Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lid posted:

spot the "eating the pin" in that match

If Karl is debuting a new character, he's getting the pin, so, sorry Rocky!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I mean at least they aren't running Florida. Assume they are doing it at the Dojo and it's presumably all LA based talent. Or at least west coast. Yeah they shouldn't be running anything but seems like America has just given up on quarantine and all that.

Isn’t LA like the area with the second-largest amount of infections in the US currently, or at least towards the top of the list

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

extradite THIS! posted:

Isn’t LA like the area with the second-largest amount of infections in the US currently, or at least towards the top of the list

Honestly no idea. Feels like a city with almost no public transport, designed for driving, should br moderately okay at dealing with it but who even knows these days?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

extradite THIS! posted:

They filmed all of these shows weeks ago, so the current state of things doesn’t seem to matter much

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Cameo posted:

They filmed all of these shows weeks ago, so the current state of things doesn’t seem to matter much

Ah, that’s slightly better at least, thanks for the clarification!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Also worth adding that this Friday's New Japan Cup semi-final show will be free & live on NJPW World. So if you lurk this thread for some reason & are NJPW curious this is a great event to get in on. Obviously we don't know the card because there's shows tomorrow & Thursday to go through first.

But the free show is Friday 3rd July, 11am BST, 6am EST, 3am PST. So go to bed early on Thursday night, call into work sick & watch some pro graps.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

forkboy84 posted:

Honestly no idea. Feels like a city with almost no public transport, designed for driving, should br moderately okay at dealing with it but who even knows these days?

We're actually getting hit harder than ever by it with upwards of 2,000 new cases a day. The mayor and governor took a hard stance at the beginning of the pandemic but then quickly rolled things back. They wanted to get everything up and running again by July 4th. But after loosening restrictions poo poo is worse than ever here and they've had to admit defeat.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Henare debuted new gear and a theme after his graduation and was still eating pins

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

Henare debuted new gear and a theme after his graduation and was still eating pins

Henare didn't graduate from Young Lion to proper roster member quite as quickly as Karl.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
And to be completely frank here, while I like Henare a whole lot, Fredericks pretty clearly has a lot more potential so they'll most likely give him a bigger push.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Henare didn't graduate from Young Lion to proper roster member quite as quickly as Karl.

henare was injured for awhile as a young lion

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
folks there is more njpw tonight :woop:

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Just to clarify: They're not filming at the dojo they're filming at the studio/arena in Port Hueneme where Championship wrestling from hollywood shoots. It's an hour north of LA.

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 1, 2020

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Really they need to find a Dessert Island to shoot on so we can get an hour long dessert Island death match again. Have it be Hiromu vs say...Suzuki

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
New Japan Dessert Island

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

MJeff posted:

If Karl is debuting a new character, he's getting the pin, so, sorry Rocky!

Depends on if he gets new music, because every time someone gets new music they lose their first match with it (Broken Okada in the G1, Ibushi's remix at WK14, Okada's remix at WK13, Kenny's new theme at WK13, Hiromu's remix at road to, Love and Energy at WK11)

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

Hey there thread, so I'm a long time lurker who got back into wrestling after stopping back around 2002-3. I was brought back into the fold thanks mainly to AEW and now I've started getting into NJPW thanks to watching all the Omega/Okada matches and having a lot of fun. I saw some of y'all upthread talking about how G1 Climax 27 was good and started my watching there basically knowing nothing and after a couple weeks I'm about to start watching the finals. My question is if I want to keep on watching chronologically to continue all the stories I've started to follow what do I need to watch next? I'm still trying to pick up what the schedule is and how to watch.

AK-47 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 1, 2020

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

AK-47 posted:

Hey there thread, so I'm a long time lurker who got back into wrestling after stopping post Benoit incident. I was brought back into the fold thanks mainly to AEW and now I've started getting into NJPW thanks to watching all the Omega/Okada matches and having a lot of fun. I saw some of y'all upthread talking about how G1 Climax 27 was good and started my watching there basically knowing nothing and after a couple weeks I'm about to start watching the finals. My question is if I want to keep on watching chronologically to continue all the stories I've started to follow what do I need to watch next? I'm still trying to pick up what the schedule is and how to watch.

