Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

im gonna buy the biggest, dumbest, most expensive gpu Nvidia launches even though i already have a 2080 and only play poo poo like Path of Exile and rimworld cause im a big ol goo-goo-ga-ga poo poo for brains baby who likes toys i dont need

~gamer pride~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

For me personally I hope the power draw isn't much higher. I'm planning on upgrading 1080ti to 3080ti/3090 (whichever is available on release) but wondering about power requirements. I know the 2080ti already draws around 50w more, which is kinda making me jittery about the prospect of needing a new PSU as well

If you're already running your PSU that close to the edge, just get a new PSU: regardless of the posted numbers, both cards will be able to spike power demand well above average/sustained loads, and a questionable PSU ain't gonna like that.

What PSU do you have, anyhow, and about how old is it?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

For me personally I hope the power draw isn't much higher. I'm planning on upgrading 1080ti to 3080ti/3090 (whichever is available on release) but wondering about power requirements. I know the 2080ti already draws around 50w more, which is kinda making me jittery about the prospect of needing a new PSU as well

I habitually overshoot what the recommended PSU for my systems are by at least 100W for this reason. My current build has a 2070 Super that has 550W recommended, and am running a 750W PSU. I figure I should have headroom for CPU and GPU upgrades down the line.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

originalnickname posted:

So, no physical damage, so I decided to flash the BIOS. I of course didn't have a copy, so I found a stock FE BIOS online and flashed it.

You're a legend my friend, I am back 144hz HDR on my displayport. I don't know why I didn't think of this, but I'm sure glad you did!

How the hell? Does the bios get corrupted or something?

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Dogen posted:

No idea, I'm just happy it worked. Hopefully it stays working...

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Cygni posted:

im gonna buy the biggest, dumbest, most expensive gpu Nvidia launches even though i already have a 2080 and only play poo poo like Path of Exile and rimworld cause im a big ol goo-goo-ga-ga poo poo for brains baby who likes toys i dont need

~gamer pride~

We have the same energy. Currently using my 2080 Ti to play through Persona 4 Golden. I'm not even sure if it's leaving 2D clocks for that.

Isn't stopping me from getting a 3090 or whatever the best is when it launches, especially now that I got a Valve Index I wanna push all the frames on.

Beautiful Ninja fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 1, 2020

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Minecraft with the RTX shaders is pretty cool and I saw a build of CEMU running BOTW with custom RTX shaders that I want to try out at some point

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dogen posted:

I've heard of BIOS getting corrupted on motherboards due to age. I suppose it's also possible on a gpu

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

shrike82 posted:

Minecraft with the RTX shaders is pretty cool and I saw a build of CEMU running BOTW with custom RTX shaders that I want to try out at some point

Link to the BotW RTX?

Cemu BotW @ 3440x1440 is one of the best games I've played on my PC if not the best, here's a pic from early on before I removed a bit of the fog and bumped draw distance:

Also the best game I played on the Switch.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BOTW RTX doesn't exist, what you saw was just some ReShade-esque screenspace GI hack.

It can look decent in screenshots and carefully shot videos but invariably looks like poo poo in practice, with lighting shifting and warping all over the place as the perspective changes.

Same story with the million YouTube videos claiming to show HALF LIFE 2 RTX or whatever. It's always just ReShade SSGI + horrendous SSR that makes everything shiny because injected shaders have no context for what material things are made of.

repiv fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 1, 2020

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

repiv posted:

BOTW RTX doesn't exist, what you saw was just some ReShade-esque screenspace GI hack.

It can look decent in screenshots and carefully shot videos but invariably looks like poo poo in practice, with lighting shifting and warping all over the place as the perspective changes.

Same story with the million YouTube videos claiming to show HALF LIFE 2 RTX or whatever. It's always just ReShade SSGI + horrendous SSR that makes everything shiny because injected shaders have no context for what material things are made of.
This. So many clickbait videos of it, it just does not work well in actual gameplay.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Carecat posted:

Yeah I'm hoping to go 1080 to 3080 which should be 50%~ faster but I'm not touching a founders edition and have to brace for the fact it will cost 25% more than the 1080 did. Ti isn't even on the menu based off how insanely expensive the 2080Ti was.

Why not a founders? That cooler looks dope

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Taima posted:

Why not a founders? That cooler looks dope

10 series Founder's Edition really left some people scarred, myself included.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

jisforjosh posted:

I know you mean emotionally, but didn't GN Steve literally cut himself when trying to take apart the cooler?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

jisforjosh posted:

Oh, I had a 1070 founders, gave it to a friend and it works fine to thus day. Granted its loud as poo poo... blowers suck. What else did people not like about it?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

DrDork posted:

If you're already running your PSU that close to the edge, just get a new PSU: regardless of the posted numbers, both cards will be able to spike power demand well above average/sustained loads, and a questionable PSU ain't gonna like that.

