Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

oystertoadfish posted:

without the special soccer channel they put most of the games on, I don't get enough of the games to really latch onto one team in my opinion. I just let the sports wash over me. incidentally, was funny to see that one-pointer where the losing team had more goals but lost on behinds iirc, Carlton and someone, how often does that happen?

one other thing to remember is at least these first games they've moved to 16-minute quarters, so between that and some rustiness, there are some low-scoring games at the moment.

it can happen, especially if both teams are kicking like poo poo. Or when one team especially kicks bad - Saints-Richmond from this weekend, both teams had about the same number of scoring kicks (I think 17 to 18 if memory serves) but Saints kicked straight, which is a miracle in and of itself, and Richmond missed some sitters. Easy way to settle a four-goal game.

plus the Carlton-Essendon game was funny for how it ended -- Essendon getting a gift to get a chance at winning...and the set shot pushes wide. lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
lol QLD has refused to let Richmond into the state

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

From all the rumours and scuttlebutt around it sounds like Adelaide has a real boys' club issue where if you've played for the Crows before come work for us, no matter how poo poo you are (see Brett Burton and Ricuitto)

Yeah, this is what I'm pinning my (slim/fantasy) hopes on

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

snaeksikn posted:

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1277415851012976641?s=19

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

AFL desperately trying to avoid a bottom 6 of the ladder Eagles v Tigers on Thursday night.

Now we're set for a blockbuster.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
A bit unfair on Carlton to move that game away from the G, but I'm definitely not complaining :getin: should be a ripper.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

snaeksikn posted:

wise

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Ya love to see it

https://twitter.com/MattWalshMedia/status/1277448553049161729

:smug:

(for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9EVsFnwtg8&t=93s )

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 29, 2020

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

drunkill posted:

AFL desperately trying to avoid a bottom 6 of the ladder Eagles v Tigers on Thursday night.

Now we're set for a blockbuster.

Battle of the bums on Sunday 1pm, we better loving win

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

realbez posted:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/s-canning-our-brand-clarkson-unloads-on-afl-over-poor-fare-for-fans-20200628-p5572m.html

Please, please pay holding the ball more. Players just drop the thing or throw it forward or to a teammate and the umpire just waves play on until there’s an enormous scrum around the ball it’s miserable to watch.

He's definitely right there. You see dozens of players just drop the ball in a tackle and nothing is loving called every weekend.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Hard to argue with Clarko. Its definitely not the only thing thats making it this way but certainly a contributor. And the solution Clarko offers with umpires basically getting better isn't something dumb and game breaking in its own right.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MysticalMachineGun posted:

From all the rumours and scuttlebutt around it sounds like Adelaide has a real boys' club issue where if you've played for the Crows before come work for us, no matter how poo poo you are (see Brett Burton and Ricuitto)

Like NTRabbit is saying hopefully a bottom of the ladder finish will prompt a real cleanout and some years of rebuilding.

One quarter where Walker got a couple of cheap goals and Crouch got a bunch of inaccurate kicks on the wing while Brisbane had the cue in the rack was enough to get people back on the Walker and Crouch are amazing, we have our elite mid we're not that far off it train. Gonna be a long winter.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

thepokey posted:

Hard to argue with Clarko. Its definitely not the only thing thats making it this way but certainly a contributor. And the solution Clarko offers with umpires basically getting better isn't something dumb and game breaking in its own right.

Going from watching footy from 07-08 while the season was suspended to watching all three games we've played so far, it's been the thing that's stood out the most. I'm not sure it's a question of umpires being better, I think they've been specifically instructed to let the play go on as long as the ball hasn't stopped.

Umpires which are still umpiring the game now had a completely different interpretation ten years ago, and they particularly paid when a player is dispossessed in a tackle. You can tell because the umpires were audible back then too, and the language they use to describe decisions (e.g. Dropped the ball in the tackle, had prior) doesn't get used anymore.

That drop in the tackle free never gets paid anymore, and when it was, it would open up a Brent Guerra type player to then immediately hit a player 45-60m from the contest. This completely opened up the game and allowed Buds/Rough/Boyle/Williams to get the jump on their defender. The same was true for our opponents where Johncock or Torney would do the same (I watched the '07 elimination final in that run, still fantastic).

