Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
wrong thread lol

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Don't know who recommended the Pure Protein bars in the thread but drat, these are nice!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

priznat posted:

My shredded parmesan has mold in it and the expiry is in october, costco will refund that right? Never gotten a food refund from them before.

That stuff molds like crazy; I’m done buying it. I only got it because the giant Parmesan chunks they sale are too drat big and it turns into a rock before I use it all. I think I’ll just get my Parmesan somewhere else in quantities I’ll actually use.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

david_a posted:

That stuff molds like crazy; I’m done buying it. I only got it because the giant Parmesan chunks they sale are too drat big and it turns into a rock before I use it all. I think I’ll just get my Parmesan somewhere else in quantities I’ll actually use.

Yah I’m so used to the kraft stuff that lasts forever. Oh well. If I had known I would have vacuum sealed most of it and frozen but now I’ll probably just buy smaller amounts from the regular grocery store. My wife and kids actually complained that I got this over the kraft powder style, philistines!

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
One time we found a powdered dry Parmesan that had no cellulose and such. It was from Cello the same company that makes the Parmesan crisps (whisps?) we sometimes find there. It was really quite good for a shelf-stable dry Parmesan, but we only saw it one time so I guess it wasn't popular enough.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I got a Costco kraft parm jar in my fridge right now :grin:

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

i buy the wedges of parmesan and pecorino romano from costco, cut them up into 4 chunks, put each chunks in a baggie and toss them in the freezer

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

david_a posted:

Haha, you almost got me! I mean what kind of person doesnt use a microplane for wonderful, beautiful fresh parm!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Clavavisage posted:

Haha, you almost got me! I mean what kind of person doesnt use a microplane for wonderful, beautiful fresh parm!

I’m going back to buying chunks of Parmesan just not from CostCo because I don’t use it often enough. I’m too stubborn to throw away food if it’s technically edible but that enormous block wasn’t fun by the end and very, very far from fresh. My tiny freezer is already overflowing so I don’t need to clog it up with chunks of cheese that will be in there forever.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

priznat posted:

Yeah I do have one even although it is sucking less lately (heh) for whatever reason. I guess it isn’t as ageless as the usual lovely parm powder I get.

Mine does this every once in awhile, prolly from juices just getting into the air intake, but I’ve had success with putting in a drop of rubbing alcohol between bags.

I figure the solvent helps loosen up whatever is in there

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I plan on buying way too many refrigerated kirkland hot dogs tomorrow and eating them all myself for the 4th of July. Anyone else?

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT
I only bought a costco gold membership so I can get discounted chocolate bars and 13-14oz bags of beef jerky. What other goodies should I buy to better maximize my gluttony membership?

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I plan on buying way too many refrigerated kirkland hot dogs tomorrow and eating them all myself for the 4th of July. Anyone else?

Are you a fan or, or are Joey Chestnut by any chance?

FanofPortals fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 30, 2020

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Anything else should be considered un-American

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

seance snacks posted:

Mine does this every once in awhile, prolly from juices just getting into the air intake, but I’ve had success with putting in a drop of rubbing alcohol between bags.

I figure the solvent helps loosen up whatever is in there

I'll try something like that, good idea! Definitely needs some kind of more thorough clean.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

david_a posted:

I’m going back to buying chunks of Parmesan just not from CostCo because I don’t use it often enough. I’m too stubborn to throw away food if it’s technically edible but that enormous block wasn’t fun by the end and very, very far from fresh. My tiny freezer is already overflowing so I don’t need to clog it up with chunks of cheese that will be in there forever.

so one of the good thing about really hard cheeses like parm is that you can cut off mold and it's fine underneath. that said i'v ebeen buying the kirkland parmasean reggiano chunks (twin pack but i think its now a single-pack?) for years and i havent had aproblem with them going bad, i think you get some white spots and stuff which may be salt precipitation or mold but it's fine. you could probably freeze a chunk just fine since its low in water. it's genuinely the cheapest place to get really good parm by lb by far, trader joes is the second closest if you want a smaller chunk but it's still kinda pricy

microplane+chunk is absolutely the way to go though

also you just need to make more caesar salad and fettucini alfredo imo, if you make actual casear dressing with anchovie paste and shittons of parm, you'll blow through it so loving fast

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Rescue Toaster posted:

One time we found a powdered dry Parmesan that had no cellulose and such. It was from Cello the same company that makes the Parmesan crisps (whisps?) we sometimes find there. It was really quite good for a shelf-stable dry Parmesan, but we only saw it one time so I guess it wasn't popular enough.

Yeah that stuff was good. You could see the color difference next to super pale stuff like Kraft.

TenTonHammer
Oct 3, 2003
Davidian

:dukedog:
Question for everyone since I've been way out of the Costco loop due to virus stuff.

I love the chicken street tacos packs they are selling at my local one. Does anyone know what type of tortilla it is they use for those? Id love to get some of those just for tacos I make in general, but in my neck of the woods, the only ones you see at most stores are your standard flour tortillas that suck. And I'd totally buy that lime sauce in bulk if they sold it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

TenTonHammer posted:

Question for everyone since I've been way out of the Costco loop due to virus stuff.

