Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I spent a couple of weeks loving with a pihole and eventually determined I didn't know what I was doing. A guy at work built me one, I plugged it in, changed the router settings and had no internet for a couple of hours while I frantically tried to unfuck it again. Then I changed individual device settings because my router wasn't playing ball, had no visible effect, then the (possibly 5yr old) pi let the smoke out. I should buy a new one and try again but it wasn't easy and I think I'd need to buy my own better router to make it work right.

1/10, would definitely try again (because gently caress ads on children's Android games)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Best guess is the pihole wasn't configured to respond to the subnet you were using or the pihole wasn't able to get to a dns server upstream (maybe it tried to use itself as the dns server because dhcp told it to) for some reason.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They talk about piHole a lot in this thread I recall
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

slidebite posted:

Thank you for this. Also, her shiny pistol is probably either a 380 or a 9. So it's not some harmless little thing, especially with someone like her on the backside of it. She looks loving unhinged in that photo.
It wouldn't be a harmless little thing if it was .22 either

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

CA has a new IK, jim silly balls! :carol:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elmnt80 posted:

Must be good based on name alone

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Elmnt80 posted:

Have you always had a sturgill simpson avatar? Trying to determine how obvious I've been.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I changed it mid april, it was nux before.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930805&pagenumber=1#lastpost

YOU KNOW THE DRILL

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Galler posted:

Best guess is the pihole wasn't configured to respond to the subnet you were using or the pihole wasn't able to get to a dns server upstream (maybe it tried to use itself as the dns server because dhcp told it to) for some reason.

I understand most of these words and some of these sentences.

Charles posted:

They talk about piHole a lot in this thread I recall
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319

Thanks, I'll go ask when it comes up on the jobs list shortly.

I have just spent the last 4 hours at work configuring pi's in kiosk mode so I now know kinda how DNS servers work and what vnc is too!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

wait when did element become AI mod?? where did adiabetic go?

i pay v close attention as u can see

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

builds character posted:

That looks good! Is your starter very active? I find it makes a difference if I’m feeding it 2x/day vs being lazy and doing it every other day, for example.

My starter seems to be strong enough. I feed like 1-2 times a week, more if I’m baking a lot. I got it off someone who does a lot of bread so I guess it’s been around a while.

My biggest hurdle at the moment is getting a recipe/process that works within my time/laziness constraints. I should probably post over in the bread thread and get some tips from there.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

wait when did element become AI mod?? where did adiabetic go?

i pay v close attention as u can see

Mid April.

Adiabatic dropped off the face of the earth at least a couple of months before. First on the forums, then suspended his Facebook account sometime in the past... month or two, though he'd mostly stopped using that as well. His linkedIn is still up, and he's still listed on his employer's website. :iiam:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 30, 2020

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

He puts stuff on Snapchat periodically, so I think he's still alive. Just being less online.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Every screw drive Genie opener I've run across sounds like a blender full of marbles when it's running.

I'm sure it's partly lack of maintenance, but they really do have a lot more care and feeding vs a chain or belt. My parents bought their house when it was 5 years old, and the original Genie was already loud as hell. It would quiet down for 6-8 weeks after being touched and lubed, but then went back to being loud as hell quickly after. Lived in a few other houses with Genie screw drives, and... same thing.

The only thing I really like about them is you can physically move the limit switches on the track.

Mine's a Liftmaster (Chamberlain), and the drive itself has been quiet enough. The limit switches are inside the case, using a smaller screw to move a contact back and forth.
So I ordered the all singing, all dancing Chamberlain for pickup, and, of course, they canceled the order this morning when the store went looking for the one they had, and couldn't find it.
Reconsidering battery backup requirement. Of the four belt drives models actually available in my area today, There's the $200 Chamberlain, basically the same as I was getting, but 3/4 HP, no backup, basic wall remote, the $168 Chamberlain 1/2 HP no frills with only one remote (really? Only $30 less, and I get no WiFi, and only one [$30] remote? gently caress off,) and the $148 Genie 3/4 HP with WifI and 2 remotes, no backup. Chamberlain has a lifetime warranty on motor and belt, 5 years on everything else. Genie is lifetime motor, 15 years belt, 5 years else.
I can't believe I'm agonizing over a garage door opener, when the piece of crap I already have (mostly) lasted 22 years (made in 9/98.)
Checked, and Amazon can't deliver the Chamberlains until next week, but the Genies tomorrow. What the hey? No better there.
Eh, just going to go with the Genie, I think.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

STR posted:

Mid April.

Adiabatic dropped off the face of the earth at least a couple of months before. First on the forums, then suspended his Facebook account sometime in the past... month or two, though he'd mostly stopped using that as well. His linkedIn is still up, and he's still listed on his employer's website. :iiam:

Given his field of work and possible future fields of work, he made the right call given the current state of the forums, etc.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

True enough, though I don't think anyone outside of a handful of people knew what was happening until fairly recently?

