Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I really want to love Focus Home Interactive, but boy did they gently caress up with their licencing agreement with Frogwares. I hope they improve things and don't just cut off developers when their agreements run out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

they acquired the studio plus IPs so there are no licensing agreements like that. They could let someone else develop the next Surge or whatever if they wanted to.

I don't think thats currently their intention though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hwurmp posted:

if it does that thing where the US forces are all shining heroes then it's still Nazi propaganda
a)What?
b)There are no US forces, did you even click on the link?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Picked up Juicy Realm in the sale as it's $5

It's a roguelite (such an inaccurate term) in the vein of Enter The Gungeon/Isaac/Nuclear Throne with some great art and style. I haven't seen nuts item combinations yet, think it's more of the gradual power and variety increase of Rogue Legacy. Graphics and sound are excellent and it's got two player coop with remote play.

Not sure how much content there is but ten characters and quite a lot of weird weapons, really good for $5

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Carecat posted:

Picked up Juicy Realm in the sale as it's $5

It's a roguelite (such an inaccurate term) in the vein of Enter The Gungeon/Isaac/Nuclear Throne with some great art and style. I haven't seen nuts item combinations yet, think it's more of the gradual power and variety increase of Rogue Legacy. Graphics and sound are excellent and it's got two player coop with remote play.

Not sure how much content there is but ten characters and quite a lot of weird weapons, really good for $5

Looks cute!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mordja posted:

a)What?
b)There are no US forces, did you even click on the link?

Yeah, that's a pretty weird and bad take, especially relating to a game where the US has no bearing? It's literally set in 1941, the year before the US joined? At worst at this point they're sending lend lease weapons.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I did say "if"

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Is there any way to catch up on missed discovery queue card drop days? I tried doing it a few times but it only yielded one card.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Also, don't blame Rockstar for removing music. That's just licensing bullshit, and with someone as big as them, license holders probably would take action.

It’s surprising that an outfit as sophisticated as Rockstar is licensing music in a way that requires them to go back and rip it out.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

El_Elegante posted:

It’s surprising that an outfit as sophisticated as Rockstar is licensing music in a way that requires them to go back and rip it out.

They should go back to making their own music for the games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEi_yNAre2I

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

El_Elegante posted:

That's pretty standard when it comes to licensing music, or at least it definitely was before digital distribution became mainstream and standard. It's the same for licensing planes and guns - it's the big reason why Ace Combat 5 can't be re-released, even though they have a version that runs perfectly on PS4.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I got Stellaris in a bundle at some point in the last few years and fancy giving it a whirl. Which are the good DLCs to grab while they are on sale? Some reviews mention there's a couple of must-haves like Leviathans and Utopia?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

SimonChris posted:

They should go back to making their own music for the games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEi_yNAre2I

At this point it's too late, but yeah the early GTAs 1-3 had some drat good soundtracks.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone know how the Huntsman Imperial Supplies reinforcements are supposed to work? I got the first event where I picked what I wanted, but I don't have the cannon or grenade launcher outriders I asked for in my only army and the reinforcement timer reset to 30+ more turns.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Fargin Icehole posted:

At this point it's too late, but yeah the early GTAs 1-3 had some drat good soundtracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySzWXgbZeYM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrg1m-B6iXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4yave4ZaSc

Connor & Jay deserve to be better known.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 30, 2020

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

El_Elegante posted:

GTA4 is from 2008, games - especially ones mainly targeted at the console market - being sold perpetually (beyond x million pressed copies) or again as remasters/remakes wasn't really a thing so much I think. I imagine music contracts look different these days.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

LLSix posted:

Anyone know how the Huntsman Imperial Supplies reinforcements are supposed to work? I got the first event where I picked what I wanted, but I don't have the cannon or grenade launcher outriders I asked for in my only army and the reinforcement timer reset to 30+ more turns.

The units should be available for recruitment (for free!) for your armies from one of those buttons beside the regular recruitment button.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

That's pretty standard when it comes to licensing music, or at least it definitely was before digital distribution became mainstream and standard. It's the same for licensing planes and guns - it's the big reason why Ace Combat 5 can't be re-released, even though they have a version that runs perfectly on PS4.

