Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

doomrider7 posted:

How much HDD space do you guys have since it sounds like you all use some puny HDD's. That's not to say ARK isn't huge, but still.

If you're spoiled with a decent m.2 NVME SSD, you can't afford too many ~200gb chunks of data, and installing a game to a spinning disk is just barbaric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Lights posted:

If you're spoiled with a decent m.2 NVME SSD, you can't afford too many ~200gb chunks of data, and installing a game to a spinning disk is just barbaric.

I mean I have a 1TB SSD and several terabytes of HDD's for various use with my gaming HDD being a 4TB WD Red making it just a notch lower than an SSD. Sometimes barbarism works.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Lights posted:

additional ssds are pretty cheap as long as you have room, and data shouldn't be stored on an SSD. they're just not that expensive anymore. like you can buy a dedicated 256 drive for Ark for under $30 sometimes.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

charity rereg posted:

additional ssds are pretty cheap as long as you have room, and data shouldn't be stored on an SSD. they're just not that expensive anymore. like you can buy a dedicated 256 drive for Ark for under $30 sometimes.

Again, you need the game + usually double that of free space in order to update it. I had the game fail updates even though I had 100gb of free space on the ssd. I had to bring it up to something stupid like 140gb of free space before the update would apply correctly.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Yeah on my old computer the Ark install was 285GB. I would have to uninstall multiple games just to update it.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

A 512 drive is $40-50 it doesnt really change the point, I assume at this point that while most of us are not wealthy that $50-100 over 18-24 months is not some bank breaker. You can put more drives in most computers is the point. If you put $5 a month in a jar when you build the computer you will have enough for a new SSD when you need it.

Like honestly not trying to pick a fight but did you think needing a 512GB drive would mean that it costs $500? it's 49.99 right now on amazon for a 480GB - actually a much better deal than $30 for 1/2 the space! But yes this game is absolutely massive and I'm still learning some of its wonderful... quirks

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 25, 2020

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
This game is not worth that

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Jackard posted:

This game is not worth that

i feel like im talking to children on reddit. you can use the hard drive for other games, people were talking about not having space and being able to install much. my point was its loving cheap enough that you _could_ get a dedicated ssd just for this game, its not some major hardship to add more space. i would not expect anyone to actually get a dedicated drive for any one game :psyduck: its cheap to add more fast storage to a computer is all, a lot of people dont realize that m2 drives offer no real world benefits and that SSDs are pretty cheap now.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 25, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yes, that's true, however the root issue here is the game takes too much loving room and spending even $100 on a 1TB ssd just to be able to update one game is asking too much, regardless of the potential side benefits.

Better off just uninstalling the game at that point until you're willing to upgrade the hard drive on it's own merits.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Sorry, didn’t mean to start a derail on this level.

Ark’s space requirements are really dumb, but relatively easily surmountable.

I already got another 500Gb SSD, but I did a dumb thing and got a full tower, and built it into a media center. To install the drive requires removal of 8 screws, lifting the PC out, then doing a typical install, then putting it all back in.

After a 10 hour day at a physically-demanding job, I just never feel like bothering.

The things preventing me from playing Ark at this point are almost all self-inflicted, or my own laziness.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

charity rereg posted:

..a lot of people dont realize that m2 drives offer no real world benefits..

This is very not correct. I was being a bit facetious about the space thing, but seriously, switching your primary drive to an m.2 NVME drive is a huge gain in OS and application load times, and there is a notable difference when I'm running a game off my m2 vs running it from a traditional SSD running over SATA, let alone a spinning disk.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Lights posted:

This is very not correct. I was being a bit facetious about the space thing, but seriously, switching your primary drive to an m.2 NVME drive is a huge gain in OS and application load times, and there is a notable difference when I'm running a game off my m2 vs running it from a traditional SSD running over SATA, let alone a spinning disk.

They offer almost no noticeable benefits in gaming, they have benefits in high input/output operations & transferring of large sustained files, but the CPU is the bottleneck usually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNMcW2tL3r4

Perception and reality are not the same thing. I would be absolutely shocked if the difference "real world" benefit. To be honest I dont consider starting up in 20 seconds instead of 25 much of a benefit, but even that startup time would be out of band with pretty much any comparison testing.