If you go to NJPW World and scroll down to Latest Series then click on More it'll show all the events in order so you can just search back to G1 27 and go from there. Note that the Road To shows are fun house shows but normally you can skip them although they'll sometimes have title matches in the main event. Luckily NJPW World breaks all shows down match by match so you can check the card and see if there's anything there that you think is worth watching.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

In 2017 specifically you probably want to see like... Destruction in Hiroshima, Destruction in Kobe, King of Pro Wrestling, Power Struggle, the World Tag League finals, the Road to Tokyo Dome shows, and then obviously Wrestle Kingdom 12 and New Year Dash

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Also for newcomers, it's worth knowing that New Japan's schedule is very different from American promotions. There's no weekly TV like Raw or Dynamite, rather the schedule is built around monthly tours that last around 2-3 weeks, leading up to a big blowoff show at the end or beginning of a month, depending on the time of year. The tour is made up of either a long-running tournament or a series of "Road To" shows meant to set up and tease the big-money matches.

The tournaments (New Japan Cup, Best of the Super Juniors, G1 Climax, and a couple of tag team tourneys) are must-see and the beating heart of New Japan. On lesser tours, it basically varies depending on night-to-night cards. The Road To shows can be fun low-stakes stuff, but not all of them are essential viewing. In addition, nearly every backstage promo and interview is on their YouTube channel with English subtitles, so it's actually super easy to keep up with storylines and feuds without having to watch every show.

Benne fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 1, 2020

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

all noobies need to watch laughter7 matches and shibata/ishii g1 2013 night 4 and sakuraba/nakamura thank you

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

On the plus side the minor skippable shows are good background noise/viewing if you have 2 monitors

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

AK-47 posted:

Hey there thread, so I'm a long time lurker who got back into wrestling after stopping back around 2002-3. I was brought back into the fold thanks mainly to AEW and now I've started getting into NJPW thanks to watching all the Omega/Okada matches and having a lot of fun. I saw some of y'all upthread talking about how G1 Climax 27 was good and started my watching there basically knowing nothing and after a couple weeks I'm about to start watching the finals. My question is if I want to keep on watching chronologically to continue all the stories I've started to follow what do I need to watch next? I'm still trying to pick up what the schedule is and how to watch.

So here's the general structure of NJPW's calendar, when they aren't forced to stop doing shows for 4 months:

January
Wrestle Kingdom - biggest show of the year, always on 1.4 (+1.5 this year)
New Year's Dash - essentially serves as the "raw after 'mania" equivalent
Fantasticamania - crossover tour with CMLL, usually fairly non-canon

February
New Beginning - first major tour after WK, usually leads with several small shows, more or less house shows, called "Road To New Beginning." Ends with 2-3 events that are considered the "main shows." For these you usually get 3-4 undercard matches (multi-man tags & young lion matches) that warm up the crowd for the important stuff in the back half of the card like title matches and "special singles matches" between guys in a particularly heated rivalry or gunning for a title at the next tour.
New Beginning USA - their attempt at running simultaneous tours in Japan and the US. These haven't been great so far.
Honor Rising - crossover tour with ROH, slightly more canon than Fantasticamania but may be done with now that NJPW and ROH's relationship has gotten kinda rocky.

March
NJPW Anniversary Event - pretty much exactly what you'd think it is. Mostly an exhibition show, main evented by a Champion vs Champion match, usually IWGP Heavyweight vs Jr. Heavyweight (though 2019's was IWGP vs NEVER)
New Japan Cup - NJPW's only single elimination tournament. Winner traditionally gets a shot at either the IWGP Heavyweight, IWGP Intercontinental, or NEVER Openweight title, though the last 2 have been weird and it's unclear if they'll keep that structure when things go back to normal.

