Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I guess CKIII is going to be on the PC Gamepass because it showed up on the feed today. I saw it pop up on the new release list and was like "Oh poo poo did that come out already??" and looked to see it's not out for another two months :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

explosivo posted:

I guess CKIII is going to be on the PC Gamepass because it showed up on the feed today. I saw it pop up on the new release list and was like "Oh poo poo did that come out already??" and looked to see it's not out for another two months :confused:

Yeah it'll be launching immediately onto Gamepass. Which even as someone who thinks Paradox is fine, it will be nice to just see if it's vastly lacking content or anything like that without buying it immediately.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
If you want to brag about a steam review you wrote, do it here and I’ll gift you some stickers. I’ve already spent the steam points I want to spend.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

El_Elegante posted:

If you want to brag about a steam review you wrote, do it here and I’ll gift you some stickers. I’ve already spent the steam points I want to spend.

ICEY loving blows

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

El_Elegante posted:

New Vegas is the best game

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So i pick up dead space 3 thinking why the hell not, it's cheap and i might as well have everything on steam.

However much to my dismay it just loving boots up origin not even as a DRM but as a launcher for the loving thing.

How do i know this?

Well, i've discovered a bit of a bug with windows 10 detecting controllers. If i have both apps open and launch a game on steam, no controller issues and everything works fine.

On the other hand launching a game from origin while steam is active causes the the controller detection to mess up and it treats the controller like it's controlling the mouse and controller operating at the same time.

Not only do i already have dead space 3 on Origina, but basically the "Steam" version of dead space 3 (and pretty much any other controller based EA game) is functionally unplayable.

Good loving job EA.

One step forward, one head promptly shoved up arse.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

El_Elegante posted:

Disco Elysium is a game

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Supraland is an absolute bargain at its current price, but I'm mostly just flagging it up to tell people that theres a DLC out on the 3rd of July and that its very good from what I've played of it.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Man, I have to get back to Disco Elysium. I started it a while ago but put it down because I was in a really bad headspace and it just wasn't doing me any favors at that moment. Of course, instead of playing that right now I just bought like a half dozen new games because woohoo steam sale

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I really appreciate how EDF 4.1 has multiple running storylines? Like, it's not a story-focused game but there's radio chatter, mission briefings, and missions are themed around things and it swaps between them a bunch.

Here are the storylines so far, as of mission 40:

- motherships / we have to bring them down as they keep showing off their cool alien tech
- how the hell do we stop godzilla
- giant insects! either blow up their tunnels or infiltrate their nests
- wing divers are awesome, now help rescue them as the giant insects show off their spider allies
- "there's SO MANY OF THEM"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

We can never let the Giant In-Sects take over the Earth

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

El_Elegante posted:

game

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I really appreciate how EDF 4.1 has multiple running storylines? Like, it's not a story-focused game but there's radio chatter, mission briefings, and missions are themed around things and it swaps between them a bunch.

Here are the storylines so far, as of mission 40:

- motherships / we have to bring them down as they keep showing off their cool alien tech
- how the hell do we stop godzilla
- giant insects! either blow up their tunnels or infiltrate their nests
- wing divers are awesome, now help rescue them as the giant insects show off their spider allies
- "there's SO MANY OF THEM"

The radio chatter and soldier banter is excellent

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I'm out of ammo!
That's IMPOSSIBLE!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Am I an idiot for considering buying a :pcgaming::siren:gaming chair:siren::pcgaming:? Specifically a Secretlab one, I've been hearing good things about them.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mordja posted:

Am I an idiot for considering buying a :pcgaming::siren:gaming chair:siren::pcgaming:? Specifically a Secretlab one, I've been hearing good things about them.

Curious too because it seems like they'd be good for tall people. Normal office chairs are just too short for me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mordja posted:

Maintaining good posture and being comfortable while gaming is good, yes. Dunno if you need a gaming chair for that but it's your wallet

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Someone who knows about gaming chairs more than me can answer but I’d imagine an equally priced ergonomic office chair might have better quality control and long term usefulness. Only say that because things with “gaming” in the prefix tend to be iffy.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

can you control the game by flexing your buttcheeks?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I have owned a few gaming chairs through a combination of personal idiocy and the office getting rid of them, and Secretlab's are the only ones I've ever sat in that didn't feel like poo poo. They're actually pretty solid and comfortable and avoid a lot of the foibles that other things in the industry fall into.