What PSU do you have, anyhow, and about how old is it?

It's a Cougar VTX 750w PSU that's three years old. I'm sure it'll be fine. I did some googling and it seems a bunch of people recommend 650w for a 2080ti.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Does the demo have all the NVidia stuff? That was all post-release updates and companies rarely update demos.

Scratch that. It looks like the "Demo" only exists so friends can play through the game in co-op without one of them having to buy the game. I don't think it lets you do anything except connect to a friend's host. Booo.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Geemer posted:

I know you mean emotionally, but didn't GN Steve literally cut himself when trying to take apart the cooler?

steve bled for us

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
in general, is there a performance benefit (or cost) to windowed, or borderless windowed, versus full screen?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

To my extremely limited understanding windows 10 runs fullscreen games as a sort of bordered windowed anyway. I can't say I've seen a performance difference nowadays. I could a decade ago, but it doesn't seem to be a thing anymore.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
A lot of games do weird stuff when you alt-tab, but streamers tend to use borderless for capture, and it works alright.

It's 2020 and people have multiple monitors, so it's something devs should be optimizing for in the first place.

W10's "fullscreen optimization" also has its own quirks, but disabling Game Mode and all that crap should disable it.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's a Cougar VTX 750w PSU that's three years old. I'm sure it'll be fine. I did some googling and it seems a bunch of people recommend 650w for a 2080ti.

The 2080Ti draws <300W, CPU should be under 100W, everything else should be way under 100. Overclocking the CPU could get you to a 500 peak draw.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Death Stranding DLSS 2.0 (and FidelityFX CAS for non Turing havers) is official now

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/death-stranding-pc-dlss-performance-preview

DLSS Quality mode gives a ~33% speedup outside of CPU limited scenarios, and as usual the reviewer notes that Quality mode is indistinguishable from native

repiv fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 1, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Oh that's plenty. Generally when a PSU goes out of warranty you should start thinking of replacing it, but PSU's aren't the timebombs they were 15+ years ago, so even out of warranty you're usually fine for a while.

650W should give you lots of headroom still.

gradenko_2000 posted:

in general, is there a performance benefit (or cost) to windowed, or borderless windowed, versus full screen?

I rarely, but sometimes get issues with GSync in non-full screen situations, but I can't really remember the last time that happened.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

what's the latest on the intel xe gpu side of things?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

shrike82 posted:

Raja seems to be doing everything he can to show off hardware but no early numbers. No one's really optimistic that he's going to pull off something decent.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

repiv posted:

Death Stranding DLSS 2.0 (and FidelityFX CAS for non Turing havers) is official now

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/death-stranding-pc-dlss-performance-preview

DLSS Quality mode gives a ~33% speedup outside of CPU limited scenarios, and as usual the reviewer notes that Quality mode is indistinguishable from native

Stuff like this is why DLSS is subjective
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/07/why-this-months-pc-port-of-death-stranding-is-the-definitive-version/

quote:

Nvidia's DLSS, unfortunately, gets confused by this field of sparkling pixels and messes it up, turning the exposed body into a simple, black mass. Other moments and entities in the game, particularly the swirling-particle creatures known as BTs, suffer from similar issues when put through the DLSS wringer, though in many cases, these occur during live gameplay and are thus less noticeable.
Until Nvidia straightens this DLSS wrinkle up, or until the game includes a "disable DLSS for cut scenes" toggle, you'll want to favor FidelityFX CAS, which looks nearly identical to "quality DLSS" while preserving additional minute details and adding 2-3fps, to boot.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Stuff like this is why DLSS is at 2.0 and probably not stopping lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

shrike82 posted:

Stuff like this is why DLSS is subjective

I find it hard to believe that the CAS upscaler (which has no temporal integration) can trade blows with a good temporal upscaler, but we'll see I guess.

I'm getting DS on PC so I'll try it out in a few weeks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

I think the last bit o' news was the Intel marketing guy showing off being able to play BF1 at 1080p on high settings and being able to hold a steady 30 FPS on a Tiger Lake laptop, which uses Xe for graphics. Supposedly that's a little better than what mobile-Renoir can pull off under the same conditions using its Vega 8 iGPU.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The downside of deep learning (vision) models is they can fail arbitrarily even with further task domain pre-training (i.e, the game).
We're probably going to see odd artifacts on certain games for no obvious reason.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah but the downside of non-temporal upscalers like CAS is they fundamentally cannot output more detail than was in the input frame. 1080p upscaled to 4K will never resolve details that are subpixel at 1080p.