April
Sakura Genesis (formerly Invasion Attack/G1 Supercard) - NJPW's third or fourth biggest show, depending how important they feel like King of Pro Wrestling should be that year. Main evented by the title shot earned by the NJC winner, usually has most of the other belts defended as well. A single show, unlike New Beginning.
Sengoku Lord & Wrestling Hinokuni - unrelated one-off shows that both tend to happen in April and headlined by the midcard titles or a non-title feud.

May
Wrestling Dontaku - like the New Beginning, this one is lead up to by a series of "Road To" shows and ends with 2-3 nights of "main" shows.
Best of the Super Juniors - the bulk of the back half of May is taken up by the Junior Heavyweight division's showcase tournament, which follows the same rules as the G1 (except the guardrails are removed from ringside). This is a loving blast of a tournament. NJPW's Junior division is always a tad thin, so they tend to bring in more outsiders for this one than for the G1. Winner gets a Jr. Heavyweight title shot at Dominion.

June
Best of the Super Junior Finals - exactly what it sounds like. Pretty much a "Dominion Night 0" because it's headlined by the tournament finals as well as has a few midcard title matches that might not make it onto Dominion proper.
Dominion - second biggest show of the year, most titles are defended, they tend to save pretty big matchups for this one (with a few WK rematches)
Kizuna Road - another small standalone show, typically functions as their last booking opportunity to switch around one or two midcard belts like the US or NEVER titles before the G1.

July/August
The Tomohiro Ishii Spotlight Festival, aka G1 Climax

September
Destruction - another non-tournament tour with multiple nights at the end, has had a rough last couple years as these have been some of the more lackluster events in the wake of the G1

October
King of Pro Wrestling - single night event, usually the final IWGP Heavyweight title defense of the year. If Gedo wants to alter the WK main event at this point, this is his chance to do so, but he hasn't in awhile.
Road To Power Struggle: Super Jr. Tag League - Junior Heavyweight tag tournament, was single elim until 2018. Finals take place at Power Struggle. Pretty fun, breezy, albeit unimportant tour. Worth watching but skippable if you're on a time crunch.

November
Power Struggle - typically headlined by either an IC title defense or a G1 Briefcase defense. Last big show until Wrestle Kingdom (aside from Tag League finals I guess)

December
World Tag League - the heavyweight version of the prior tournament, and the point where most people (myself included) take a few weeks break from New Japan. I'm told it's decent to have on in the background but the Heavyweight Tag division in NJPW is practically booked on autopilot most of the year and is not really worth getting invested in.

Keep in mind they like to add and remove shows year to year, these are just the ones that they're pretty consistent with lately. You may or may not see Fighting Spirit Unleashed, Strong Style Evolved, Royal Quest, G1 Special, Wrestle Dynasty, etc. on any given year's schedule. They'll also do a few generic "New Japan Road" shows here and there when they don't want to do any big tours in between already existing ones. Also this was all completely thrown out the window this year after March.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/ElDesperado5/status/1278241479123599360?s=19

"Strange. There's something on the official website that I usually only see at the bar"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

AK-47 posted:

Like others have said, NJPW World is not great. I mean gently caress, it's great it exists & I'm able to watch live New Japan in 66 minutes time from when I write this but it's not an easy website to use. The "easiest" way to find what to watch next chronologically is scroll down on the main page to Latest Series. Once there, go to page 13. That's the page where G1 27 is & from there you can see everything on the site chronologically. But don't watch everything or you'll go insane. Yes for a tournament, that's rad, but if it's just a Road To show then the odds are that it's a skippable house show.

