Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Jamie Faith posted:

Quintons Reviews' Virtual Vidcon video is finally here! Guest starring Scott the Woz, Cosmonaut Marcus, Phelous and Allison, and a whole lot of other people!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjrFexznSn0

I... don't get this. At all.

If anyone found it funny then good for them I guess, but to me it just felt like an even worse version of a tgwtg anniversary crossover. Maybe that was his intent; maybe it was supposed to be a parody of that kind of low-budget low-talent internet project, but if so it needed to be clearer on what it was trying to do because as it is, it's just unironically bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Quinton has already done his own version of a TGTWG-style crossover in an effort to retake that form of video back from the incompetent and negligent hands of Doug Walker so it makes sense that's the vibe this one would give off.

I laughed and enjoyed my way through parts of this video, but I'll be damned if it didn't set off my secondhand anxiety because of how Quinton in the video is so oblivious to everyone hating him.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Just got done with Noah Gervais' TLOU videos and largely agree with him. The second game in particular deals with some pretty ugly ideas. I think it stumbles at the end and basically does another variation on that Zeus/Kratos fight at the end of GOD OF WAR on the PS2 which made me laugh because its like all the time, resources and money that went into this game and that's your climax?

The guy who said this was the SCHINDLER'S LIST of video games was wrong of course, it's more like MUNICH.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUFClRBtU3A

Sage looks at the snoozefest that is 5 centimeters per second. Watching the video also really helped me find a way to articulate my biggest barrier to watching several anime shows and films: the constant dialogue. For a visual medium, anime relies so heavily on dialogue that I begin to question why they even bothered to illustrate and animate at all. Sage is right that a film like this one would be far better if it was driven by animation and music, but the constant narration makes it utterly tedious.

Before the "not all anime" crowd descends, yes, there are exceptions to this statement that do know when to be quiet and let the visuals carry the narrative, I'm not disputing that. I'm saying that the need to use dialogue almost as a crutch is prevalent enough to be noticeable and it drives me crazy when a scene feels the need to tell me a characters inner thoughts RIGHT NOW when facial expressions can do that in a more effective and less blunt manner.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Ugh its sad seeing Troy Baker being a big baby about criticism of TLOU2 on Twitter

rox
Sep 7, 2016

achillesforever6 posted:

Ugh its sad seeing Troy Baker being a big baby about criticism of TLOU2 on Twitter

speaking of, jim has a video on the subject this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujKHlm-6JfY

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

calling 5cm per second a snoozefest sure is a take

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

I think it's pretty funny

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016
Here's a bit of crossover with the self-promo thread. My Canadian horror podcast, A PART OF OUR SCARE-ITAGE, is joined this month by Scaredy Matt of Thought Slime and Scaredy Cats fame to discuss the infamous THINGS for Canada Day.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

watho posted:

calling 5cm per second a snoozefest sure is a take

I mean it is a boring movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BklK4oRtSaI
Savage Books with a year late discussion of dragons and Game of Thrones bad final seasons.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

achillesforever6 posted:

yeah and it wasnt even over dumb/hot take stuff. it was jason saying he wishes games were shorter. i like part 2 a bunch but plenty of critiques about it are valid.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean it is a boring movie.

i mean it is slow paced but it’s fairly short and does what it sets out to do. it obviously isn’t for everyone but calling it a “snoozefest” is just extremely funny to me.

that said Makoto Shinkai’s best film will always be she and her cat

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUFClRBtU3A

Sage looks at the snoozefest that is 5 centimeters per second. Watching the video also really helped me find a way to articulate my biggest barrier to watching several anime shows and films: the constant dialogue. For a visual medium, anime relies so heavily on dialogue that I begin to question why they even bothered to illustrate and animate at all. Sage is right that a film like this one would be far better if it was driven by animation and music, but the constant narration makes it utterly tedious.

Before the "not all anime" crowd descends, yes, there are exceptions to this statement that do know when to be quiet and let the visuals carry the narrative, I'm not disputing that. I'm saying that the need to use dialogue almost as a crutch is prevalent enough to be noticeable and it drives me crazy when a scene feels the need to tell me a characters inner thoughts RIGHT NOW when facial expressions can do that in a more effective and less blunt manner.

5cm Per Second turned 15 year old me into a sobbing mess but yeah I went back and watched it about a year or so ago and it really does suffer from far too much dialogue like a lot of Shinkai's earlier movies. Early Shinkai had a really bad habit of very beautifully conveying the the themes and mindsets of the characters visually, but then wasting it because the characters just drone on forever about the themes and their mindsets when it's just not fuckin' necessary. IMO he didn't really hit is stride until Garden of Words, which is when he really started opening up and letting other people actually help him with his movies while still sticking to his strengths as a director and it really shows.

