Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Pencils R Cool posted:

FFXV chat - I finally got around to installing the base game and holy poo poo, there's a lot of DLC. Is there any that's recommended for a first-time playthrough?

I think the Royal Edition upgrade is generally recommended, as I think it fills out some areas a fair bit, and gives a fair amount of extra options and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
Okay cool, I'll probably get the Royal Pack then. I don't mind paying for the occasional DLC, especially because I got this game as a gift like 2 years ago so I didn't even purchase it myself.

I'm guessing it's set up this way because in true Square fashion the game went through development hell? Pretty sure I read somewhere that it was originally a FFXIII spin-off that somehow became it's own thing?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it definitely had problems in development, and it shows, but what can you do? the good parts are really fuckin good, and the bad parts are a drag. it has a lot of holes in the story because i think you're supposed to read/know a lot of things about the setting beforehand, but just ignore that and play road trip simulator 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Schwartzcough posted:

Yes. You want to use the mist charges to "chain" together as many quickening attacks as possible before time runs out. The more you chain together, the better the final attack at the end will be. It's been years since I played, but:

Your characters all have up to 3 mist charges they can unlock through the record board. Each character will have a level 1 quickening attack that uses 1 charge, a level 2 that uses 2, and a level 3 that uses 3. Every time an attack starts, you get a random set of quickening options for each character, or a 'mist charge' option. If you randomly roll a level 2 quickening for a character but they only have 1 mist charge left, you can't use it. "Mist charge" will restore mist charges. If you don't get anything you can use, you can "reroll" for a new set of options, but that takes a second or two. There is a total time limit for your quickening chain, so you have to be quick in picking your options.

One thing to note, the characters' attacks and the final burst suggest elements but everything's nonelemental. That was a headache when I first played the game, thought I had to target weaknesses.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FF15 felt super unfinished at launch and the patches and royal edition apparently make it feel less unfinished?

I’d like to play them sometime but I actually played a LOT of unpatched FF15 for some reason

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

FF15 felt super unfinished at launch and the patches and royal edition apparently make it feel less unfinished?

I’d like to play them sometime but I actually played a LOT of unpatched FF15 for some reason

i played the game after the royal edition came out, and it still feels unfinished in terms of story and structure, but what's there is more polished. the game has a great emotional core in the boys, and i had fun playing it, but you can tell that the development was super troubled

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Yes. You want to use the mist charges to "chain" together as many quickening attacks as possible before time runs out. The more you chain together, the better the final attack at the end will be. It's been years since I played, but:

Your characters all have up to 3 mist charges they can unlock through the record board. Each character will have a level 1 quickening attack that uses 1 charge, a level 2 that uses 2, and a level 3 that uses 3. Every time an attack starts, you get a random set of quickening options for each character, or a 'mist charge' option. If you randomly roll a level 2 quickening for a character but they only have 1 mist charge left, you can't use it. "Mist charge" will restore mist charges. If you don't get anything you can use, you can "reroll" for a new set of options, but that takes a second or two. There is a total time limit for your quickening chain, so you have to be quick in picking your options.

Also you can get a special finisher if you do certain combos. 3 level 1 quickenings is the most basic one.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
One trick that was possible only in the original version of the game was to only unlock the level 1 quickenings for characters but to also unlock a level 3 Esper for each. This way you have three charges for quickenings, but only the level 1 will ever show up allowing you to chain together a ton of level 1s.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

oh so all rabbit people dress and talk like that

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
They have talked to the forest, and the forest loves butts.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

oh so all rabbit people dress and talk like that

The FFTA Viera outfits are way cooler and they should have used those.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Elephant Ambush posted:

:hai:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Elephant Ambush posted:

oh I wasn't complaining

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I'm 20 hours into FF13 now and while I haven't quite gotten to the fabled "good bit" yet it's been a pretty cool 15 hours. The raid on the Palamecia was great and finally being able to choose party members is making things really interesting now.

The Fal'cie was a real good boss fight as well though he did kill me about 10 times while I refined my strategy. I started with Lightning, Fang and Vanille but it turns out debuffs are useless on bosses now and I always got wrecked on phase 2. I eventually managed to beat him with Lightning, Suds and Hope without too much trouble once I figured out phase 3 properly.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

They have talked to the forest, and the forest loves butts.

Forest has good taste.

RillAkBea posted:

I'm 20 hours into FF13 now and while I haven't quite gotten to the fabled "good bit" yet it's been a pretty cool 15 hours. The raid on the Palamecia was great and finally being able to choose party members is making things really interesting now.

The Fal'cie was a real good boss fight as well though he did kill me about 10 times while I refined my strategy. I started with Lightning, Fang and Vanille but it turns out debuffs are useless on bosses now and I always got wrecked on phase 2. I eventually managed to beat him with Lightning, Suds and Hope without too much trouble once I figured out phase 3 properly.

The Palamecia is probably the best plot part in the game. FFXIII is a game that lives and dies on its characters but the Palamecia was at least one really good story segment from start to finish.