I love the chicken street tacos packs they are selling at my local one. Does anyone know what type of tortilla it is they use for those? Id love to get some of those just for tacos I make in general, but in my neck of the woods, the only ones you see at most stores are your standard flour tortillas that suck. And I'd totally buy that lime sauce in bulk if they sold it.
I believe they do sell that now! Look around the refrigerated area.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Yeah they sell two packs of “cilantro lime crema” at my Church, is that’s the same sauce that’s in the premade taco kits

seance snacks fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 30, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Are you not able to buy corn tortillas anywhere near you?

Also, I guess the half sheet cakes are gone for good
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/29/business/costco-half-sheet-cake-coronavirus/index.html

Circle cakes are still in though

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Regarding my taking the moldy parm back, I say that we can dump it and I will just take the container back, whereas my wife says they will think I am scamming them and we need to keep this moldy parm around and I gotta drive it to costco to hand to them during the return. They don’t give a gently caress, right? I would think they would prefer I not being moldy crud back.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Are you not able to buy corn tortillas anywhere near you?

Also, I guess the half sheet cakes are gone for good
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/29/business/costco-half-sheet-cake-coronavirus/index.html

Circle cakes are still in though

I want to propose new quarter-sheet cakes as a compromise to social distancing efforts.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

priznat posted:

Regarding my taking the moldy parm back, I say that we can dump it and I will just take the container back, whereas my wife says they will think I am scamming them and we need to keep this moldy parm around and I gotta drive it to costco to hand to them during the return. They don’t give a gently caress, right? I would think they would prefer I not being moldy crud back.

Call the store and ask. If you don't wanna take it with you then take a picture.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
:wow:

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
I would probably get a Costco tattoo if it was subtle and funny enough. That's how strong my love of the church is.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

seance snacks posted:

Yeah they sell two packs of “cilantro lime crema” at my Church, is that’s the same sauce that’s in the premade taco kits

The other day we sous vide puddle cooked some of the frozen ono from the 'co with lime juice and chili, and ate fish tacos with the cilantro lime crema, corn tortillas, and shredded cabbage.

It was fantastic. That stuff rules on fish tacos.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

priznat posted:

My understanding is they immediately trash all the food anyone returns regardless. I bought some Hawaiian rolls for a Christmas party once, and my wife thought it was too early and they would go bad before the party. The lady told me they had to trash them if they took them back, even if they had never been opened, so I did not return them (they were fine).

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mons Hubris posted:

My understanding is they immediately trash all the food anyone returns regardless. I bought some Hawaiian rolls for a Christmas party once, and my wife thought it was too early and they would go bad before the party. The lady told me they had to trash them if they took them back, even if they had never been opened, so I did not return them (they were fine).

I don't understand the concept of "too early to buy rolls" because rolls are delicious and it is always time for them?

:confused:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FCKGW posted:

Don't know who recommended the Pure Protein bars in the thread but drat, these are nice!

I reluctantly picked up some of the Robert Irvine bars. I say reluctantly because I've had them before and they taste just like a candy bar. So I'm skeptical of the macros. But I mean, they probably aren't lying.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mons Hubris posted:

Yeah you can make those into ham rolls at any time

Dr. Jim Sadler
Jan 6, 2006

No, the fact that -you- don't wanna wear a thong is because you're still afraid of 9/11!
Went in today and discovered the ice cream replacing the frozen yogurt was on the food court menu. This is the first time my store had anything other than pizza and hot dogs at the court since the pandemic started.

It was about $0.50 more (shareholders :argh:). It was really good though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Stopped by church on the way home today and was kinda sad to see the sample carts are back in action. They had a small sneeze guard set up, but that didn't do anything to stop the crowds of carts and people pulling down their masks to munch on stuff. Aside from that there was still 100% mask compliance from what I saw.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

Dr. Jim Sadler posted:

Went in today and discovered the ice cream replacing the frozen yogurt was on the food court menu. This is the first time my store had anything other than pizza and hot dogs at the court since the pandemic started.

It was about $0.50 more (shareholders :argh:). It was really good though.

Same at mine as well, I just can't have it because lactose :argh:. The yogurt didn't bother me.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Did a huge Costco run today in preparations for an assumed covid rebound. 100% masks and no sample carts.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Heffer posted:

Did a huge Costco run today in preparations for an assumed covid rebound. 100% masks and no sample carts.

What sort of things did you get? I should probably do the same and I’m cribbing ideas.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Gonna Costco tomorrow any hot tips

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Derpies posted:

Costco

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Derpies posted:

saw these last weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Derpies posted:

Get ahead of the curve on TP, wipes, diapers, etc.

2 pack of eggs will last you for a bit and help keep your food varied (as well as go towards any baking).

Bag of flour, sugar, and salt or any other condiments you may need.

Stock up on some pastas, rice, beans.

Tuna, spam and other canned items.

Soy milk is shelf stable and will last until 2021, but refrigerate once you open one.

Tilapia cutlets just need some lemon juice and light salt in an air fryer for a quick and healthy meal.

Those bags of rotisserie chicken meat are handy.

And Bitchin Sauce + pita chips for fatassing.