Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

uPen posted:

Children of a Dead Earth is $2.50 on steam atm.

On one hand with a materials mod you can make ships out of chocolate.

On the other hand you still sort of need a double degree in nuclear and aerospace engineering to get the most out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

On one hand with a materials mod you can make ships out of chocolate.

On the other hand you still sort of need a double degree in nuclear and aerospace engineering to get the most out of it.

Smash things together until it works.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I don’t think it matters how much chocolate you smash together you’re never going to get a functional spaceship.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Pharnakes posted:

I don’t think it matters how much chocolate you smash together you’re never going to get a functional spaceship.

But you will get a delicious one!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

quote:

uote:
Germany 3rd Army (also OKH): Alchenar
Germany 4th Army: gradenko_2000
Germany 8th Army: Hypnobeard
Germany 10th Army: pedro0930
Germany 14th Army: HannibalBarca
Polish Northern (also Rydz-Smigly):
Polish Southern: BBJoey

Variants:

Early Rain:
Stalin Breaks Promise: x
Western Troops: x
Western Offensive:
Better Polish Equipment:
Better Polish Strategy:

Free Setup: x
Equalise:
+10 Days:

Still need a Polish North player.

I'm also voting for Stalin Break's Promise. The Western Troops aren't enough to pose a real threat and they're away from the main objectives, they really just force the Germans to divert some infantry to keep them penned in. Ambivalent on whether or not we need to equalise (that's not actually 'equalise', it adds 2 turns for every variant as a balancing factor).

e: once we're agreed I'll set up a discord room just for the game so people can chat strategy and spectators can watch.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jun 30, 2020

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I'm basically fine with whatever variants people would like, as I have no real sense of their impact.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

quote:

Alchenar posted:

Still need a Polish North player.

I'm also voting for Stalin Break's Promise. The Western Troops aren't enough to pose a real threat and they're away from the main objectives, they really just force the Germans to divert some infantry to keep them penned in. Ambivalent on whether or not we need to equalise (that's not actually 'equalise', it adds 2 turns for every variant as a balancing factor).

e: once we're agreed I'll set up a discord room just for the game so people can chat strategy and spectators can watch.

[quote]Germany 3rd Army (also OKH): Alchenar
Germany 4th Army: gradenko_2000
Germany 8th Army: Hypnobeard
Germany 10th Army: pedro0930
Germany 14th Army: HannibalBarca
Polish Northern (also Rydz-Smigly): Saros
Polish Southern: BBJoey

Variants:

Early Rain:
Stalin Breaks Promise: x
Western Troops: x
Western Offensive:
Better Polish Equipment:
Better Polish Strategy:

Free Setup: x
Equalise:
+10 Days:

I'll be Polish North. No opinions on variants as I have not really played with them.

https://discord.gg/nMRE2DJ

Shall we use my discord like last game? I have the roles, channel etc set up.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Saros posted:

I'll be Polish North. No opinions on variants as I have not really played with them.

https://discord.gg/nMRE2DJ

Shall we use my discord like last game? I have the roles, channel etc set up.

Sure.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Pharnakes posted:

If you smashed enough of it together and you built it in space so it didn't have to survive leaving the atmosphere you could maybe make a chocolate equivalent of a 40k Ork Rok and have it work out. :thunk:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Zaodai posted:

If you smashed enough of it together and you built it in space so it didn't have to survive leaving the atmosphere you could maybe make a chocolate equivalent of a 40k Ork Rok and have it work out. :thunk:
Wrap it in foil to reflect heat, and you've got a pretty good ferrero rocher theme going.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Even as someone with a decent grasp on the nuclear and rocketry aspects, I have no idea how to design lasers in CoaDE besides "drag sliders until number goes up".

Also, apparently there's some bug with the game where coilguns/railguns with multiple capacitors don't work right, which is annoying.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
Is there any reason not to get Strategic Command World at War over War in Europe? WaW seems like it has more stuff and maybe modded maps to bring euro focus back or am I totally wrong on that

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I....am probably in the minority, but I actually like the Europe+Africa focus of SCWiE over the whole shebang in SCWaW. My attention span is ruined by years of smoking weed, so the more narrow focus helped me. SCWiE's hex-scale is also a bit more detailed than WaW.

If neither of those are a concern, there's literally no benefit to SCWiE I can think of.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Not the Messiah posted:

Is there any reason not to get Strategic Command World at War over War in Europe? WaW seems like it has more stuff and maybe modded maps to bring euro focus back or am I totally wrong on that

Sometimes you don't really want to eat the WHOLE pizza.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

sgbyou posted:

Sometimes you don't really want to eat the WHOLE pizza.

i am not a coward.

Nah but these are valid points. I generally prefer Europe & North Africa as theatres compared to the Pacific but having it all in one sounds neat and I love the idea of controlling a single nation and despairing as my allies continually gently caress up. Really they should just add a western front map to the newer game to cater for my own specific taste

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The chinese part of the war is well done, get the whole pizza

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Command: Modern Operations is on a slight sale on Steam, yes or no grognard friends?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Dang, missed this. Let me know if you need another player or a replacement if someone drops. I've played DC:Barbarossa through a couple times and DC:Case Blue a little bit.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Command: Modern Operations is on a slight sale on Steam, yes or no grognard friends?

