Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

just reboot the tng movies you cowards

give ds9 some movies too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ramadu posted:

give ds9 some movies too

It's weird when you get past the point of needing to see the original cast come back, past never wanting them to do a reboot because they'd ruin it, to wanting them to do a reboot because you're curious about the particular fashion in which they will ruin it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

and then past the need for watching it because you just want to see the thread make fun of it, and maybe watch a YouTube complaining about it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ramadu posted:

give ds9 some movies too

Or just make a new series of movies on the Enterprise-G that use the philosophy of TNG

I mean what's the point of rebooting TNG, really. If it's new characters just use new characters.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

MikeJF posted:

Or just make a new series of movies on the Enterprise-G that use the philosophy of TNG

I mean what's the point of rebooting TNG, really. If it's new characters just use new characters.

Obviously TNG needed way more dune buggies, and there is only one way to fix that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Obviously TNG needed way more dune buggies, and there is only one way to fix that.

The Enterprise-G is a dune buggy carrier

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The entire season takes place in Sand Space, which is dimension which looks like a big sandy desert.

The series will be entirely serialized, except for a little filler where they find the border of fluidic space and stop the ship to have a beach episode.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Brawnfire posted:

It's weird when you get past the point of needing to see the original cast come back, past never wanting them to do a reboot because they'd ruin it, to wanting them to do a reboot because you're curious about the particular fashion in which they will ruin it.

yeah now that you mention it, kurtzman would ruin it in some extremely unique way probably

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh please, we would get 3 Voyager movies before there was a DS9 one

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I'm pretty sure I've met more people who remember Voyager fondly than DS9.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My guess is that's because they were 12 at the time and from their vantage point Voyager was a light breezy time and DS9 was a boring soap opera. If those same people revisited the show today I'm guessing you'd see a lot of opinions change.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

My guess is that's because they were 12 at the time and from their vantage point Voyager was a light breezy time and DS9 was a boring soap opera. If those same people revisited the show today I'm guessing you'd see a lot of opinions change.

Yeah I think you're right. That and having a woman as the captain counted for big points with them as young girls.

Strange reasoning but when I was a kid I didn't watch much DS9 because it was so dark, as in the lighting and colours. The show is difficult to see sometimes and that turned me off visually!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My problem with DS9 as a kid is that I didn't watch week-to-week, instead catching episodes here and there late at night and out of order. The serialized nature was a turnoff because I could tell there was an over-arching story but I didn't understand it and didn't want to put in the time. I didn't love Voyager, but I did watch it because I could dip in and out of it with ease. Plus, yeah the dimmer palette being a turnoff strikes a cord with me, and I definitely thought the episodes I saw were boring compared to Voyager. But I think I had an understanding that DS9 was the better show, even at the time, but just not for me.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

VOY S4 e2 The Gift

"Sorry Jennifer, we added someone to the cast and have to let someone go. It was going to be stupid, sexy Garrett but he went and got added to the list of top man candy by TV guide so its going to be you instead.

"You've been a valuable member of the cast and we hate to see you go but I'm sure you have a great career ahead of you!"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

womb with a view posted:

Yeah I think you're right. That and having a woman as the captain counted for big points with them as young girls.

Strange reasoning but when I was a kid I didn't watch much DS9 because it was so dark, as in the lighting and colours. The show is difficult to see sometimes and that turned me off visually!

All of this is exactly why I had good memories of Voyager as a kid. I watched a good portion of the concluding arc of DS9 in reruns in high school and it was better then, but I absolutely didn't understand it as a young girl.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

This is me pretty much. Voyager was the first Star Trek I watched, I passed on DS9 because "they're on a space station, they don't go anywhere? Boring!" and then watched Enterprise after. Also the occasional episode of TNG whenever it was on.

Years later I went back and watched TNG and DS9, realising that they were way better. Still have a soft spot for Voyager and Enterprise since I watched them growing up, but I realise now that TNG and DS9 are overall better shows.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah I'm kinda scared to get back to Voyager in this Star Trek watching odyssey because I have SUCH GOOD MEMORIES of it and it probably can't match up. :smith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arivia posted:

Yeah I'm kinda scared to get back to Voyager in this Star Trek watching odyssey because I have SUCH GOOD MEMORIES of it and it probably can't match up. :smith:

Spoiler: It won't. About 95 percent of Voyager is microwaved scripts that feel like rejects from TNG season 7. They abandon the Maquis / Starfleet dynamic immediately, and do absolutely nothing with the premise of being 75,000 light years from the Alpha Quadrant.

And I hope you like Borg, because they heard you like Borg so they put some Borg in your Borg.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Even when there's no borg, the main characters are talking about borg.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

whenever the Borg aren't not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking 'Where's the Borg?'

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In Discovery season 3 the Borg should just be part of the Federation with no explanation whatsoever given.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

In Discovery season 3 the Borg should just be part of the Federation with no explanation whatsoever given.

In fact the Bad Federation will have gone bad because they kicked the Borg out!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It's been said before, but there are enough good episodes of Voyager to make for a pretty solid one season of TV. Unfortunately, they're spread fairly evenly across the seven years.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Cross-posting from the Newspaper Comic Strip Thread

Breaking Cat News

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Been watching TOS season 3 and right from the start it’s apparent that the budget cuts apparently also extended to Shatner’s new toupee. Maybe it’s just because I usually skip this season on rewatches, but Shat’s decline is so much more obvious here thanks in part to get aforementioned toupee and the new material the costumes are made of. They make his girdle much more obvious.

I’d also forgotten at least half of these episodes existed, like That Which Survives and The Mark of Gideon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Been watching TOS season 3 and right from the start it’s apparent that the budget cuts apparently also extended to Shatner’s new toupee. Maybe it’s just because I usually skip this season on rewatches, but Shat’s decline is so much more obvious here thanks in part to get aforementioned toupee and the new material the costumes are made of. They make his girdle much more obvious.

I’d also forgotten at least half of these episodes existed, like That Which Survives and The Mark of Gideon.
I'm about to move into TOS Season 3 also which I have mostly never watched.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Tunicate posted:

if it's made of glass you can just do big-rear end zero gravity glass blowing to inflate it

Like a balloon!

(sorry)

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Should I go right into DS9 after I finish TNG, or should I watch TNG film(s) + check TOS episodes/films after? Y'all weren't kidding about TNG picking up at S3, every episode so far has been super awesome and my favorites so far.

I also skipped S1 of TNG since it seemed to be spoken of almost always negatively and wanted to get to S3 earlier, is it worth revisiting once I wrap up the series?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

knox posted:

Should I go right into DS9 after I finish TNG, or should I watch TNG film(s) + check TOS episodes/films after? Y'all weren't kidding about TNG picking up at S3, every episode so far has been super awesome and my favorites so far.

I also skipped S1 of TNG since it seemed to be spoken of almost always negatively and wanted to get to S3 earlier, is it worth revisiting once I wrap up the series?
You don't need to watch the movies for DS9

The only movie that has any impact is First Contact but it's still only a quick mention on DS9

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

knox posted:

Should I go right into DS9 after I finish TNG, or should I watch TNG film(s) + check TOS episodes/films after?

I'd say watch the TOS movies now. After you finish TNG, go through Generations and then the first five seasons of DS9, then move to First Contact and Insurrection, then finish DS9, then punch yourself in the groin repeatedly instead of watching Nemesis.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

FlamingLiberal posted:

You don't need to watch the movies for DS9

The only movie that has any impact is First Contact but it's still only a quick mention on DS9

And it's better to have watched the first four seasons of DS9 before the one crossover scene in FC than to watch the movie first in my opinion.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

And it's better to have watched the first four seasons of DS9 before the one crossover scene in FC than to watch the movie first in my opinion.
Yes if you watch FC you're going to be very confused by the beginning

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes if you watch FC you're going to be very confused by the beginning

I wouldn't go that far, but Worf commanding the Defiant is neat if you've seen DS9, whereas the scene in DS9 where they name-drop "the borg incident" barely even registers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

I wouldn't go that far, but Worf commanding the Defiant is neat if you've seen DS9, whereas the scene in DS9 where they name-drop "the borg incident" barely even registers.
Right but if you haven't seen DS9 you are going to be very confused as to why Worf is not on the Enterprise and also commanding some weird ship

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cat Hatter posted:

I would argue at least through Rapture in S5 of DS9 so the new uniforms don't come as a shock.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Honestly I think the scene in question makes sense without watching anything else:

We know the Enterprise-D goes kablooey at the end of Generations and it makes sense that the crew might be reassigned elsewhere. Even without watching DS9 and knowing what the Defiant was, you can just presume Worf was transferred to a bad-rear end little gunship which he was commanding during the Borg incident.

To be honest you might as well argue that they need to see some of Voyager to explain the EMH cameo as well!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Zaroff posted:

Honestly I think the scene in question makes sense without watching anything else:

We know the Enterprise-D goes kablooey at the end of Generations and it makes sense that the crew might be reassigned elsewhere. Even without watching DS9 and knowing what the Defiant was, you can just presume Worf was transferred to a bad-rear end little gunship which he was commanding during the Borg incident.

To be honest you might as well argue that they need to see some of Voyager to explain the EMH cameo as well!

OK but compared to that one-off line about the 'Borg incident' in a single episode of DS9 though....

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Of course it makes sense and only Where Silence Has Lease era Worf would be confused watching First Contact without having seen DS9 first. I just think I would have appreciated the Defiant cameo more had I had context for it when I first watched the movie.

But it really barely matters at all unless you want to do something weird like watch DS9 in reverse order or something.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm about to move into TOS Season 3 also which I have mostly never watched.

You're in for a treat! Everyone knows Star Trek series hit their peak in the 3rd season!

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

There's also the appearance of Bashir in Birthright. The most difficult but authentic way to watch the shows would be the way they aired, so alternate episodes of TNG and DS9.