Your Name is overrated as hell but it is still very good and a culmination of Shinkai's grand narrative of how relationships survive or fail due to time and distance, and him working with a lot of people who actually know how to technically construct and properly pace a movie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah and it wasnt even over dumb/hot take stuff. it was jason saying he wishes games were shorter. i like part 2 a bunch but plenty of critiques about it are valid.

I feel Cosmonaut Marcus had the right of it in that there's a lot you can nail TLOU2 for being bad at, but nobody is actually talking about them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dawgstar posted:

I feel Cosmonaut Marcus had the right of it in that there's a lot you can nail TLOU2 for being bad at, but nobody is actually talking about them.

its dont think its really "bad" at anything. its more of a "jack of all trads, master at some" type. plus its the big new game that is supposed to be "serious" and "artistic" so you have two sides of dumb fucks saying insane poo poo at each other. https://pixelhunted.wordpress.com/2020/06/30/the-last-of-us-part-ii-ps4-2020/ this goon from the last of us thread wrote a decent piece on it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's a bog standard AAA game. There's nothing wrong with that, AAA games can be enjoyable in their own way, but the people shouting from both sides that it's either the worst thing in gaming history or god's own gift to gaming that will stand as a progress marker for story in gaming are rather silly imo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm glad that the discourse around Doom Eternal was able to talk about its successes in gameplay and how divisive it's storytelling was without Hugo getting all pissy that critics would besmirch his game's important themes about murdering the gently caress out of demons.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i saw a clip of ellie playing take on me on an acoustic guitar to her girlfriend and it just made me mad they missed an opportunity for her to play wonderwall

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I watched Noah Caldwell-Gervais' review of the TLoU games and, from what he showed and described, there is no way I would ever want to bother playing The Last of Us 2. It seems like an extremely joyless game. I did like TLoU 1 well enough, but that game had a perfectly fine ending with no need for a sequel.

I'm just not interested in going through a bunch of scenarios and watching people die brutally with maximal misery, with bespoke death quotes and the AI enemies crying over their virtual dogs and everything. Why would I even bother? If the whole game has the same kind of action gameplay as most AAA games, it just feels like they're saying "check it out, our shooting gallery targets scream and cry when you shoot them!"

I'm getting pretty tired of games trying to make statements about cycles of violence and that sort of thing. Most of the time they just force the player to kill scores of people in the exact same way as any other video game, then they say "wow, this is hosed up, right?" Yeah, it sure is hosed up, buddy - why am I forced to do it then?

The games I've played that were successful at that sort of thing have a spin on it. It works in Undertale, and the only reason why that game was successful was because it specifically acknowledges all the ways that the player is distinct from the game world, and brings things like save scumming and multiple playthroughs into the narrative so that the player's role is specifically called out.

It works in Death Stranding (to some extent), because the game acknowledges that video game enemies are not actually people and players will not emotionally invest themselves in them, so it creates major negative consequences for the player and the game world if you end up killing someone, which actually creates legitimate motivation to not be a killer.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

much like Bioshock Infinite, TLOU2 overplays its hand way too early so that you're kinda just going through the motions waiting for the twist that you already know is coming because the characters have already spent hours winking at the camera about it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TLOU2 is not Hatred like it was marketed. It is in fact, as sad and depressing as The Lion King.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Violence is bad and only results in an endless cycle of revenge. If you, the player do not feel bad about killing people in our game where we force you to kill people, you are a monster.

Also dont forget to preorder so you can carry bonus ammo!

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Sydin posted:

Violence is bad and only results in an endless cycle of revenge. If you, the player do not feel bad about killing people in our game where we force you to kill people, you are a monster.

Also dont forget to preorder so you can carry bonus ammo!

Casey Finnigan posted:

I watched Noah Caldwell-Gervais' review of the TLoU games and, from what he showed and described, there is no way I would ever want to bother playing The Last of Us 2. It seems like an extremely joyless game. I did like TLoU 1 well enough, but that game had a perfectly fine ending with no need for a sequel.

This is the really interesting thing and how I disagree with Noah, the gameplay is fun (which is arguably a problem for the point they are making) mechanically it is the best stealth third person action hybrid I've ever played, and once you get the flow of combat it can be glorious. This works against it's themes of cycle of revenge and is a mark against it (if that's the message it's trying to tell).

For me the game is basically the epitome of "A lot of effort but shackled byu having generic gameplay that dosent mesh well with the themes". The game will have a harrowing cutscene that is supposed to make you feel bad them let you grab a guy, silently pistol the other guard and then stab him in the neck.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Game is really good to play, the story sucks massively.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

Sydin posted:

5cm Per Second turned 15 year old me into a sobbing mess but yeah I went back and watched it about a year or so ago and it really does suffer from far too much dialogue like a lot of Shinkai's earlier movies. Early Shinkai had a really bad habit of very beautifully conveying the the themes and mindsets of the characters visually, but then wasting it because the characters just drone on forever about the themes and their mindsets when it's just not fuckin' necessary. IMO he didn't really hit is stride until Garden of Words, which is when he really started opening up and letting other people actually help him with his movies while still sticking to his strengths as a director and it really shows.

