Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

05-06 was also the peak of penalties being called for light stick contact and we all know how slash-happy the Cros is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
:rip: methot mans finger

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Revisiting NHL.com's 2006 redraft from 2016, it's really funny to see all-star Leo Komarov one spot above Michael Grabner.

quote:

This season, Komarov scored a career-high 19 goals and played in the 2016 NHL All-Star Game. He's also a physical presence; Komarov's NHL career average of 4.1 hits per game is second in the League among players since 2012-13 with at least 150 games played (Matt Martin, New York Islanders, 4.7).

At the ten-year mark, Grabner's career high in goals (34) was higher than Komarov's career total (31).

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-analysts-redo-2006-nhl-draft/c-280992506

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

lol wings

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Have they cancelled this stupid bullshit yet? If not, I'm just here to say that Roman Polak's untimely death is both tragic and fanfuckingtastic.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Aphrodite posted:

This part is good, you idiots. Those guys wouldn't have known they were asymptomatic carriers otherwise and spread it.

it is too bad no other tests are taking place elsewhere

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Correct, not if you're asymptomatic (which basically every pro athlete who has had the virus thus far has been) in North America.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Some top picks are franchise players and generational (or near it) picks from the beginning.
Others have elite talent but aren't ready to step into the NHL.

Hughes has a ton of talent but it's surely obvious he wasn't ready to be able to use all of it at the NHL level. Quinn Hughes was at least playing college hockey before the draft and another year of college hockey after the draft. Even though he's not a big guy he obviously had more time and preparation to deal with the transition to the NHL.

While I'm at it, Kaapo Kakko also obviously has a ton of talent and succeeded in a mens league but also was obviously not ready both physically and mentally for the NHL level. It's still just a huge jump and he clearly struggled with the NHL style of play that's more aggressive and less time than the Finnish league. Not something he can't overcome with more targeted training and adjustment and at times it seemed to click for him, but he's a talented player who wasn't really ready for the jump to the NHL.

at any rate I still can't really see how this whole playoff thing is going to work and it seems insane they're trying

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Levitate posted:

Hughes has a ton of talent but it's surely obvious he wasn't ready to be able to use all of it at the NHL level. Quinn Hughes was at least playing college hockey before the draft and another year of college hockey after the draft. Even though he's not a big guy he obviously had more time and preparation to deal with the transition to the NHL.

The original family plan was to have Quinn and Jack play a year together at Michigan. Quinn stayed an extra year because he was supposed to play with his brother, but Jack was too young to get admitted into the school.

If Jack plays a year at Michigan with his brother, he would have been better prepared for the NHL, and possibly a national champion.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Seems like knowing the admission requirements should have been something they figured out beforehand

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Zodijackylite posted:

Revisiting NHL.com's 2006 redraft from 2016, it's really funny to see all-star Leo Komarov one spot above Michael Grabner.

At the ten-year mark, Grabner's career high in goals (34) was higher than Komarov's career total (31).

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-analysts-redo-2006-nhl-draft/c-280992506

I skipped over where you said "from 2016" because I was about to question why Marchand was below Jordan Staal and Lucic.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/seangentille/status/1277922703652065282?s=19

gently caress yes :radcat:

E: ahahaha

https://twitter.com/AndrewCassNH/status/1277926802367885314

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 30, 2020

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

https://twitter.com/jamieloftusHELP/status/1277789911173615616

fuckin' hunter

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/ericengels/status/1277989817733787648?s=21

Sounds like the majority of players don’t want to play this summer but nobody is going to opt out because money

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Please do not forget that hockey players (and all pro athletes) are rich and therefore the enemy.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Athletes are (well paid, relative to other professions) workers. They are rich, not wealthy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not saying they're first in line, but they're on that wall too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/ericengels/status/1277989817733787648?s=21

Sounds like the majority of players don’t want to play this summer but nobody is going to opt out because money

As someone also going back to work in a week despite cases going back up, this is most of America now. No one wanted to re open this quickly except those in power and the brain washed.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
cancel hockey, bettman. you've got lots of practice doing this do it you coward

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Aphrodite posted:

I'm not saying they're first in line, but they're on that wall too.

Nah, just tax the gently caress out of them and the rest of the rich. They're probably poo poo heads and part of the problem but they aren't, afaik, causing the problems; largely just a product of capitalism.

The owners? :guillotine:

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
3 or 4 MLB players have bailed on this silly season... I wonder how many NHL players wi... ahahahahaha

Play through that lung damage boys, you gotta want it more.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

McDavid is gonna get covid and then grow a third lung.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

McDavid is gonna get covid and then grow a third lung.

And we're going to get another loving documentary.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/status/1278040518090354688

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

i'm gonna laugh so hard if this whole thing falls apart because the players want their july 1 bonuses and the owners refuse

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Coach... Just got off the vent... I'm ready to go.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1278074505328496641

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

"Hey, tomorrow's July 1st. I can't wait to watch Free Agent Frenzy and see who my dumb team lands (nervous chuckle)! We've already got Grigorenko. Maybe Jarmo will pull a Jarmo Special (rocks back and forth, nervous chuckle) :shepicide:"

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

cancel

the

season

already

(and award the first overall pick to montreal)

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
It is a little disappointing that after sweeping Montreal, the Red Wings won't be going to the draft in Montreal and drafting a generational French Canadian superstar.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

yellowcar posted:

cancel

the

season

already

(and award the first overall pick to montreal)

:hmmyes:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The NHL just needs to come back in Edmonton or Toronto, bring in the players and the families, and get all these players somewhere safe - out of the United States.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Does New Zealand have any rinks

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Yes actually, we have four or five proper ice rinks in the country. A whole bunch more if you count inline/roller hockey. How does the NHL feel about playing in beer league level facilities?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Yes actually, we have four or five proper ice rinks in the country. A whole bunch more if you count inline/roller hockey. How does the NHL feel about playing in beer league level facilities?

The Islanders should feel right at home

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The NHL putting all the games in Canada means they might actually make this work versus in plague nation.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Holy poo poo the players are getting turbo hosed.

https://www.tsn.ca/raising-questions-about-the-nhl-s-ongoing-cba-negotiation-1.1490842

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah the 50/50 revenue split thing was always bullshit nonsense but the owners trying to enforce it via escrow in times like this is crazy, as Bob notes.

The issue, if there is one, is that challenging the owners’ need for player salaries to not exceed 50% of league revenue is basically challenging the salary cap period. The owners likely know that budging would open the door to admitting they’ve got plenty of cash no matter how much player salary is.

I don’t understand why the NHLPA doesn’t just strike (if they can, I guess). Nobody really wants to play the season anyway and it’s the only way they’ll ever get substantial change.

Also how is it possible that there weren’t provisions for season disruption built into the CBA. Unless this is actually it :lol:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I thought the NHLPA took a vote earlier on returning and it passed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

The poor billionaires!

... and Melnyk.