Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

thespaceinvader posted:

Any suggestions with this one?

Deck https://www.17lands.com/deck/a7ce4103167d4489a727689a259e1b6b/0
Draft https://www.17lands.com/draft/a7ce4103167d4489a727689a259e1b6b

Mostly the plan is ramping into big stuff which makes me think I want the Gloom Sower but I'm not sure what to cut for it, and/or at least on Blood Glutton, but ditto, whilst using lifegain and decent-sized blockers to keep the board stalled, and/or just getting both Sanctums down and draining the opponent whilst stalling.

Ugin was P1P1, and I already know a minor mistake I made, which was windmill slamming him without looking too hard at the colour distribution. I picked the Capture Sphere fairly early with a mind to building off the Gagglemaster into UW fliers, but it didn't pan out.

Not being able to take the Gargaroth P3P1 was painful, and whether to take any of the good blue P2P1 similarly. Ditto the Finishing Blow I passed up at one point for a creature because I felt like I had decent amounts of removal but was low on good creatures...

Not playing for another 12 hours so any overnight feedback would be appreciated.

So I think what you're meant to do in this format is steer towards Selesnya or Boros Aggro. This is good practice for me (hopefully it's not just the blind leading the blind) but here we go:

P1P2: Dragonfire over Gagglemaster. 5CMC cards are very replaceable and I don't think I'd miss the Gagglemaster. Dragonfire hits something like 80-90% of creatures in the format and is easily the best common.
P1P2: Houndmaster, Tyrannodon, Feat all good picks. Capture Sphere is clunky, expensive removal and reactive instead of aggressive. Not a strong pull into blue either.
You pick a few good white Aggro cards after that and your Doggos later on would have worked with the Houndmaster.
P1P8: At this point in the format I think just don't take Sanctums. Take the dual or another Pegasus.
P1P9: I think I'd take Pitchburn over Scene almost all the time because it's a strong body plus effective removal whereas Secure literally gives the body to your opponent.
P1P10: Your first black pick. Fine as a hedge but following a red/white path you'd already be deep enough that taking yet another Pegasus is also fine
P1P11: A Pitchburn this late is a red signal. I'd be feeling good about being red. The black cards are nothing special.
P1P12: Gift is good but I think I'd take the big boy Brute as a curve topper.
P1P13: Furor, aggression is the win.
P2P1: This is a windmill slam Hallowblade. He makes your Ugin playable because if you draw Ugin early he's a perfect pitch to Hallowblade. This card is super strong. Eliminate is a fine card but again, trying to avoid black and Boros seems open enough.
P2P4: The Black Sanctum is the best one but I still think it doesn't beat Basri's Solidarity. Also, not a strong pull into black. I've not seen any super strong black cards at this point, just average. I just don't think black would be on my radar.
P2P5: Dub works well in this format.
P2P6: Another Houndmaster is a good pick over the Chorister, and looking now to take Dogs over literally anything.
P2P7: Another Charger. Secure is not good removal.

The rest would play out a little different but you'd end up with a great Boros aggro deck, double Feat, Hallowblade, two Houndmasters with two Alpines to fetch (no Curs unfortunately but had you taken the first Houndmaster you might have seen it), a midgame plan if aggro fails (two Pitchburns on the field is a hell of a wall to get past) and a late game surprise Ugin. If you hedged Selesnya along the way you could have dropped the red, there was a Conclave Mentor, tons of Pridemalkins and the Gargaroth would have been playable (of course that's with the benefit of hindsight.. I think the red signals were stronger). That would have been more midrange but with two of the best Mythics in the set I think it could have been amazing.

Anyway hope the Ugin carries you to some wins. I don't think you'll be triggering the Silversmote Ghoul unless you happen to play Faith's Fetters at the right time so that will probably just be a 3 mana 3/1. I'd probably try and fit in a Glutton, maybe over a Pegasus since you're trying to stall instead of being aggressive and you've got other removal for flyers.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Anybody feel that the game is unreliable right now?

