Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Teamfight Tactics is an auto battler developed and published by Riot Games, LLC, better known for their Dota-like League of Legends, and set in the same universe.

How does this game work???
Teamfight Tactics pits a group of players against each other in a game where they have no input other than selecting and deploying units and items. The field of battle is a grid, and the units interact with each other depending on their classes, stats and items.

At the beginning of each game and every six rounds afterwards, each player participates in the carousel phase, where they can pick up a new unit, for free, from a shared roster. Later on, only the lowest-health players will be able to participate in the carousel. Each unit from the carousel comes with an item, and beginning in round 5, they spawn with an advanced item.

Following the first carousel, a monster battle occurs, and each players units will fight a group of neutral enemies for gold and items.

Following the monster battle, the first PvP battle occurs, where each player will fight another randomly selected other player's units. Each battle lasts a maximum of 40 seconds - the loser of the battle is the player who either runs out of units, or has less units/health when the battle times out. The loser takes damage based on how many of the opposition units are alive, and the tier of those units. You are knocked out of the game if your health reaches 0, but there are a lot of come-back mechanics that can sometimes mean that it's worth it to stick around, even if you're doing poorly at the moment and it looks dire. The winner of the game is the player whose team is the last standing, and each player is ranked according to when they were knocked out. A lot of the quests and rewards systems in the game count top 4 as winners.

How can I play this game???
Friend, simply point your browser to https://teamfighttactics.leagueoflegends.com/en-us/ and download the client - yes it is the same one as League of Legends, which has its own thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3841189

You can also play this game on your mobile device. Find it in the app store of your choosing.

Where could I possibly learn more about this game???
This wiki is frequently updated and used: https://leagueoflegends.fandom.com/wiki/Teamfight_Tactics
Here is a website I found on a search engine that looks alright: https://www.metabomb.net/leagueoflegends/gameplay-guides/teamfight-tactics-best-starting-strategies-tips-and-tactics

What the hell are Galaxies???
Galaxies are additional rule sets that are randomly applied, you can read about them here: https://leagueoflegends.fandom.com/wiki/Galaxy_(Teamfight_Tactics)

- - - - - - -

Is there any way I could possibly watch people play this video game, on the internet???
Yes. In fact, you can watch them on https://youtube.com and on https://twitch.tv. Here are a few of them recommended by the thread, and they're all cute:

Hafu : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCddX-H9xUwQH6jOOHuL2vYw - https://www.twitch.tv/itshafu
Scarra: https://www.youtube.com/user/scarraofficial - https://www.twitch.tv/scarra
emilyywang: https://www.twitch.tv/emilyywang
yuuubin: https://www.twitch.tv/yuuubin

Is there any way that I could watch my fellow goons from this website play this video game???
Again, yes. You can find a few of their channels here:

Kingcobweb: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsltk8xvt0OXnc6LeMiuUQw

strong bird fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
How can I improve at the game?

If you really want to get better, you should be spending almost as much time watching good players on stream/youtube as you spend playing the game. My favorite person is Hafu, whose youtube videos seem clickbait-y, but she gives really good explanations of her thought process as she's playing; she shows off how there's a thousand really minor things you can do to get an edge.

Other good twitch streamers: yuuubin (friend of a goon), scarra, saintvicious, gunmay, becky, keane, emilyywang.

I'm also going to shamelessly plug my youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLLjxssSvxE

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Marcus Elden posted:

I'll plug my buddy's stream in case anyone wants to see a good TFT player - His name is Alex (Korean name Yubin) and he's challenger rank 40-ish in Korea. He only streams in English though and he generally explains what he's doing pretty well but as far as I know he's the only high elo KR server english streamer.

https://www.twitch.tv/yuuubin

just going to put this on the front page, this streamer actually is pretty good and very transparent about what he’s doing and why.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
yooo I'm so happy mobile TFT exists while regular TFT crashes my computer

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

is there anyone that luden's is good on? or any reason to build it over the several other better items that rod builds into?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's cute on Lucian but I dunno if I'd call it good.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

a fatguy baldspot posted:

is there anyone that luden's is good on? or any reason to build it over the several other better items that rod builds into?

