Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I read the OP but anyone got some hot tips for making sure food stays submerged?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
If some air gets trapped in the bag and it wont submerge or because its super fatty, I just weigh it down with a set of tongs or some other utensil. Just look for air bubbles to make sure its sealed completely.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Coredump posted:

I read the OP but anyone got some hot tips for making sure food stays submerged?

I've used enameled steel trivets. I think some folks have used binder clips to clip on some sort of ballast as well. Yo could always vac bag some rocks and clip those on.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I think I've seen stainless steel racks designed to stay in the water that have latches to keep the bag underwater, but you'd need some sort of waterproof gloves or something probably.

I usually just do some variety of weight when required. The silicone bags seem like they can be slightly more difficult to sink than plastic, but I like the idea of reusing.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
My sealer is leaving a lot to be desired these days as far as evacuating air as well as sealing properly. Whats a solid no frills unit that wont hurt the wallet too much?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been happy with my Foodsaver(s), and SubG reps his Rival. I think that technology has been sufficiently developed that as long as you're not buying off of wish or something, you will be fine.

edit: Also when I first had a foodsaver I thought it wasn't getting it done but it turns out the gasket that grabs the bag was a little dirty, so air was leaking around it while trying to evacuate the air, and the lack of a flat surface meant sealing pressure wasn't being applied evenly. Give the gasket a good wipe on top and bottom if you haven't already checked that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 30, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hasselblad posted:

My sealer is leaving a lot to be desired these days as far as evacuating air as well as sealing properly. Whats a solid no frills unit that wont hurt the wallet too much?

Not sure your price range; I started my journey with a $20 Seal-a-Meal unit that was . . . functional. Mostly. It was tough to use, because it didn't have a manual switch to go from pulling vacuum to activating the sealer; it just had to hit its own internal cutoff. I suspect the pressure sensor is what died on it, since it would still pull decent vacuum but would never stop.

When it died, I took the opportunity to get this model:
https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Non-Roll-Vacuum-Sealing-FM2000-015/dp/B01BK8UDCA

I feel like the ability to kill the suck and begin sealing immediately is a nice one. If the food is a bit too juicy, I'll just hit the switch and get the seal completed before the juice sneaks up into the unit. I figure that a 99% vacuum is good enough for my use case, and it keeps me from having to go through a cycle or three of wiping out the inside of the bag trying to achieve a seal.

I want to say I got this for $75 at Wal-Mart a year or so ago, but I'm not 100% at this point.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

You can pick up a Nutrichef at Aldi, and it hasn't failed me yet.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
I've been quite impressed with some silicone coated sous vide magnets I got a while ago. The only time they've failed was when I was doing large bags of veggies that produced enough steam to float the bags.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It’s worth just replacing your sealer gaskets every few years. I thought my FoodSaver was toast, but it works was good as new now.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Coredump posted:

I just use whatever weighty items that are in my cabinet, though I'm avoiding using metal ones due to some of my makeshift weights rusting after a while.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
A dollar store pack or two of marbles/aquarium stones, sealed in a vac seal bag with a little water to avoid air bubbles, has worked like a treat for me recently.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I think I've mentioned this before but I like using a couple magnets to keep my stuff submerged. One goes under the vessel and the other goes in with the water and pinches the bag down between the magnets.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've been happy with my Foodsaver(s), and SubG reps his Rival. I think that technology has been sufficiently developed that as long as you're not buying off of wish or something, you will be fine.

edit: Also when I first had a foodsaver I thought it wasn't getting it done but it turns out the gasket that grabs the bag was a little dirty, so air was leaking around it while trying to evacuate the air, and the lack of a flat surface meant sealing pressure wasn't being applied evenly. Give the gasket a good wipe on top and bottom if you haven't already checked that.

Mine is a foodsaver and I can only get to the bottom gasket. Also is it me or have foodsaver bags begun to use a lot thinner plastic? Noticed a lot of my frozen stuff developing rips (not from bones jabbing through) from shuffling things around in the chest freezer.

edit: Managed a decent double seal and have 72 hour beef ribs swimming presently. I have 3 utensils on top of them to keep them submerged, having failed to get enough air out with the foodsaver. :argh:

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 30, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hasselblad posted:

Mine is a foodsaver and I can only get to the bottom gasket. Also is it me or have foodsaver bags begun to use a lot thinner plastic? Noticed a lot of my frozen stuff developing rips (not from bones jabbing through) from shuffling things around in the chest freezer.

I don't use any particular branded bag, but instead go on Amazon or whatever and find 50' rolls of whatever thickness plastic I ordered last time in 11" wide (I want to say 3mil but don't quote me on that)

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Zarin posted:

I don't use any particular branded bag, but instead go on Amazon or whatever and find 50' rolls of whatever thickness plastic I ordered last time in 11" wide (I want to say 3mil but don't quote me on that)

What search terms? Are you talking about rolls that are already side-welded, or simply plastic single ply sheets?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Hasselblad posted:

What search terms? Are you talking about rolls that are already side-welded, or simply plastic single ply sheets?

