Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguinone
Nov 28, 2007

obi_ant posted:

I was recently gifted a bottle of 2009 Lopez de Heredia Viña Tondonia Gran Reserva Rosado. The gift giver said that some of my other wine nerd friends will appreciate it. I was planning to save it and open it with them when this Coivd thing is over, but I don't have a cool place to store any wine and it's getting pretty hot where I live. So... I'm going to drink this fairly soon. Any suggestions on a food pairing with this wine in particular?

Yes, charcuterie all the way here! You could also do something along the lines of grilled mackerel.

Your friend gave you a very very nice gift.

You can find the rose in NYC but at ridiculous markups. The shop down the street from me has bottles at like $100 for the rose… I scored a single bottle of the rosado for like $50 and a bottle of the gran reserva red from one of the shops I regularly buy from by asking the GM directly, and the allocations never even made it to their regular mailing lists. Unfortunately Lopez De Heredia is getting harder and harder to get now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Louis Michel chablis is amazing and I regret it's taken me this long to discover this

Crimson posted:

Also as someone who has taken the MS a few times (unfortunately) and have plans to sit next year, I'm very much watching how this all plays out. I think the leadership at the CMS has failed to acknowledge for a long time that their current structure seems to produce a bunch of straight white men as master sommeliers. Trying to pretend there is no bias in your hierarchy doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I trust that if Richard Betts is that disgusted with more insider knowledge than I have access to that there really are many problems with the internal workings of the court. I also very much agree with him that their handling of the cheating scandal was a catastrophe.
Is it true that you have to be friends with them in order to be even considered for the exam? Not just professional acquaintances but actually chummy?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Got my first kegerator set up, but doing the pressure/leak test it looks like all the gas goes straight out the sides of the lids in my brand new kegs. What am I doing wrong?

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

got off on a technicality posted:

Is it true that you have to be friends with them in order to be even considered for the exam? Not just professional acquaintances but actually chummy?

Eh I wouldn't say that to be the case. It's tough, it's such a relatively small amount of people at the top that the advanced sommeliers going for the master exam typically know some or most of the masters anyway. They are actually supposed to switch off from proctoring you if they know you too well, which I've had at least one master somm have to do because we're too good of friends.

Since it is pretty much impossible to remove bias with the way the testing is done, it's hard to imagine that personal subjectivity doesn't come into play when they like a candidate. But that being said, several masters have practically pleaded with me to crush it so they can pass me, because they feel I'd make a good ambassador and such for the org. If they're not just blowing smoke up my rear end, I don't think being friends with them gets you the pass. You still have to show up. But hey, if they really like you, maybe they find that extra point on the tasting if you're half a point from passing, I don't know. In my experience, there are assholes who don't pass, and blame their not passing on it being an Old Boys Club. I happen to think they just didn't score enough points to pass, but what do I know?

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

thotsky posted:

Got my first kegerator set up, but doing the pressure/leak test it looks like all the gas goes straight out the sides of the lids in my brand new kegs. What am I doing wrong?

Corny kegs? You have the o-rings installed?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

CleverHans posted:

Corny kegs? You have the o-rings installed?

Ah, wrong thread I see now :P

Sorry, I got it fixed (I thought 20 would be plenty, but I needed to apply like 35 PSI for the o-rings to actually pop into place).

In actual wine posting: I tried Marc Delienne Abbaye Road, a Fleurie, yesterday and it was great. All of the 2018s are hot, and at 14% this does detract somewhat from the drinkable and delicate appeal of Fleurie, but this still had those perfume and lipstick aromas, plenty of violets, cherries, and licorice, with a surprising but well balanced tannin quality to this particular bottle. The was a tiny hint of something earthy or dirty in the background, but not really barnyard. All in all quite sexy smelling. Acidity was present, and with the extra abv you don't have to pair this with chicken salad or anything. Purple in color.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 24, 2020

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
After I researched the Glasvin wine glasses I'm getting relentless facebook and insta ads for them. It's kinda working on me I think I'm just gonna get them. Just the set of 2. Would be a big upgrade.

Penguinone
Nov 28, 2007

Anyone know of any other good internet communities for wine? Future on this forum seems… iffy.

Once coronavirus blows over I’m hoping to find a good tasting group locally here in NYC too. I left the industry a couple years ago, and I’m really missing the frequent tastings and discussions. Anyone have any good resources?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Penguinone posted:

Anyone know of any other good internet communities for wine? Future on this forum seems… iffy.