My own games are fine, maybe bc I am not on windows. But I had more wins by disconnection in the last two days then in the previous month. And my flatmate has had the game crashing on him every third game. Does anybody have any tips on how to fix that?

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Just wanted to take a moment to bitch about Ugin in draft. I just saw two in 5 games (best of 1), and got utterly demolished from a strong winning position vs. just about any other card in the set.

I guess that tells me to play best of 3, but honestly, WTF can you really do vs the bolt per turn wrath machine?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Death of Rats posted:

Just wanted to take a moment to bitch about Ugin in draft. I just saw two in 5 games (best of 1), and got utterly demolished from a strong winning position vs. just about any other card in the set.

I guess that tells me to play best of 3, but honestly, WTF can you really do vs the bolt per turn wrath machine?

kill them before turn 8

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Death of Rats posted:

focus on finding ways to convert a strong winning position into a dead opponent more quickly

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Big burn spells, bounce spells, go wide, but mostly, yeah, if their clock is that slow, clean it first.

Chadzok posted:

So I think what you're meant to do in this format is steer towards Selesnya or Boros Aggro. This is good practice for me (hopefully it's not just the blind leading the blind) but here we go:

This all looks solid and yeah, looking back I think I could have had a very good boros aggro deck with Ugin just kind of floating there as a curve topper if I ever get to enough mana.

I think what I have has potential, we'll see.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

kill them before turn 8

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

VictualSquid posted:

Anybody feel that the game is unreliable right now?

My own games are fine, maybe bc I am not on windows. But I had more wins by disconnection in the last two days then in the previous month. And my flatmate has had the game crashing on him every third game. Does anybody have any tips on how to fix that?

I've definitely gotten more disconnects in the last week or so, but I thought it was just my internet for some reason. I blame Mac users, personally.

I've been screwing around this "Life Gain" deck, please let me know if there's some way to improve it (aside from a sideboard, but I'm lazy about figuring that out before the actual deck). I don't think it's better than Rakdosac, but there's something funny about opponents too scared to attack me for fear of their inevitable death.

quote:

4 Cauldron Familiar (ELD) 81
3 Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose (M21) 127
4 Cruel Celebrant (WAR) 188
4 Bastion of Remembrance (IKO) 73
3 Call of the Death-Dweller (IKO) 78
4 Priest of Forgotten Gods (RNA) 83
4 Serrated Scorpion (IKO) 99
4 Silversmote Ghoul (M21) 122
3 Lurrus of the Dream-Den (IKO) 226
2 Temple of Silence (M20) 256
4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
2 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
4 Plains (ANA) 61
7 Swamp (M20) 272
4 Witch's Oven (ELD) 237

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Playing around an 8-cost mythic in draft seems like a bad idea

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I've definitely gotten more disconnects in the last week or so, but I thought it was just my internet for some reason. I blame Mac users, personally.

I've been screwing around this "Life Gain" deck, please let me know if there's some way to improve it (aside from a sideboard, but I'm lazy about figuring that out before the actual deck). I don't think it's better than Rakdosac, but there's something funny about opponents too scared to attack me for fear of their inevitable death.

You're running Lurrus AND call of the death dweller, you should have Archfiend's Vessel for easy 5/5 flyers.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

I'm mostly saying the same things others already have, but here goes:

P1P2: Already commented on a bunch but Scorching Dragonfire is the correct pick here.
P1P3: Feat of Resistance, Houndmaster, Weird and Tyrannodon are all better cards. Don't commit to an archetype this early if it means picking cards like Capture Sphere over those. I would speculate on Houndmaster here, but Feat of Resistance is also very good if you want your second colour to remain open.
P1P8: The white shrine is bad, a Pegasus is fine. The red and green cards are fine too if you want to start thinking about a second colour.

