Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dewgy posted:

For a good time, solve the mystery of Staci’s phone number.

Also, ask me about LOOM™

drat, beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

Playing TLOU2. I will discover the secret of Staci's phone number or die trying. My children will solve this mystery for me.

Check the bathroom.

Also if you've got DareDevil ears you can just listen to the safe clicks and the right number will sound deeper than wrong ones.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Are you loving kidding me :aaaaa:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Arist posted:

Are you loving kidding me :aaaaa:

I mean, most instances it's still probably faster to just solve the puzzle, but that was a near little addition since that's basically how thieves crack those kinds of safes, isn't it? obviously with better listening tools or whatever

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I stopped bothering searching for codes by the end and just cracked all the safes since I was playing with headphones.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I just cracked all the safes unless I had found the combination first. It's very easy if you close your eyes.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

mysterious frankie posted:

Well someday I hope to join you on that hill.

I will pop in to say Gungeon is one of the few games I've platted and it took a really, really long time to get there. I played it in waves, a couple weeks here and there before I'd drift away and then come back. There's this weird initial hump you get over where what seemed impossible is suddenly the easy part that you're banking up to get to the actual challenges on rooms 3-6, I assume it feels similar to the way other people play Fromsoft games.

It also helps that the more you play the more guns, items and characters you can unlock and while only a handful are truly overpowered you'll suddenly stumble on one that just works completely perfectly with how you're playing and you'll be flying through rooms effortlessly. One good example of this is the scrambler, the gun that shoots eggs that auto-target enemies; it's a deceptively low-tier item that's pretty overpowered, and if you get lucky and match it with something like fat bullets or stout bullets you will be surprised at how quickly it melts bosses.

I recommend starting with the convict because her 'get hit and do more damage' passive is going to be a lot more helpful early on when you panic and just start shooting, plus she has the easiest past when you finally make it there (beating at least one past unlocks a few big things). Also her starting gun sounds the best.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Another dumber way to get better at gungeon that I just remembered is unlocking tonic the sled dog in the main room, turning on 2x speed, and then completely forgetting you put on 2x speed and playing that way for like a week straight, then when you get back to normal speed everything will seem ridiculously slow :downs:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

I stopped bothering searching for codes by the end and just cracked all the safes since I was playing with headphones.

Yeah, such a cool mechanic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I played Detroit Become Human until the credits and I pretty much hate everything about it, even pre-emptively; the bits I know nothing about.

It's pretty I guess.

Which ending, out of curiosity? Because the game actually does have pretty varied ones.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Every time a new wave of crazy hits the 2LOU thread I immediately think the spoilers thread has been closed again, when what's really happening is this game will never stop being a hot zone lunatic magnet lmao

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Wolfsheim posted:

I will pop in to say Gungeon is one of the few games I've platted and it took a really, really long time to get there. I played it in waves, a couple weeks here and there before I'd drift away and then come back. There's this weird initial hump you get over where what seemed impossible is suddenly the easy part that you're banking up to get to the actual challenges on rooms 3-6, I assume it feels similar to the way other people play Fromsoft games.

It also helps that the more you play the more guns, items and characters you can unlock and while only a handful are truly overpowered you'll suddenly stumble on one that just works completely perfectly with how you're playing and you'll be flying through rooms effortlessly. One good example of this is the scrambler, the gun that shoots eggs that auto-target enemies; it's a deceptively low-tier item that's pretty overpowered, and if you get lucky and match it with something like fat bullets or stout bullets you will be surprised at how quickly it melts bosses.

I recommend starting with the convict because her 'get hit and do more damage' passive is going to be a lot more helpful early on when you panic and just start shooting, plus she has the easiest past when you finally make it there (beating at least one past unlocks a few big things). Also her starting gun sounds the best.

Interesting, I always recommend the hunter for new players, I found the increase in pickups from the dog was a huge help to me, and her starter weapon (the crossbow) has enough damage and range that it can carry you through most of the first two floors if you dont get anything better (although I find it too slow loading for most bosses). The convict was actually the last one I completed because I find the range on the sawn off too short!

But I 100% agree that some guns are deceptively good. The Scrambler is awesome, the composite gun is fantastic as well. With certain bullet upgrades some of the low damage/high rate of fire guns are amazing too. I love the Bee Hive personally because it lets me just hold down fire and concentrate on not getting hit.

Actually, its worth mentioning, for all the great looking and interesting guns you find in red or black chests, a lot of the games workhorse guns are technically C tier of below. Some of the high tier stuff is very high damage, but has major drawbacks (slow to load, slow to charge, short range, extremely limited ammo, that sort of thing). A lot of the time I walk into the boss room with a high damage charge weapon charged and ready to fire, let loose that shot, then immediately switch to a higher rate of fire gun for the rest of the fight.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have played a lot more TLOU1 and once I get to a point where I am happy enough to concentrate on video gaming it is my next play.

