Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn't this the idea for Gladiator 2? Maximum would be revived by the Roman gods as an immortal, and then he would live into the modern era to fight in every American war?

I was blown away when I found out that treatment was written by Nick Cave. And then I became pissed that it never got made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Phanatic posted:

I was blown away when I found out that treatment was written by Nick Cave. And then I became pissed that it never got made.

It's not a treatment, it's a full-blown script.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
And a very, very good one. Read it, fam.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

And a very, very good one. Read it, fam.

Yeah, it's batshit in all the right ways. As Cave told the story to me, Russell Crowe called him up and asked him to write it just for kicks, knowing the movie would never be made, and therefore told him not to hold back and make it as absurd as he wanted.

Nick called it one of the great accomplishments of his career.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
And Crowe and Ridley hate the script and threw Cave under the bus on different occasions.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

And Crowe and Ridley hate the script and threw Cave under the bus on different occasions.

This sucks. Why?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They both thought it was too weird and not nearly grounded enough. Crowe's tone in one interview was somewhat mocking, IIRC.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Seth Rogen and his production company have been hired by Nickelodeon to make a new CG-animated feature film of TMNT

https://www.ign.com/articles/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-seth-rogen-to-produce-cg-animated-movie-reboot

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm sure one thing that keeps people from just going ahead (:v:) with the Highlander remake is that they want to lay out the mythology so as not to stumble into a Highlander 2 clusterfuck.

... which is completely unnecessary, just "From the dawn of time" that poo poo and don't worry about the expanded universe.

Or just crib it all from the TV show. It hasn't aged particularly well in most regards, but it honestly did fine with that whole thing.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gladiator was far actually less grounded than the actual historical realities of gladiatorial combat. So a sequel going in the complete opposite direction would just even things out.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn't this the idea for Gladiator 2? Maximum would be revived by the Roman gods as an immortal, and then he would live into the modern era to fight in every American war?

Maximus tires of endless warfare and the military industrial complex

He attacks and dethrones Mars

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
And there's a heavy psych album adaptation of it, too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alan Smithee posted:

Maximus tires of endless warfare and the military industrial complex

He attacks and dethrones Mars
God of War 1 (PS2) had this cool possible sequel extras with ideas the studio had for spin-offs. One was Kratos's EVIL! brother coming back for devil revenge. The other was a squad of Seal Team 6 mofos discovering the corpse of Cronos and venturing into the temple to fight a bunch of mythological monsters.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FilthyImp posted:

God of War 1 (PS2) had this cool possible sequel extras with ideas the studio had for spin-offs. One was Kratos's EVIL! brother coming back for devil revenge. The other was a squad of Seal Team 6 mofos discovering the corpse of Cronos and venturing into the temple to fight a bunch of mythological monsters.

I still wish we got either of the God of War III versions that didn't happen where Krato teams up with like Baldur/etc. sort of Kratos-equivalent folks from each world mythology and they go on a planetary road trip destroying every pantheon together or the one where Kratos manipulates a few gods from each religion into fighting each other and in the ensuing chaos with them so distant from being physically around on earth Kratos convinces various important folks that the gods don't exist causing them to cease to exist because not enough people believe them and then it was going to end with Jesus being born and monotheism becoming more mainstream.

Either would have been way better than the God of War III we got.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Wasn't one of the sequel ideas Kratos goes and kill Jesus

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The idea was that the series would end on a shot of the Three Wise Men following the star to Bethlehem. My joke at the time was that the ending should START with that only for Kratos to come out of nowhere, brutally kill the Wise Men, look at the star, grimace and also start follow it blades drawn. Cut to black.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gatts posted:

This sucks. Why?

By that point Scott was done making good movies.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Kratos joins the disciples using the assumed name "Judas".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wasn't there a prophetic mural or something in one of the games that ends with the three wise men following a star?

It's actually canon and key to God of War No Subtitle that Kratos being completely outside the context of Norse myth means he ignores all the rules and prophecies and fucks everything up in ways that it's not meant to be hosed up.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't there a prophetic mural or something in one of the games that ends with the three wise men following a star?

Yes, one of the paintings of the future in the Temple of Fates in 2 was the three wise men.

