Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Yeah, Apple Maps is p good and I've never driven into a lake because of it.

And:

the corona quid posted:

I also appreciate not having google data mining my location constantly to get a better rate when doing ad purchases but that’s just me 🤷🏼‍♂️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

the corona quid posted:

I’ve never had an issue with apple maps but admittedly I didn’t use it when they first switched over, I also appreciate not having google data mining my location constantly to get a better rate when doing ad purchases but that’s just me 🤷🏼‍♂️
Timmy Cook convincing people that their phone which sucks up every data metric possible and broadly allows apps to do the same thing is "private", whereas the other one is "bad", is their best marketing move in 20 years.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Khablam, what's your partner's dutch oven made out of?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I definitely care about my phone so much I’ll write screed after screed about it

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I definitely care about my phone so much I’ll write screed after screed about it
Said the man with 100 posts about the material his pans are made of.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Khablam posted:

Said the man with 100 posts about the material his pans are made of.

Well one just works and the other is my iPhone

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

the corona quid posted:

I personally don’t care for widgets but I think you may be missing the common element of “Android rushes poo poo out the door and it’s a janky barely functional mess where as Apple takes longer to add features but ensures they actually work” in your argument.

I forget when chromecast came out but I was still on Android when it did and getting screen casting working consistently was beyond frustrating. Meanwhile I’ve never had an issue doing it with my iPhone or iPad to my Apple TV. I would guess Google probably figured it out first but I still think Apple’s version works more consistently.

Both Android and iOS are loving garbage for their own reasons, but janky, broken apps isn't one of them.

You're also horrifically bad at technology but that's why you like Apple so much, because it does everything for you. Android does expect you to be able to follow directions or at the very least read the words on the screen, but that's too complex for some people.

Saying one is better than the other is missing the point. They're built for different people with different philosphies. Apple, for the person who looks at the TV, then the phone, then back at the TV and goes "What's a bluetooth?" And Android, for the person who looks at the phone and goes "I can make this better" and then writes his own custom ROM.

This Apple vs Android argument is like arguing that a wrench is better than a screwdriver.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 1, 2020

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Apple is the Pentalobe security screwdriver of the tool world.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Glad to see you're in Lidl friend, do check out their disturbingly cheap cider.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Forums must be running on Android

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

your friend wicka posted:

Forums must be running on Android

The hiccup was due to a power interruption to the servers due to Zak Brown's execution via electric chair down the road following his conviction of embezzling sovereign funds.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I bet lowtax uses android

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

all the streamer drivers are gonna come in extra last as punishment for their streaming sins

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

I bet lowtax uses android

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ethanol posted:

all the streamer drivers are gonna come in extra last as punishment for their streaming sins
Actually they are all cool and good lads.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

MustardFacial posted:

Both Android and iOS are loving garbage for their own reasons, but janky, broken apps isn't one of them.

You're also horrifically bad at technology but that's why you like Apple so much, because it does everything for you. Android does expect you to be able to follow directions or at the very least read the words on the screen, but that's too complex for some people.

Saying one is better than the other is missing the point. They're built for different people with different philosphies. Apple, for the person who looks at the TV, then the phone, then back at the TV and goes "What's a bluetooth?" And Android, for the person who looks at the phone and goes "I can make this better" and then writes his own custom ROM.

This Apple vs Android argument is like arguing that a wrench is better than a screwdriver.

This sounds like something a Linux nerd would write.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Frond posted:

This sounds like something a Linux nerd would write.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Theophany posted:

Seems like you made a major downgrade in residential nation, OP.

When I moved to the UK yeah

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Anyone who spends on an iPhone is either using the brand as an expression of their own identity, has enough money to throw 1000 quid down the toilet every 2 years or is literally an idiot.

Or all three

And also probably spending too much time staring at a phone screen

I buy everything on the Pareto principle anyway, which is why I have a phone that cost 80 quid and only has 10 apps installed on it. hello China scrape my data

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
pretty happy with my $400 SE

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

CancerCakes posted:

Anyone who spends on an iPhone is either using the brand as an expression of their own identity, has enough money to throw 1000 quid down the toilet every 2 years or is literally an idiot.