Well, no. After "Brown v. Entertainment Merchants Association", video games are art, does not need to licence the reality it depicts.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/08/how-video-games-license-guns/596296/

Why this does not extend to cars and planes, I don't know. But I guess noone has challenged it in court yet.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Xakura posted:

Well, no. After "Brown v. Entertainment Merchants Association", video games are art, does not need to licence the reality it depicts.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/08/how-video-games-license-guns/596296/

Why this does not extend to cars and planes, I don't know. But I guess noone has challenged it in court yet.
I hope I'm not the only one who is getting a kick out of the fact that in the end, it's a court decision that conclusively decides the question of whether video games are art. They are, at least for the purposes of licensing fees.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Anyone have any thoughts on early access game Uboat? I've been eyeing it since release but hearing it's super buggy kept me off, and now I get the impression it's less buggy and seems like the devs make steady progress. Tempted to pick it up this sale as it's looking playable and I don't think it's going to get any cheaper between now and release.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
For anyone thinking about Fallen Order the people who said its a Metroid Souls are 100% right.

I'm enjoying it but I can see how anyone wanting a action adventure game would drop it after the first planet.

You definitely get tired of exploring and finding all these crates you can't open and clearly force power label objects you can't access yet. The beforeiplay and general game chat said do not try to explore too much until your second trip to the main planet to unlock the major travel/shortcut abilities.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

PlushCow posted:

hearing it's super buggy kept me off, and now I get the impression it's less buggy and seems like the devs make steady progress. Tempted to pick it up this sale as it's looking playable and I don't think it's going to get any cheaper between now and release.
Never buy games in Early Access.

Beta testers are supposed to be the ones getting paid, not doing the paying.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

How's the DLC for Resident Evil 7? Essential, good, bad or not worth it? I'm debating getting it as my final sale purchase, but am not sure if the Gold edition that includes the season pass is worth being double the price.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

How's the DLC for Resident Evil 7? Essential, good, bad or not worth it? I'm debating getting it as my final sale purchase, but am not sure if the Gold edition that includes the season pass is worth being double the price.
End of Zoe is absolutely essential. It is the best DLC there has ever been for a Resident Evil game, full stop. Not A Hero is okay, but you can skip it if you don't feel like it. The rest is forgettable and messes with the timeline of the game to the point where certain things don't make sense anymore.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

You gift good, keep it up!

(everyone! ride the steam gift train! It's good!!)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

I have at least 3-4 games in my steam library that never left early access and the developers gave up on.

This doesn't even include the Spacebase DF-9 debacle, or the Stardrive issues, etc. Not supporting developers releasing an incomplete game and promising to fix it later is the new "don't preorder video games"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

pentyne posted:

Not supporting developers releasing an incomplete game and promising to fix it later is the new "don't preorder video games"
I have bought a handful of EA titles and had them turn out well, but I completely agree with this anyway. Never buy the cat in the bag if you have any way at all to avoid it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Bad Parenting posted:

I got Stellaris in a bundle at some point in the last few years and fancy giving it a whirl. Which are the good DLCs to grab while they are on sale? Some reviews mention there's a couple of must-haves like Leviathans and Utopia?

The thread here has lots of good info: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850079

Utopia is probably the most substantive improvement because it lets you build cool poo poo like dyson spheres and ring planets as well as implementing some other features that are really useful.

What else you get depends on what you're interested in.

Megacorp: Do you want your civilization to be a galaxy spanning corporation?
Synthetic Dawn: Do you want to take over the galaxy as a robotic hive-mind? This would be my pick, just because some of the AI factions are really interesting.
Apocalypse: Do you want to build a death star?
Federations: Idunno, like space diplomacy or something? I haven't played around with this yet. Diplomacy is already in the base game but nobody likes it.

Leviathans: giant world-ending space creatures as well as some other weird poo poo.
Ancient relics: adds exploration/archaeology content. Cool, but definitely optional.
Distant Stars: Adds a ton of scripted story events and bonuses. If you like what's already in the game, this expands on it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Early Access is an increasingly useless label because it covers proof of concept alphas, open betas, feature complete needing content, and even feature complete content rich but living games.