P2P1: Blue was cut in pack 1, so it's either Eliminate or Seasoned Hallowblade. I'm leaning Hallowblade because it's busted and your black cards aren't good enough to commit to yet.
P2P4: Basri's Solidarity is more proactive than the black Sanctum. After playing with/against it a couple times, I don't think the black Sanctum is as good as Ill-Gotten Inheritence was in RNA.
P2P5: Dub is playable here, your two drops are all good targets.

P3P3: Silversmote Ghoul is too late to pick here without already having better lifegain enablers. I think Thallid or Gale Swooper is the pick over Finishing Blow, since you already have 2 5CMC removal spells.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Switch out the Ghouls for Archfiends, switch the bastions for 2 Ayara and 2 woe strider and you have my deck.

Though I do more mono-b recently because gary+vito is hilarious.
And there is revival/revenge which pairs well with both archfiend and vito.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

I'm almost a little sad my best deck came so early in the season. Volcanic Geyser has been really unimpressive for me so far, to the point where I'm not even sure it is better than scorch or shock. Selfless Savior has also massively over performed for me even without having either of my insane bombs in play.

I wouldn't be surprised if the baneslayer cycle of cards all had higher winrates than Ugin.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

A Moose posted:

You're running Lurrus AND call of the death dweller, you should have Archfiend's Vessel for easy 5/5 flyers.
Also, you might try running Revival/Revenge instead of Call of the Death Dweller, since Revival also gets Vessel/whatever out of the graveyard, and Revenge wins the game if Vito is on the board.

Not sure how that would play with the rest of the deck, but it's worth considering.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Ersatz posted:

Also, you might try running Revival/Revenge instead of Call of the Death Dweller, since Revival also gets Vessel/whatever out of the graveyard, and Revenge wins the game if Vito is on the board.

Not sure how that would play with the rest of the deck, but it's worth considering.
The trick about Call is to bring back two scorpions and immediately sac them to priest. Giving you 6 damage (10 with vito) for effectively 1 mana and no cards.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

The trick about Call is to bring back two scorpions and immediately sac them to priest. Giving you 6 damage (10 with vito) for effectively 1 mana and no cards.
That's... a pretty neat trick

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Are those new Shrines in any way competitive in BO1 Standard, or not at all? Are they only just to complement the Historic shrines?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I can’t see 5 color shrines being anything but a meme deck in historic with the hondens

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Are those new Shrines in any way competitive in BO1 Standard, or not at all? Are they only just to complement the Historic shrines?

A spend mana to do nothing this turn will never be good in a format with Teferi and brazen borrower.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Sedisp posted:

A spend mana to do nothing this turn will never be good in a format with Teferi and brazen borrower.

Oh christ, I thought M20 was cycling out with the M21 stuff... I'm in for another 3+ months of this?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

Oh christ, I thought M20 was cycling out with the M21 stuff... I'm in for another 3+ months of this?
Neither of those are in M20, and Brazen stays anyway...

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
I did my first M21 draft, but it sounds like this format is a bit faster than people expected, is that right? Does this seem like a good build, or should I try to lower my curve a bit?

RB seemed very open considering the amount of late removal flying around, but it was all 5 cmc stuff so now I'm wondering if the format is too fast for that. Thanks!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I sure do love simic decks getting more ramp and ugin as a top end.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

RC Cola posted:

I sure do love simic decks getting more ramp and ugin as a top end.

Standard has been poison since War of the Spark. Join the historic continuum friend.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

I did my first M21 draft, but it sounds like this format is a bit faster than people expected, is that right? Does this seem like a good build, or should I try to lower my curve a bit?

RB seemed very open considering the amount of late removal flying around, but it was all 5 cmc stuff so now I'm wondering if the format is too fast for that. Thanks!

I'd run two 5 CMC removal spells at most, so +Igneous Cur -Turn To Slag.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They should suspend Wilderness Rec in Historic and see if that opens up for more goofy combo and midrange decks

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Did first M21 Draft. Rares were uh, pretty good. In hindsight I think cat over the sage but rest seem ok. Decided we missed enough 4 power to play Rise and to just play a mountain instead of the RG tapland due to fairly vanilla mana costs. Thoughts?