Until then I am occasionally dipping into Dusk on PC which is a nice quake like throwback style game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

As usual your new av delivers :swoon:

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Dusk is wonderful and I'm not a twitch shooter guy. I wish it committed to its oppressive atmosphere more, the Arnie boss is super silly. It has one of my favourite openings in games

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
If you like Dusk try Amid Evil which is another somewhat similar take on the early 90s shooter

And then when you want to go down further into the rabbit hole, get the original Doom games on PC and download all sorts of mods and wads for that poo poo :getin:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I completed Dusk around Christmas and its just a great retro fps throwback, good times

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm finally allowed leave lockdown and I'm away for a week with the GF so I won't be posting here cos the internet sucks. But I'm not dead :getin:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/1277931620146671619

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Why can't any of these companies make an emulator and virtual library you can buy from?

Oh wait nintendo did and abandoned it lmao suckers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which ending, out of curiosity? Because the game actually does have pretty varied ones.

Ending? Oh I played until the opening credits and already hate everything.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

neat new trailer for ghost of tsushima came out yesterday (no new gameplay tho)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcWk08PBe7k

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah at this point I'll just be happy to have my ps4 stuff carry over. I know I'll keep a ps2 around for a long time for ps1/ps2 stuff (almost every game worth a drat from the ps3 generation either has a remaster or I can play it on xbox on their bc)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

its not a no!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Heck yeah! Vague enough that I still carry a glimmer of hope :)

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kl5qbQQsV3I

This looks cool. Maybe something that can scratch that puzzler itch that the Witness left. Out July 7.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Attitude Indicator posted:

This looks cool. Maybe something that can scratch that puzzler itch that the Witness left. Out July 7.

please tell me this is in vr too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Playing that in VR would be really weird seeing as most of the tricks in the trailer rely on the limits of fake 3D perspective on a 2D display

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah stereoscopic vision would ruin the effect since you'd have depth perception. Looks cool though, I could go for another Portal, sure.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
Well I finally finished Last of Us 2, I don't know how many hours it took exactly but it was 2 weeks of playing 5 hours a day on Survivor, I think it might be one of the longest game I've ever played (if you don't count trying to 100% an Open world game or something).

I think it was really good. Gameplay was not really anything new, just the gameplay I loved from the first game improved here and there. Which is fine.

I really hate the takes of "Joel deserved better" (I mean, I get it, it's mainly douches not wanting to see their favourite badass get beat up by a girl that doesn't fit into their idea of what body type a woman should have). It made perfect sense to me, Joel was a horrifically violent man who did terrible things and died a horrifically violent death. I was surprised at how early it happened in the game though though I think any shock and impact was slightly muted by my relief that they didn't fridge the girlfriend and go with that old trope.

I REALLY liked the Abby switchover, though I was a little annoyed at how little crossover there was between the two sides in her half of the story, during Ellie's there were a hints that we were missing a bigger part of the story and it was cool to see that revealed across Abby's story but I thought they could have also had a little more interaction between Abby and what Ellie was doing in the Abby part of the game (perhaps hearing about some of the Salt Lake city crews deaths in the school and TV station across a radio or conversation between WLFs. I was surprised she didn't come across Nora's body after the Rat King fight. It really was 2 characters doing their own thing until the final return to the aquarium.

I was bummed when Jesse died but then I liked Lev and Yara which really helped make the game succeed in getting me to emphasis with Abby so that was a success.

Overall it was a pretty great game, glad they made it

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Just a fair warning, that game is like two hours long. Only saying it because you compare it to the witness, where you could be in a specific area for one to two hours alone.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

acksplode posted:

Yeah stereoscopic vision would ruin the effect since you'd have depth perception. Looks cool though, I could go for another Portal, sure.

Being fair those kind of optical illusions do work IRL too, but I'm sure it'd be a bitch and a half to make it functional.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

It is supposedly pretty short, so not comparable to The Witness. Already out on Epic Store if you don't need it for PS4/Steam

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Being fair those kind of optical illusions do work IRL too, but I'm sure it'd be a bitch and a half to make it functional.

The static painted-on illusions could work in VR, but some stuff from that trailer like the DS4 suddenly becoming big and distant only work because you don't have depth perception to detect the change.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

acksplode posted:

The static painted-on illusions would work in VR, but some stuff from that trailer like the DS4 suddenly becoming big and distant only work because you don't have depth perception to detect the change.

Oh yeah, that's true. You might be able to flat-panel stuff in VR temporarily to make it work, but that part would be much harder to pull off.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dewgy posted:

The parts where you see a distorted image that becomes real from a certain angle would work, but the parts where you move an item from one context to another and suddenly it's enormous or tiny would break down if you could perceive true depth.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
So i got one of them newfangled back button attachments

With it, the DS4 is basically the perfect controller of this generation and has replaced my xbone controller for PC games. I need a mayflash for my switch now. I love this thing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hooray! The TV fix guy fixed my TV!

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

ymgve posted:

It is supposedly pretty short, so not comparable to The Witness. Already out on Epic Store if you don't need it for PS4/Steam

Ah well, i generally like short games though.
My ps4 is the only thing i play games on so im gonna get it to play on a stormy summer afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

So i got one of them newfangled back button attachments

With it, the DS4 is basically the perfect controller of this generation and has replaced my xbone controller for PC games. I need a mayflash for my switch now. I love this thing.
For sure. I hope one comes out for the DualSense. I’m trying to find another one for my second controller but they still seem sold out everywhere in Canada.