It's a solid early game spike on Lucian if you want to win streak; in cybernetics or blasters, those components aren't super highly valued until you get to MF. But yeah, not a super high priority item, and you'd better be really sure you're not going to need a Seraph's later.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

It might be *ok* on Syndra if you have a tear and a rod extra, but usually your tears are going into Seraphs and Rods into Rabs at that point.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Who is Seraph's good on in cyber/blaster comps? Or any comps, really. I've never built star guardians / sorcerers and have never seen a use for it on anything else.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

You should probably add a section about apps like Blitz or websites like https://tftactics.gg/tierlist/team-comps which gives you builds (and in the case of the latter, positioning examples) which are helpful to learn too.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

Who is Seraph's good on in cyber/blaster comps? Or any comps, really. I've never built star guardians / sorcerers and have never seen a use for it on anything else.

Pretty much any of the 5 star units will benefit, if only to get them to Ult sooner.

It’s needed on Kaisa in the mech inf comp. Either to spread burn through Morello or stuns if you can get the demo spat.

And it’s a good early item on Ziggs in a rebel comp and transfers well to Aurelion later on.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

The Shortest Path posted:

Irelia (lets you position her anywhere and she casts immediately)
MF

Outside of that comp: Kassadin, Sol, anything with low mana costs

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

kingcobweb posted:

Irelia (lets you position her anywhere and she casts immediately)
MF

Outside of that comp: Kassadin, Sol, anything with low mana costs

I had to check to make sure she could still ult immediately after the tear nerf and yep she sits at 30 mana to ult so no change there.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

The mech, except with eight sorcerors.
Still no idea what damage he does, his spellcasts got interrupted and his teammates killed everything real good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Lucian got nerfed but Blasters overall got buffed so Blasters are still FreeLO right now.

Also I'm a huge fan of the 2 new galaxies in this patch, especially the free reroll one.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Honestly it's my fault for not scouting as much but to get an early xin 3 then see someone else (after I get the xin) decide to slam all the protectors feels really bad as both your HP totals just roll down.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Whelp, I think I just used up all my TFT luck.

Uncontested Star Guardians with two Seraphs and three Chalices. One of those Seraphs and all three Chalices came as complete items through the carousel or boss drops. It was a never ending stream of spells.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

chalice seems really bad, ngl. it gives what, ten mana? not much

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Its hilarious on sol

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

It gives it to the wearer too so it’s insane in Star guardians

And protectors are total poo poo this patch, do Not build them

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

It gives it to the wearer too so it’s insane in Star guardians

And protectors are total poo poo this patch, do Not build them

Unless you can make asol a protector of course. :getin:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Stormgale posted:

Honestly it's my fault for not scouting as much but to get an early xin 3 then see someone else (after I get the xin) decide to slam all the protectors feels really bad as both your HP totals just roll down.

i think they need to do something to the UI to make scouting more reasonable, i cant even imagine trying to scout on mobile

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Does anyone have a rule of thumb (or hard factors) to consider when selling off and re-speccing into a different comp? It's one thing to be hedging between a couple of comps and picking one, but I just had success selling off completely and going for something completely open, and I wonder if that isn't something I should be letting myself do more often.

Also, just to confirm my own thinking - the pool can reasonably support two people in a given archetype, right? Obviously being the only person rolling for certain champs is best, but should I be terrified if there's one other person gobbling up Star Guardians or whatever?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Depends on the comp. Mech pilots can be rough if someone else is going for it because it might take some doing to get three of Fizz.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Boxman posted:

Does anyone have a rule of thumb (or hard factors) to consider when selling off and re-speccing into a different comp? It's one thing to be hedging between a couple of comps and picking one, but I just had success selling off completely and going for something completely open, and I wonder if that isn't something I should be letting myself do more often.

Also, just to confirm my own thinking - the pool can reasonably support two people in a given archetype, right? Obviously being the only person rolling for certain champs is best, but should I be terrified if there's one other person gobbling up Star Guardians or whatever?

For the reroll comps, there should be one per archetype. Only one person can three-star a three cost unit. Don't contest a build like Star Guardians unless you're really sure you can outlast them.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I've been putting Morello on everything. Morello Kayle. Morello MF. Morello Ashe with 6 Chrono. I don't know any better I've only played this game for 4 days. But it pretty much hard counters SG players at my level. Is this an okay way to think?