Or all three

And also probably spending too much time staring at a phone screen

I buy everything on the Pareto principle anyway, which is why I have a phone that cost 80 quid and only has 10 apps installed on it. hello China scrape my data

I buy the top end iPhone and keep it until it dies. Sure it's a big outlay, but amortized over a 4-5 year service life it works out at around the same monthly cost as my carrier plan. :shrug:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
jesus christ when did iphones get so expensive? last time I looked they were like 500 quid and that was still stupidly high

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i forked out $2800AUD for the samsung flip and it's really great you guys

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

BurgerQuest posted:

i forked out $2800AUD for the samsung flip and it's really great you guys

Should've got the rebooted Motorola Razer, that thing is amazing

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Just LOL at anyone who spends more than $250 for a new phone these days. Apple is very very good, at extracting maximum money from their idiot customers.

Khablam is right on the money with his analysis, it's strange to see someone be right so consistently on the internet.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Vando posted:

jesus christ when did iphones get so expensive? last time I looked they were like 500 quid and that was still stupidly high

About the same time Samsung and OnePlus did.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I bought this under the assumption that it’s gonna last five years minimum, I’ve still got an iPhone 5 that is mint that I used as an MP3 player that I just gave to my mom because she wanted something to store photos. $1500 for five years is honestly better than my last three laptop purchases where they seem to poo poo the bed three years in despite me not using them too often. I have no idea what quality phone you’re getting at $250 or what frequency you’re buying at but if that works for you then go for it 🤷🏼‍♂️

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
Anyone who is an Ardent fan of any particular company's brand of products is an idiot. You should just buy whatever product is actually best for your needs, fanboyism is beneficial to nobody and is your desperate attempt to find some meaning in your life by buying and siding with a particular product instead of doing something actually beneficial or productive for you or anyone around you.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

the corona quid posted:

I bought this under the assumption that it’s gonna last five years minimum, I’ve still got an iPhone 5 that is mint that I used as an MP3 player that I just gave to my mom because she wanted something to store photos. $1500 for five years is honestly better than my last three laptop purchases where they seem to poo poo the bed three years in despite me not using them too often. I have no idea what quality phone you’re getting at $250 or what frequency you’re buying at but if that works for you then go for it 🤷🏼‍♂️

A quality Rokit device.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

Anyone who is an Ardent fan of any particular company's brand of products is an idiot. You should just buy whatever product is actually best for your needs, fanboyism is beneficial to nobody and is your desperate attempt to find some meaning in your life by buying and siding with a particular product instead of doing something actually beneficial or productive for you or anyone around you.

This is true, and the fun part of these silly arguments is that they are universally started by really really weird Android fanboys describing a manufactured concept of an Apple fanboy that, in practice, doesn't exist. Recall that this current thread was mostly started by people misunderstanding what exFAT is and using that misunderstanding as a jumping off point from which to melt down about Apple. No one who likes Apple here is going out of their way to take shots at Android; it is the exact opposite.

drat. Only a few more days left of sincereposting.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

yo somebody find a copied version of that lando stream this morning with the paddock, he deleted it. thanks. I want to watch paddock

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
When does the 2020 Grand Prix of Lewis free practice start?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

This is true, and the fun part of these silly arguments is that they are universally started by really really weird Android fanboys describing a manufactured concept of an Apple fanboy that, in practice, doesn't exist.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

You have problems.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You have problems.
You're a spineless, pale, pathetic lot, and you haven't got a clue.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Khablam posted:

I have actually been getting a lot of sun recently.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Khablam posted:

Can you buy a clue in the Play Store?

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I guess I'm an iphone idiot for most of the reasons already mentioned. I use a Macbook for work and own an ipad so the cross-functionality is good and having it just works™ right out of the box is nice too. My car has CarPlay also so thats another nice feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Can you buy a clue in the Play Store?

No, but if you change your wallpaper you can brick your phone.