There are at least 2 others on here apart from me who are on wineberserkers. They require you to use your real name though

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Now that we can ethically winepost again, I'm gifting my girlfriend a Chilean Carignan and will have her report back to me so I can report back to y'all

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Penguinone posted:

I'm on r/wine on reddit pretty often but it's not the best, posts really vary. Wine Beserkers I am an inactive member of. Beserkers seems a bit older and spendier, people posting a lot of high end wine.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Comb Your Beard posted:

I'm on r/wine on reddit pretty often but it's not the best, posts really vary. Wine Beserkers I am an inactive member of. Beserkers seems a bit older and spendier, people posting a lot of high end wine.

"A bit" is quite an understatement lol

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

"A bit" is quite an understatement lol

You're right it's very much that. I'm not sure they have an equivalent "general chat" thread do they?

Content: Had some humble 2012 St Emilion bdx, perfect what for is was. None of the negatives I would associate with Cab Sauv or Merlot. Age helps. Really want those nice glasses to come.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
For auswinegoons I spend a fair bit of time on the Winefront, the comments turn into forum threads and a lot of winemakers participate. Being behind a paywall makes it a good scene.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Are there any places that ship wine in a temperature controlled way? I’ve been ordering from wine.com, but this last shipment sat in a FedEx truck in hot weather all day, and now my thermometer is showing 81F, which makes me worry about damage to the couple of stupidly expensive bottles I lucked into a while ago being damaged. Wine.com just tossed a child’s lunch box-sized cold pack into the cardboard boxes for each case and called it good.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Loucks posted:

Are there any places that ship wine in a temperature controlled way? I’ve been ordering from wine.com, but this last shipment sat in a FedEx truck in hot weather all day, and now my thermometer is showing 81F, which makes me worry about damage to the couple of stupidly expensive bottles I lucked into a while ago being damaged. Wine.com just tossed a child’s lunch box-sized cold pack into the cardboard boxes for each case and called it good.

Benchmark Wine and its sister company Brentwood Auctions do use Fedex Cold Chain, which works pretty well. If you're west coast I've found Golden State Overnight to be fast and reliable - overnight will generally be fine regardless of the weather

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Bought a case of Nestarec Danger Volt 380

Lovely semi-sparkling natty-boy. The bottle variation is pretty apparent, I think the less carbonated ones fit the idea of the wine best, but the ones that go full pet nat are refreshing as well.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

thotsky posted:

Bought a case of Nestarec Danger Volt 380

Lovely semi-sparkling natty-boy. The bottle variation is pretty apparent, I think the less carbonated ones fit the idea of the wine best, but the ones that go full pet nat are refreshing as well.

Had one bottle of this. I like the style, but thought the flavor was a bit too flowery or tutti-frutti or something. I'd like to try "Bum Bum Cha" as well, have you seen it in the stores yet?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Ola posted:

Had one bottle of this. I like the style, but thought the flavor was a bit too flowery or tutti-frutti or something. I'd like to try "Bum Bum Cha" as well, have you seen it in the stores yet?

I see what you mean with the tutti frutti, the wine is borderline mixed ferm saison tasting. I would also say the 2016—2017 vintages, which I belive is when I fell in love with the wine, were less sweet and had a firmer structure with more acid.

No eyes on the wine you mentioned. I will ask some people I know.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

thotsky posted:

No eyes on the wine you mentioned. I will ask some people I know.

I think it's in wine bars in Oslo. And on Instagram of course https://www.instagram.com/nebbiolowines/

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Ola posted:

I think it's in wine bars in Oslo. And on Instagram of course https://www.instagram.com/nebbiolowines/

I was at a tasting with Nebbiolo a week or two ago and the dude from there was not pushing it then; apparently it's not coming to polet. The wine bars that stock these wines here have been going heavy in on Nestarec the last couple of years so they probably have some. Esaias has a soft opening today after getting new owners, and I really wanna go, but all my friends are busy.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 17, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

I like my Riedel Vinum Burgundy I got on a sale. Full price is just a bit too expensive. I used to think they were quite delicate, but after handling some very fine Zaltos at a tasting or something, it feels like a coffee mug. I use it for all sorts, today a Chapoutier Hermitage 2008, which is a new release he's been holding on to due to a bad year.

But it's not supposed to look like that is it. Thankfully returnable.

Even the importer said it was bad when I posted this on FB. Opened the replacement bottle today, had planned to post a pic of a much brighter colored wine captioned "that's more like it". However...

It's still very dark, if perhaps a few shades of brandy lighter than the bad one. Completely different taste though. Oxidized, but not prematurely. Maturely exposed to oxygen. This is on the far side of the hill, but doing good. It has a very fat and voluptuous texture. Acid is the achilles heel of white Rhône, this one has nice stony and citrusy acid but perhaps not quite bright enough to make the structure come together. Nose is the best, beautiful integrated wood, caramel, candied lemon peel, melon, both yellow and green apples.