But now this thread is super off topic and I just want to play dinos. This is all stupid: you could just add a cheaper 1TB storage to your nvme setup for $90 too, you dont have to make a choice. Acting like storage is some sort of sacred rare resource is just bizarre to me, that's all.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 25, 2020

khy
Aug 15, 2005

ARK is now on sale on Steam, during the summer sale. The explorer edition with all of the DLC is down to $22.64 and I'm trying to debate if I want it or not. I have the free epic store version but it hasn't really "WOW"ed me, but that's partially because with the lack of mods and my inability to join goon servers I have been playing solo. Multiplayer may be much, much more fun and the steam version has the full mod support. I'm torn, goons, what do you think?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think Abberation is really really good. I personally think you need mods to that remove limitations on the climbing picks and wingsuit. Originally the wingsuit could be used repeatedly without a delay but I guess that was too much fun cause they added a cooldown to it. I also feel like constantly having to repair climbing picks was not a fun mechanic.

Otherwise Aberration feels extremely creative. The art design of the environment is miles better than anything else Ark has to offer, and a lot of that has to do with Abberation having no flying Dinos. Starting fresh on Abberation with a small group of friends and exploring it is one of my fondest gaming memories. I never finished it, mainly because it’s pretty frickin hard, and the massive install size is the main thing keeping me from reinstalling it

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

khy posted:

ARK is now on sale on Steam, during the summer sale. The explorer edition with all of the DLC is down to $22.64 and I'm trying to debate if I want it or not. I have the free epic store version but it hasn't really "WOW"ed me, but that's partially because with the lack of mods and my inability to join goon servers I have been playing solo. Multiplayer may be much, much more fun and the steam version has the full mod support. I'm torn, goons, what do you think?

I'd say go for it. $22 is expensive takeout, and according to steam I've pulled 769 hours of entertainment out of it. Don't feel beholden to finding goon servers. Just never play on official servers.

I've finally settled in on a PvE server with a very active admin, a decent spread of mods, and every goddamn map plus some unofficial maps on the cluster. Between it and dicking around on the chill server when it is up and I want a more free-for-all high powered experience, I'm pretty content.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I got the explorer edition because while Epic may someday have mods the patch yesterday broke joining my dedicated server via Epic, you need to start a single player game then join the console.

Since I didn't pay a cent for it on Epic, screw it, I'd rather pay $22 to get on the good platform (it's also the only thing i regularly play on the epic store, so i can kill that launcher). We are rolling along now in our Ragnarok setup. Got some decent Argys, a few other dinos, have 2 pieces of upgraded flak armor (apprentice?) and only spent a few hours recovering bodies yesterday :) We are working on a fertilization setup (got the toilet working!) too.

Still loving hate Therizinosaurs though, I feel like they're too drat common for how brutal they are :)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

charity rereg posted:

I got the explorer edition because while Epic may someday have mods the patch yesterday broke joining my dedicated server via Epic, you need to start a single player game then join the console.

Since I didn't pay a cent for it on Epic, screw it, I'd rather pay $22 to get on the good platform (it's also the only thing i regularly play on the epic store, so i can kill that launcher). We are rolling along now in our Ragnarok setup. Got some decent Argys, a few other dinos, have 2 pieces of upgraded flak armor (apprentice?) and only spent a few hours recovering bodies yesterday :) We are working on a fertilization setup (got the toilet working!) too.

Still loving hate Therizinosaurs though, I feel like they're too drat common for how brutal they are :)

I love em, but that's probably because I built a trap dedicated to them because I need an entire line for a breeding program. Also they're good against the Dragon.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Warmachine posted:

I love em, but that's probably because I built a trap dedicated to them because I need an entire line for a breeding program. Also they're good against the Dragon.

I think they just spawn a lot more than I'd expect (and of course is realistic... but...) like 4 of them on screen at once, two in a pair. They seem a little aggro for a territorial herbivore too, I wish the territorial but non predatory creatures had more of a rattlesnake like approach to escalation.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

charity rereg posted:

I think they just spawn a lot more than I'd expect (and of course is realistic... but...) like 4 of them on screen at once, two in a pair. They seem a little aggro for a territorial herbivore too, I wish the territorial but non predatory creatures had more of a rattlesnake like approach to escalation.

They're also one of the few creatures that can damage stone so yeah, be wary of them and pick them off if you have a sufficiently powerful tame for the job.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

charity rereg posted:

I think they just spawn a lot more than I'd expect (and of course is realistic... but...)
Everything spawns "realistically" in this game (for reasons)

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Are there any goon groups that play official pvp servers? Picked up this game and it's real fun, the small tribes pvp servers seem decent.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

RadioPassive posted:

Are there any goon groups that play official pvp servers? Picked up this game and it's real fun, the small tribes pvp servers seem decent.

