Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

this is a bar on the jersey shore this past saturday night

so much for nyc, i guess

N.J. restaurants NOT reopening for indoor dining this week after ‘knucklehead’ crowds at bars ruin it for everyone

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020...r-everyone.html

“So, unfortunately, the national situation, compounded by instances of knucklehead behavior here at home, are requiring us to hit pause on the restart of indoor dining for the foreseeable future.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i'm a 'former marine too, fought with seaspray and broadside against trypticon

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i didn’t watch my buddies die face down in the mud on okinawa* to listen to this liberal bullshit!

*it was 2004 and we were drunk and got lost stumbling back to base after a night out of brutalizing the locals

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you should tell him that he's a civilian and not a soldier anymore

military basic training’s whole point is to overwrite the new soldier’s personality with one that respects order and authority. some people never fully come back out from under the brainwashing.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

President Beep posted:

i've never met anyone that came out of the marines that wasn't like this. their brains become thoroughly broken.

my dad didnt but then he was drafted so that might have something to do with his dim view of the military.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

my dad didnt but then he was drafted so that might have something to do with his dim view of the military.

your dad fought in ww2

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

fart simpson posted:

your dad fought in ww2

vietnam

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my dad fought in afghanistan

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Its unbelievable how painful earaches can be.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

rotor posted:

vietnam

no you're old he must have fought in like the Peloponnesian War of 431BCE

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
my fad fought in beating up your dad

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my dad worked in a bowling alley

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
my grandfather came to the US (leaving germany as a jewish guy) and then as soon as he got the chance he was in the marines and went back to germany to commit righteous "war crimes", but he just loved killing nazis (men, women, whatever). for being 5'4" he was a tough little bastard and had a natural knack for rifles.

he ruled, i wish i had a chance to talk to him more. his service portrait or whatever is scary because he looks exactly like me. his war photos were hilarious because he would take pics of dead germans in funny poses (arms around each other, cigarettes in their mouths, etc).

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

graph posted:

if anyone would like to participate in that trauma study i can dig up the link
i’m already booked into this really long trauma study already but thanks

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

i didn’t watch my buddies die face down in the mud on okinawa* to listen to this liberal bullshit!

*it was 2004 and we were drunk and got lost stumbling back to base after a night out of brutalizing the locals
frank reynolds vietnam stories energy

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rotor posted:

vietnam

french indochina

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

rotor posted:

vietnam

Dang, my grandpa was in Vietnam, you must be old as hell

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my grandpa was in wwii and I am not old

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

same

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

generation gap size probably correlates to class/privilege so it’s not necessarily something to feel great about

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

my grandfather was in ww2 and he never talked about it with us kids. not once. my dad said he was in europe towards the end of that theater doing "cleanup"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Roosevelt posted:

my grandfather was in ww2 and he never talked about it with us kids. not once. my dad said he was in europe towards the end of that theater doing "cleanup"

oh poo poo, operation gladio-type stuff :tinfoil:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Roosevelt posted:

i watched a video yesterday about the liberation of dachau and it was incredibly sad. the emaciated prisoners, the dead prisoners, traumatized US troops executing germans that hadn’t just killed everyone (per orders) and abandoned the camp, US officers pulling guns on each other...

there’s no way an experience like that wouldn’t gently caress anyone up long term.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

my grandpa was in wwii, my dad was vietnam era but was underground here with his finger on the big red button, and i’m 40.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

my grandpa spent the korean war touching telephone equipment in japan my blood was cursed before my father was even born

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

my dad was born in 1955 so he was a bit too young for Vietnam

My grandpa was born in 1931 or so and was in Germany during the post-war occupation, in Korea, and in Vietnam.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

my dad joined the navy in ‘68 to avoid being drafted and spent four years as a plane mechanic at a training airfield in florida. lots of beer drinking and loving around with his friends on the beach. a smart move.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

my grandpa spent the korean war touching telephone equipment in japan my blood was cursed before my father was even born

lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

father in law was born in 1940 and grew up near wigan. he still remembers seeing a dud german bomb that had fallen into a millpond.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

President Beep posted:

my dad joined the navy in ‘68 to avoid being drafted and spent four years as a plane mechanic at a training airfield in florida. lots of beer drinking and loving around with his friends on the beach. a smart move.

my dad joined the air force to avoid being drafted :hfive:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Uptime Sinclair posted:

generation gap size probably correlates to class/privilege so it’s not necessarily something to feel great about

I’m not sure what that means

for me it means my dad didn’t get married until he was 45 and desperate lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

prefect posted:

my dad joined the air force to avoid being drafted :hfive:

i can’t imagine having to worry about that poo poo. like, i remember there were draft rumors leading up to the invasion of iraq back in 2003. i was 23, and still in that window, but no one thought it was really gonna happen.

seeing your peers get called up, or actually having it happen to yourself though? horrible. and all for a 100% bullshit war happening on the other side of the globe.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

anyway I’m gonna laugh at some steve brule videos now

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I’m not sure what that means

for me it means my dad didn’t get married until he was 45 and desperate lol
it means generally that people with a lot of years between them and their parents (and between their parents and grandparents) are more well off because it generally signifies that their (grand) parents had the fortune or opportunity to do what they wanted and/or work to establish themselves before settling down

it’s a bit less of a signifier post-Y2K for reasons that are obvious to anyone currently living in hell world

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Roosevelt posted:

my grandfather was in ww2 and he never talked about it with us kids. not once.
my grandfather was in the merchant marines pre-ww2 because of the depression etc, then was in the canadian armed forces during the actual war too

he never talked about either except to say joining the merchant marines was the single most hosed up and stupid thing he’d ever done, and he also worked with dynamite in northern ontario mines

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Uptime Sinclair posted:

it means generally that people with a lot of years between them and their parents (and between their parents and grandparents) are more well off because it generally signifies that their (grand) parents had the fortune or opportunity to do what they wanted and/or work to establish themselves before settling down

it’s a bit less of a signifier post-Y2K for reasons that are obvious to anyone currently living in hell world

my grandmother was 17, i think, when she had my dad. and he has an older brother

still weirds me out

(yes, neither of them were born in a hospital)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

President Beep posted:

he still remembers seeing a dud german bomb
:dudsmile:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

my dad was born in 1955 so he was a bit too young for Vietnam

My grandpa was born in 1931 or so and was in Germany during the post-war occupation, in Korea, and in Vietnam.

my grandpa was born in italy between the wars, came to the us, then a few years later turned around and went back as a us army soldier in the battle of the bulge eventually

after that he never wanted to go back to him home village. i can count maybe 5 things he ever said about his service, he wouldnt talk about anything but some lighter moments

granted the two stories he did share was finding a great stash of booze in a cellar in a flattened house in france and jumping off a motorcycle he found and it rolling into the rhine

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Uptime Sinclair posted:

ahhh ok, yeah the only way i could parse it is because nowadays you generally cant afford kids until youre almost 40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

ahhh ok, yeah the only way i could parse it is because nowadays you generally cant afford kids until youre almost 40
hence that last part of my post but, yeah, but it’s still relevant if you’re talking to people currently over, say, 35

don’t tho, nothing good comes of it :corsair: