Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Could be Nine from Blazblue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

didn't expect the gaming #metoo thread to become a list of video game characters with big tits

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What I recall is Skullgirls launched with a ton of inappropriate cheesecake, and all/almost all of it was updated out over time as the franchise became incredibly popular and it got heat. It ironically had a relatively good reputation, (for the fighting games scene, anyways) for that set of changes. Famed NB furry pro gamer Sonicfox was recently given a cameo, that sort of thing.

(also almost all the female characters, but none of the male characters, have some sort of weird body deformation/dismemberment thing going on, but maybe I'm reading too much into that)

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 30, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
There's only two male fighters: Beowolf and Big Band.

There's a lot of characters that are the result of experiments and such, but Big Band is one of them. There's basically only three fully human characters and two of them are women.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Discendo Vox posted:

What I recall is Skullgirls launched with a ton of inappropriate cheesecake, and all/almost all of it was updated out over time as the franchise became incredibly popular and it got heat. It ironically had a relatively good reputation, (for the fighting games scene, anyways) for that set of changes. Famed NB furry pro gamer Sonicfox was recently given a cameo, that sort of thing.

They also did a thing where a KS backer who got themselves put into the game as a background character came out as trans so they updated the background figure's gender to match.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

as a mexican, this pisses me the gently caress off. goddamn gently caress mike z

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Patware posted:

didn't expect the gaming #metoo thread to become a list of video game characters with big tits

yeah. mb. I was just talking about the overall weird sexism inherent in the industry and how it doesn't surprise me that there are so many irl sex pests

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Streaming culture is loving crazy, this ended up in my feed. This Sequisha guy starts peddling his viewers nudes and people are tying their brains in knots stanning for him.

The Accusation
https://twitter.com/mrKerij/status/1277358055357890560

The Response
https://twitter.com/Sequisha/status/1277445141507330048

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

(also almost all the female characters, but none of the male characters, have some sort of weird body deformation/dismemberment thing going on, but maybe I'm reading too much into that)
None of this is true. They removed two animations because they thought they animated awkwardly, not for sex reasons. All the other fanservice-y animations were kept in the game. The entire launch cast was female and body horror was the game's main aesthetic. They added two male characters as DLC. One is a giant cyborg and one is just a guy, but there's a couple female characters who are just normal humans too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That and they copped immense amounts of poo poo for removing said animations - from the typical internet peanut gallery, not from fighting game people or people who actually played the game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skullgirls gave us my favorite tweet ever. When they announced they needed a quarter million dollars for a new character and were very transparent about why people also lost their poop with one extremely verklempt gamer informing them they were 'in the video game business, not the rent-paying business.'

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Endorph posted:

None of this is true. They removed two animations because they thought they animated awkwardly, not for sex reasons. All the other fanservice-y animations were kept in the game. The entire launch cast was female and body horror was the game's main aesthetic. They added two male characters as DLC. One is a giant cyborg and one is just a guy, but there's a couple female characters who are just normal humans too.

I stand corrected, that's mostly worse.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

lmao I just looked up the animation

this is the sixteen year old character, isn't it?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Yeah. There's some worse ones as well. One of her kicks flashes her underwear.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

lmao I just looked up the animation

this is the sixteen year old character, isn't it?

quote:

They removed two animations because they thought they animated awkwardly, not for sex reasons.

:thunk:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Hey they stuck to their principles, of sex creepin'.

Discendo Vox posted:

It ironically had a relatively good reputation, (for the fighting games scene, anyways) for that set of changes. Famed NB furry pro gamer Sonicfox was recently given a cameo, that sort of thing.

Mike Z (the subject of this whole mess) is responsible for literally every aspect of the game other than the actual art and animation, so yeah there was this funny ironic image that despite being the head of The Horniest Game the guy himself was just some weird nerd with incredibly specific and idiosyncratic options on Marvel vs Capcom 2 and grapplers. Oh well.

