Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
i respect anik for seamlessly going from telling us the fight clock is brought to us by modelo to losing his entire poo poo when masvidal killed askren

also, never forget that he got a 209 tattoo for predicting conor would beat nate at ufc 196

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Anik is at his best when he’s no-selling some lunatic like Mike Perry in post fight interviews. He’s still being fully professional, but you can see in his eyes that he’s absolutely delighted by whatever the gently caress he’s witnessing. He doesn’t escalate, he doesn’t butt in, he just facilitates whatever silliness is in progress until the production truck tells him it’s time to go to commercial.

Anik in the booth, whatever. He’s the glue that keeps the play by play folks in the right place. At least he’s not as performative with the sponsor plugs as Goldie was. (I do miss CORN TO THE CORE etc, but the sport has grown up...)

Mauro always skeeved me out, even before his, “I’d touch her with a 10 centimeter pole!” quip.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Craig Hummer was worse than Mike Goldberg.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
He gets some pretty good deadpan jokes in sometimes too.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I think one of the really great things that we can all agree about with regards to Anik is that he's shown growth and improvement over the years, rather than a stagnation or deterioration.

I have mixed feelings about not knowing the work of most of the commentators ya'll are mentioning, on the one hand ignorance doesn't feel great, on the other you're talking about commentators you dislike, so maybe I'm better off.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Brain Curry posted:

This picture of Goldie still cracks me up.

lmao

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
namaste, AND IT IS AAAAAAALLL OVERRRRR

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

40+ posts fully expected JBJ to have murdered a protestor or something.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bluedeanie posted:

Meanwhile, just close your eyes and imagine Cruz calling a fight with Faber, TJ or Garbrandt.

It would be hell, but at the same time, part and parcel of the UFC landscape, so I would still enjoy how utterly biased and petty Dom would get to be on air.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

ilmucche posted:

Mike Goldberg owns

Attempting to defend the worst commentator ever, is SA forums poster ill emyuku kchee , Joe

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
You guys do remember that Tito Ortiz did some commentary, right? I think that has to be recognized if you're going to discuss worst of all time. Though Mauro is still likely in a class of his own.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

tito's in ring interviews were fantastic. they were like if someone let jon jones kick me in the head, handed me a mic, and instructed me to interview a fighter in spanish. i mean, I'll get a few words out that are technically spanish, but it sure wont mean anything intelligible

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

LobsterMobster posted:

i respect anik for seamlessly going from telling us the fight clock is brought to us by modelo to losing his entire poo poo when masvidal killed askren

also, never forget that he got a 209 tattoo for predicting conor would beat nate at ufc 196

This is amazing, and I'm surprised i didn't know about it till now

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Since it's commentary talk I always thought Brian Stann did a pretty good job.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Re: Kay Hansen

I just want to put this here for archival purposes, this is vague enough that it doesn't fully clarify her current views, but what's implied seems good. This is probably a bad time to further press her on the issues, but if someone spots future chud-like behavior/rhetoric from her in the future somewhere I'd appreciate a heads up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Brut posted:

This is probably a bad time to further press her on the issues, but if someone spots future chud-like behavior/rhetoric from her in the future somewhere I'd appreciate a heads up.

Seems reasonable to tell people to get to know her story, but then how do we do hear any of her side of the story except from her?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Seems reasonable to tell people to get to know her story, but then how do we do hear any of her side of the story except from her?

Yeah, you're absolutely right, I just think repeatedly tweeting at her about it 3 days after she fought is probably not gonna get a solid response out of her. Prior to this weekend I had no idea she even existed, so I'm just gonna try to pay close attention to future media interviews with her and see how she seems, hoping that these subjects come up and she has something more articulate to say.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I think I saw her in a couple of the EBI qualifiers they run at 10p HQ, id be glad if shes not a chud, that armbar finish was real slick. :unsmith:

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

Southpaugh posted:

40+ posts fully expected JBJ to have murdered a protestor or something.

Come on, man. That’d net ten posts at most before we neurotically fixate on minutiae such as how knowledgeable Jon Anik is or isn’t. I guess we’re saving discussion of the greatest card of all time until next week

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County

Lid posted:

these posts are virtually identical

Got a laugh out of me

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm pretty chill on forgiving people for having bad opinions when they're 18 if they apologize and show good behaviour going forward. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, but her tattoos still suck.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I'm pretty chill on forgiving people for having bad opinions when they're 18 if they apologize and show good behaviour going forward. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, but her tattoos still suck.

we just established that Anik is the only person in MMA with good tattoos. unfair to hold that against her imo

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Dom sounds like a fan who lost a bet and had to do commentary, and instead of having some fun with it they take it extremely seriously and spiral as they constantly gently caress up and make it more awkward

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

awesomeolion posted:

Dom sounds like a fan who lost a bet and had to do commentary, and instead of having some fun with it they take it extremely seriously and spiral as they constantly gently caress up and make it more awkward

I said this in one of the recent GDTs but I think he really can't tell the difference between commentating and cornering, every time he immediately jumps in to "What the the fighter needs to do is" and goes in to a step by step that is way too specific and not at all useful for the viewer, all while sounding disgusted that the fighter isn't doing the exact thing he's saying.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Dom is the most annoying current commentator and I was glad to see him gently caress up multiple times over the weekend saying how tight a sub attempt was literal seconds before the fighter escaped.

I guess John Gooden is pretty boring but I honestly can't remember him saying anything notable, good or bad...

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gooden/Hardy is a solid combo in my opinion.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Mekchu posted:

Gooden/Hardy is a solid combo in my opinion.

I like them especially when Felder joins them. I think Hardy is the most underrated color guy in the business.

I also like Anik exactly because he is the deadpan responsible adult in a room full of macho lunatics. He has that Gene Okerlund thing going for him in that way. Or think about how much better the Marx Brothers are when Zeppo is there, even though Zeppo himself is basically never funny, the fact of him makes the others funnier than if they just go with the three funny ones all the time.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Lucasar posted:

I also like Anik exactly because he is the deadpan responsible adult in a room full of macho lunatics. He has that Gene Okerlund thing going for him in that way.

Now I really need Anik to grow out the mustache and the male pattern baldness hairdo. And then just never acknowledge it on air ever.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
i liked the time that DC and Joe did edibles together and then commented an entire card

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
I used to like DC, but then THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!! THUG ROSE!!

He gets a little TOO emotional for my tastes.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New month, new thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930960