking Goldberg is the single worst of all time

e: Julie Kedzie is worse too

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mike Goldberg owns

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

CommonShore posted:

The dark horse commentary team: I'd like to see Jimmy Smith and TJ De Santis have a chance to do a major card together. I give TJ bonus points for always apparently having done his research about all of the fighters, no matter how insignificant or stupid the card. He could be calling the undercard of BATTLE IN THE BARN 46 and he never seems as if he's blowing smoke or making poo poo up or whatever. Always does his job and does it seriously. He's p.good on EBI too.

The other thing I like about TJdeS is that he never falls into the Mauro/Schivallo/Robin Black/Goldberg trap of exaggeration/hyperbole.

Nice try, TJ

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Goldberg is the worst commentator and the best one from a time when the UFC was a step above a freak show.

Anik is like a grown up big boy working for a proper big boy sports organization.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Anik seems like a nice enough guy, but he's terminally uninteresting to me. It's like someone left a box fan running in the background. You just stop noticing it's there after a while.

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

DC and Bisping are the best commentators right now, and work well with Anik to ground them. Both sorta have their pet opinions and biases, but they at least describe the action onscreen in an exciting way with some good insights. Dom is insufferable and his presence is a distraction.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bluedeanie posted:

Mauro Ranallo has a special catchphrase he screams any time someone gets kicked in the balls, and he can't stop talkint about how he wants to gently caress the lady fighters mid match. And Michael Schiavello exists. But sure go on thinking Goldberg is the single worst of all time

e: Julie Kedzie is worse too

mike goldberg famously has no catchphrases repeated ad nauseam

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Anik seems like a nice enough guy, but he's terminally uninteresting to me. It's like someone left a box fan running in the background. You just stop noticing it's there after a while.

That's a good thing though, he's the guy who's job it is to read out the ads and other corporate-mandated stuff, he's not supposed to pretend to be knowledgeable about anything, the whole point is that he's very good at not being disruptive when folks who know what they're saying are talking.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Yeah Cormier in particular owns. In particular I loved when he called Jones vs OSP, and despite everything about their past, their personalities and Jones' performance, Cormier was professional and flattering. You never would have known those two dudes hated each other and Jones beat Cormier twice in weird circumstances.

Meanwhile, just close your eyes and imagine Cruz calling a fight with Faber, TJ or Garbrandt.

Foul Fowl posted:

mike goldberg famously has no catchphrases repeated ad nauseam

"IT IS ALL OVER" and "TEEP!" and various sponsorship plugs (which anyone else would have to do) is way better than "a kick to the peninsula south of the border" and you are a fool if you believe otherwise

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
mauro is loving awful as well though. but the line about how sometimes these things happen in mma after the diazes and shields jumped mayhem miller in the cage and soccer kicked him was pretty good. schiavello has a good technical understanding of kickboxing which puts him leagues above goldberg, who somehow hasn't actually learned anything from the hundreds and hundreds of fights he's commentated. but they are all three unbelievably annoying.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I used to not be a fan of Anik but that was largely due to the fact that he was paired almost exclusively with Kenny Florian when he first started calling the UFC, ans they have extremely similar voices and commentary styles so they just blurred together. I think he is fine now that they have stopped doing that.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

"IT IS ALL OVER" and "TEEP!" and various sponsorship plugs (which anyone else would have to do) is way better than "a kick to the peninsula south of the border" and you are a fool if you believe otherwise

I've never heard that nutshot catchphrase and I still felt bad just reading it in this post, ugh, drat it deanie don't give me reasons to like goldberg :(.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bluedeanie posted:

virtually IDENTICAL. OCtaGON conTROL. Slip n rip. It's not the size of the dog. he's so elusive. those leg kicks are heavy joe. and here, we, go.

i've never heard mauro say that but i must have either blocked it out or he didn't say it in strikeforce. but you've convinced me. they can share the bottom spot.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bisping just radiates so much charisma and excitement I'll watch him on anything. His "don't give a gently caress" attitude is refreshing in an old school kind of way, not in an edgy "badass"way. The way he so effortlessly and calmly puts Colby in his place with all these backhanded compliments here is such a great example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRtNyHkmPMA

Was it also Bisping who pointed out during a live interview that Max Halloway was sounding really really off which lead to his fight being postponed? Cause that rules

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah that was Bisping that saved Max from himself.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Reminds me of a young Babalu

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

This picture of Goldie still cracks me up.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C31Vu6B9MFI&t=27s

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Brut posted:

That's a good thing though, he's the guy who's job it is to read out the ads and other corporate-mandated stuff, he's not supposed to pretend to be knowledgeable about anything, the whole point is that he's very good at not being disruptive when folks who know what they're saying are talking.

I understand his role and I think he fulfills it reasonably. I just don't think being boring on the air is ever a virtue. The guy could be replaced with info graphics and nothing would be lost.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anik having no personality is like the best thing for him since we sorta ignore he exists. If he was a loudmouth like Goldie, Schiavello or Mauro not even DC & Bisping shouting corner advice to the fighters would save our brains.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

piratepilates posted:

Goldberg is the worst commentator and the best one from a time when the UFC was a step above a freak show.

Anik is like a grown up big boy working for a proper big boy sports organization.

This encapsulates why Anik always feels out of place to me - the UFC is no less a freak show than it's always been (some roided wonders excepting), and having one businesslike professional on set doesn't make it any less so. If anything, he plays the role of MC so well that it stands to contrast against the *gestures in all directions around us* of the UFC. It's like when an elementary school puts on a class play and the teacher is in one of the lead roles.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Julie Kedzie is a weird one. She's actually good for minutes on end until she starts spewing out a mushmouthed tangent which adds no value for anyone. If she just didn't say about 10% of what she says I'd have no problem with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Jon Anik is really dry to me but I think I like that better than somebody who is annoying and I feel actually detracts from the experience by being there, like Mauro.