The reason I could get 2008 Ermitage in a shop was, as mentioned, that this was a bad vintage which Monsieur Chapoutier has been holding back and I wasn't expecting the world anyway. Probably the best PR solution for them, I want to try some top ones now.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Drinking Chapoutier is its own punishment. I had the 1991 Chapoutier La Mordoree once and it showed like a recent Paso Robles syrah. Never again.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Drinking Chapoutier is its own punishment. I had the 1991 Chapoutier La Mordoree once and it showed like a recent Paso Robles syrah. Never again.

Haha the 2008 Côte Rôtie is also available, at twice the price. I don't have quite your skepticism but perhaps I should save my money nonetheless.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

obi_ant posted:

I was recently gifted a bottle of 2009 Lopez de Heredia Viña Tondonia Gran Reserva Rosado. The gift giver said that some of my other wine nerd friends will appreciate it. I was planning to save it and open it with them when this Coivd thing is over, but I don't have a cool place to store any wine and it's getting pretty hot where I live. So... I'm going to drink this fairly soon. Any suggestions on a food pairing with this wine in particular?

No specific advice, just: you're lucky, and that's going to be a phenomenal bottle of wine. Assuming you haven't had it yet, I second the recommendations for jamon. Stick with simple things so that the wine is the star of the show.

The Rosado is the only Tondonia Gran Reserva I have yet to get my hands on...

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ola posted:

Haha the 2008 Côte Rôtie is also available, at twice the price. I don't have quite your skepticism but perhaps I should save my money nonetheless.

Well you can get Jamet or Benetiere Cordeloux for the same-ish price no? That should beat the crap out of Chapoutier

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Hell, even Guigal ampuis I'd take over the Chapoutier

e: also Xavier Gerard, both the regular and the Landonne

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 25, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Well you can get Jamet or Benetiere Cordeloux for the same-ish price no? That should beat the crap out of Chapoutier

Not an aged one at least.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Drinking the Bom Bom Cha now Ola. It has more in common with the Forks and Knives red than the Danger Volt 380 wine imo. Tastes like that special summer juice that came out this year with strawberries and rhubarb, but with an added green herbiness. It's weird, but good.

Picture in the discord.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

thotsky posted:

Drinking the Bom Bom Cha now Ola. It has more in common with the Forks and Knives red than the Danger Volt 380 wine imo. Tastes like that special summer juice that came out this year with strawberries and rhubarb, but with an added green herbiness. It's weird, but good.

Picture in the discord.

Thanks! Yes, that sounds exactly like I hoped it would be. Will see if I can track it down, still not in the stores.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Not coming to stores, last I heard.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

thotsky posted:

Not coming to stores, last I heard.

Yeah, I thought that might be the case. Hopefully I'll come across it somewhere, not worth a long detour I think.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Ola posted:

Yeah, I thought that might be the case. Hopefully I'll come across it somewhere, not worth a long detour I think.

If there's a spot near you who is into Nestarec they likely got some. The hype is real in wine bars here in Oslo, but prices have not gone up much it seems. It is 135 for a glass where I am at, which is pretty decent for anything with a name behind it, even a pet nat.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

A relative living in Houston has told me about tempranillo being produced in Texas, and now I am intrigued. She's not really into wine, so I have no clue what's good over there.

Do you guys have any recs I can ask her to get for me?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Lol, went to the most amazing tasting. Basically the after party of a HORECA tasting, paying a pittance to drink the leftovers. I had like 15 glasses, poured by the importers, and some of those bottles were pretty high end stuff too. A really nice evening, I love talking wine with those people.

LOLbertsons
Apr 8, 2009

anakha posted:

A relative living in Houston has told me about tempranillo being produced in Texas, and now I am intrigued. She's not really into wine, so I have no clue what's good over there.

Do you guys have any recs I can ask her to get for me?

High Plains stuff should be the ticket. You get phenolic ripeness and a decent amount of acidity to balance, hopefully.

I just had a bottle of this the other night and was pleasantly surprised:

https://www.vinovium.wine/collections/bottles/products/2016-texas-high-plains-sketch?variant=31851109875758

Regan Meador has started making wines from only Texas fruit. These are good to check out as well. Definitely on the more non-intervention side.

https://southoldfarmandcellar.com/collections/new-releases

I've actually had a few High Plains Chenin Blancs that have really changed my mind about what's possible for TX whites. No acidulation or anything- just vineyards being harvested in decent respect for the acid before the grapes get blahhhh.

