Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
think back to the world of tech in 2010. a lot has changed since then! ten years ago, i ran windows xp on my netbook and didn't have a smartphone. intel was the undisputed king of the processor hill. apple still made some pretty good computers, and steve had not yet passed on to his great reward. ballmer had recently shocked the world by releasing one of microsoft's least poo poo oses, windows 7. online dating was still sufficiently weird that you had to pretend you and your ladyfriend met cute in a coffeeshop or something. it seemed like 2010 might truly be the year of linux on the desktop.

what do you think computers will look like in June 2030?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

pity reply

Moose Milkie
Sep 6, 2007

:cthulhu::respek::ghost:
COME ON GET INVOLVED
THERE'S A MOOSETERY TO SOLVE
HANG AROUND WITH MOOSE MILKIE

ROVER HERE!!!!!
good thred mang

pram
Jun 10, 2001
in 2010 your operating system was a piece of poo poo. this remains the case now and surely in 2030 as well

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
itll be javascript all the way to the kernel, op

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

gonna post on my sweet Huawei MacBook Pro

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

what do you think computers will look like in June 2030?

they will replace the nt kernel with the linux kernel but also gdi with electron

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Chewbaccanator posted:

itll be javascript all the way to the kernel, op

Zlodo posted:

they will replace the nt kernel with the linux kernel but also gdi with electron

:bisonyes:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the number of desktop linux users will reach four figures

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
computers will be stored in the balls

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

will a computer finallly be able to eat you out rather than the other way around

we dont know thats the magic of computers science

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

will a computer finallly be able to eat you out rather than the other way around

we dont know thats the magic of computers science

anything is possible with computers, op

personally, i think that we'll be all be digital consciousnesses each running on a different amazon-microsoft server instance

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

everything will be exactly the same as now, but with more ads

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sweevo posted:

everything will be exactly the same as now, but with more ads

lol

aol keyword party
Sep 27, 2005

you can find a pleasure of shooting prolific amounts of pictures,
hang on my eee work laptop is booting

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sweevo posted:

the number of desktop linux users will reach four figures

average weight in pounds, maybe

DAIRY KING
May 15, 2011

A DEO REX, A REGE LAC
linux will be king, coffee shops will no longer exist as the plague takes over every ones body, dating site will be come cam sites, everyone will have a government issued lovedoll capable of very basic AI i love yous, and my smartphone will still spy on me, all hail the box

pram
Jun 10, 2001

carry on then posted:

average weight in pounds, maybe

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

DAIRY KING posted:

linux will be king, coffee shops will no longer exist as the plague takes over every ones body, dating site will be come cam sites, everyone will have a government issued lovedoll capable of very basic AI i love yous, and my smartphone will still spy on me, all hail the box

sounds like a net improvement over my current life :pray:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
manufacturers will realize no one gives a gently caress about folding phones

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

the 2010 decade was pretty good for consumers, because they could buy an ordinary new computer and could assume that it wouldn't run like poo poo, and run almost any normal consumer application without slowdown

2010 was the decade of significantly cyber warfare and cyber attacks more than any other. before it was a minor threat or science fiction. now it's ubiquitous all over the planet. a mixture of the inventiveness of computer science, and capability of computers aided to the cause

maybe we'll look back at 2030-2040 as the decade of simulating suffering with quantum computers

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
looking forward to apple's 2030 folding display quantum computer watch

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is kind of sad to me that this will likely be the first decade where more kids than the preceding decade will grow up without a "traditional" computer at home.

writing some terrible basic, messing about with the system, eventually culminating with a terrible linux dual-boot install making the computer actively worse to use for everyone was fun.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 1, 2020

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

no one wants that!!

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

President Beep posted:

manufacturers will realize no one gives a gently caress about folding phones

lol no

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

apple will get it right with the first shapeshifting screen, with a UI that users can feel

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
apple buy motorola and put out identical-form-factor razrs with some version of ios optimized for tinyscreen

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

throw in a blackberry curve-esque trackball for the hat trick.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

President Beep posted:

no one wants that!!

Gary No One twitch 3.0 streaming sensation will

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

computers are a fad, i don't think they'll still have them next year

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

all the machine learning algorithms will have trained themselves to be even worse at identifying the poo poo theyre supposed to

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

they’ll look the same as today because we’ll all be dead by 2025.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

95% of american households will have an ISP that supports IPv6, but only 40% of households will actually get it on their desktop or tv since they just get the routers from their ISP. All the other households will still be running routers that max out at 100Mbps and will not have IPv6 support at all.

But it will be irrelevant since most internet access will be via mobile phones. Most of those will be ipv6 capable, but many apps will silently fail on ipv6-only networks.

People who once suspected 5G towers as CIA eavesdropping will now claim that IPv6 is european encroachment. IPv6 conspiracy theories are widespread enough that major ISPs expend significant capital fighting them.

99.9% of SOHO and small businesses networks that roll out in-house services will still be running only ipv4.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Makeout Patrol posted:

all the machine learning algorithms will have trained themselves to be even worse at identifying the poo poo theyre supposed to

despite being measurably more secure, no more phones are released that allow fingerprint authentication.

the fbi has stopped asking for backdoors for phones since face unlock is very broken now, but in widespread use

samsung releases a machine learning enabled voice authentication mechanism for bixby, and is enabled by default. For whatever reason, a barking dog is able to unlock any bixby protected phone. Samsung still refuses to put bixby out to pasture.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Apple releases a set of airpods that access mobile networks and talk to Siri without the need for an iphone. Because of year-round pandemics, the world is now filled with people wearing masks, talking to themselves.

Two people arrive from 1985 in a Delorean and are unable to communicate with anyone, despite everyone speaking English. They catch the latest coronavirus strain and die, due to an inability to provide proof of healthcare insurance.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Like Nazis did in this decade, in the coming decade HP Unix will make a huge comeback no one expected, or really is happy about

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hpux cant have a 'comeback' it never really took off to begin with

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

will the comeback be on itanium or pa-risc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

google search results will become 100% aliexpress links