Its also not required in any way if you want to release a game in any above states and I'd be interested to know if and how the press washed out with 'why you not EA?" vs "ugh not another EA".

Just buy games you want to play now. Corollary it's also weird we've gone down this whole EA discussion and nobody has even commented how Uboat is (I would also like to know any tipping point opinions as well after watching it each sale)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I have bought a handful of EA titles and had them turn out well, but I completely agree with this anyway. Never buy the cat in the bag if you have any way at all to avoid it.

Kentucky Road Zero might be one of the few sucess stories of the model, but it was a small handful of people who kept at it for several years and everything they did put out was spectacular on its own.

Mostly its "here's chapter one of our arpg game, welp now we're finished here's some crappy new levels and no major fixes that'll be $40 also we don't believe in sales"

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The only early access titles I've enjoyed are ones recommended to me by friends. There's too much hype out there to risk buying EA games until I'm certain they are rock solid.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Shrecknet posted:

Buy games in early access if you want to play it right now, with the content that is in right now. Buy based on promises only if you want to support the dev and the project.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

EA’s reputation really isn’t deserved when there’s just as much dogshit shovelware on steam that releases with no EA period, and there are numerous EA success stories including crypt of the necrodancer, nuclear throne, dead cells, hades, subnautica, deep rock galactic, grim dawn and darkwood.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cook Service Delicious 3's EA status has meant that it released without the full set of levels and it's been adding them on a regular basis. Also it lacked some stuff like the cosmetics for your food truck and a few QOL things. The dev is very active on discord and bugfixes happen fast, so it's been an ideal EA experience. You know what you're getting, the dev tells you what he's working on, and the game is awesome to play.

e: Oh and when I say bugs in my experience I've only found one or two and reported them, it's not a buggy game. Stuff like "this voice clip is playing at a wrong time".

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's more the frustration which comes from EA often promising so much and delivering so little that makes it have its bad reputation, I think. When you buy a finished game and it is bad, you know that what you paid for was bad. When you buy an EA game and it never goes anywhere, you pay for a promise. People always react worse to unfulfilled promises than to straight-up getting cheated on a deal.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Players tend to misunderstand what happens during EA. In early access titles you tend to see a lot of the kind of changes that upset players (balance changes) and not many of the updates that make players happy (extra content) - this is through no fault of the devs, it's just how it works. Avoiding EA games is basically never wrong but if it's a genre you're crazy about you're not going to let that stop you.

Slay the Spire was great during EA but it was basically complete for two of the characters back then and the only things added to IC/Silent in the past few years are relics, potions, true final boss, and balance changes.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 30, 2020

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

I agree with your sentiment but disagree with this specific statement. I say buy Early Access games only if they are currently in a state that is worth the money you are paying for it.

There's a lot of half-finished crap that will never be updated again but some developers keep their excellent and basically finished products in Early Access until every last bit is super polished.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I've had more successes than failures buying EA. Do your research, it's fine.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

If I buy Titanfall 2 and Dragon Age: Inquisition through steam can I play them without an Origin account?

Every loving time I want to play a game I have on Origin my account is stolen again and I am done bothering to recover it so Origin is a complete dealbreaker for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

zedprime posted:

Early Access is an increasingly useless label because it covers proof of concept alphas, open betas, feature complete needing content, and even feature complete content rich but living games.

Its also not required in any way if you want to release a game in any above states and I'd be interested to know if and how the press washed out with 'why you not EA?" vs "ugh not another EA".

Just buy games you want to play now. Corollary it's also weird we've gone down this whole EA discussion and nobody has even commented how Uboat is (I would also like to know any tipping point opinions as well after watching it each sale)

Yeah I want to know how playable Uboat is right now.

Buy games in early access if you want to play it right now, with the content that is in right now. Buy based on promises only if you want to support the dev and the project.

This is how I see it. I stay away from early access games except for ones where buying it is half [I want to play right now] half [I want to support the devs]. Early access games I've bought: Holdfast, Blackwake, Naval Action were all for those reasons, all have released and I've put plenty of hours into each one; still have them installed and play from time to time. The only other early access game I've bought and that I consider a bad purchase is Dead Cells, since I haven't played it at all.