That said,

buglord posted:

Someone who knows about gaming chairs more than me can answer but I’d imagine an equally priced ergonomic office chair might have better quality control and long term usefulness. Only say that because things with “gaming” in the prefix tend to be iffy.

this is generally pretty true, the only real difference is if you want a high-backed/headresty office chair, a lot of the commensurately priced ones are kind of iffy and you have to go an extra $100 or so to get to decent quality.

If you ever have an absolutely stupid amount of money to spend on a chair, get a Steelcase Leap or Gesture. Best chairs I've ever sat in.

hulk hooligan
Jun 13, 2020

buy my pasta
Hey, so I'm going through my summer sale shopping cart before I buy everything, and I have a couple of questions!

Endless Legend: is the Starter Pack enough, or is the Collection bundle a better starting point?

Crusader Kings II: same thing, is the Dynasty Starter Pack enough to get started with, or do I need to get more of the DLC?

Fallout 4: am I missing much if I skip the DLC in this one and just get the base game?

No Man's Sky: I've wanted to play this for ages, is 30 a good price for what you get, or should I wait for further price drops?

Battletech: is this another situation where you need to get the DLC to enjoy it, or is the base game just fine?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Mordja posted:

Am I an idiot for considering buying a :pcgaming::siren:gaming chair:siren::pcgaming:?
Yes. Just buy an office chair, it'll be cheaper and better.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I successfully peer pressured 3 of my co-op gaming friends to buy Deeprock Galactic and we had a fuckin' blast tonight. There's always a lot of pressure when I try to get my friends into stuff because it doesn't always stick but I think we'll be playing this for a while. This game is so much fun when you can get a team together, working together to move around efficiently is real satisfying when everyone meshes. I will also say that unlike most games of this type you can totally have a good time playing this game solo too. Your drone mines what you point it at so it becomes a pretty chill experience I have found goes great with watching some bullshit on your other monitor while you play.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CarlCX posted:

If you ever have an absolutely stupid amount of money to spend on a chair, get a Steelcase Leap or Gesture. Best chairs I've ever sat in.

I shelled out for a Gesture shortly after mandatory WFH started. It's easily one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

hulk hooligan posted:

Battletech: is this another situation where you need to get the DLC to enjoy it, or is the base game just fine?

The campaign is a decent enough romp, but the DLC turns Career mode (basically a free-roam mode) from a short-lived side distraction to the main feature of the game, with both procedural and handcrafted missions with their own stories and such. It's really fun and gives the game a lot of content.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

hulk hooligan posted:

Hey, so I'm going through my summer sale shopping cart before I buy everything, and I have a couple of questions!

Endless Legend:is the Starter Pack enough, or is the Collection bundle a better starting point?

Absolutely enough to enjoy the game, it's basically all the normal features being fluffed out; so every expansion from there on out adds a major gameplay aspect and a faction that specializes in it.

I'd make a comment about how the 'kitchen sink' option is good value (if a lot of content), but I'm too busy slamming the buy button on the "everything by Amplitude, all of it" button for only 25 bucks, goddamn.

edit: Ck2 is now free, so I suggest playing the game for a bit to see if you like it. Ask again in the Ck2 thread for specifics on the DLC. Be aware that paradox's business model is based around nickel-and-diming people with infinite DLC, so it might be wise to not touch any of it as they add up to over a comical $300...

Serephina fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 1, 2020

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

hulk hooligan posted:

Crusader Kings II: same thing, is the Dynasty Starter Pack enough to get started with, or do I need to get more of the DLC?

