Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Daniel Bryan posted:

iBook Air you mean

The return of the iBook branding would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Hasturtium posted:

but I'm already considering grabbing an ARM Mini as the family PC.

I have a 2012 mini that I use for basic home stuff, and I will gladly be an early adopter when an arm mini drops.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

I have a 2012 mini that I use for basic home stuff, and I will gladly be an early adopter when an arm mini drops.

Big same.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My laptop just died, and 8 was going to buy a MacBook but I saw this afticle

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...ir-on-hold/amp/

Blowing smoke or a real concern?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

If you need one now and are going to use it now but it. It’s mostly smoke.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

If you need it right now, I’d buy it right now. All the MacBooks got upgrades in the last few weeks.

What I would not do is buy the first generation ARM MacBook that’s purportedly going to ship later this year.

Never buy first-gen Apple anything.

But the last of the Intel MacBook Air/MacBook Pros should last you quite a while. Lots of goons are upgrading right now for that very reason.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I get my tech advice from Forbes magazine

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno it's like the first thing that comes up when you Google macbook pro

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Quick non-ARM Mac discussion question:

Transferring files from a 2012 Macbook Air to a 2020 Macbook Pro: if I have a USB A to USB C (3.1) cable, will Target Disk Mode work?

I have a bunch of other options available, this just seems like the quickest and most painless if it's possible.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Forbes contributor articles are by and large useless (it says “contributor” next to the author name). PowerPC macs were supported just fine for years after the intel transition, I don’t imagine this will be any different.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
If you see a forbes.com link and the byline says "contributor" you can basically close the browser tab without reading any further and reclaim your short term memory for anything else. "Contributor" pages are basically the equivalent of blogspot links.

These days you can safely extrapolate that to anything from forbes.com at all.

MrBond fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 30, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's the /sites that IDs their blogging platform, but yeah I can't think of the last time I saw something from Forbes proper.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Before floundering publishers die they allow increasingly worse parties to trade on their name.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I get my tech advice from Forbes magazine

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/06a132b0-e4d5-4fd9-b334-d1b2004dcff4

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lmao

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

cowofwar posted:

Before floundering publishers die they allow increasingly worse parties to trade on their name.

And after, considering it's the most valuable thing they have left in the end.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

All the loving “tech journalists” like to claim they understand what Apple is up to.

However, this is very similar to how economists have predicted 11 of the last 4 recessions.

Based on Apple’s stated transition plan and the EOL for various OSes, it’ll be a bit before they’ve completely dropped x86_64. My guess is 5-6 years after the first ARM machines drop before we see the current x86_64 hardware get deprecated.

I expect to get a new laptop every 4-6 years so that’s right in my window. I just picked up a 16” MBP and that’ll keep me set to ride out the ARM transition.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Edit- and also what I’m saying is why have a portable 4-core laptop when you can have a less portable 6 or 8-core laptop and an iPad Pro? Bing bong so simple

:chaostrump:
This is what I’m doing right now at work and it owns. Laptop’s portable enough I can move it around between our offices and use it to virtualise stuff I’m working on and the iPad can do basically everything else I need while being super portable.

Also, fun tidbit for anyone that works in an exclusively Dell/Apple environment like I do: the Dell WD19tb dock works with the iPad Pro.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

rufius posted:

All the loving “tech journalists” like to claim they understand what Apple is up to.

However, this is very similar to how economists have predicted 11 of the last 4 recessions.

Based on Apple’s stated transition plan and the EOL for various OSes, it’ll be a bit before they’ve completely dropped x86_64. My guess is 5-6 years after the first ARM machines drop before we see the current x86_64 hardware get deprecated.

I expect to get a new laptop every 4-6 years so that’s right in my window. I just picked up a 16” MBP and that’ll keep me set to ride out the ARM transition.

Exactly my plan, I retired my 2013 15” and got a 16” in February, figure that will last me until 2025 and then I’ll arm jump. Gonna get a new iPad Pro next year and give my 10.5” to my daughter.

Assuming society survives all this *gestures wildly*.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Is it still possible to create a Boot Camp partitions, delete it, recover the space, and possibly recreate another one at a later date with APFS and a T2 chip 16inch MBP? I read some bullshit on reddit that said it was impossible to recover Boot Camp partitions and I'm trying to confirm that's not true.

