Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

anime movies like stampede never have good plots but they can have cool fights or big fanservice moments and by those metrics stampede was pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Is it not enough to see Hancock, kick super hard?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

limeicebreakers posted:

Is it not enough to see the glorious return of the Foxy Pirates?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

limeicebreakers posted:

ill admit this is all i really wanted

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

limeicebreakers posted:

No, actually. I expect more effort to be put into a film than just having a character I know be on screen and saying their catch phrase. Particularly from this franchise which has proven itself capable of more.

That said even by that metric it’s not that great. Yes, it’s nice to have literally all the favs around but what that ultimately translated into here was everybody but Luffy and Ussop getting about four seconds of screen time to just do that thing you already saw them do in the series proper and then bow out. No real thought was put into how a fight with this many insane variables would actually play out which was a shame because with this setup you could have had all sorts of cool combo moves and weird turns in the battle. I spent half the movie yelling at the cast to use their brains for four seconds because there were at least half a dozen characters present for which physical strength doesn’t matter. Have Perrona make Bullet depressed. Use Hawkins to do fortunetelling and see which plans have the highest odds of success. Bonney charged in like a dumbass and got owned but if you let somebody else create an opening she could have ended the fight instantly by turning him into a baby (or we’d get to see baby Bullet kick everybody’s rear end which would be hilarious). But nope! The only strategy that exists is a frontal assault and move sets that already exist.

And again, the choppy editing killed any sense of tension or momentum which made it impossible to get invested in the good stuff that actually was present.

Also the Foxy pirates didn’t get a post-time skip update to their look which was super lame imo. 4/10

Brother Entropy posted:

anime movies like stampede never have good plots but they can have cool fights or big fanservice moments and by those metrics stampede was pretty good

Again, I’ll point you to Film Gold which took the standard formula and added a neat Oceans 11 twist to it. It wasn’t just that a bad guy shows up to fight and then they fight. Due to the nature of the setting the crew needs to gamble and scheme to win which created new situations and by extension new ways for the crew to use their powers. Also that movie had a real sense of style to it which Stampede was sorely lacking.

Not going to say people are crazy or wrong for liking it or anything. Lord knows I enjoy my share of absolute trash. It just bugs the crap out of me because even the weaker OP movies (that I’ve seen) had more going on under the hood than this one.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

readingatwork posted:

Also the Foxy pirates didn’t get a post-time skip update to their look which was super lame imo. 4/10
You don't just change perfection like that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, the One Piece dub is finally back to doing actual episodes, 575-587 just released yesterday.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to this thread, I remembered Stampede was a thing. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It's pretty difficult to make a compelling 90 minute One Piece filler arc, imo.

Every movie villain always has "the power to destroy the world" or whatever. It gets silly. Especially considering that Blackbeard exists and would have been gunning for these fruits.

The movie needed more Foxy Pirates.

Also the Buster Call sucks.

Also also, that one girl's sole purpose was so that they could squeeze Ace into their everyone-ever-in-One-Piece cameo hour.

The problem is One Piece is now way too far along the power treadmill and needs to end sooner than later imo. It just doesn't have the same fun it did when people couldn't casually slice mountains in half.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Stampede would have been a great movie if it came out 10 years after One Piece ended.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
So I'm behind like 40 episdoes.

That two episode filler arc around 895/6 is one of the badly timed episodes. It just interjected with no warning and had me seriously confused. Thankfully I can just skip them but who's ever idea itw as to have them smack bang there is bonkers. They could have had luffy go on a mini adventure by himself with Big Nose Grandpa or something.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Lump posted:

So I'm behind like 40 episdoes.

That two episode filler arc around 895/6 is one of the badly timed episodes. It just interjected with no warning and had me seriously confused. Thankfully I can just skip them but who's ever idea itw as to have them smack bang there is bonkers. They could have had luffy go on a mini adventure by himself with Big Nose Grandpa or something.

I'm not sure which episode that is, but recently the only filler episodes have been for the upcoming movies. Trying briefly to justify their existence by trying to tie them to the actual plot. Unless I'm forgetting something...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

I'm not sure which episode that is, but recently the only filler episodes have been for the upcoming movies. Trying briefly to justify their existence by trying to tie them to the actual plot. Unless I'm forgetting something...

Nope that was it, it was just a two part ad for Stampede that had nothing to do with the current plot.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Nope that was it, it was just a two part ad for Stampede that had nothing to do with the current plot.

Aside from one guy shouting the word "Stampede", the title really didn't have much to do with the movie.

Is the new name for Rafteal (sp? [Ironically]) canon? I hope not.

Were gonna keep getting a new movie every year, right? So that's at least 20 more movies. The one before this was better because it at least tried to be something unique. This one felt like a worse version of Strong World.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

Aside from one guy shouting the word "Stampede", the title really didn't have much to do with the movie.

Were gonna keep getting a new movie every year, right? So that's at least 20 more movies. The one before this was better because it at least tried to be something unique. This one felt like a worse version of Strong World.

Laugh Tale was always canon (I believe it was written out as such once in the anime), there’s a bit later in the manga that both confirms and explains this but I won’t say anything more beyond that. Raftel was the mistranslation

No idea on the movies though (there hasn’t been any announcement as far as I’m aware of and the anime itself likely won’t be back for a couple more weeks at least).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 14, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shadow0 posted:

Nah, the movies have been one every few years now, so they've been better paced.

