Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

posting smiling
the new "nancy" strip from olivia jaimes has driven demand for youth focused strips in the funny pages. the syndication companies are rich with old comic ip but they need artists to modernize the concepts. that's why they've tapped byob. as a youth oriented online message board it's the perfect place to develop cutting edge humor concepts that will draw young eyes to the newspaper again and we will save the local news industry.

how it works: post itt to receive your assignment. i will choose a random comic strip and link you the wikipedia article. using what you learn in the article, modernize the strip concept. post an example strip itt. if you need to do a multi part story you can post multiple strips as long as you remember that nobody likes it when comic strips do that. if you post your strip on sunday it has to be in color.

example exchange:

me: i volunteer to save the local newspaper industry

me: your strip is frankie doodle

me:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

here 2 report 4 duty

posting smiling
thinking about how hard this is hitting for the guys who read frankie doodle back in the day...

posting smiling

nut posted:

here 2 report 4 duty

your strip is "always belittlin'" by percy crosby

Heather Papps

hello friend

yes, please

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Manifisto

put me in, coach!

ty nesamdoom!

posting smiling

your comic strip is wright angles by larry wright. this one doesn't have a wikipedia article so i'm just linking the google search

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
please

posting smiling

Manifisto posted:

put me in, coach!

your comic is backbench

Manifisto

oo, satire of canadian politics, sweet

ty nesamdoom!

posting smiling

it's time for you to save dream of the rarebit fiend by winsor mccay

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

:hai:

posting smiling

it's a really long wikipedia article. don't beat yourself up if you can't include every detail in your reimagining.

Heather Papps

hello friend

posting smiling posted:

your comic strip is wright angles by larry wright. this one doesn't have a wikipedia article so i'm just linking the google search

trying to figure out what wright angles is even about and this comic is giving me pause

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

posting smiling

Heather Papps posted:

trying to figure out what wright angles is even about and this comic is giving me pause

seems a lot like garfield to me

cda

by Hand Knit

Holy poo poo you lucky bastard

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

gimme comic thanks!

Manifisto

:hmmyes:

ty nesamdoom!

posting smiling

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

gimme comic thanks!

your comic is priscilla's pop by al vermeer

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

posting smiling

the boys at syndication are passing on a warning. don't get too political with the cat stuff.

meanwhile, they loved my frankie doodle stuff. they said they would order a whole week of them.

nut

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i'm not sure if i did this right but i tried my best to get that youth appeal

posting smiling

Luvcow posted:

hearing a hushed murmur of approval come back from syndication after i sent this one up the pneumatic tube for approval

cda

by Hand Knit

Luvcow posted:

lmfao

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
give me a easy one

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

Plant MONSTER. posted:

give me a easy one

give him a really hard one :twisted:

posting smiling

Plant MONSTER. posted:

give me a easy one

i don't have any say in who gets what strip. there's a computer system for that. all automated these days. however, you did get a well known one. rex morgan md by nicholas p dallis

posting smiling

are you signing up cda? syndication is starting to worry that byob doesn't have the work ethic they were lead to believe. they're starting to say we're spending more time reading the comics than producing them. and if my numbers don't come up, i don't get paid. if i don't get paid, there are no comics. because comics need ink. and ink ain't cheap.

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
i'm just a poor newspaper intern with MS paint. can i still get a strip?

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

posting smiling

magic cactus posted:

i'm just a poor newspaper intern with MS paint. can i still get a strip?

you've been paired with napoleon by foster moore. no article on this one, so you'll have to reverse engineer it from this image

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

I am getting that eerie but sublime feeling that used to creep over me whenever I got to read the "funnies" and see what was happening in "gasoline alley." goodness, who had their finger on the pulse more accurately? for better or for worse? i'll cut you

ty nesamdoom!

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

posting smiling posted:

the boys at syndication are passing on a warning. don't get too political with the cat stuff.

meanwhile, they loved my frankie doodle stuff. they said they would order a whole week of them.

Luvcow posted:

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

owlhawk911

what is my comic

posting smiling

owlhawk911 posted:

what is my comic

you get the "in" kids by pat boyer

owlhawk911

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

posting smiling posted:

i don't have any say in who gets what strip. there's a computer system for that. all automated these days. however, you did get a well known one. rex morgan md by nicholas p dallis

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 1, 2020

cda

by Hand Knit

ahaha

cda

by Hand Knit

posting smiling posted:

are you signing up cda? syndication is starting to worry that byob doesn't have the work ethic they were lead to believe. they're starting to say we're spending more time reading the comics than producing them. and if my numbers don't come up, i don't get paid. if i don't get paid, there are no comics. because comics need ink. and ink ain't cheap.

I didn't intend to sign up but sometimes fate has plans for us that we know not of, so hit me with one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

lol

ty nesamdoom!