Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Someone posted this old A1 steak sauce add here on the forums. The recipe looks, uh... interesting? I've never had fish in jello before

The golden fish. Beautiful, isn't it?

Gelatin, mayo and a1 in the double boiler.

Celery, onions and tuna whisked in.

Mold has been filled.

In the fridge to set.

It's out! Gorgeous

The jello fish in its natural habitat

Homemade bougie crackers

At this point, people were curious...

It's pretty good. It tastes kinda ketchupy. The a1 doesn't really come through. It's underseasoned, so it's a little bland. The recipe only calls for a 1/4 teaspoon of salt, I assume because the sugar lobby had convinced america that the salt was the worst thing for you. It's rich because of the massive amounts of cream cheese and mayo. It tastes very savory because there is a decent amount of tuna in it and also the gelatin is basically meat broth. People liked the taste, but said it could do with more crunch.

The sort of baffling part is the recipe also has you make a "dressing," which is just a1 and mayo. I uh, don't see how or when you'd want to involve the dressing in this. I think its just because the main recipe only has 2 tablespoons of a1, and the a1 company wanted you to use up more of their product when making it. I made the dressing and I'll tell you home cooks: don't bother. It didn't get touched. I eventually used it in coleslaw.

I plan to make the jello fish again but with more salt, fresh salmon instead of tuna, homemade dill pickles, and homemade cream cheese instead of philly. The mayo was already homemade. I think with those ingredient changes and a bit more fresh veggies we can increase the flavor and improve the texture while keeping the pleasing richness and spreadability.

It got devoured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That last picture

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Was expecting a Cosby thread

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
that rules.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

drat, I was just expecting the first picture and a thread full of "lol fish jello", but you came out full force. :waycool:

This is really making me want some smoked fish dip.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat that is the most disgusting thing ive ever heard of, congrats. :tipshat:

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I wanted to poo poo all over this OP, but it seems to have made you or some nice lady very happy, so good job.

Did you just happen to have this weird bronze fish?

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

This is both deeply offensive and arousing.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Getting a little fishy in GBS.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Thanks!

pseudorandom posted:

drat, I was just expecting the first picture and a thread full of "lol fish jello", but you came out full force. :waycool:

This is really making me want some smoked fish dip.

Yeah, it'd probably be good with smoked fish too.

Biohazard posted:

I wanted to poo poo all over this OP, but it seems to have made you or some nice lady very happy, so good job.

Did you just happen to have this weird bronze fish?

When I saw the recipe I searched and there was one for sale on etsy for like $13. Apparently this is part of a set of Jello molds which some people collect. My wife was into making it so I bought it.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

I love it! Was it served cold or allowed to come to room temp?

So do you think you could swap the tuna for crab? How about adding smoked kippers or salmon into the mix in place of some of the tuna?

Side note, based on the fish, gelatin and corn salad, I expect you'll have a very fine poop.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I admire your can-do attitude and well done posting style.

I'm pretty sure this is breaking one of those seals on the gates to hell to start the apocalypse though.

Proceed with caution maybe?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I want to know more about that corn salad

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Internetjack posted:

I admire your can-do attitude and well done posting style.

I'm pretty sure this is breaking one of those seals on the gates to hell to start the apocalypse though.

Proceed with caution maybe?

gently caress that, eat all the weird poo poo, hail Satan

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sous Videodrome posted:

Thanks!
Yeah, it'd probably be good with smoked fish too.

Yes. Google smoked salmon mousse. I make it every year for xmas as a pre dinner appetizer for everyone to snack on. Smoked salmon, cream cheese (or heavy cream), dill, avocado, lemon juice, served the same way you did with cucumber slices/crackers. Its real good, OP.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Biohazard posted:

That is the look of someone who is being exceedingly polite friend

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

I love it! Was it served cold or allowed to come to room temp?

So do you think you could swap the tuna for crab? How about adding smoked kippers or salmon into the mix in place of some of the tuna?

Side note, based on the fish, gelatin and corn salad, I expect you'll have a very fine poop.

Out of the fridge + the car ride to our friend's house. So, cold but not too cold.

Crab would be interesting. I'd probably go crab + artichoke and drop out the tomato soup.

I think salmon would be excellent

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Hold up OP, did you add the A1 and mayo to the mold or make a dressing like they show in the photo?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I made a gottdang furger and ate it, I drank soy sauce soda and drank it, and this is still way too much for me :(

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Meat jelly is a traditional Slav food

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Colonel Cancer posted:

We Americans, besides being extremely apathetic and racist, can appropriate other cultures like nobody's business.

I recall my grandparents making various meats in gelatin, especially pickled pork meats - my grandfather being Italian and my grandmother being Polish. When I was much younger, I thought these meals were utterly disgusting but now that I have hair growing in places where women fear to tread, I might give these recipes a second chance if I can get them from my relatives.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

also, what's going on over here, OP? a house bun or wee doggo?

Lil Devil
Feb 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As an aside, why do midwesterners like Jello so much?

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Lil Devil posted:

As an aside, why do midwesterners like Jello so much?

:agreed:
Someone please explain. Also, why is "pretzel salad" not considered jello/gelatin but IS considered a type of salad?

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Hold up OP, did you add the A1 and mayo to the mold or make a dressing like they show in the photo?

Both! A1 and mayo is in the recipe, and a1 and mayo is the dressing.

also, what's going on over here, OP? a house bun or wee doggo?

That's Sadie, she's one of my friend's dogs.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yeah, my friend who has spent a lot of time in Russia said that they made jellied meat there. He didn't seem too impressed with anything he'd had.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
jello, can you hear me?
i'm at my fridge dreaming about what i used to eat
when i was thinner and free
i've forgotten how it felt before the jello fell at our feet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Why do so many people name their dogs sadie