Already side welded.
There's good deals but give the comments a quick skim. I was real upset with one set I picked up until I saw somebody mentioned in the comments to seal with the non-ribbed side towards the heat strip. They worked just perfect after making that change.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hasselblad posted:

This is what I got last time:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DKRZ53Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't remember where I found the thickness at, but this I guess gives an idea of what I'm talking about.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

It’s worth just replacing your sealer gaskets every few years. I thought my FoodSaver was toast, but it works was good as new now.

Every few years? My vacmaster is at least a dozen years old and I’ve done zero maintenance. It’s the low end model which specifically didn’t call for oiling the pump and it’s been fine with light use (a few times a week except for tamale day when it seals many many dozens of bags of tamales).

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Ultimate Mango posted:

Every few years? My vacmaster is at least a dozen years old and I’ve done zero maintenance. It’s the low end model which specifically didn’t call for oiling the pump and it’s been fine with light use (a few times a week except for tamale day when it seals many many dozens of bags of tamales).

Maybe I’m more messy 🤷‍♂️

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Coredump posted:

I put some old bolts from the piles of workshop poo poo I inherited from my grandpa into scraps of vacuum bag and sealed them, then I can throw one if those in with whatever I’m cooking to weigh the bag down.

I do like the suggestion up thread to add a little water to the ballast pack, but so far mine’s doing the job.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I don’t understand the need for fancy doohickeys to keep things submerged.

I put plates and mugs in the dishwasher, why not put them in my water bath? Big tri-tip? Put a dinner plate on it.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

ColHannibal posted:

I don’t understand the need for fancy doohickeys to keep things submerged.

I put plates and mugs in the dishwasher, why not put them in my water bath? Big tri-tip? Put a dinner plate on it.

I have a really big cooler for large cooks/groups of people, and if a large enough item wants to float, it'll just upend the plate and slide off to the side.

I guess because of the lack of success in the large bath, I never tried using it in the smaller one. Hmm.

Non-sequitur, but is there anywhere to get good, cheap plates? I like the Corelle style ones, but they're like $5 each and I never see anything like that at Goodwill.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I love Corelle. It's probably hit-or-miss at Goodwill, like none for six months and then a grandma's whole collection. It's cheaper as box sets or if there's a factory outlet anywhere near you, but tbh $5 is a good price for something that will look the same after 15 years as it did on day one. I would either pick a super common pattern or decide to mix and match say, all red patterns, so you can get whatever red pattern's cheapest and it looks deliberate.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Zarin posted:

I have a really big cooler for large cooks/groups of people, and if a large enough item wants to float, it'll just upend the plate and slide off to the side.

I guess because of the lack of success in the large bath, I never tried using it in the smaller one. Hmm.

Non-sequitur, but is there anywhere to get good, cheap plates? I like the Corelle style ones, but they're like $5 each and I never see anything like that at Goodwill.

Corelle had a nice sale recently and i got a bunch of stuff for reasonably cheap.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Anne Whateley posted:

I love Corelle. It's probably hit-or-miss at Goodwill, like none for six months and then a grandma's whole collection. It's cheaper as box sets or if there's a factory outlet anywhere near you, but tbh $5 is a good price for something that will look the same after 15 years as it did on day one. I would either pick a super common pattern or decide to mix and match say, all red patterns, so you can get whatever red pattern's cheapest and it looks deliberate.

I'm definitely not at a point in my life where I'm ready to care about matching dishware yet, I'm afraid. Mostly making do with hand-me-down everything, haha. At this rate, I'll be ready for matching dishware in a decade, maybe.

toplitzin posted:

Corelle had a nice sale recently and i got a bunch of stuff for reasonably cheap.

Directly from their website, or a distributor?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Zarin posted:

I'm definitely not at a point in my life where I'm ready to care about matching dishware yet, I'm afraid. Mostly making do with hand-me-down everything, haha. At this rate, I'll be ready for matching dishware in a decade, maybe.

Directly from their website, or a distributor?

Direct from corelle/pyrex it ended up being like $3-4/plate after all was said and done.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
xpost

BraveUlysses posted:

my dad knows I have a sous vide and found these for free at a garage sale, use them or ??? they are old as hell but unopened

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

I can't seem to find any information about what material they are made out of, but . . . there sure are a lot of listings for those on Ebay :confused:

I wouldn't THINK sitting around in a box would have altered them much, if any; imo (and I'm not a doctor) the only real risk would be if standards have changed on what is acceptable for food packaging and such in the intervening years.

Comedy: Maybe the OSHA thread would have some idea haha

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

We’re having some friends over tomorrow and one of them is pregnant.

I was going to grill some boneless short ribs along with other things and with boneless short ribs you want them cooked medium rare. Otherwise you braise them and cook them for a while.

So I know she shouldn’t eat medium rare steak. Could I sous vide it to 128 degrees for 2 hours and then do a quick sear on the grill? Would that 1) make it safe to eat and 2) would it affect the overall taste?