I'm considering keeping a small Win10 partition around. But with only the base storage I'm struggling to decide on the size of the partition. Knowing I can blow it away and re-create it as needed makes the decision way easier.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Ziploc posted:

Is it still possible to create a Boot Camp partitions, delete it, recover the space, and possibly recreate another one at a later date with APFS and a T2 chip 16inch MBP? I read some bullshit on reddit that said it was impossible to recover Boot Camp partitions and I'm trying to confirm that's not true.

I'm considering keeping a small Win10 partition around. But with only the base storage I'm struggling to decide on the size of the partition. Knowing I can blow it away and re-create it as needed makes the decision way easier.

I have a 15” with APFS and a T2 chip and have made and reclaimed boot camp partitions.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Riven posted:

I have a 15” with APFS and a T2 chip and have made and reclaimed boot camp partitions.

Alright. I guess I'll keep my refurb then. Thank you.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

smax posted:

Quick non-ARM Mac discussion question:

Transferring files from a 2012 Macbook Air to a 2020 Macbook Pro: if I have a USB A to USB C (3.1) cable, will Target Disk Mode work?

I have a bunch of other options available, this just seems like the quickest and most painless if it's possible.

Nope. Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter with TB2 cable is your only option. Target Disk Mode is not supported through USB.

I just migrated a late 2013 MBP to my new 2020 MBA yesterday and the easiest way was using a Time Machine backup. Quick and painless.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Yeah, backing up to an external drive and then restoring from that is your best option unless you have a thunderbolt adapter.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Ok Comboomer posted:

Apple are the masters of upselling

Edit- and also what I’m saying is why have a portable 4-core laptop when you can have a less portable 6 or 8-core laptop and an iPad Pro? Bing bong so simple

:chaostrump:

Ugh, I'm in the exact situation. New job is paying €1,500 towards a new laptop so I just have to pay the difference which makes the 16 extremely compelling but a tricked out 4-port 13 (32 GB, 1 TB) sounds good too. I currently get by on 256 GB so I'm curious if I'll even need the 1 TB. It's €2,560 for the 32 GB/512 GB version, and €2,800 for the 32 GB/1 TB.

The 16 with 32GB/512GB is €3,120 but has a 9th gen processor at 6 cores, while the new 13 has the 10th gen but only 4 cores.

Would any of this even matter? I might maybe take up Final Cut Pro because I wanna learn it so I'm wondering if I might get by on a 16 GB machine or if I should future proof it with 32 GB.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zwille posted:

Ugh, I'm in the exact situation. New job is paying €1,500 towards a new laptop so I just have to pay the difference which makes the 16 extremely compelling but a tricked out 4-port 13 (32 GB, 1 TB) sounds good too. I currently get by on 256 GB so I'm curious if I'll even need the 1 TB. It's €2,560 for the 32 GB/512 GB version, and €2,800 for the 32 GB/1 TB.

The 16 with 32GB/512GB is €3,120 but has a 9th gen processor at 6 cores, while the new 13 has the 10th gen but only 4 cores.

Would any of this even matter? I might maybe take up Final Cut Pro because I wanna learn it so I'm wondering if I might get by on a 16 GB machine or if I should future proof it with 32 GB.

I have been wrestling with a similar choice and I think I am approaching locking in on the 13 because it plays nicer with eGPU from what I understand, if I ever go that route.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah I‘ll probably just go gently caress it and go for 32GB/1TB because my old-rear end 2013 MBP with 8GB and 256 GB was a middle of the field machine back then and it held up great, probably because I went for more than I thought I‘d need.

It‘s good I don‘t have time to fret/think about the ARM computers coming :v:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

CaptainPsyko posted:

I have been wrestling with a similar choice and I think I am approaching locking in on the 13 because it plays nicer with eGPU from what I understand, if I ever go that route.

The main complication here is that macOS can handle an arbitrary number of connected GPUs at the OS level, while Windows has issues trying to allocate resources to more than two (e.g. Intel integrated graphics + dedicated GPU). A machine with a dedicated GPU still works fine for eGPU stuff if you're not using Windows (much smoother on Mac, actually - almost plug-and-play for most purposes).