Darchangel posted:

Mine's a Liftmaster (Chamberlain), and the drive itself has been quiet enough. The limit switches are inside the case, using a smaller screw to move a contact back and forth.
So I ordered the all singing, all dancing Chamberlain for pickup, and, of course, they canceled the order this morning when the store went looking for the one they had, and couldn't find it.
Reconsidering battery backup requirement. Of the four belt drives models actually available in my area today, There's the $200 Chamberlain, basically the same as I was getting, but 3/4 HP, no backup, basic wall remote, the $168 Chamberlain 1/2 HP no frills with only one remote (really? Only $30 less, and I get no WiFi, and only one [$30] remote? gently caress off,) and the $148 Genie 3/4 HP with WifI and 2 remotes, no backup. Chamberlain has a lifetime warranty on motor and belt, 5 years on everything else. Genie is lifetime motor, 15 years belt, 5 years else.
I can't believe I'm agonizing over a garage door opener, when the piece of crap I already have (mostly) lasted 22 years (made in 9/98.)
Checked, and Amazon can't deliver the Chamberlains until next week, but the Genies tomorrow. What the hey? No better there.
Eh, just going to go with the Genie, I think.

Why not just wait for the Chamberlain to ship, or order for pickup from another location?

I know you can easily get out during a power failure (so long as you don't cut the release rope), but being able to get into your garage during a nasty storm when the power is out would be pretty significant for me, personally. That run of shame during a bad storm suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

So I watch Hoovie, only because I'm dumb. But holy poo poo he and his "car wizard" are fantastically stupid.

They are cutting into the Lamborghini carbon fiber with absolutely no PPE. That poo poo is incredibly bad to breathe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYHQ7IKAiyM

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

True enough, though I don't think anyone outside of a handful of people knew what was happening until fairly recently?

Why not just wait for the Chamberlain to ship, or order for pickup from another location?

I know you can easily get out during a power failure (so long as you don't cut the release rope), but being able to get into your garage during a nasty storm when the power is out would be pretty significant for me, personally. That run of shame during a bad storm suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Meh. I’d have used it two or three times in the last 20 years. Decided it wasn’t essential.
We use our garage door a lot, power outages aside. It’s our primary entrance and exit.
Don’t wanna wait a week, and $100 less had me second guessing.

Reminds me that the “next house” checklist includes the possibility of a carport in front of or near the garage. Also, a laundry room. So very tired of clothes in my garage. And either no galley kitchen, or one very much wider than our current one.

Edit: I could have picked up the $250 Chamberlain at the Oak Cliff Store ~15 miles away, but nah.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 30, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

So I watch Hoovie, only because I'm dumb. But holy poo poo he and his "car wizard" are fantastically stupid.

They are cutting into the Lamborghini carbon fiber with absolutely no PPE. That poo poo is incredibly bad to breathe.

They need to stop and get Tavarish and Samcrac in the room and then start again

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

I changed it mid april, it was nux before.

that video and song are fantastic

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

He puts stuff on Snapchat periodically, so I think he's still alive. Just being less online.

Did something happen to him recently? Or did someone dox him or something?

Just kinda weird that someone would randomly drop off the internet almost completely.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

meatpimp posted:

My Composites professor in school would probably have had an aneurysm before he could even kick us out of the lab if any of us had done that. Our carbon fiber layups were probably the strictest PPE requirements of any of my classes, even including the machine and welding shop.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Normally the Wizard is on top of his game, but yeah, that was dumb as gently caress.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
In case you guys weren't aware, There's gonna be some action at Indy this weekend. Indycar GP (road course) and NASCAR road course action (first time!) both on Saturday and then NASCAR Brickyard 400 on Sunday.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

bandman posted:

Normally the Wizard is on top of his game, but yeah, that was dumb as gently caress.

I enjoy the wizard's channel and think he's a good mechanic but when they panned up and showed no PPE whatsoever...

"It smells like when they cut your cast off! :downs: "

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

redgubbinz posted:

I enjoy the wizard's channel and think he's a good mechanic but when they panned up and showed no PPE whatsoever...

"It smells like when they cut your cast off! :downs: "

I used to respect the car wizards mechanicing skills too but am amazed and disappointed by the total lack of PPE here - but fortunately unlike COVID it won’t affect the rest of us - it just disappoints us.

Lack of dust mask aside, I can’t believe that someone who works full time professionally on cars has never managed to get poo poo properly in their eye and found how unpleasant it is or had a grinder kick back and bite them such that they wear proper safety glasses/a face screen and keep the guard on the grinder.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

bandman posted:

I'm pretty sure that he didn't want to cut that hole. I strongly suspect that he actually did get a lawyer involved. You can see he is completely uncomfortable doing it. He probably still should have said no, legal protection or no.
As for the PPE, yeah, dumb.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Everdave congrats on your boom truck sale. Had a friend that was bidding on it, but $12k was too rich for him.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tomarse posted:

I used to respect the car wizards mechanicing skills too but am amazed and disappointed by the total lack of PPE here - but fortunately unlike COVID it won’t affect the rest of us - it just disappoints us.

Lack of dust mask aside, I can’t believe that someone who works full time professionally on cars has never managed to get poo poo properly in their eye and found how unpleasant it is or had a grinder kick back and bite them such that they wear proper safety glasses/a face screen and keep the guard on the grinder.

He taste tests fluids to see what they are. He also didn't wear a seat belt in older videos. I like him and think he's good but he might not be Osha approved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930898