No upscaler is perfect but my money is on the methods that approximate actual supersampling using temporal integration any day.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Taima posted:

Oh, I had a 1070 founders, gave it to a friend and it works fine to thus day. Granted its loud as poo poo... blowers suck. What else did people not like about it?

For the 1080Ti the cooler just wasn't adequate at least in my situation. Loud as hell and overclocking headroom was diminished over AIB cards strictly due to thermal throttling. Don't get me wrong, the card has been amazing (especially after putting an NZXT G12 on it and mounting an AIO on it) but if I could've been patient and waited and gone with an AIB one I would.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have a GTX1080 now that is doing okay for me, but I'm considering replacing it when the new gen cards come out. One of the limitations I have that is driving me insane is the 4 monitor limit - I have 3x 4k monitors on my desk, one of which gets mirrored to a sim racing rig via a Muxlab active mirroring splitter, and a Valve Index that takes up the last port. I also have a TV mounted above my desk I would like to drive and want to have a little bit of headroom if possible. What are my options for driving 6 monitors that don't involve stupid-expensive enterprise hardware?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

repiv posted:

I find it hard to believe that the CAS upscaler (which has no temporal integration) can trade blows with a good temporal upscaler, but we'll see I guess.

I'm getting DS on PC so I'll try it out in a few weeks.

Yeah I'm very skeptical of this, but I guess we'll see? I have a 1660 so I'm glad to hear AMD's solution (which should work on all cards) is good though. But yeah, isn't it just adding a sharpening filter? It's not actually creating new pixels like DLSS is.

It's great to hear Decima seems very well optimized on the PC though. Really looking forward to Horizon, it looks great on my PS4 Pro but one aspect that the res upgrade to checkerboard 4k seemingly made even more noticeable is the horrible LOD, there's like a constant hard, bilinear filtering line 10 ft in front of you where the terrain is being formed and it's extremely apparent, being able to push that out will help the stability of the image considerably.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The cas upscaler sucks, its in borderlands 3 and its barely any better than decade old aa like FXAA, no discernible performance gain either.

I think mhw has it as well and it's a little better but you can tell its being scaled. The performance gains are colossal though.

Guess it depends on how well the developer implements it

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

KillHour posted:

I have a GTX1080 now that is doing okay for me, but I'm considering replacing it when the new gen cards come out. One of the limitations I have that is driving me insane is the 4 monitor limit - I have 3x 4k monitors on my desk, one of which gets mirrored to a sim racing rig via a Muxlab active mirroring splitter, and a Valve Index that takes up the last port. I also have a TV mounted above my desk I would like to drive and want to have a little bit of headroom if possible. What are my options for driving 6 monitors that don't involve stupid-expensive enterprise hardware?

That'll depend entirely on what the 30-series decides to do with ports. I wouldn't expect to be able to drive 6 4k monitors, though. If I understand correctly, though, the Muxlab already takes care of one monitor, so you really only are talking about 5 (3x 4k's + Index + TV). There are some stories about people being able to run 5 off a single 2080Ti via 3x DP + 1x HDMI + 1x USB-C, so you might be ok on that front.

Your best option if that doesn't work is simply to buy a cheap secondary card to run your TV off of. Pretty much any old card will work, so you're looking at like $50.

Or, you know, unplug your Index when you're not using it, and your TV when you're using your Index. If actually unplugging them is too annoying (I wouldn't want to reach around the back of my computer every time, either), maybe get a simple HDMI switch for those two so you can push-button swap between them.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm thinking my 1070 just died. It lights up when I power up, but the fans don't spin and my monitor just goes right to power save mode (nothing shows on screen). Rest of my parts are less than a year old. Anything I should try before buying a new card?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I effectively have an extra 1050ti (a smaller one), besides more ports is there any neat stuff I can do if I added it to my 1080t build ?

Tbh I mainly just shitpost and game so I guess that's my angle

I know it won't like boost performance like bolting on a turbo charger or something lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I'm thinking my 1070 just died. It lights up when I power up, but the fans don't spin and my monitor just goes right to power save mode (nothing shows on screen). Rest of my parts are less than a year old. Anything I should try before buying a new card?
Make sure you have sufficient power between your computer and the power outlet. Could be an extension that's bottlenecking your power. If you haven't already, try connecting the computer directly to a power outlet and see if anything changes.