Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Megillah Gorilla posted:

A lot of movies of the time suffer from "we have huge ideas, but the special effects to properly show them simply don't exist".

So you get a black hole effect that is someone pulling the plug out of a sink and the mind bending transformative experience of passing through into another universe shown by stretching the film and making people talk funny.

There was also just a trend in 60s and 70s sci-fi films to have crazy trippy sequences, I think they were al ripping off 2001.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musluk
May 23, 2011

I see no mentions of FreeSpace but lotsa obscure ds games, what he hell spaceships thread???

Anyway here's my favorite FreeSpace ships:

The GTVA COLOSSUS. It's big, it's green, it's ugly, and it does the job. It's also a goddamn rifle.

In comes Hatshepsut. Good lord look at this sleek motherfucker. It's also a capital ship, not a fancy destroyer.

But I guess the Shivans take the cake with their insectoid/arachnid design.

Sathanas, loving up poor GTVA Colossus.

Okay fine, they're all capital ships, what about smallscale?

My favorite has to be the Medusa bomber.

This guy is not hiding what it's doing.

And as for the comedy option, the cocknballs Perseus:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Musluk posted:

I see no mentions of FreeSpace but lotsa obscure ds games, what he hell spaceships thread???

I like the engines at the front slamming their exhaust into another part of the ship

:colbert:

Musluk
May 23, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I like the engines at the front slamming their exhaust into another part of the ship

:colbert:

Hahaha I know, it's so stupid.

The best part is the game actually has capship engines damage your tiny fighters too, so they know about the exhaust issues.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Activating my Terran Huge Turret and my Big Green Beam right now.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Musluk posted:

The GTVA COLOSSUS. It's big, it's green, it's ugly, and it does the job. It's also a goddamn rifle.

In comes Hatshepsut. Good lord look at this sleek motherfucker. It's also a capital ship, not a fancy destroyer.

I <3 the Erinyes

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Megillah Gorilla posted:

A lot of movies of the time suffer from "we have huge ideas, but the special effects to properly show them simply don't exist".

So you get a black hole effect that is someone pulling the plug out of a sink and the mind bending transformative experience of passing through into another universe shown by stretching the film and making people talk funny.

You get Rhienherd inside Maximillion apparently ruling over hell and then the Palemino crew being lead to earth by an angel or something?

What?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I put googly eyes on a bunch of my models for the Xwing miniatures game.

They are superior to all other ships.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Musluk posted:

It looks like it has the galaxy's largest set of trucknuts attached.

I approve.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

ConfusedUs posted:

I have no poo poo bought ships from both X-Wing and Armada with no intention of using them in-game simply because it's the only way to get high quality movie accurate models for some ships without paying $600 dollars for a 30 year old model from Japan, if at all.

Relatedly, theres no way to get a good model for the N64 design of the Arwing from Starfox. Say what you will about it being about talking animals and memes about barrel rolls. Strafed 64 was filled to the brim with amazing designs. One thing I always loved about the Arwing is how its design acknowledges that there's no air in space. The wings are articulated and fold up behind the ship when you leave atmosphere.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

galagazombie posted:

I have no poo poo bought ships from both X-Wing and Armada with no intention of using them in-game simply because it's the only way to get high quality movie accurate models for some ships without paying $600 dollars for a 30 year old model from Japan, if at all.

Relatedly, theres no way to get a good model for the N64 design of the Arwing from Starfox. Say what you will about it being about talking animals and memes about barrel rolls. Strafed 64 was filled to the brim with amazing designs. One thing I always loved about the Arwing is how its design acknowledges that there's no air in space. The wings are articulated and fold up behind the ship when you leave atmosphere.

It’s less true for Xwing, but a significant portion of sales for Armada are collectors with no intention of playing.

I know lots of people who have bought Xwing and armada models for that reason.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Musluk posted:

oh man , I always loved the perseus and never noticed that

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

galagazombie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VkZu7HiC7c

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Arwing is my favorite scifi version of the F-14.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

twistedmentat posted:

Earth Alliance Omega Destroyer

It's this, this is the best space ship.

They were originally supposed to have the engines mounted on big gimbals to counteract the rotation of the middle section but that ended up costing too much.