Pretty sure they all got permabanned when some jerk used aimhacks or something.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Cool. Anyone want to start/join a group on one of the Small Tribes official pvp servers? Max tribe size is 6. I’m still learning a lot of the mechanics that get used for pvp but I’m making progress and enjoying it a lot. Teammates would be great.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Is the small tribe's thing compatible with Xbox live? I'm pretty interested.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Not sure I only just started playing like a week ago on pc.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Pretty sure they all got permabanned when some jerk used aimhacks or something.
We kept playing afterwards but dropped officials after Wildcard kept loving up the balance in 2016.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RadioPassive posted:

Cool. Anyone want to start/join a group on one of the Small Tribes official pvp servers? Max tribe size is 6. I’m still learning a lot of the mechanics that get used for pvp but I’m making progress and enjoying it a lot. Teammates would be great.

I'd join and even invite to mine, but I'm still trying to figure out some server problems.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Same, got a server setup for PvE to explore the game with some friends and we keep getting “timed out” 10ish seconds after we join and load in and start running around.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RadioPassive posted:

Same, got a server setup for PvE to explore the game with some friends and we keep getting “timed out” 10ish seconds after we join and load in and start running around.

My server isn't even showing up in the list and I don't know why. Haven't seen my dinos in ages and am getting worried that something happened to my server.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Ours doesn't show in the list most of the time either, we've been joining by IP when it works.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RadioPassive posted:

Ours doesn't show in the list most of the time either, we've been joining by IP when it works.

I'm wondering if that might be an issue on my end as well. Thankfully my server is personal since I made it myself out of an old work station PC and thus I can turn it off so the timers for things expiring shuts off. It still bothers me though and I'd like to go back to taming dinos and building stuff. I joined an ARK Discord and if I can find a solution to this issue I'll make sure to repost it.

Bitcoin420
Oct 30, 2013
Would be up for rolling with some goons on a PvP server. Been playing since it was free on epic but just scooped explorers edition on Steam for like £18. Was playing on official pvp servers and getting relentlessly dunked on but it was still pretty good fun

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Y'all feel free to come hang out on the Chill Server, which I just re-upped through October.

No PVP per se, it's all PVE, but it's all goons and goon-friends. If there is interest, we can do another Free For All Weekend and go ham razing everyone's bases before resetting so no one actually loses anything.

If you really want to get in on the PVP, I would recommend the Small Tribes servers with some friends. Tribes are max 6-players, and alliances are forbidden (you'll see a dev every week or two banning some idiot) so you get wiped, but more like every week or so instead of every day...

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

eh nevermind

RadioPassive fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 4, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
loving...FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

I FINALLY got my server running again. Sadly I work today at 4:00pm EST til 10:00pm EST, but I should be off tomorrow and will be sending out the info for invites.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Finally took a try at the gamma bosses in Valguero. We got them, lost 8 rexes, but learned a lot.
1) don’t Leeroy Jenkins in there. Lure out the dragon first.
2) count your tames carefully so you don’t accidentally leave your yuty behind
3) make sure you keep track of who got the KBs so if that Dino dies you don’t lose the element you earned

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

the ONLY way i can connect to my server ever since getting the steam version is by making a desktop shortcut with steam://connect/69.420.69.420:6969 - does that sound normal for anyone else?

if I connect via console i get bounced, if I connect via steam's View > Servers it fails or bounces me. if i connect via this desktop shortcut now it works...

as of this morning when I still had the EGS version installed it worked fine via in game favorites & console join. :psyduck:

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 6, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

charity rereg posted:

the ONLY way i can connect to my server ever since getting the steam version is by making a desktop shortcut with steam://connect/69.420.69.420:6969 - does that sound normal for anyone else?

if I connect via console i get bounced, if I connect via steam's View > Servers it fails or bounces me. if i connect via this desktop shortcut now it works...

as of this morning when I still had the EGS version installed it worked fine via in game favorites & console join. :psyduck:

I usually connect via direct link, so I really can't say. I think it's the most reliable way to join a server consistently...

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

charity rereg posted:

The way I always connect to mine is via search function and typing in the name, granted it's my personal private one and I had problems with it this past month. But yeah I'd defer to TFS on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

you know, i can support a game that truly has taken "workaround found, ticket closed" to heart

doomrider7 posted:

The way I always connect to mine is via search function and typing in the name, granted it's my personal private one and I had problems with it this past month. But yeah I'd defer to TFS on this one.

my understanding is that the server browser is a random selection of the >too many servers that the game's in game browser can display, so it showing up there (besides in favorites, which we need it to show up once for) at all is a random miracle