Also yeah, it's probably best to think of Raftel as a Gol D. Roger situation, where everyone thought it was Gold Roger/Raftel, but it was actually Gol D. Roger/Laugh Tale, Raftel was always written in Katakana before the movie Stampede, where it was written in English as Laugh Tale, and yeah it became confirmed that this is what Oda intended.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

laugh tale was a little hard to get used to at first but it feels very 'one piece' once i shook off the reaction of it being different from what i was used to ergo it's bad

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I mean once you have places named Water 7 and Impel Down, pretty much any combination of two unrelated English words is fair game.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I mean once you have places named Water 7 and Impel Down, pretty much any combination of two unrelated English words is fair game.

I wonder where "Enies" comes from.

I still think it's funny that Luffy attacked and destroyed two of the government's most important locations, and yet still has a bounty comparable to other people. I know the bounty is supposed to be a reflection of their recognized power, not necessarily the government's desire to be rid of them. But it's funny to me. Like what could Eustas Kidd have done to compete?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shadow0 posted:

I wonder where "Enies" comes from.

I still think it's funny that Luffy attacked and destroyed two of the government's most important locations, and yet still has a bounty comparable to other people. I know the bounty is supposed to be a reflection of their recognized power, not necessarily the government's desire to be rid of them. But it's funny to me. Like what could Eustas Kidd have done to compete?

He murdered a bunch of people. Luffy doesn't really do that.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Julias posted:

He murdered a bunch of people. Luffy doesn't really do that.

Not directly, but he did unleash a prison worth of the worst people.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The anime returns on the 28th:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...9-delay/.160814

Wonder if the fact that we’re even further behind the manga now will fix the show’s pacing a bit (I doubt it though).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I was browsing Netflix just now and saw One Piece categorized under "TV shows from the 90s". And thought to myself "gently caress yeah it is"

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

QuarkJets posted:

I was browsing Netflix just now and saw One Piece categorized under "TV shows from the 90s". And thought to myself "gently caress yeah it is"

:corsair:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Shadow0 posted:

Yep those. I didn't realise it was linked to the movies, makes sense now but seriously shyte stuff.

QuarkJets posted:

I'm hoping they quickly catch up and I can watch OP on netflix, that'd be great!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I planned to just let the episodes pile up during the pandemic, but when I finally decided to check, only one got released. :sigh: Oh well, hopefully everyone was safe.

I saw the episode preview for the next one and sigh... :cripes: Hopefully it's a quick scene and not 90% of the episode.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I don't think y'all should get your hopes up for Netflix being the place to get new episodes of One Piece first. That's not typically how it works out when they license ongoing shows.

Shadow0 posted:

I planned to just let the episodes pile up during the pandemic, but when I finally decided to check, only one got released. :sigh: Oh well, hopefully everyone was safe.

I saw the episode preview for the next one and sigh... :cripes: Hopefully it's a quick scene and not 90% of the episode.

Why would you not want Luffy and Hyo to spend 90% of the episode fighting? That sounds like fun times!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah Netflix is pretty dodgy with anime. I remember for (what felt like) years they never added the last volume of fma: brotherhood despite having the rest of the series up.

At least in the states, Idk about int'l.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I think the show being on break made me realize how badly paced episodes are now. Jeez, the whole episode could have been done in about two minutes.

It seems like this week was particularly egregious, but man, I dunno.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Codeacious posted:

I think the show being on break made me realize how badly paced episodes are now. Jeez, the whole episode could have been done in about two minutes.

It seems like this week was particularly egregious, but man, I dunno.

It's always this bad.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I watched the newest episode and after skipping through all the crap, I think I spent ~10 minutes actually watching. It’s been that way for years now.

I usually watch the anime once a month so I can skip through and feel like the show did something. Granted, not much still.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

It's always this bad.

Or at least it’s been this way since around Enies Lobby or so. For example, you probably could have covered most of the stuff in the most recent episode within about the first 10 minutes or so.

The only real reason to watch the anime anymore is for the voice acting and music (though there has been some slight improvement as far as the action scenes are concerned ever since the new director took over).

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Larryb posted:

Or at least it’s been this way since around Enies Lobby or so. For example, you probably could have covered most of the stuff in the most recent episode within about the first 10 minutes or so.

I rewatched Thriller Bark over the break and while there were a few not great bits, it was far and above better than Wano has been. The only real issue were the copious flashbacks to things one or two episodes before, which are easily solved by skipping forward 10-20 seconds. But skipping ahead in the new episodes may mean missing the one voice line that happens every half minute.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Unpopular opinion?

Kaido's reveal in Episode ~912 where he turns into a blue dragon is super dumb. He's untransformed self is much scarier and downright frightening.

Is it a nod to the green dragon in dragon ball Z?

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 3, 2020

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I am loving straight to the action pace of Wano. Really awesome compared to Big Mama arc that seem to drag on.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Suspicious Lump posted:

Unpopular opinion?

Kaido's reveal in Episode ~912 where he turns into a blue dragon is super dumb. He's untransformed self is much scarier and downright frightening.

Is it a nod to the green dragon in dragon ball Z?

Why does the colour matter at all?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
How dare oda copy Momonosuke's pink dragon form, what a lazy artist.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jassa posted:

Why does the colour matter at all?

Sounds like dragon racism to me.🐉

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Because blue is associated with calm, stability and a bunch of other characterisitics that are imo the opposite of Kaido. Also the dragon is super dumb.

Freakazoid_ posted:

How dare oda copy Momonosuke's pink dragon form, what a lazy artist.
Nah, I don't mind they have a similar design. I just think it looks dumb as.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Suspicious Lump posted:

Nah, I don't mind they have a similar design. I just think it looks dumb as.

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_dragon?wprov=sfla1

Look at this stupid dragon they used as the cover image for Japanese dragons, what idiots. It's blue, those stupid clowns.

Utagawa Kuniyoshi - one of the last great masters of the Japanese ukiyo-e style of woodblock prints and painting? What a joke.