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 1, 2020

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

God forbid an artist be horny towards their own character

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

VostokProgram posted:

God forbid an artist be horny towards their own character

You have to admit your own character getting molested for losing a round is not the best look for this thread.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah, so we're back to this part of the skullgirls discourse.

horny art: As bad as sexual assault, or worse?

mycot posted:

You have to admit your own character getting molested for losing a round is not the best look for this thread.

Can we please keep the conversation of 'is horny bad or not' in another thread and keep this one focused on actual harm being done to people?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

That one in particular was cut before it was put in the game. What's being referred to as "awkwardly animated" is a handful of animations related to the skirts on like two characters which largely means jack poo poo in a game with everything else.

As for Mike lately, the SG community is apparently kicking his rear end out for at least two years and maybe more if he doesn't reform. I don't have any idea how it's going to go because I don't trust FGC groups to stick to their poo poo unless pushed by many people, but I'm willing to eat crow if he does change for the better.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

mycot posted:

This thread is about people who have been hurt and violated in real life, not about people drawing kinks you don't approve of. Trying to correlate one with the other is insulting to everyone involved

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Acerbatus posted:

Ah, so we're back to this part of the skullgirls discourse.

horny art: As bad as sexual assault, or worse?

Can we please keep the conversation of 'is horny bad or not' in another thread and keep this one focused on actual harm being done to people?

I'll concede that whether Skullgirls was good or not has nothing to do with the issue.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

mycot posted:

I'll concede that whether Skullgirls was good or not has nothing to do with the issue.

sure.

but that sort of male gaze-y poo poo permeates games. undoubtedly the most "feminist" ally can and will commit sexual transgressions so this isn't to say these awful things wouldn't happen if we were all "woke", but I do think it is worth considering how poo poo like above contributes to a hostile environment overall for a lot of women.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

sure.

but that sort of male gaze-y poo poo permeates games. undoubtedly the most "feminist" ally can and will commit sexual transgressions so this isn't to say these awful things wouldn't happen if we were all "woke", but I do think it is worth considering how poo poo like above contributes to a hostile environment overall for a lot of women.
One of the people who got creeped on by mikez started contact with him by literally dming him to say how much she liked the fanservice. Most of the art direction on skullgirls involves female employees. Mikez is the one who pulled that animation posted above and told them not to put stuff that went that far in.

There is a place for that conversation sure but this is maybe literally the least useful context for it.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 1, 2020

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

sure.

Absolutely. The designs and animations that encourage leering at women in so many games leads to these frequently predominantly male spaces, such as the fighting game community, reacting to women who enter as another thing to leer at.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Endorph posted:

One of the people who got creeped on by mikez started contact with him by literally dming him to say how much she liked the fanservice. Most of the art direction on skullgirls involves female employees. Mikez is the one who pulled that animation posted above and told them not to put stuff that went that far in.

There is a place for that conversation sure but this is maybe literally the least useful context for it.

there is one woman listed as a lead artist, the rest are male. not "most".

which, whatever, I don't feel like this is worth getting in the weeds on. my point is that this is reliant on self-selected women and is overall limiting, and those who do self-select and don't mind this atmosphere keep getting harassed and worse by the dudes in control of this industry

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wendell posted:

Absolutely. The designs and animations that encourage leering at women in so many games leads to these frequently predominantly male spaces, such as the fighting game community, reacting to women who enter as another thing to leer at.
Which explains why the fighting game community with the most women in it is noted woman respecting franchise, dead or alive

Again im not saying theres literally zero correlation or anything but the motive/origin system here is all kinds of messed up, and the mindsrt you guys are leaning into also tends to punish women and female designers/artists long before it tells men not to be creeps. Its just women being victimized all the way down

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Endorph posted:

Which explains why the fighting game community with the most women in it is noted woman respecting franchise, dead or alive

Again im not saying theres literally zero correlation or anything but the motive/origin system here is all kinds of messed up, and the mindsrt you guys are leaning into also tends to punish women and female designers/artists long before it tells men not to be creeps. Its just women being victimized all the way down

You do this constantly. You want to keep games and anime as creep-pandering as possible and hide behind, “actually, WOMEN are involved!!!! Women LOVE it!!!! Women are sad you said that :(

I’m going to finally put you on ignore, as I am completely sick of seeing your disingenuous posts all across the board.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Wendell posted:

You do this constantly. You want to keep games and anime as creep-pandering as possible and hide behind, “actually, WOMEN are involved!!!! Women LOVE it!!!! Women are sad you said that :(

I’m going to finally put you on ignore, as I am completely sick of seeing your disingenuous posts all across the board.