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

If I could make a team with 1 wukong and 7 poppies, I would.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I want to save this thread from obscurity, so here are the comps that are Good in 3.5:

• 6 cybernetic
  • jinx
  • 6 sorc riven

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

I want to save this thread from obscurity, so here are the comps that are Good in 3.5:

• 6 cybernetic
  • jinx
  • 6 sorc riven

How is Urgot in the latest patch? I haven't been playing much because of Urgot RNG.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't think he got nerfed, so slap a blue buff on him and just use him as a late game "gently caress Vanguards" tool the same way I see Janna being used a lot lately. I was on the recieving end of the Sorc+Riven comp a few games ago and with a Star Guardian badge on her as well it's really painful.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

.Z. posted:

How is Urgot in the latest patch? I haven't been playing much because of Urgot RNG.

As mortdog has talked about, Urgot isn't actually a great unit. It feels lovely to have your carry one-shot, but a five-cost with items should be able to do something like that. If you compare his power to GP, Sol, Ekko, etc, one-shotting a single unit isn't actually all that great.

The situation you're most likely to see Urgot in (and the only way that I play Urgot) is off the bench with Thresh. He's still the best Thresh target, since two-star Thresh gives Urgot 50 mana, which makes him ult instantly as soon as he hits the battlefield.

There's only two other situations where Urgot sees play: protector comps, which are super reliant on getting protector spat for Sol (and that's not even the best use of Sol), and 6 battlecast comps, which fall off a cliff lategame and are basically just playing for top 4.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

As mortdog has talked about, Urgot isn't actually a great unit. It feels lovely to have your carry one-shot, but a five-cost with items should be able to do something like that. If you compare his power to GP, Sol, Ekko, etc, one-shotting a single unit isn't actually all that great.

The situation you're most likely to see Urgot in (and the only way that I play Urgot) is off the bench with Thresh. He's still the best Thresh target, since two-star Thresh gives Urgot 50 mana, which makes him ult instantly as soon as he hits the battlefield.

There's only two other situations where Urgot sees play: protector comps, which are super reliant on getting protector spat for Sol (and that's not even the best use of Sol), and 6 battlecast comps, which fall off a cliff lategame and are basically just playing for top 4.

That's what I was referring to with the RNG. Yeah, overall Urgot isn't that great. But it still feels super-lovely when a 1-star Urgot, Thresh or not, grabs your carry units with his initial pulls and there is nothing you can really do about it.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
What's your preferred Cassiopeia items?
I sometimes run her as a Star Guardian, but she's also unbelievably tanky as a protector.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

What's your preferred Cassiopeia items?
I sometimes run her as a Star Guardian, but she's also unbelievably tanky as a protector.

Blue buff turns her from terrible into a carry

Morello doubles her damage, and synergizes incredibly with battlecast trait

Third item is prot spat if you can get it. If you can't, RFC (so that you don't have to put her near the front) or QSS are good

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I like Luden's too on her for some additional AOE, though you obviously aren't getting all of that mana.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

njsykora posted:

I like Luden's too on her for some additional AOE, though you obviously aren't getting all of that mana.

Morello/Blue buff are pretty much mandatory- as a third item, sure, Luden's is good.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I've also had success with third item Gunblade, which makes her sustain like crazy, but it's more an option if you have nothing else to put a BF sword on than a pro tactic.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Made another TFT video, this one about early game positioning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICKOUfGRbng

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

10.4 patch notes with some cool stuff. Mostly this bit.

quote:

Your final position in the standings will now be determined once all combat has ended, instead of immediately upon taking lethal damage. Lethal damage will now take players into negative health. Players who are eliminated in the same round will finish in order of:
- Least negative health total.
- If negative health is tied, most health in the round prior to elimination.
- In the unlikely event that both of the previous measures are tied (!), the final standings for those tied players will be determined randomly.
So no more running from lethal damage. Also Protector and Celestial buffs with J4 getting more of everything, Rakan getting more health and Neeko's mana being reduced. Blasters also looking like they're going to be better with Ezreal dropping to 30 mana so he could be fully spamming the AOE bombs with a blue buff. Seems like good changes to Urgot too (lower range, spell now hits the first champ so he's more of a frontline muncher like I think he was meant to be.

Also Giant Slayer doesn't do true damage any more so RIP that item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

njsykora posted:

Blasters also looking like they're going to be better with Ezreal dropping to 30 mana so he could be fully spamming the AOE bombs with a blue buff.

this looks like a nerf to his starting mana