With that said, keep in mind that if you're looking at a "someday, maybe", future ARM Macs definitely won't have Boot Camp (or at least not in any useful way for today's games), and we still don't know what the framework around eGPU stuff is going to be on ARM (or even it's even going to be all that necessary, given that it'll mean iPad Pro+ level GPU stuff just bundled with the chipsets by default).

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Roadie posted:

The main complication here is that macOS can handle an arbitrary number of connected GPUs at the OS level, while Windows has issues trying to allocate resources to more than two (e.g. Intel integrated graphics + dedicated GPU). A machine with a dedicated GPU still works fine for eGPU stuff if you're not using Windows (much smoother on Mac, actually - almost plug-and-play for most purposes).

With that said, keep in mind that if you're looking at a "someday, maybe", future ARM Macs definitely won't have Boot Camp (or at least not in any useful way for today's games), and we still don't know what the framework around eGPU stuff is going to be on ARM (or even it's even going to be all that necessary, given that it'll mean iPad Pro+ level GPU stuff just bundled with the chipsets by default).

I’m most keen to see what IGP performance will be like, and to know how far back driver support will extend for discrete GPUs on ARM. If I can throw a GCN Radeon of arbitrary vintage in that’d be helpful; if they’re restricting it to Polaris and up, that’ll be much more restrictive.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 1, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Apropos of nothing- y’all remember when Hideo Kojima personally asked Apple if he could use their products all over MGS4 (like all over, the music player interface is a fully licensed and replicated iPod and Otacon’s office is like 10 Mac Pros in the back of a C57) and Apple was like “ok, yeah sure. Sony exclusive game. He listens to his iPod while CQC’ing traumatized cyborg women. Ok, yeah. Looks good.”

Like I wonder if Steve Jobs ever knew about that/had an opinion. It seems like a very un-Apple game.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

loving with Sony by putting one of their flagship developer’s game chock full of Apple merchandise sounds like an extremely Jobs thing.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ok Comboomer posted:

Apropos of nothing- y’all remember when Hideo Kojima personally asked Apple if he could use their products all over MGS4 (like all over, the music player interface is a fully licensed and replicated iPod and Otacon’s office is like 10 Mac Pros in the back of a C57) and Apple was like “ok, yeah sure. Sony exclusive game. He listens to his iPod while CQC’ing traumatized cyborg women. Ok, yeah. Looks good.”

Like I wonder if Steve Jobs ever knew about that/had an opinion. It seems like a very un-Apple game.

Should have made a Mac port as a condition of approval

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Doesn't Apple stuff show up in a bunch of movies and TV shows? Kojima / Sony probably told them how long the cutscenes are.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Apple reportedly has a policy of letting people use their stuff in shows and movies but only if the bad guys never use them.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Fedule posted:

Apple reportedly has a policy of letting people use their stuff in shows and movies but only if the bad guys never use them.

Well yeah, bad guys don't make good decisions. :colbert:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fedule posted:

The product placement in House of Cards on Netflix makes a lot more sense now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

well why not posted:

Doesn't Apple stuff show up in a bunch of movies and TV shows? Kojima / Sony probably told them how long the cutscenes are.

Sony movies always had Sony products in them, including Sony PCs.

Do they still make PCs?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FCKGW posted:

Sony movies always had Sony products in them, including Sony PCs.

Do they still make PCs?

They sold/spun off their Vaio brand a few years ago.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Daniel Bryan posted:

Yeah, Best Buys are Apple Authorized Service Providers which means they can assist you with warranty and AppleCare services with your device. However, the only devices they can service in the store are iPhones. iPads, Apple Watch, AirPods, Macs, etc all have to be sent out for any repairs or upgrades. The pricing is the same, however, and that's typically how Apple Stores do it too.

I went there today and they basically said they don't send MBP's to Apple, they send them to their own service center and they don't use OEM batteries to replace them. So I just called Apple and they're sending me a box to mail my machine in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

One of the best Thunderbolt 3 docks, the CalDigit TS3 Plus, is on sale for $225 until July 10 through CalDigit's site. Free shipping and no sales tax for non-CA residents.