I know it's mostly because of actual floated ideas that got cut but I kinda love that the running subtext that Kratos is the Old Testament God (by clearing the board of other gods and causing all the natural disasters that line up with the plagues) is never ever commented on. It's a subtle thread in God of War, of all series.

mycot fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 1, 2020

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

God of War 3 is one of the very few reinterpretations of Greek myth to treat the gods as essential and fundamental parts of the universe like they're supposed to be, and not just a team of X-Men who live on a mountain. It's also far more accurate to the themes of Greek mythology than people give it credit for, and being able to play as Apollo just makes it even more fitting in so many ways. It's honestly one of my favorite games ever for how soaked in Hellenism it is (figuratively and literally).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

does Helen of Troy squirt on you i never played it

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Giggling at the idea of Kratos bursting into the Bethlehem stable and supplexing baby Jesus

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

press

to nail jesus to the cross

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It can’t be any more bonkers than that Gladiator sequel treatment that Nick Cave wrote.

Yes, that Nick Cave.

Featuring Immortal Russell Crowe.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gonz posted:

It can’t be any more bonkers than that Gladiator sequel treatment that Nick Cave wrote.

Yes, that Nick Cave.

Featuring Immortal Russell Crowe.

Press up to see ppl already talking about this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Kratos ending for his appearance in Mortal Kombat 9 apparently has him genuinely surprised and a little weirded out that the gods of Mortal Kombat are relatively reasonable and treat him with respect.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

That's rad as hell. What a great idea for an album.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

does Helen of Troy squirt on you i never played it

you cuckhold your cousin by loving your sister

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Shageletic posted:

That reminds me, did you know Nick Cave wrote a script for Gladiator 2? Crazy right?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/pastemagazine/status/1278329186197831680?s=21

No Chappelle no Brennan

Some nobody rear end writer

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also weed being legal just about everywhere kind of dulls the point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jim Breuer is totally fried. I watched a bit of his appearance on Don Jr's podcast and it was absolutely embarrassing poo poo.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Speaking of movies you come up when you are half-baked...

Jason Momoa is Frosty the Snowman!

quote:

Warner Bros and Stampede Ventures have set up Frosty the Snowman, a live-action film that will see Aquaman star Jason Momoa voicing the iconic snowman.

Jon Berg and Greg Silverman of Stampede produce with Geoff Johns of Madghost, and Momoa. Berg and Silverman were Warner Bros senior execs who helped architect the DC franchise launch of Aquaman with James Wan at the helm.

David Berenbaum, who worked with Berg on Elf, is writing the script based on the venerable character that Momoa will embody as a CGI Frosty in the hybrid CG/live-action film.

“From his role as a fearsome count in a land of ice and fire to the oceanic success we all had with Aquaman, it felt only right to realize Jason this time out of snow,” Berg said.

Said Silverman: “We know Jason’s as a true human being filled with love, compassion and a deep connection to ohana — all of which is the living spirit of Xmas and Frosty.”

https://deadline.com/2020/07/jason-momoa-frosty-the-snowman-live-action-warner-bros-stampede-1202975009/

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

quote:

Said Silverman: “We know Jason’s as a true human being filled with love, compassion and a deep connection to ohana — all of which is the living spirit of Xmas and Frosty.”

And every day, I inch a little closer to believing lizard people are real.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

I sent this to a buddy of mine who’s a huge psych fan only to find out one of my best friend’s from High School used to play guitar for these guys. Small world lol

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

They already made a better sequel to Half Baked than this

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Shageletic posted:

Sorry. Was phonepostin’, didn’t see many of the previous posts.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

And every day, I inch a little closer to believing lizard people are real.

Everyday we inch closer to the death of God becoming more concrete.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Speaking of movies you come up when you are half-baked...

Jason Momoa is Frosty the Snowman!

https://deadline.com/2020/07/jason-momoa-frosty-the-snowman-live-action-warner-bros-stampede-1202975009/

Wtf Jason, stealing roles from professional wrestlers now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Grendels Dad posted:

Wtf Jason, stealing roles from professional wrestlers now?

i can only assume you mean this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0nDG91hVu0