Your Name is overrated as hell but it is still very good and a culmination of Shinkai's grand narrative of how relationships survive or fail due to time and distance, and him working with a lot of people who actually know how to technically construct and properly pace a movie.
I disagree with bolded part. Shinkai's monomanical obsession is more about the emotion of longing for a loved one who for some reason cannot be reached. That's why, for the most part, the relationships themsleves are not developed all that much in his movies. It seems to me that his own sensibilities dictate this desire to remain unfulfilled but that doesn't lend itself well to satisfying stories. For that reason it is no surprise that Your Name is his most successful movie, though I wouldn't call it a culmination of his earlier work in terms of narrative.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I don't understand the ending to Your Name at all. I have no idea what was happening at the end whatsoever.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i don't have a ps4 so i'll never play tlou2 myself, but going strictly from Caldwell-Gervais' video it's kinda funny how a lot of time is spent talking about how every enemy has a name and backstory and is devastated when friends die to make a point about cycles of revenge, then apparently half the enemies in the game are fundamentalists who love to torture transpeople or slavers who you're encouraged to kill happily because they're bad video game enemy people

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

i don't have a ps4 so i'll never play tlou2 myself, but going strictly from Caldwell-Gervais' video it's kinda funny how a lot of time is spent talking about how every enemy has a name and backstory and is devastated when friends die to make a point about cycles of revenge, then apparently half the enemies in the game are fundamentalists who love to torture transpeople or slavers who you're encouraged to kill happily because they're bad video game enemy people

Specifically the three factions are:
CW: Really terrible poo poo

Fundamentalists who hang/ritually kill people and have Child brides to elders
A military state that also torturers people, but for information and basically leaves landmines to kill tresspassers into the city
Slavers who also like letting people turn into infected and keep them chained up (they are only at the end)

What makes it really annoying is, this isn't a "hard world where everyone does hosed up poo poo". Jackson (the town ellie and joel live in at the start) seems basically normal and good, accepting travellers and being good people. It's why I find it hard to humanise a bunch of characters who willingly fight for the middle faction, they were still kinda horrible people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can we have a post apoc story or game where humanity doesn't immediately default to a raider mentality upon the collapse of civilization?

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Stormgale posted:

Specifically the three factions are:
CW: Really terrible poo poo

Fundamentalists who hang/ritually kill people and have Child brides to elders
A military state that also torturers people, but for information and basically leaves landmines to kill tresspassers into the city
Slavers who also like letting people turn into infected and keep them chained up (they are only at the end)

What makes it really annoying is, this isn't a "hard world where everyone does hosed up poo poo". Jackson (the town ellie and joel live in at the start) seems basically normal and good, accepting travellers and being good people. It's why I find it hard to humanise a bunch of characters who willingly fight for the middle faction, they were still kinda horrible people.

Eh, this gets complicated by the fact that the military state is in the middle of a war with the fundamentalists. And there's no doubt in my mind that if Jackson was in a similar conflict, Joel and Tommy would use exactly the same kinds of tactics against their enemies as well.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can we have a post apoc story or game where humanity doesn't immediately default to a raider mentality upon the collapse of civilization?

Yeah the fallout franchise exists.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I mean if you play the Interplay/Black Isle/Obsidian titles. If it's a Bethesda game 95% of the humans you encounter are psychopathic raiders.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Even better, the HOI IV mod take on it, Old World Blues.

WhichImmakingasubmodwhichIwillshillforanytime.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

i've yet to get around to reading it myself, but apparently the manga Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko is set in a post-apocylpse where humanity is in its twilight years and people are just peacefully living out the last couple decades of humankind and making the best of the time they got left

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean if you play the Interplay/Black Isle/Obsidian titles. If it's a Bethesda game 95% of the humans you encounter are psychopathic raiders.

well yeah but bethesda is bad at making games

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nah, not really. We're already trampling people to death on Black Friday to get a television 200$ cheaper. You've gotta get rid of the humans for an optimistic post-apocalypse story. If you do that, you get Splatoon.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Breath of the Wild has a pretty relaxed post-apocalypse. Death Stranding is also very optimistic considering it has possibly the most hosed up and incomprehensible apocalypse I've ever seen in media.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Postman--the book, not the movie--comes to mind. There are some yikes-y bits, IIRC (it's been a while since I read it) but it's fundamentally a story of people trying to live quietly, and a quite explicitly smaller and despired movement of Bubba/prepper shitstains who threaten it.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

Game is really good to play, the story sucks massively.

Sounds like MGSV.