Close second is the Enterprise-A. I also really really like way the ships in The Expanse are just skyscrapers with engines for foundations and use acceleration to simulate gravity.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Unkempt posted:

Just spent some cash on one of these meaty bastards

Yep!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Is the fuselage meant to look completely different to the boxart?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ConfusedUs posted:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Is the fuselage meant to look completely different to the boxart?

That middle bit is a detachable pod that can be switched out for various different purposed ones. The standard is on the box, that red stripey one is rescue, there's an orange VIP pod with blackjack and hookers I guess? And a couple of not included in this kit ones.

http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/cguide/umeaglepods.html

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Now I'm imagining the pac-man death star being chased by force ghosts.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Absolute love for that janky-rear end Falcon.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Musluk posted:

I just finished replaying this game and endorse this.

Ship wise I love me the herc.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

I hate this because I just know that Disney is going to make this happen.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Bogus Adventure posted:

I hate this because I just know that Disney is going to make this happen.

It'll be the continuation of Star Wars Detours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSqslieMkcI

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Dark Matter as a show was fine, but I thought their ship, the Raza, was really cool.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like the android on Dark Matter

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If you didn't like Android, you didn't like Dark Matter.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Eminent Domain posted:

I just finished replaying this game and endorse this.

Ship wise I love me the herc.

Hate to break this to you but that is an uncircumcised dick + balls

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

aphid_licker posted:

Hate to break this to you but that is an uncircumcised dick + balls

Go see a doctor.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Everyone talks about the foreskin when it comes to circumcision, but nobody mentions the ventral spur

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I just rewatched The Black Hole on Disney+ and it holds up pretty well. The end is still weird though.

:yeah:

Although I watched it for the first time on Disney+ after hearing about it for decades. I was expecting it to be a weird stilted 70s 2001-wannabe movie, but it was surprisingly charming. Roddy McDowell really makes that movie as Vincent. You're right though, that ending is weird a poo poo.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I watched it for the first time last Tuesday with some friends. It was a charming movie, but not one I think I'll be revisiting.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

UT-60D U-wing:

The U-Wing from Rogue One is one of my favorites. It fills a logical hole in the Rebel arsenal (a troop carrier/gunship) that was missing, typically before this you saw the EU depict the Rebels as moving troops with those bulbous cargo transports from Hoth or captured imperial shuttles, neither of which feels like a great fit. A fitting detail is it has windows on the bottom so the pilots can actually see the ground, and a cylindrical doodad behind the cockpit which is reminiscent of an R2 unit without actually sticking one on the thing. The art team that designed it say they liked the U shape because they thought it to be evocative of superman flying with arms outstretched, and they went through hundreds of iterations to refine the design into something that looked like it fit in with the classic starfighters.

Quoting from page 4, I don't care.

One of the things that makes me love the U-wing so much is how much of the ship is below the wing-line. The design gives me the feel of a flying boat, something like the Grumman G-21. It feels like it's drawing from the same well of "WWII in space" as the earlier Star Wars films.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Linux Pirate posted:

It'll be the continuation of Star Wars Detours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSqslieMkcI

Thankfully this never actually saw the light of day.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Some Goon posted:

Go see a doctor.

Look, if their dick comes with an excellent array of primary weapon hard points and superior secondary ammo capacity, who are we to judge?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DigitalRaven posted:

Quoting from page 4, I don't care.

One of the things that makes me love the U-wing so much is how much of the ship is below the wing-line. The design gives me the feel of a flying boat, something like the Grumman G-21. It feels like it's drawing from the same well of "WWII in space" as the earlier Star Wars films.

I agree, it's been in a few games and I've really wanted to see one do a water landing or be moored at a dock. It's a great design, I wish the ST stuff had half as much imagination.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
It doesn't get mentioned as often as it should that the 80s movie Enterprise looks fantastic from behind

:tutbutt:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Love to watch you warp away! :imunfunny:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It doesn't get mentioned as often as it should that the 80s movie Enterprise looks fantastic from behind

:tutbutt:

And the Bird or Prey is flexing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

General Chang enjoys hittin' it from the back