The content in the Dynasty Starter pack will give you more than enough to get started with (it includes Way of Life which for a newcomer to CK2 I feel is probably the only mandatory DLC as it fleshes out a chunk of the game).
The CK2 thread here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874093 has a pretty good overview of what each DLC pack adds, if there's anything that jumps out at you/sounds great you might as well grab it now while the sale is on but you absolutely don't need any of it to enjoy the game.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

hulk hooligan posted:

Hey, so I'm going through my summer sale shopping cart before I buy everything, and I have a couple of questions?

Fallout 4: am I missing much if I skip the DLC in this one and just get the base game?
Only the Far Harbor sidequest is any good but it might be cheaper to get the GOTY than base+FH so :shrug:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Mordja posted:

Probably. They tend to wear out in less than two years. Fortunately, there's an entire thread dedicated to good computer chairs. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

CarlCX posted:

I'd suggest looking for a used Steelcase or Herman Miller chair on something like Craigslist. Depending on where you live, a lot of offices might be getting rid of furniture because of covid and you might be able to find one for much cheaper than their retail price. I got a used leather Steelcase Leap Worklounge (which is normally $3000+) for $280 a little less than a year ago and it was probably the best furniture purchase I'd ever made due to its comfort and build quality.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Azran posted:

The campaign is a decent enough romp, but the DLC turns Career mode (basically a free-roam mode) from a short-lived side distraction to the main feature of the game, with both procedural and handcrafted missions with their own stories and such. It's really fun and gives the game a lot of content.

Is there a particular DLC that does this, or are you talking about what happens when you have all of it?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Krazyface posted:

Is there a particular DLC that does this, or are you talking about what happens when you have all of it?

If you wanna get the most outta career, then you're looking at the dlcs called Heavy metal, Urban Warfare, and Flashpoint. These dlcs add mechs and various scenario type stuff. Grab the season pass if you already have the base game, or I think the Mercenary edition gives you everything. Merc edition might be cheaper than getting the base + season pass on various storefronts, I'm not sure.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Flashpoint is the most important one for that. Every other DLC adds a few flashpoints (the handmade missions I mentioned in my last post) as well. In the case of Heavy Metal, it's the other one I'd recommend only for the fact it gives you a ton of new 'mechs and weapons that are very fun. Urban Warfare is the least important of the bunch - it adds a (sorta badly optimized, but that's this game in a nutshell) urban landscape and two mechs, one of which has an ECM bubble effect that makes it very hard for the enemy to shoot at or even detect you from long range. So honestly I'd get the base game + Flashpoint and if you want more stuff get Heavy Metal. Urban Warfare is the least important of the bunch, even though it's not a bad DLC by any means.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

Only the Far Harbor sidequest is any good but it might be cheaper to get the GOTY than base+FH so :shrug:

The bot workshop one is fun if you like the crafting. Agreed on the rest not being great.

Nuka World is the worst of the lot because there's little content in it unless you want to play a bad guy.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The devs of MO:Astray have posted on their twitter that they indeed hosed up and wanted to make the game 30%, not 70% off. Unfortunate fuckup for everyone involved.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lithium City dropped during the worst time so I've never heard of it until now, but it looks cool. Anyone in here play it?

quote:

Fight, shoot, and dash your way through the dark and vibrant world of Lithium City. Take on armed guards, erratic thugs, and mindless drones as you make your way higher and higher up the towering neon skyscrapers. At the highest point, your deadliest opponent awaits...

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Call Your Grandma posted:

depends on the game

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I keep going back and forth between Persona 4 Golden or getting FFX-2 and Zero Ranger + misc games for that discount and I can't decide aaaaaa

Call Your Grandma posted:

You can gauge your game by buttcheek flexibility

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hello steam thread. I bought the whole rear end Creed franchise and have been having fun. However I noticed there are some spinoff games called rear end Creed Chronicles, Russia, China, etc. They are sold individually or as a bundle for $9 as part of the sale. Are they worth picking up? Is “the story” worth playing through? Or are they just fun little diversions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Artelier posted:

I keep going back and forth between Persona 4 Golden or getting FFX-2 and Zero Ranger + misc games for that discount and I can't decide aaaaaa

You can gauge your game by buttcheek flexibility

FFX-2 is the better deal for your buck, as it contains TWO excellent jrpgs with a great port.