So for example the first show after G1 finals is TAKA Taichi's Produce show. A totally light, fun, watchable show but it's also not actually a New Japan show so unless you really want to see Minoru Suzuki vs Yoshinobu Kanemaru & some K-Dojo guys like DInosaur Takuma, give it a miss. Next up is 2 Road to Destruction shows from Korakuen, they are both headlined by 10 man tag elimination matches, I always enjoy them, but YMMV. The next thing you should watch is Destruction in Fukushima, there's 3 title matches, then Destruction in Hiroshima has 4 title matches, then Destruction in Kobe & then you're onto King of Pro Wrestling 2017 which is one of the tent pole shows. And after that you have Lion's Gate Project 8, these are shows mostly full of Young Lions, older hands & some weird outsiders you'd not normally see in NJPW, I have a fondness for these shows because you can see the future now but if they are the definition of non-essential viewing.

Road to Power Struggle is next & this is all about the Junior Tag League. I'll just say that there's a very good match on the 23/10 show between BUSHI & Hiromu vs Dragon Lee & Titan, & another good one between Roppongi 3K & LIJ on 30/10. But do watch Power Struggle, it's got 4 title matches & 3 of them are near enough essential viewing. Especially the main event.

World Tag League is...I'll be honest with how tag team wrestling has been treated under Gedo it's the tour I skip & recharge my batteries to get excited for Wrestle Kingdom. Only a mad person would watch every show, signed, a mad person who definitely watched every show in 2018 & decided not to do that again. Just watch the last night & see who won the tournament & that'll almost certainly do. You might search Cagematch to see if any matches turn up that take your fancy but that's on you. The year closes with Road to Tokyo Dome & those shows are fun Korakuen house shows but do really build to the Dome so I'd say they are worth viewing. And then obviously watch Wrestle Kingdom 12 which was my first New Japan show! After that comes Dash which is probably the closest to an essential house show, watch it. Fantasticamania, I find these cards fun because they have a different vibe but expect half the roster to be lucha guys you don't necessarily know: 19/1/18 is a fun show, 21/1 has a cracking singles between Volador Jr & Barbaro Cavernario, & 22/1 has a singles match between Kojima & Rush which I don't remember but have a strong urge to watch.

Honestly though, for all that I've said, the best thing to do is go to cagematch.net, put New Japan in the search, go to the Events page, go to Page 6 & check the shows yourself to see if anything on there sounds good. If you care about spoilers don't click on the show name though, click on card because that just gives you the matchups, not the results.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I half-finished a webapp that lets you search and filter new Japan matches by snowflakes or wrestlers or dates and had links to the matches. Maybe I’ll finish it some day.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
World Tag League would be fine if they didn't make up a whole ton of worthless tag teams to create a 16 team tournament out of a division that normally has 2-3 teams in it cause it makes the tour just drag and drag with a ton of pointless matches. If it was a quick and snappy 8 team deal like Super Junior Tag League it would be fine.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
replace World Tag League with Stardom and just don't change anything

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

merge the tag divisions

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
when are they going to get to the grandmaster factory :cry:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Seams posted:

when are they going to get to the grandmaster factory :cry:

Probably Dominion? If not then on either July 20th, 25th, 27th, or 31st. I dunno

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Closing this till Night 6 of New Japan Cup is over. New Japan Cup thread here.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

New Japan tweeted #AskZSJ where they were going to do a Q&A with him using fan questions

Half the responses were asking him why he was silent regarding #SpeakingOut

The result:
https://twitter.com/jamesie_2015/status/1278336481552216072?s=20

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Miho Abe one upped Tam Nakano sending Taichi a Victory Bento by sending him victory panties

https://twitter.com/taichi0319/status/1278258633340366849

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i hope both tam and miho understand the gravity of the situation and are willing to combine efforts today to give him the strength necessary to beat sanada

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
:chast2b:

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Power Windows fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 3, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I've been enjoying the openweight New Japan Cup so much it's making me want an annual openweight series in the style of BOSJ / G1, with the prize being a shot at the NEVER Openweight belt. The mismatches and unexpected results in the NJ cup have been a delight.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

G1 is probably going to have some Junior's in it given travel restrictions so lets hope they stick Sho in the same block with Ishii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

jesus WEP posted:

merge the tag divisions

wow look at this weirdo wanting a single block 24 team round robin tournament