Like many grog games, it's the best at what it does. In this instance you can see that it's a direct descendent of Harpoon and an improvement on that classic in every way.

Class Warcraft posted:

Dang, missed this. Let me know if you need another player or a replacement if someone drops. I've played DC:Barbarossa through a couple times and DC:Case Blue a little bit.

What I do is drum up attention for a Case White scenario, then we play it and move on to Case Yellow. We haven't yet managed to have the Germans lose Case Yellow.

McGlu
Apr 10, 2013

John Tiller's entire selection is 25% off starting now. I picked up the Kharkov '42 and '43 PzC games. :ussr:

EDIT: Anything released longer than 12 months

McGlu fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 1, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm broke but I'm proooooobably gonna get russia '14 or whatever it's called

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Yes. Apart from a tonne of regular content, there’s a strong showing from the community and a varied set of scenarios. It’s _sim_ level stuff, but it’s much better supported than it used to be.

P Gatcomb is producing some of the best tutorials at the moment, btw. The included tutorials are good, but his videos explore the game very fluidly.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

I'm broke but I'm proooooobably gonna get russia '14 or whatever it's called

I think you mean Serbia '14. That's one of the games not on sale.
Just a note for those who might be interested, if you buy more than $200 worth of games you get an additional 20% discount on top of the sale.

To get the bulk order discount you need to enter the code 'BulkOrders', no apostrophes, at the checkout.

Hippocrass fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 1, 2020

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Hav posted:

P Gatcomb is producing some of the best tutorials at the moment, btw. The included tutorials are good, but his videos explore the game very fluidly.

Extreme loving emphasis on this, his video tutorials are incredibly helpful.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hippocrass posted:

Just a note for those who might be interested, if you buy more than $200 worth of games you get an additional 20% discount on top of the sale.

To get the bulk order discount you need to enter the code 'BulkOrders', no apostrophes, at the checkout.

that previous thread title about how my wallet can't take it

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Hippocrass posted:

I think you mean Serbia '14. That's one of the games not on sale.

Nope! I meant East Prussia '14. It has a bunch of the German part of the Russian front it seems.

McGlu
Apr 10, 2013

Best line from JTS Kharkov ‘42 Getting Started manual...

quote:

After viewing the hexes you can move to with the Reachable Hexes button, it is wise to press the button again to turn off this feature before you start to move, as it will improve game speed on your PC.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Are there any interesting Grog games focusing on the 1870-71 Franco-Prussian bruhaha?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mokotow posted:

Are there any interesting Grog games focusing on the 1870-71 Franco-Prussian bruhaha?

SPI's Franco-Prussian war. Good luck finding a copy

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Isn't one of the campaigns from Pike & Shot the Franco-Prussian War?

EDIT: Nope, this was a mod -- that war is waaay after P&S' main period. Sorry bud.

But there is apparently a Franco-Prussian War DLC for Pride of Nations. I assure you, the "Sorry bud" still applies.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 1, 2020

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

One of the spiritual sequels to the Wargame series just went into playable early access.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1047210/Cold_War_Game/

Set in the 70's which is an interesting twist on the usual late 80's hardware we normally see.

I have a backlog and already splurged on Steam sale stuff so I'm not picking it up for now, but definitely looks like it's worth watching.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
They really should have called it untitled cold war game.

E: I really can't find very much info on it. The steam page is pretty bare, it doesn't say if it will be multiplayer (presumably isn't currently at least?) or really anything about their future plans at all. The game doesn't even seem to have a website, just a facebook page.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Deptfordx posted:

One of the spiritual sequels to the Wargame series just went into playable early access.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1047210/Cold_War_Game/

Set in the 70's which is an interesting twist on the usual late 80's hardware we normally see.

I have a backlog and already splurged on Steam sale stuff so I'm not picking it up for now, but definitely looks like it's worth watching.

That looks so absolutely identical to Wargame that I'm surprised they can get away with it.

fuf fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 2, 2020

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Ok I found a roadmap on their facebook at least.

Look pretty barebones for the moment then. Not really feeling £30 for this right now I don't think.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
There’s one thing I see that ALB didn’t have...

quote:

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“We are eager to realize in our full version of the game:
multiplayer
players rating
two campaigns for the USSR and NATO
additional game missions
new game units
aviation and radar
new theaters of war
destructible world
tactical nuclear weapons

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Squiggle posted:

Isn't one of the campaigns from Pike & Shot the Franco-Prussian War?

EDIT: Nope, this was a mod -- that war is waaay after P&S' main period. Sorry bud.

I mean, pikes went out of fashion at the end of the 17th century or so, so only 200 years earlier! :shobon:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
CWG feels like playing WGEE with RD's mechanics at 1/2 speed.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Is the AI any better than the absolute brain dead version from a few months ago?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Pharnakes posted:

Is the AI any better than the absolute brain dead version from a few months ago?

I haven't played enough to really tell but it wasn't smart from what i've seen. But then singleplayer is the least interesting part of wargame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

There’s one thing I see that ALB didn’t have...

They're under AA units, search for otomatic.