Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

SiKboy posted:

Sure, just like all those japanese games set in america could have had an english speaker glance at them. But this is literally just the menu screen. I dont know much about AAA video game development, is the guy who puts "New Game" on the menu screen likely to be the same one who is writing the dialogue and story?

It's a SIE game that's hired a bunch of Japanese voice talent and stuff, it will be fine. Who knows what the deal is with the menu but the Japanese audio side sounded positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

So theres a pretty good chance this is "That one scene from H:ZD" take 2 then? Fair enough.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Seedge posted:

Dreams goes into VR July 22nd apparently.
That seems good, for no reason other than I don't need to rely on software developers to decide what I do and don't want to play in VR, because so far they've been almost completely wrong.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SiKboy posted:

So theres a pretty good chance this is "That one scene from H:ZD" take 2 then? Fair enough.
Its fun to laugh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What was that HZD scene, anyway? Is it in the final game?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

homeless snail posted:

Its fun to laugh

Laugh all you want, I'm more thinking about chickens little here:

haveblue posted:

If it's an isolated issue, yeah, but if it's representative of how they localized the entire game that's a huge amount of work and they may not have considering it a problem until outsiders had a look.

Also we're so close to release that the day 1 patch is probably finalized by now and they'd have to really rush to slip an extra localization change into it.

Midjack posted:

The starting menu is the first loving thing you see and also pretty easy to copy from the thousands of games that came before so it’s a pretty bad sign.

Its not always about you.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

What was that HZD scene, anyway? Is it in the final game?
It is, its just a really awkward line read with some bad facial sync, and it was all anybody had to look at for that game for idk how long

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was from like a week before the game came out and we already had a ton of gameplay footage that looked good. People just lasered in on it because gamers are relentlessly negative and love to watch things crash and burn.

It was a pretty funny cutscene though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Even English people proofreeding English don't always catch every error.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

homeless snail posted:

It is, its just a really awkward line read with some bad facial sync, and it was all anybody had to look at for that game for idk how long

It also came across to me as a sort of condescending "silly tribals don't understand mental illness" treatment, like a time-travelling character smugly dunking on a medieval-level society for not having developed a theory of universal gravitation yet.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lobok posted:

Even English people proofreeding English don't always catch every error.

The menu is arguably in “all your base” territory.

And they would have had to read it to, you know, know which option starts the game.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Translations from ntan1 in the Tsushima thread:

ntan1 posted:

The first set of text: "Can you continue!?"
Second: Load. The Game.
Third: A whole new game

Am I the only one who hopes that when we get the English version, those are the exact options?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

love to watch things crash and burn.

Hell yeah!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's some kind of fuckup. I'm going to guess, since they've done an effort on Japanese localisation, that it's some kind of very stupid fuckup where the title screen was left placeholder or just plain hosed and someone is going to be getting their ears boxed over it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All this attention given to the poor translation yet nobody cares about the most flagrant historical errors, like our protagonist being some noble warrior on a quest for vengeance instead of having to collect the plumber because the pipes in Yamato province got backed up again.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

It is a non-story. It is a thing to generate shallow controversy, press, or attention, all of which will only sell more copies.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Who cares how many copies it sells

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i forgot how insane this thread is lmao

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Not me. :shrug:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

stop spreading FUD!!!!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

There is no appropriate response to review copies of the Japan game containing a google translated Japanese title screen menu except "lol"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Super No Vacancy posted:

Because the title screen is wrong?

homeless snail posted:

The people that made it, the publisher, people that like the game and want a sequel as well as stats enjoyers.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You're the one that brought it up as if that was supposed to mean something!!

Super No Vacancy posted:

I'm glad it exists though, its like a portal to another dimension

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

homeless snail posted:

You're the one that brought it up as if that was supposed to mean something!!

I said it is a non-story. It is literally click-bait.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Twitter embeds were a mistake.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Twitter embeds were a mistake.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

reaping huge click profits from my monetized tweet

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

Jokes on them though, its only going to make the game sell MORE copies. :owned:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Super No Vacancy posted:

Doesn't the tweet lead to their website?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

homeless snail posted:

Jokes on them though, its only going to make the game sell MORE copies. :owned:

Yes, that is how social media works lol; it's an avenue for selling poo poo

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I said it is a non-story. It is literally click-bait.

It’s also kinda funny if I’m being honest. Still gonna get it though, I need something to follow up TLOU2. :v:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Speaking of HZD news I’ve gotten pretty far. Only have two tallnecks still to climb and two couldrons to complete. I just met the sun king and been asked to find that missing sister. How far along am I?

I just fought, inside one of those couldron cores, a thunderjaw for the first time I’ve ever encountered one. My god that was a fight. I scanned it and studied the log entry, noting its most susceptible to tearing off all its hardware. I knocked two tearblast arrows at once on my heavy bow and immediately got to task breaking off both its disc launchers. With those gone I fired four more tearblasters right at it’s drat face, blowing off a ton of weapon and radar gear and armor. I mean it exploded like chicken feathers. It didn’t appreciate it. I barely survived it chasing me around the arena, sweeping me with its tail, used up most of my health satchel. But, I finally made way to its very own disc launcher on the ground and picked it up. I literally hear Aloy say, “it’s my turn” as I start just loving mag dumping into that thunderjaw. By the time I had emptied the second disc launcher weapon into its flank, it was nearly dead. A few fire arrows to its exposed center was all it took to finish it off. It was awesome.

And then as I’m leaving I get the notification I can override those now. Holy poo poo.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

JBP posted:

Doesn't the tweet lead to their website?

The tweet doesn't point out the translation errors, that's being done by others in the replies. If there's an example of someone trying to create a story around this in order to get attention that can be monetized, no one's posted it in this thread yet.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

acksplode posted:

The tweet doesn't point out the translation errors, that's being done by others in the replies. If there's an example of someone trying to create a story around this in order to get attention that can be monetized, no one's posted it in this thread yet.

We made the story!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it doesnt lead to the tweeter's website in the first place

acksplode
May 17, 2004

JBP posted:

We made the story!

Where's my cut >:|

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

Where's my cut >:|

You have to get more mad, and also make others more mad...and then you get your socialbux.

YOU'RE WELCOME!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Speaking of HZD news I’ve gotten pretty far. Only have two tallnecks still to climb and two couldrons to complete. I just met the sun king and been asked to find that missing sister. How far along am I?

That's one of two major questlines in the game. The one you're on with Avad and Erend has just a few more parts, Aloy's origin story is much longer and takes you to basically every corner of the map.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I am super excited for ghost of tsushima in any case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wait.. there are microtransactions in a crash game?

The kart racer remake. They did the Activision thing where they add them a month or so after reviews launch.