Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

That moment of self-loathing when you realize that the final enemy of the chapter, the one you played the whole chapter to get to since you hadn't assessed it yet, that you killed that enemy and forgot to assess it. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

anakha posted:

That moment of self-loathing when you realize that the final enemy of the chapter, the one you played the whole chapter to get to since you hadn't assessed it yet, that you killed that enemy and forgot to assess it. :negative:

Same, but the secret boss in the hard mode shinra VR after dying a million times to the boss before it :negative:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I got killed by that thing the first time. It's an easy boss but it can also completely gently caress you if it kills someone and then gets someone else in a grab. One more cheap stun and you lose

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

I got killed by that thing the first time. It's an easy boss but it can also completely gently caress you if it kills someone and then gets someone else in a grab. One more cheap stun and you lose

The boss before it was way harder for me. Just a pain in the neck to finish off without getting smashed seeing as I didnt have any levelled hp up materia to tank the ultimate attack.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm not quite at that fight yet, but the simulation fights are quite satisfying, even when I've lost the Hard mode fights, it's usually been near the end and didn't feel cheap. Replaying them and linking elemental materia in armour does feel a bit cheap though. Negating thunder in the solo fights makes it a breeze, and thunder spells are also very deadly to some of the opponents at the same time.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I really, really, really do not want to finish this game :( I had gotten to Chapter 14 and started some sidequests... I was very disappointed in how far I had to go in the quest of mastering all the Magic Materia; if I'd known I had to do that I certainly would have insisted on always keeping Raise equipped... I also didn't use assess nearly as much as I should have, even though I used it a fair bit and always kept it equipped I'd often just forget to use it for at least half of the battles I was in.

This always happens when I find an RPG (or any game, really) that I seriously and sincerely enjoy playing. I just don't want it to end. Like, I know that Hard Mode exists and you can replay all the chapters in any order you want after finishing the last chapter, but it's more like I don't want to find out how it all ends and have the experience be officially and completely over. And with this game, I was playing like an idiot and missed tons of stuff the first time I played up through Chapter 8, and then in my current playthrough I only really started to get a handle on everything by the time I did get to Chapter 14, and then I had another list of things I wish I had done differently. Gonna try and resist the urge to restart again because there is Hard Mode but... I really don't want to enter Shinra HQ and know that it's the beginning of the end... :sigh:

Probably gonna be at least 18 months before we even get word of a release date for the next game, and at the pace they're going I expect that the Nibelheim flashback sequence will be extended into a full 40-hour game!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I really don't think you're expected to complete the "master all magic materia" quest on your first playthrough. There's a reason that after you beat the game, you get triple AP from all fights (you don't even have to select hard mode) and double XP.

I get not wanting to have the story end, but I encourage you to not burn out before getting to Hard Mode. Hard Mode is very fun, and the fights end up feeling quite different than they did in Normal. By the same token, I would not advise grinding all the materia out and leveling up a ton in Normal, because Hard Mode seems designed to pick up right where Normal mode ended, difficulty-wise, so you'll spoil some of the fun and challenge if you overlevel.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Schwartzcough posted:

I really don't think you're expected to complete the "master all magic materia" quest on your first playthrough. There's a reason that after you beat the game, you get triple AP from all fights (you don't even have to select hard mode) and double XP.

I get not wanting to have the story end, but I encourage you to not burn out before getting to Hard Mode. Hard Mode is very fun, and the fights end up feeling quite different than they did in Normal. By the same token, I would not advise grinding all the materia out and leveling up a ton in Normal, because Hard Mode seems designed to pick up right where Normal mode ended, difficulty-wise, so you'll spoil some of the fun and challenge if you overlevel.

Ahh.. I was thinking all of those goddamn reasearch missions from Chadley, it was like incumbent upon us to finish them by the end of the Normal Playthrough becayse there'd be a new set of them in Hard Mode, or something. Good to know that's not the case!

But still, it's more the compulsion that I really don't want the first enjoyable gaming experience I've had at least since I played Breath of the Wild 3+ years ago to be over. With endgame stuff liken Hard Mode, I usually can only get into it so much.. Ah well, I'm just gonna go for it...

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

If it helps you've still got about 4-6 hours of game left if you haven't started the ascent to Shinra HQ yet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Boy I'm really looking forward to seeing how they redo the Limit Breaks in the next games.