There's one more coming up but, depending on how much side stuff you want to do, it's a ways away.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nap Ghost
IMO the Palamecia is the "good part" you have to wait for because it's when you get access to everyone and can change your party. It's also a really fun sequence of fights and then there's the scene where Fang and Vanille are reunited and I love that scene so much. :kimchi:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/Jacobbles/status/1278279203645874180?s=20

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Just started up FFTA and it somehow seems way tighter and better now. Main problem I have right now is that it seems like you unlock your classes real early so there’s very little progression by way of getting new tools but also progression by way of getting stronger is solid and consistent. It’s good poo poo.

I still haven’t played FFTA2, that’s my next one.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Unlocking classes isn't as important as unlocking skills for them, which is pretty heavily gated by mission progress (or doing the trick to get an early cinquedea).

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

jokes posted:

Just started up FFTA and it somehow seems way tighter and better now. Main problem I have right now is that it seems like you unlock your classes real early so there’s very little progression by way of getting new tools but also progression by way of getting stronger is solid and consistent. It’s good poo poo.

FFTA2 is one of Square Enix best games.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Agents are GO! posted:

FFTA2 is one of Square Enix best games.

Hard agree

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Homora Gaykemi posted:

i played the game after the royal edition came out, and it still feels unfinished in terms of story and structure, but what's there is more polished. the game has a great emotional core in the boys, and i had fun playing it, but you can tell that the development was super troubled

absurdly troubled development pretty much describes mainline FF's in general starting from 12.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

jokes posted:

I recognize how technically good FFTA and FFTA2 are - Front Mission 3 is my favorite in the tactics genre though because you can literally punch a guy out of a robot.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I never played the FFTA games because I had the same idiotic reaction to them that I did to FF9: "Tactics was a serious game about adults and politics and religion, no way I'm playing this game of little kids doing make believe" :smug:

Maybe I should revisit them

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The FFTA games were okay, but I still liked FFT a lot more.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Gameplay wise they're great, I had about 100 hours into each back in the day.

I find it kind of funny in retrospect how FFTA was basically a dream world created by a kid who loved Final Fantasy XII but because of that games troubled development it came out like 2 holy poo poo almost three years before FF12.

And then A2 muddied the waters by having actual characters from 12 show up.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFTA2 and FFTA are good games and FFT nearly ruined that for me as I almost didnt get FFTA because I disliked FFT so much.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Incredible

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also Fell Seal was on sale for $10 on Switch and it’s a pretty good FFT clone! It’s not FFT (what is) but it’s has some modern changes to the formula that are welcome.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
FFTA is one of my least favorite games I've finished, mostly since I don't tend to finish games I don't like, but as a big Tactics fan I kept hoping it'd finally get challenging or interesting at some point which it never did.

The sequel's much better though, even if the Auction system breaks that game in half if you make use of it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Barudak posted:

FFTA2 and FFTA are good games and FFT nearly ruined that for me as I almost didnt get FFTA because I disliked FFT so much.

:chloe:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also Fell Seal was on sale for $10 on Switch and it’s a pretty good FFT clone! It’s not FFT (what is) but it’s has some modern changes to the formula that are welcome.

I kind of hate Fell Seal. It makes a lot of bad decisions that I don’t like. The injury system is garbage and makes it way too easy for a unit to fall behind, and a lot of the job designs are either bland or underpowered

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

FFT is great, might be my second favorite FF*. I don't remember much from FFTA but I do remember feeling like it was watered down. Like going from Super Mario RPG to Paper Mario. Never tried A2.

*After 6. Note I haven't bothered with any FF after 7.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 2, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Final Fantasy Tactics is an excellent, top-tier FF. It's definitely top three for me.

For some reason I bounced off FFTA hard when it first came out and now I realize it is a loving dope and good game and everyone should revisit the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I never played the FFTA games because I had the same idiotic reaction to them that I did to FF9: "Tactics was a serious game about adults and politics and religion, no way I'm playing this game of little kids doing make believe" :smug:

Maybe I should revisit them

It's kind of funny how when you're a teenager or in your early 20s, you're all "i'm a tryhard adult now, only serious vidya gaems please", but then as you get older the idea of playing a game about kids having fun in a fantasy world seems a lot more appealing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've always loathed the law system in FFTA and never made it far because of that, at least in 2 it got toned down to just being for bonus stuff.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
I couldn't stand looking at Marche's hair.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Fister Roboto posted:

It's kind of funny how when you're a teenager or in your early 20s, you're all "i'm a tryhard adult now, only serious vidya gaems please", but then as you get older the idea of playing a game about kids having fun in a fantasy world seems a lot more appealing.

"When I became a man I put away my childish things, including my fear of being thought childish and my desire to appear very grown up."

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sakurazuka posted:

I've always loathed the law system in FFTA and never made it far because of that, at least in 2 it got toned down to just being for bonus stuff.

The laws are dumb restrictor-mutators, like "pistols only"in shooters and poo poo but it didn't go over well and thankfully the system is completely avoidable and, later, you don't even have to look at the laws just buy some cards. I haven't played FFTA2 but, yeah, laws are the least-cool thing in FFTA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
My embarrassing FFT story is that the first time I played I didnt realize you could put more dudes on the board than just Ramza and Delita so I kept getting my rear end kicked in the first battle.

I’d rented it and told a friend that it sucked. He apparently owned it and was like no dumbass you have to put more guys out there and I was 🤯