Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Ricochet has never been able to talk and yet was a big star everywhere except wwe hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Ricochet has never been able to talk and yet was a big star everywhere except wwe hmm

That's because he wasn't running with the big dogs. Welcome to the show, the main event, the grandest stage of them all, the sports entertainment of kings, America's past-time.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
"letting the wrestler do the thing(s) that made him or her a star elsewhere" is heresy to wwe

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Eat My Fuc posted:

All the people you mentioned can talk fine. Ricochet can’t even manage to speak a sentence into a camera without sounding like a robot having a panic attack he’s the worst talker i’ve seen in 27 years of watching pro wrestling. He doesn’t even botch which could be entertaining he just murmurs his way through comatose line reading like he has some kind of severe brain damage.

the legendary talking ability of rey mysterio and jungle boy and mareko stunt and hell lets add in Matt Sydal/Evan Bourne who despite being worse than Ricochet was booked far better in the same promotion

just take the L and move on

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Ricochet was immediately 100% over with me when he flipped out of the ring to stare down Velveteen Dream. Legit one of the coolest things I've ever seen in wrestling.

e: to make this more podcast-related, I'm really surprised to hear Dave say someone needs to talk to Bugenhagen about trying to get himself over in the crowd. What about Suge, Big Swole, and the like?

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 30, 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Seams posted:

"letting the wrestler do the thing(s) that made him or her a star elsewhere" is heresy to wwe

Brodie Lee has pretty much proven how badly WWE wastes people because they try to force them to be something they're not. Brodie says for years he wants to do the gimmick he's doing in AEW and he's killing it like he always said he would.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Lid posted:

hell its like people are looking at Rey Mysterio and thinking "cant talk, will never go anywhere"

Rey was a generational talent in the late 90s. Zero main event guys were able to do what he did at that time. There was an argument for him to take the top spots because it was new and fresh.

Ricochet is the best high flyer now, but the gap between him and the top guys is nowhere near as big as it was in the late 90s. Seth or AJ could probably do 80-85 percent of what Ricochet can do.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Eat, I really think you forgot about Michael Mcgillicuty’s promo when you talk about terrible talkers. Also, if he’s a bad promo, that arguably should have been worked on in NXT before he went to the main roster.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Eat My Fuc posted:

All the people you mentioned can talk fine. Ricochet can’t even manage to speak a sentence into a camera without sounding like a robot having a panic attack he’s the worst talker i’ve seen in 27 years of watching pro wrestling. He doesn’t even botch which could be entertaining he just murmurs his way through comatose line reading like he has some kind of severe brain damage.

So address why he was over in DG, over in PWG, making GBS threads hell, he was over in NXT. It's a promoters job to find out how to get the most of someone they have: give him a mouthpiece, let his actions speak for him, whatever. Despite your assertion there's poo poo Ricochet does that few others can, are we forgetting that gif of him leaping fluidly from the ring to Dream in the aisle?

WWE knew his strengths and flaws when they signed him. If they can't work out how to highlight the positives and hide the negatives that poo poo is on them.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if you're defending the sole system that a generational talent like ricochet can't excel in you dont actually like pro wrestling

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

if you're defending the sole system that a generational talent like ricochet can't excel in you dont actually like pro wrestling

As we all know, WWE is sports entertainment, not wrestling, and there's no place for a flippy wrestler like Ricochet in a sports entertainment company

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Ricochet is nothing like Rey Mysterio, a prodigious talent wasted by wwe

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Ultimo Dragon was in WWE too. They wanted to unmask him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its always fun when WWE takes a red hot talent at the top of their game who had success elsewhere, and then completely fails with them, and then a bunch of WWE fans say that's because actually he always sucked and that time he was good and someone had more success with him was an illusion. At best its acknowledging that WWE is absolutely terrible at their jobs.

Like WWE makes such a habit of signing the hottest names in the industry and then cooling them off and wasting them that it is easier to believe they do it intentionally just to stifle the competition.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Lid posted:

Ultimo Dragon was in WWE too. They wanted to unmask him.

Wasn't he only there so he could do a mania match and get that off his bucket list?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That was his reason for being there but it doesn't change that WWE had a generational talent and did nothing with him but treated him like a lower midcarder and wanted to take off his legendary mask.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

STAC Goat posted:

That was his reason for being there but it doesn't change that WWE had a generational talent and did nothing with him but treated him like a lower midcarder and wanted to take off his legendary mask.

In fairness he was also really slowing down by this point. Injuries had caught up etc. And Stephanie wanted him unmasked because she thought he was a hottie and surely we all agree that with hindsight it was criminal that Dr Wagner Jr was masked for so long.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Yeah but Rey Wagner is a beefy man of sexiness. In fact i think a line can be drawn between how beefy a man is to how much benefit they can get from unmasking vs detriment.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Are we really gonna' Always Bad loving Ricochet?!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

WWE is a company engineered to ruin things you once enjoyed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Ricochet obviously loves working for WWE and sticks up for them at every given opportunity. If he has no problems with how he's being used, neither do I. Main Event deserves good matches too.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I specifically Always Good’ed him you fiend

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is it just me or have F4W download speeds vastly improved?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Are download speeds a thing?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Listen to the latest Bryan & Vinny for the real-time realization by Bryan Alvarez for the first time that he's gonna be in his sixties when his kids graduate high school :allears:

Also to learn the secret of Sparkling Chocolate Milk.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

My detailed guide to how to get Ricochet over in WWE:

1) give him well featured long matches against good opponents
2) give him stories based on competing in the ring
3) go to 1

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I wonder how many times WWE has set up a story where a big heel spends weeks laughing at a smaller babyface only for the babyface to kick their rear end in end. Except Vince finds himself nodding along to all the heel promos like “god dammit this guy makes a good point! He has to go over at the PPV”

I bet it’s at least 20

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

jesus WEP posted:

I wonder how many times WWE has set up a story where a big heel spends weeks laughing at a smaller babyface only for the babyface to kick their rear end in end. Except Vince finds himself nodding along to all the heel promos like “god dammit this guy makes a good point! He has to go over at the PPV”

I bet it’s at least 20

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Lucky for Bryan he’ll still look around 23

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

WWE knew his strengths and flaws when they signed him. If they can't work out how to highlight the positives and hide the negatives that poo poo is on them.

They have.

Positives:
* not helping AEW or NJPW
* fills time on Main Event

Negatives:
* costs $500k/year

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

Lamuella posted:

3) go to 1

Matches with actual stakes, presented with a sports-style build? lol

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Beast.

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1278478835311206400

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1278485202319228928

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Lamuella posted:

3) go to 1

4) Put Kacey Catanzaro on TV with him and run a cucking angle

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Looks like Aries deleted whatever his reply to Dave(?) originally was, though I can imagine.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

Dunking on the dumbest motherfucker alive isn’t really beast mode, imo

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Ricochet is extraordinarily overrated, and a cop to boot. He deserves WWE

There's nothing he does that other guys can't do twice as well

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

One of the underrated lovely things about WWE is not only does it waste talents but it poisons fans against those talents in a bunch of different ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Low Desert Punk posted:

Ricochet is extraordinarily overrated, and a cop to boot. He deserves WWE

There's nothing he does that other guys can't do twice as well

:banjo: