Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

bawfuls posted:

We should start a pool for what date the last game of the season is played.

July 31st.

Some lucky hitter's going to end the season batting .500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The field is “2019”

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Slimy Hog posted:

When people talk about Dunedin all I can think of is the Dúnedain from LOTR

gently caress I thought I was the only person.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Slimy Hog posted:

Ian Desmond this time.

Oh drat what a loss, how will the Rockies cope without a dude that last had a positive WAR season in 2016.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Ian Desmond has always been a rad dude, and from what I gather was de facto team captain while he was with the Nationals. I have an autographed poster of him probably striking out I really need to find a place to hang up. I always liked the idea of a power-hitting shortstop who took the Matt Stairs approach ("Swing hard in case you hit you it") and as frustrating as the April errors were, in retrospect they were kind of endearing in that basically the whole first month of the season was filled with tension and excitement. I really wish he was still on the team when

the astros cheated in the world series and still lost

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hmm gently caress the DH.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

thread needs a DH poll, rate 1-5

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

bees x1000 posted:

0 :colbert:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

But in all seriousness I'm not happy about the DH coming to the NL, but since it's inevitable I'm trying to view it as a good thing and about how it will help Alec Bohm find a place on the Phillies Major League roster.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Oh drat what a loss, how will the Rockies cope without a dude that last had a positive WAR season in 2016.
Don't worry they got Matt Kemp

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

bees x1000 posted:

Yes every team needs 5 DHs. One for each starting pitcher.

...I was making a joke but dammit I actually think that would put me back in favor of the DH in the NL.

the astros cheated in the world series and still lost

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bees x1000 posted:

Easiest 5 rating I've ever given out.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

bees x1000 posted:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1278014216520306691?s=21

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Paging pancakes

https://twitter.com/playbill/status/1278006790819643393?s=21

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1278038281297461248

lol

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I guess it depends if the team is considered the player's medical provider

HIPAA might actually apply, who knows

I'm sure it's just smoke to cover for the bullshit of having a season at all though

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Ugh I was so looking forward to seeing the local team play, but it's absolutely not worth it to make these guys risk themselves for dirt pay.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

When people talk about Dunedin all I can think of is the Dúnedain from LOTR

My old dumb 80's music loving head goes to Dunedin, New Zealand and a long gone music scene.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunedin_sound
I then momentarily think "I know New Zealand has gotten Covid under control, but that's a Hell of a long trip to play games."

Still firmly thinking there's no way in Hell any games are played this year though. New Zealand or otherwise.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Truly insane. Oh look this player isn't in the lineup or in the dugout or even at the stadium today. He was also not added to the 10-day nor 45-day IL. Welp, better not speculate as to what's going on!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Even if its mandated by HIPPA MLB will absolutely abuse that technicality to claim cases are lower than they really end up being.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

bees x1000 posted:

Ugh I was so looking forward to seeing the local team play, but it's absolutely not worth it to make these guys risk themselves for dirt pay.
I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that they can’t play without fans in the stands

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/1278055332221259783?s=21

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo Tork

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
How long do you have to play to keep the signing bonus? Not that anyone would but I assume you can’t just sign and then retire

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

How long do you have to play to keep the signing bonus? Not that anyone would but I assume you can’t just sign and then retire

Ask Kyler Murray I guess

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Guess that's why the local team emailed me about http://www.texascollegiateleague.com/ this morning
and also that they'd be selling tickets but gently caress that

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

All summer I thought Youtube TV was in a rights dispute with the owner of Fox Sports Southwest (who carries the Rangers games), but it turns out they came to an agreement back on March 5 to keep carrying it, but the new agreement specifically cut Midland/Odessa from the area where it would be carried going forward. What in the gently caress? They pull this poo poo and they're bumping the subscription by $15/month?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It only took the streamers three years to become as lovely and expensive as cable, quite impressive. I’M BIG MAD ABOUT TEEVEE!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

'He really needs help': Family seeks help for Dodgers outfielder Andrew Toles, who is homeless and hospitalized

Bob Nightengale posted:

It was a disturbing picture, a police mug shot, spattered across the internet last weekend, revealing a troubled man with a vacant, soulless look.

He looked disheveled, with hair that looked like it hadn’t been combed in weeks, if not months. His thick beard was scraggly, covering most of his face, flowing right into his hair.

The article accompanying the picture was a homeless man found asleep behind the Federal Express building located at the Key West International Airport in Florida. He had only a black book bag in his possession. The police report listed his address simply as “the streets of Key West.’’

The name of the arrested man: Andrew Toles.

Yes, the same man who just two years ago was the popular starting outfielder for the Los Angeles Dodgers.

“When the news came out, the response from the public was very different from the response from my family,’’ Morgan Toles, Andrew’s sister, told USA TODAY Sports. “When people saw my brother’s mug shot, it was like, 'Oh, my God! He’s been arrested.’

“You know what my family felt? Relief.

“It’s really crazy to say, but the mug shot, really, was the best thing ever.

“We didn’t know whether he was dead or alive.’’

Morgan Toles, an assistant women’s basketball coach at Kent State, paused, her voice cracking, trying to gather her thoughts on describing the utter helpless feeling her entire family has been enduring the past 1 ½ years.

Andrew Toles has been in at least 20 mental health facilities since 2019, his sister says, but he never stays long enough to get the help he needs. He usually stays a week, and then vanishes, moving onto the next city.

The family was hoping with the latest arrest he would be kept in jail, perhaps as long as six weeks, providing enough time to get help. The family seeks legal guardianship, but are powerless to obtain it without his consent. Instead, an anonymous person posted the $500 bail, believing they were helping, but let him loose on the streets again.

“This has been going on for the last year and a half,’’ Morgan said, “it’s just that this is the first time it has become public.’’

Just two weeks ago, a similar incident occurred in Kentucky. Toles even spent a month in prison in Hong Kong during the holidays. He was wandering the streets after losing his passport, and was arrested for stealing food at a gas station. He was released after Morgan Toles obtained help from the U.S. Embassy. Yet, when he returned to states, he disappeared again.

“The last time I saw my brother, I don’t even know,’’ Morgan says. “I haven’t heard his voice in, Lord knows how long. The only difference in my brother and the homeless walking the streets in LA is that he made money. That’s it. We want to help him so badly. We are doing everything we can.

“But the loved ones are the ones he runs from.

“How do you help somebody that doesn’t want to be helped?"

In the case of Alvin Andrew Toles, the real question is:

How do you help someone who doesn’t realize they need help?

“You cry every day, you pray every day,’’ says Alvin Toles, Andrew’s father, a former linebacker for the New Orleans Saints. “It’s a relief that you know he’s alive. And now there’s no need to hide anything. Everyone now knows he has a mental illness.

“Maybe this is how God meant for this to end. Now people know. People are reaching out and asking how to help.

“We just need to find him. We need to bring him home. But he keeps running. He’s in this state of paranoia. He’s running from people. He just keeps running like someone is after him.

“He really needs help before it’s too late.’’

Long piece from Bob on Toles, worth the read. I just copied the beginning here.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 30, 2020

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

quote:

Instead, an anonymous person posted the $500 bail, believing they were helping, but let him loose on the streets again.

My first thought when the story first broke was that we (baseball fans) could raise the bail instantly, but then I thought maybe he intentionally got arrested so he could spend a few nights indoors so I dunno if that would make the situation worse, and somehow it's almost worse than that?

Man, this story sucks so much :smith:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Absolutely heartbreaking. :smith:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

General Dog posted:

It only took the streamers three years to become as lovely and expensive as cable, quite impressive. I’M BIG MAD ABOUT TEEVEE!

still cheaper and better than big cable tbqh

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sounds like schizophrenia. I hope they can get him help.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

:siren: Trade Alert :siren:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1278095289866498048

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Who is the greatest “player to be named later” of all time?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

General Dog posted:

Who is the greatest “player to be named later” of all time?

Big Papi

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spoeank posted:

Big Papi

Is this true or is this a joke about him changing his name irl?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

General Dog posted:

Is this true or is this a joke about him changing his name irl?

I remember seeing it in some sort of random MLB Network or ESPN show. I think maybe trade deadline a couple years ago?

Anyway I found an article

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/best-players-to-be-named-later-in-mlb-history-c288046920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/thecutch22/status/1278107953401401353?s=21