There are some winemakers playing with Blanc du Bois and Black Spanish. If you like that strange, here's the place.
https://www.lacruzdecomalwines.com/wine/what-we-make

Just say no to Messina Hof and Duchman.

LOLbertsons fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 24, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Attended two very fun tastings this weekend. First one was a champagne tasting focused on "natural", which turned out to be way more interesting than I thought. Guy who held it talked a lot of sense about biodynamic being good mostly because the industrial practices are so bad and that the far end of natural contained a lot of bullshit. Mousyness? "I don't know why anyone tolerates it. It has nothing to do with terroir or grapes. It comes from starting malolactic fermentation before alcoholic is finished." The state of some vineyard in the region was talked about, some littered with plastic garbage because of the cheap fertilizer they use.

Guess which one is biodynamic:

Wines were from Marguet, Leclerc-Briant and Vouette et Sorbee. Ended up ordering two from Marguet, the Shaman which had amazing red apple and Les Crayeres which is 100% PN and the first time I've got crystal clear rose petals in a champagne.

Other testing was a half blind one with various challenges. First was a 50/50, champagne or Nyetimber. I went looking for yellow apple which I've tasted in Nyetimber before, but didn't find it. Picked the one which had apples, got it wrong. Both same price and equally good IMHO, but after the tasting the day before I wouldn't buy either one!

Then four flights where we were to put 3 wines in the right order. I got all wrong on 1 flight with two Nebbiolos vs a Tuscan, got hung up on rose petals in the Tuscan which I thought made it Nebbiolo, even though the color gave it away easily. Talked to an Italy expert afterwards, he said he never gets the rose people talk about in Nebbiolo so I'll definitely keep that in mind for later.

But I got all correct on three flights with UK vs French vs Italian Chardonnay, Viognier vs Gewurz vs Muscat and Zin vs Shiraz vs Pinotage. It was all about recognizing one, then weighing the options on the remaining two.

Final flight was two blind reds, single grape, with three tasting notes to connect them to. Connected the notes right, guessed new world PN and new world Cab, answer was old world PN and new world Cab.

All in all really happy about that. Felt like I could reason with actual experience, and the differences between the wines were big enough that what little experience I have actually worked. I would have no chance on "guess the Burgundy vineyard" or anything like that. But people that don't know wines often mention some famous blind tasting experiments as proof that nobody can hit anything on blind tastings, even though that doesn't follow at all from the experiments themselves. You most certainly can, but because the world of wine is so big, people's experience so different and the ways to set up the experiment virtually endless, there's a lot of wiggle room.

I don't think I could do well in blind tastings in general, but I am convinced I could design experiments for amateurs that would give me the results I wanted. By selecting the wines and the conditions just right, you can make amateurs seem good or bad at guessing which one is red or white for instance. The wine university of Lyon, or whatever equivalent actually exists, would probably see my tricks but I bet most psychology institutes would not. And saying "wine is just emperor's new clothes" will probably get you published.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Ola posted:

Mousyness? "I don't know why anyone tolerates it. It has nothing to do with terroir or grapes. It comes from starting malolactic fermentation before alcoholic is finished."

I have read no science to support this, but even if this is sound wine making practice it would hardly be the end of the story. The THP production pathway for Lactic Acid Bacteria does not seem to rely on glucose and fructose, but does just fine with ethanol and it is not the only organism producing the stuff. Brettanomyces activity (which does have a THP production pathway using glucose and fructose) should not be discounted. There is a lot not yet known about mouse, but if one had to point to a single reductive cause for the prevalence of mouse in natural wine I would put my money on reduced sulfite usage. I also suspect mouse would be less of an issue if producers just sat on their bottles for another year, it does age out, most of the time.

I agree with his sentiment though. I send back anything with even a hint of it. Poorly named Norwegian wine importers aside, this seems to be an accepted stance. I wish I could say the same for VA, which I think people tolerate way too much of.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 26, 2020

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I know a lot of people talk about blinds as more of a parlor trick, but I like blind tastings because it’s a good way to stay fresh. While I do think a lot of identification is experience with different grapes, you could also puzzle it out even if you’ve never had an example from a region... if your theory is good enough 😅

I’ve hosted some non-wine friends through some education followed by blinds and they’re pretty good by the end of the night. Most of them get the typical tasting notes ‘right’ they just might not remember which grape goes with which flavors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

thotsky posted:

I agree with his sentiment though. I send back anything with even a hint of it. Poorly named Norwegian wine importers aside, this seems to be an accepted stance.

Speaking of, the guy holding the tasting was Geir, the owner of Autentico and Unico Real Wines.