Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Sufjan Stevens has just announced The Ascension due out September 25th. This will be only his third solo record since 2005's Illinois. That fact blows my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
New Glass Animals track, after they delayed their record release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRD0-GxqHVo

I love those guys

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019

Nihonniboku posted:

Sufjan Stevens has just announced The Ascension due out September 25th. This will be only his third solo record since 2005's Illinois. That fact blows my mind.

Carrie & Lowell
The Age of Adz
The BQE
The Avalanche
Illinois
A Sun Came
Enjoy Your Rabbit
Seven Swans
Michigan
All Delighted People

a bunch of one-offs too that aren't ambient or soundscape work like "Tonya Harding", "Love Yourself", "With My Whole Heart", etc.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"since Illinois", so yeah, basically

I'm massively curious as always. And the single will determine how excited I am.

He always puts out quality work, but "excited" is not always the word for it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Solomon Gumball posted:

Carrie & Lowell
The Age of Adz
The BQE
The Avalanche
Illinois
A Sun Came
Enjoy Your Rabbit
Seven Swans
Michigan
All Delighted People

a bunch of one-offs too that aren't ambient or soundscape work like "Tonya Harding", "Love Yourself", "With My Whole Heart", etc.

I'm aware of his discography. I was talking about his main records, not his collaborations, b-sides, random singles, side projects, or EPs. He's put out A LOT of work. But before September, he has only put out 2 main records since 2005.

At this point though we're quibbling over semantics. Sufjan's work is vast and prolific.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 30, 2020

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Hello thread,

I can only pick one. What do I do?

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm aware of his discography. I was talking about his main records, not his collaborations, b-sides, random singles, side projects, or EPs. He's put out A LOT of work. But before September, he has only put out 2 main records since 2005.

At this point though we're quibbling over semantics. Sufjan's work is vast and prolific.

Most of those aren't side projects. I don't know what you're counting, but he's released more than three solo albums by far. I could include all the side projects, which are long and I'm not about to argue about Sufjan Stevens.

He gave up on the state project, why count Illinois out of all records as his last tent-pole release?

Solomon Gumball fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 30, 2020

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Solomon Gumball posted:

Most of those aren't side projects. I don't know what you're counting, but he's released more than three solo albums by far. I could include all the side projects, which are long and I'm not about to argue about Sufjan Stevens.

He gave up on the state project, why count Illinois out of all records as his last tent-pole release?

So I want to preface this with saying that I love Sufjan, and I legit enjoy talking about this, and I apologize if this comes off as arguing. I could talk about Sufjan all day.

I'm not saying that Illinois is his last tent pole release. I'm saying that since Illinois, there have only been 2 tent-pole releases, Age of Adz and Carrie and Lowell. I think you just misread what I was saying.

The Avalanche is b-sides to Illinois. All Delight People is an EP, although it might as well be considered an LP given its length. The BQE was a commissioned project that he only did a handful of performances for in New York if I remember correctly, alongside that neat video project.

I don't consider these tent pole releases because Sufjan doesn't consider them tent pole releases. This isn't me assigning some arbitrary label to them. The only major tours he's done for solo work since Illinois have been to promote Age of Adz and Carrie & Lowell. Edit, I just remembered that he did that short tour for his Christmas stuff back in 2012.

I love The BQE and All Delight People. But I'll direct any new fan to his tent-pole releases first before the deeper cuts.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 30, 2020

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Solomon Gumball posted:

I mean it seems pretty obvious? Avalanche was a B-side project and BQE was an instrumental soundtrack. I don't think anyone's disparaging their quality, they're just different.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Carrie & Lowell is one of my favorite all time albums

Also the new HAIM album is stupendous. Im on my like 10th full listen?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Carrie & Lowell would have been the #1 most depressing album of the decade if Jason Isbell didn't write Southeastern in rehab two years earlier. It's a beautiful record though, and Sufjan Stevens is a beautiful man. I saw him at Newport Folk in 2015 when the album was new and it was pretty amazing to hear 20,000 people sing "we're all gonna die" in unison.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

exquisite tea posted:

Carrie & Lowell would have been the #1 most depressing album of the decade if Jason Isbell didn't write Southeastern in rehab two years earlier.
A Crow Looked at Me came out in 2017

I cannot overstate how excited I am for a new Sufjan album to cry about for another five years.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Remalle posted:

I cannot overstate how excited I am for a new Sufjan album to cry about for another five years.

Saaaaame. But I would also be happy for another dance party anthem like "Impossible Soul."

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Y'all got any playlists like this one?