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well Gil has agreed that holding the ball needs to be paid more often so we’ll see if there’s any change this round.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

SA borders are closed to Victoria until July 20th. Both Adelaide teams will have played both Perth teams and both Queensland teams by the 12th, but Victorian teams are also banned from Queensland. So the games running 16th - 19th July will need to be NSW vs the QLD hub teams? Or maybe they just need to bye that week until poo poo can be figured out.

Victoria will probably be in full lockdown within a few days anyway to whatever.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I think getting the Vic teams out of the state for at least the next 4-6 weeks (with no games in Victoria) is the only way to get this season finished in a decent timeframe.

Either that or get all the all-Vic and the all-interstate matchups out of the way (effectively two separate groups) then work out the travel games later in season when hopefully this current bubble has been contained.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

If only someone had the foresight to set up hubs in SA and WA for all of the Victorian teams a month ago

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Does anyone have the postal address for AFL HQ? I need to send them a 'told you so' card

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Shut the gently caress up ntrabbit

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

realbez posted:

Shut the gently caress up ntrabbit

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

NTRabbit posted:

If only someone had the foresight to set up hubs in SA and WA for all of the Victorian teams a month ago

cost was the reason.

Even going into hubs now is far cheaper than being in hubs for 2 months already.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Sidebottom pucked up and driven home by the cops at 7am the other morning. Had been out drinking all night supposedly.

Might cop a 4 week ban. One way to avoid a hub.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

drunkill posted:

Sidebottom pucked up and driven home by the cops at 7am the other morning. Had been out drinking all night supposedly.

Might cop a 4 week ban. One way to avoid a hub.

Seems like a good way to majorly piss off the playing group.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

NSW has more AFL suitable grounds than SA anyway.
SCG, Showgrounds, Blacktown, maybe Drummoyne at a stretch - 3 would be enough if you assume you're still using the other non-Vic states. Even more if you throw in Manuka down at Canberra.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

The Deadly Hume posted:

NSW has more AFL suitable grounds than SA anyway.
SCG, Showgrounds, Blacktown, maybe Drummoyne at a stretch - 3 would be enough if you assume you're still using the other non-Vic states. Even more if you throw in Manuka down at Canberra.

What about all the SANFL grounds?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Spedman posted:

What about all the SANFL grounds?

Sounds made up to me

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
4 for sidebottom wowee

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
4 weeks because if he wasn't a footy player he'd be in the drunktank overnight and charged with public drunkenness.

https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1278264739802386437

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Well that's awesome. VAFA has just cancelled our season entirely, most likely due to the recent outbreak. loving assholes, it wasnt THAT loving hard to not throw parties and not loving act children who cant keep their fingers to themselves.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
AFL: "So, Collingwood, you feel that this penalty is too harsh?

Collingwood: "Yes, yes we do."

AFL: "Very well. Steele, can you tell us your version of events that evening?"

Steele Sidebottom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR84xDM7UWA

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Nutsngum posted:

Well that's awesome. VAFA has just cancelled our season entirely, most likely due to the recent outbreak. loving assholes, it wasnt THAT loving hard to not throw parties and not loving act children who cant keep their fingers to themselves.
Pretty much every country league south of Wagga has been mothballed. (I believe the Riverina league is still going ahead for now.)

I think the cause of concern was actually the players who come up from the city to play.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Fear not, you're still allowed to drop the ball with impunity.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
eddiebetts

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

monolithburger posted:

Fear not, you're still allowed to drop the ball with impunity.

Feels like a lot of frees have been paid, but not for holding the ball. Blues have just been really sloppy.

Weird Sandwich fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 2, 2020

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
They paid one, it was bad.

Also, I guess Geary is a forward now.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

drunkill posted:

eddiebetts

jarryngeary

not quite the same ring

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

monolithburger posted:

Also, I guess Geary is a forward now.

:psyduck:

Wait that’s also Gresham’s first goal too?! Wow.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
This makes me feel very good about losing to Carlton last week :)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Carlton just waiting for the patented 41 point comeback from a 42 point deficit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/CarltonFCBlues/status/1278631179571224578