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme
I got a HNPL code for a Superstar CXNM Belt if anyone has any use for it NJ3E

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

drat, Aerith living in this fancy 3-story mansion in the slums

edit: I'm in chapter 8 now, and I wholeheartedly agree with Jessie's earlier comment about Cloud being "adorable."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 12, 2020

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Ytlaya posted:

It is important to recognize that Aerith's living situation is more reflective of thematic implications than 'realistic' ones. I mean, we are, after all, explicitly within the genre of fantasy.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Flowers must be a rare and highly sought after resource in the slums. She also has vegetable patches there. Between those things, I could see how they would make a good living and the Sector 5 locals wouldn't encroach on her growing space.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Uncle Ulty posted:

Flowers must be a rare and highly sought after resource in the slums. She also has vegetable patches there. Between those things, I could see how they would make a good living and the Sector 5 locals wouldn't encroach on her growing space.

Aerith has her own squad of Pinkertons who she sends after anyone else in the slums who tries to grow flowers

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Aerith has her own squad of Pinkertons who she sends after anyone else in the slums who tries to grow flowers

The Leaf House was a front all along.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You've really got to wonder how Elmyra got her house. The whole flower business seems to be Aerith's thing but what did Elmyra do to become seemingly the most well-off person in sector 5.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You've really got to wonder how Elmyra got her house. The whole flower business seems to be Aerith's thing but what did Elmyra do to become seemingly the most well-off person in sector 5.

If I had to guess I'd say she has a lot of space because the house is out in the middle of nowhere, and it sucked as much as everywhere else until Aerith was living there.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

anakha posted:

The Leaf House was a front all along.

The one kid DID have the Nail Bat.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gameplay question - I frequently find myself confused about how to spend ATB gauge. There's an opportunity cost and I'm often uncertain whether a magic attack or a skill makes more sense. Should Tifa keep Unbridled Strength maxed, and when she should spend it? I'm guessing I want to have stacks of it before using one of her attack skills?

Also, it seems like you would want to keep someone like Aerith at range, but as far as I can tell enemies always turn their attacks towards the player controlled character. The only time I can really charge this Tempest skill is when the enemy is staggered, because otherwise they immediately home in on her the instant I switch characters.

Am I correct in also assuming that it's good to be frequently switching characters? Characters seem to build ATB dramatically quicker when they're controlled, so it seems like you usually want to switch to someone else after spending some.

edit: One other thing - there seem to be many undodgeable attacks (though it's possible I'm doing something wrong). Are those just meant to be blocked? I just fought Shiva in the VR thing, and there didn't seem to be any reliable way to dodge her ice shots (though they did still significant damage even when blocking). I've been getting through a lot of harder fights just through healing constantly, which makes me think I must be doing something wrong. In general the fights are a lot of fun, though. I really enjoyed the fight against Reno that I did somewhat recently. I also really like the way weapons work in this; it's always exciting when I get a new weapon, because it means a new skill and new possible upgrades. I really hope they continue making games with similar gameplay, because this is a very good action-RPG system.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Informant for Shinra.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 13, 2020

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Ytlaya posted:

Gameplay question - I frequently find myself confused about how to spend ATB gauge. There's an opportunity cost and I'm often uncertain whether a magic attack or a skill makes more sense. Should Tifa keep Unbridled Strength maxed, and when she should spend it? I'm guessing I want to have stacks of it before using one of her attack skills?

Also, it seems like you would want to keep someone like Aerith at range, but as far as I can tell enemies always turn their attacks towards the player controlled character. The only time I can really charge this Tempest skill is when the enemy is staggered, because otherwise they immediately home in on her the instant I switch characters.

Am I correct in also assuming that it's good to be frequently switching characters? Characters seem to build ATB dramatically quicker when they're controlled, so it seems like you usually want to switch to someone else after spending some.

Informant for Shinra.

If you are going to switch characters, you have to consider what this character can do that the other can't. No reason to switch for the sake of switching if you can just keep building ATB with the character you are controlling.

You should have some reserve ATB for healing and stuff tho. Also when the enemy staggers its good to have ATB on all characters so you can do quick burst damage.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WaltherFeng posted:

If you are going to switch characters, you have to consider what this character can do that the other can't. No reason to switch for the sake of switching if you can just keep building ATB with the character you are controlling.

You should have some reserve ATB for healing and stuff tho. Also when the enemy staggers its good to have ATB on all characters so you can do quick burst damage.

Ah, I guess that's true. I've had a couple bad experience where I use ATB to attack and then don't recharge it in time to avoid dying. It just feels bad to have people plinking away with trivial damage, and it's hard to gauge who has the highest DPS (like when Cloud and Tifa are in the party it's hard to choose which to control, since they both seem to have powerful direct combat abilities).

Is Aerith the sort of character you just don't want to directly control often (and only use her skills through the menu), unless the enemy is at range (or you want to place that double spell cast thing, etc)?