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/68KleIYpRxBuOSJb8gdbZg?si=SU2tBfE9Tny7IHZ8655rsQ

It's all cozy, sleepy indie folk, very good playlist, I like it a lot!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Have you ever listened to Luluc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXWaLtxyC5w

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Diggin the new HAIM and it's definitely their best alb so far, though it kinda feels like it's been overshadowed by so much other good music - big testament to how many high quality have dropped so far this year

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I still like their first album more but it's close.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Bob Dylan's newest album is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-oOCo1Y1bw

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
New Sufjan single has dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK9EImqaKvI

It's good. A little bit Age of Adz, a little bit Planetarium, a little bit Carrie & Lowell live.

Another song, "My Rajneesh" has leaked online.

It's better. It has some slamming drums, and even samples some of what I think is "Vesuvius."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nihonniboku posted:

New Sufjan single has dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK9EImqaKvI

It's good. A little bit Age of Adz, a little bit Planetarium, a little bit Carrie & Lowell live.

Another song, "My Rajneesh" has leaked online.

It's better. It has some slamming drums, and even samples some of what I think is "Vesuvius."
I'm loving this one and it's got me very excited for the album!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

BigglesSWE posted:

Bob Dylan's newest album is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-oOCo1Y1bw

This is a really good album. Possibly his best since Love & Theft.

Oddly, Love & Theft had just come out to a lot of praise, and that was the first Dylan album I tried listening to. It took a few years for that album to sink in, and I had to go back to the beginning of his career.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
If only Suff Jan could make more whispery flute songs themed after Delaware or Wyoming. I control his Wikipedia page and the state discography section I keep labeled as WIP.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

the brilliant women of boygenius put up some demos yesterday on Bandcamp for BC's "everything goes to the artist Friday" and donated all the proceeds to charities picked by each of the three of them. the demos are... you know, demos. a little insight into the recording process but of course their EP is one of the most perfect pieces of music I've ever heard so I was happy to get even just a little more.

go listen to boygenius' EP again. it's real good.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

DC Murderverse posted:

go listen to boygenius' EP again. it's real good.

:yeah:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Twin Cinema posted:

This is a really good album. Possibly his best since Love & Theft.

Oddly, Love & Theft had just come out to a lot of praise, and that was the first Dylan album I tried listening to. It took a few years for that album to sink in, and I had to go back to the beginning of his career.

“Mississippi” is easily one of his best songs. Love & Theft is a good listen any day of the week.

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
I don't foresee Sufjan finishing out the state project. He said so far as much as he bit off more than he could chew and didn't want to be writing songs like that all the time. He blew through states he's familiar with, there's only a few left. I've heard from Sufjan fans that C&L is considered the Oregon album which I get the intent, it's not about Oregon or doing the background extensive research on it. I feel he already had a good grasp on the states he covered but I think it'd be incredible time-consuming for him to research on top of writing material on states he's no super familiar with.

New Bob is a good as Tempest and L&F. Modern Times was solid, too. I still think Leonard Cohen has had him beat in the older years if these are Bob's swan songs from the vault.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/kasabianhq/status/1280094179100680193?s=21
:( Tom has always been such a great frontman and nice person when I’ve heard him speak(obviously things weren’t pretty though). This sucks.

edit: band just revealed they kicked him out once he was found guilty of domestic assault.

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 7, 2020

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Technically doesn't "America" complete the 50 states project?

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

First new Future Islands single in 3 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC_2tlsnpMw

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

angrygodofjebus posted:

First new Future Islands single in 3 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC_2tlsnpMw

I will never get tired of FI beats and Sams voice.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Slandible posted:

And that video is bangin

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

My favourite thing about Future Islands is that Sam sounds like some kind of archwizard, and that is good as hell.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Slandible posted:

100% agreed. And their amazing live shows in better times :(

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

angrygodofjebus posted:

100% agreed. And their amazing live shows in better times :(

I've seen them twice and they delivered in spades each time.

New James Blake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL_-bakSRlc

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Happy new Beths album to you all
https://open.spotify.com/album/048KrxquURM9stY0MgH3kw?si=m1d8aBR1Q6SzBG8bLw1TSQ

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

drat YOU

i WAS getting excited. I thought maybe it was tomorrow in NZ already and this was out "early" for the uncivilized world. But no it's all dimmed for me.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

For those of you who aren't in the best timezone (it's NZ time, sorry I don't make the rules) and can't listen to the new album or go see them on the release tour, The Beths are doing a livestream in about 2.5 hours.

https://youtu.be/eN9yRNa4ZUM

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
gently caress I'm sorry for getting your hopes up.

Album good though. Hopefully it isn't locked for much longer.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Doves single!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q02PXRTMus4