Draft
Deck

e: Is Furor of the Bitten a bait? Maniacal Rage was sick in the right deck

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Toozler posted:

Did first M21 Draft. Rares were uh, pretty good. In hindsight I think cat over the sage but rest seem ok. Decided we missed enough 4 power to play Rise and to just play a mountain instead of the RG tapland due to fairly vanilla mana costs. Thoughts?

Draft
Deck

Solid draft and deck imo, super lucky with the rares. I'd consider running 16 lands (b01 hand smoothing + 50%ish chance of playing a land as soon as Radha comes down) and squeezing in either the Return to Nature or Furor as a way to turn on the Tyrannodon. I'm not super high on Traitorous Greed in this deck, with no sac outlets it's just a hopeful way to close out a game - I'd try to put in something more reliable. Furious Rise is slow but I think it would be better more of the time. I would run the gainlands.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Toozler posted:

Draft
Deck

P1P3 Snanespinner is a colossal reach. I know you want to force w/g but snarespinner doesn't even do a good job of that since it's not a card the deck even wants. Imp and Stinger let you hedge a bit and Short Sword is a solid playable in W/G if you still want to yolo force.

Furor is very good with Feat of Resistance and Rangers Guile, you make a giant thing that demands an answer, then when they double block or fire off a removal spell, you save it and they don't have an answer for it any more. It's for low-curve aggressive decks though, not a slower midrangey deck like yours.

I'd play one tapland, your deck wants both GG early for brontodon, and RR early so you can cast a red spell and hold shock up on the same turn.

Also agree that Traitorous Greed doesn't fit your deck. There's not really good replacements though. Maybe Furious Rise since you have a few backdoor ways to turn it on.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Toozler posted:

Draft
Deck

P2P4: Bronto is a great 3-drop. Jester is good but RG usually has no trouble finding creatures in the 5+ CMC slot.
P2P6: I like Track Down more here, it's a very solid card.
P2P10: Setessan Training is a fine playable and sleepy dino enabler, not sure why we picked the white card.
P3P4: Magmutt over Trufflesnout, at this point we only have 2 good 2-drops and 5 3-drops.

Agreeing with the other deck advice, Furious Rise over Traitorous Greed. Playing one gainland won't hurt too much since you have no 1-drops and Bronto is 1GG.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I played the workshop event as Teferi, dropped him and the opponent conceded.

Nice.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Chandra is just a beast in limited. I had three games where I was able to ult into a 10+ geyser.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Toozler posted:

Draft
Deck

Why do you hate Setessan Training so much? It's decent since it gets your guys up to 4 power, grants trample, replaces itself. Don't underestimate it.

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 1, 2020

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Sedisp posted:

Standard has been poison since War of the Spark. Join the historic continuum friend.

Recommend me a golgari deck that uses scavenging ooze please friend

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

Why do you hate Setessan Training so much? It's decent since it gets your guys up to 4 power, grants trample, replaces itself. Don't underestimate it.

nw.

setessan training is a fine card for fine gentleman.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 1, 2020

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Chadzok posted:

what are you on about?

I didn't look at the draft too much, I guess he could have taken it at a few points. It's not like he had any in the sideboard and all of my comments were regarding the deck and not the draft. You can always add a point without hating on my advice

woops quoted the wrong person, sorry

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Doing another sealed run!

Should I go Blue/Black or White/Blue? Either options sounds enticing.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Waffleopolis posted:

Doing another sealed run!

Should I go Blue/Black or White/Blue? Either options sounds enticing.

I think UR Looks stronger and more proactive. I get White has Anthem and double Acolyte, but I would probably prefer to play Red over white. regardless though, it's a strong blue pool.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Is Hooded Blightfang deathtouch shenanigans the new hot constructed jank or do I just have lovely luck running into 3 of these in a row?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
The brawl decks dont seem that bad? I was able to ult Basri right away and durdle teferi died right away. Chandra seems like a spellslinger deck, which works with her ult but the deck doesnt the best.