Lol

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Wendell posted:

Endorph is a woman

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

VostokProgram posted:

This thread is about people who have been hurt and violated in real life, not about people drawing kinks you don't approve of. Trying to correlate one with the other is insulting to everyone involved

Pedophilia isn't a kink.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wendell posted:

I'm a woman who sometimes enjoy this kind of stuff and have many female friends who do. It is fine not to like it but I am speaking from an experience of having female content creators that I am friends or am acquainted with be harassed or mocked for making things they enjoy. And by 'things they enjoy' I mostly just mean 'drawing a titty.'

You're free to put me on ignore but this is kind of exactly the kind of behavior that I mean when I say that thinking this stuff is automatically bad or is a direct throughline to sexism mostly leads to women being mocked or accused of things long before it leads to any consequences for men who go too far, or any kind of nuanced conversation on what is and isn't acceptable, and whether or not acceptable is the same thing as harmful. You can disagree with me on that but calling me a 'creep' and 'disingenuous' is pretty garbage.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Wendell posted:

I don't really want to cheerlead but lol.

Discussing how women can actually like a boob too and how shaming or othering women for being involved in or liking sexualized art is sexism and leads to further victimization of women seems like a fairly salient point and it is kind of lovely to shut down the discussion by calling them disingenuous and implying they are a creep

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 1, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Endorph posted:

You're free to put me on ignore but this is kind of exactly the kind of behavior that I mean when I say that thinking this stuff is automatically bad or is a direct throughline to sexism mostly leads to women being mocked or accused of things long before it leads to any consequences for men who go too far, or any kind of nuanced conversation on what is and isn't acceptable, and whether or not acceptable is the same thing as harmful. You can disagree with me on that but calling me a 'creep' and 'disingenuous' is pretty garbage.

I agree with this post. But I do think that one sprite is bad. Not automatically, but because it depicts an underage character's clothes being ripped against her will. To borrow your terminology, I don't think it's necessarily harmful, since it's done in the spirit of cheese and isn't taken too seriously, but I don't think it's acceptable.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Wendell posted:

Its funny as hell that you assume everyone you're arguing with is male.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I agree with this post. But I do think that one sprite is bad. Not automatically, but because it depicts an underage character's clothes being ripped against her will. To borrow your terminology, I don't think it's necessarily harmful, since it's done in the spirit of cheese and isn't taken too seriously, but I don't think it's acceptable.
I think at the very least that animation is a bad fit for the game since the game's going for goofy cheesecake and it's pretty mean spirited, agreed. The sprite was never implemented into the game though, it wasn't one of the sprites that was removed/changed at a later date, it was just never used in the game at all. So I don't know why it was brought up, especially since the person accused of being a creep is the person who said it shouldn't be in the game.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ignoring women in the #MeToo thread

It's not an artist's fault that Mike Z, a 37 year old software engineer, is a maladjusted pervert.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

But the thing is Mike Z 37 year old maladjusted pervert, was actually the one that made the decision to cut the animation so using it as evidence to call him a pervert is dumb.

Edit: putting this back because it was quoted, but it was a bad shoot my bad

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 1, 2020

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hub Cat posted:

But the thing is Mike Z 37 year old maladjusted pervert, was actually the one that made the decision to cut the animation so using it as evidence to call him a pervert is dumb.

Exactly, I agree with you. The content of the game is pretty irrelevant to his behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Sleeveless posted:

I'm not shocked at all because anime.

Anime is good, actually.