It also seems like you could do some sort of kiting by switching, given the weird "active character draws aggro" thing.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Specifically on Aerith - I find myself never really using Tempest outside of a few boss fights where the boss doesn't move much. I find that I need her to have ATB more than I need her to be hitting the enemy hard, so I usually just hold down Square for continuous attacks and meter buildup.

And yes, general rule of thumb for this game is that outside of a few attacks, blocking is better to use than dodging.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

You should save unbridled strength for staggers because Tifa's triangle attacks increase the stagger multiplier

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Ytlaya posted:

And where does Elmyra sleep in that house? Two bedrooms but one's for Aerith and the other is "spare". I think she's actually a robonanny planted by Shinra to keep Aerith in place.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Marmaduke! posted:

And where does Elmyra sleep in that house? Two bedrooms but one's for Aerith and the other is "spare". I think she's actually a robonanny planted by Shinra to keep Aerith in place.

I think there's a door on the first floor you can't open

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

SlimGoodbody posted:

I think there's a door on the first floor you can't open

Yeah, it's the door to her charging station.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I religiously make sure all jukeboxes play the Stamp song

Is the Stamp song still in Japanese with the dub, or did they actually dub it?

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

The dub has an English version of the song. It sounds like it was sung by a Japanese singer (same as the JP version?)

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

KVeezy3 posted:

The hole in this theory is the idea that Hojo could build a functional mombot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Caidin posted:

The hole in this theory is the idea that Hojo could build a functional mombot.

well, he could, for a surpassingly broad definition of the word “functional”

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

KVeezy3 posted:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Oxxidation posted:

well, he could, for a surpassingly broad definition of the word “functional”

Programmed in multiple techniques.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ytlaya posted:

square is murdering anyone uploading non-ingame copies of the OST it seems, since every track that was in my music playlist got blown up, but here's the english version of Stamp. definitely a japanese singer, but it's still great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xSrhbUH4OQ

quote:

Bow wow wow
Bow wow wow

He's a good boy who never stops
Keeping the city safe for each and everyone

Bow wow wow
Bow wow wow

'Cuz now he's kicking bad guy butt
Knock an adversary into the next week

Go all out (go all out), go all out Lil' Stamp
You've got so much courage and everybody thinks you are swell
Even though you get distracted by a treat thrown in the way
Even though you don't remember how to sit or how to stay

Fight for us (fight for us), fight for us Lil' Stamp
You just stand on four legs and you're the hero that we need
Even though you're always tempted by a tender meaty bone
Even though you bark at nothing when you think you're all alone

Go all out Lil' Stamp (go all out Lil' Stamp)
Fight for us Lil' Stamp (fight for us Lil' Stamp)

If only we could have such big hearts
And take a stand at Shinra

If only we could have such big hearts
And take a stand at Shinra

(Repeat)

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Question.

The Stagger Effect Pt.1 Use unique abilities on staggered enemies and charge the ATB gauge 10 times.

I don't understand what this one means. Is it just getting atb bar filled 10 times versus a staggered foe? Also do these Chedley report challenges work for any character who does it?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Ulio posted:

Question.

The Stagger Effect Pt.1 Use unique abilities on staggered enemies and charge the ATB gauge 10 times.

I don't understand what this one means. Is it just getting atb bar filled 10 times versus a staggered foe? Also do these Chedley report challenges work for any character who does it?

So it basically means to stagger a foe, and then use the Triangle commands on that foe to build a full ATB bar on a character (I believe those abilities in general give more ATB gauge when hitting a staggered foe). Do that 10 times. Any character that does it will contribute to the challenge total.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
As somebody who just finished this game, I have one thing to say.

Cloud is such a loving dork. It’s kinda amazing

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

The fastest way to do that stagger challenge is to use Barret’s overcharge, each hit counts so you get like 4 credits per use.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That always had me wondering, like a lot. Real reason is probably that they wanted Aerith's house to match with the magic of her character so she had this special place, but that didn't prevent me from overthinking it.

I'm not sure the same happens in the US, but at least here some stonemasons who live in rural areas/outskirts can have pretty luxurious houses compared to what you'd expect from their financial situation. They also tend to be pretty good with saving money. My grandmother never left the community in which she lived and instead just kept iterating on her place and by now she lives in a really big and expensive-looking house. Since she doesn't live in a privileged place I'm not sure how much market value it has but it looks pretty good. But she lives in the city outskirts on flat terrain, buildings in the actual favelas all suck, I've never seen anything special because I don't think there's enough of a decent foundation in the mountains to build something that isn't gonna collapse anytime.

So I dunno, in my head the relatively flat terrain of the slums in Midgar should allow for those aberrations to happen. Or maybe fighting in the war for Shinra pays hilariously well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

A weird little detail I never paid attention to before. Some Shinra employees including managers live in the slums.

That's a bit ironic.