It’s obviously up to her but I know when my wife was pregnant that was all she wanted was a medium rare steak and we didn’t sous vide stuff at the time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The prohibition against medium rare steak, in addition to being cruel, is based on the idea that the meat hits 132F or whatever for a single instant. Holding at that temp longer can make it quite safe even for the immunocompromised. I don't have the time-temp charts to hand ATM, but I bet someone does.

E: I done find one for Salmonella (which is what FSIS cares about in beef, I think):

http://www.foodprotect.org/issues/packets/2012packet/attachments/iii_018__all.pdf

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 17, 2020

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

nwin posted:

I was going to grill some boneless short ribs along with other things and with boneless short ribs you want them cooked medium rare. Otherwise you braise them and cook them for a while.

So I know she shouldn’t eat medium rare steak. Could I sous vide it to 128 degrees for 2 hours and then do a quick sear on the grill? Would that 1) make it safe to eat and 2) would it affect the overall taste?

It’s obviously up to her but I know when my wife was pregnant that was all she wanted was a medium rare steak and we didn’t sous vide stuff at the time.
If you're going for pasteurised, 2 hours @ 55 C/130 F gets you there is the steak is 10 mm/0.4" thick or thinner. You can check the time and temperature charts from Baldwin for more details. Note that those are pasteurisation times, and if you're not being super cautious because the food's for someone who's pregnant or immunocompromised you don't need to hit those numbers to make the food safe for consumption.

And yeah, I think two hours at 55 C is at the upper end before it starts losing that medium texture, and so if I was doing a random steak for myself at that temperature I'd pull it and sear after around an hour. But it won't be gross or anything.

Also be sure to hold all COVID-19 contaminated breath droplets at 70 C for 30 minutes because holy poo poo the s-v steak is not what I'd be worried about inviting your pregnant friends over right now.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

nwin posted:

If you want to SV steaks to different levels of doneness, within reason, you can SV some of your steaks to a higher temperature first and then lower the bath temperature and add whatever you're not ruining.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'm in Japan, but for both my wife's pregnancies she ate raw fish all the time, so :shrug:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So medium rare is 129-135, meat is red and delicious and some would argue better if it’s a super fatty cut at 135.

Ribeyes I cook at 135, tri-tip at 132.

The only thing I cook under 130 these days is filet.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I definitely prefer 129 for ribeyes. The one I did at 127 was a bit underdone for me.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I like my Costco strips at 127, but I'm thinking of moving the next batch up to 131.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I do my Costco NY Strips at about 132 for about 2 hours if thawed, or 3 hours if frozen.

When corona started, Costco was out of NY strips so I just got what I could at the grocery store, which was a couple London broil steaks. But the last one I cooked the same way I cook the NY Strips came out real tough and rubbery. Is that just the way it is for that cheaper cut of meat? Is there anything I can do (higher/lower temperature, more/less time?) to make it more delicious?

Edit: I know there’s a lot of different cuts of meat that all get called “london broil”, but mine basically looks like this:

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/D9WN0D/raw-london-broil-D9WN0D.jpg

Edit2: Ok a little googling has told me that for a lean cut like this, I need to do more like 7-8 hours at 135F or so. So another question: generally the rule I follow when puddling from frozen is to take the cook time, cut it in half, and add it to the cook time. So 2 hours fresh is 3 hours frozen. 3 hours fresh is 4.5 hours frozen. I assume with a bath this long, that rule doesn’t apply? Maybe I do 8-9 hours instead of 7-8?

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 21, 2020

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

I do my Costco NY Strips at about 132 for about 2 hours if thawed, or 3 hours if frozen.

When corona started, Costco was out of NY strips so I just got what I could at the grocery store, which was a couple London broil steaks. But the last one I cooked the same way I cook the NY Strips came out real tough and rubbery. Is that just the way it is for that cheaper cut of meat? Is there anything I can do (higher/lower temperature, more/less time?) to make it more delicious?

Edit: I know there’s a lot of different cuts of meat that all get called “london broil”, but mine basically looks like this:

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/D9WN0D/raw-london-broil-D9WN0D.jpg

Edit2: Ok a little googling has told me that for a lean cut like this, I need to do more like 7-8 hours at 135F or so. So another question: generally the rule I follow when puddling from frozen is to take the cook time, cut it in half, and add it to the cook time. So 2 hours fresh is 3 hours frozen. 3 hours fresh is 4.5 hours frozen. I assume with a bath this long, that rule doesn’t apply? Maybe I do 8-9 hours instead of 7-8?

yup, for a cut that size you wouldn't need any extra time than you would normally use for a comparable frozen steak; the time to thaw and come to final temp isn't any longer, just the time you need at final temp to tenderize a tough cut

for thicker cuts it's a different issue (heat taking too long to penetrate fully and the meat staying in the danger zone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
London broil at 131F for about six hours or so is phenomenal. It’s a tougher cut, so it takes longer to get tender, but there’s so much flavor.