Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hmmmm... In Europe the LS400 was rated at 4400lb towing capacity and Curt sells a 3500lb capacity hitch in the US. Hmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

STR posted:

Hell, the USDM LS400 of that era is well known for breaking 750k miles. The famous million mile LS400 was supposedly on the original drivetrain until 930k, when the transmission crapped out.

Technically it has 999,999 miles... because the odometer stops at 999,999.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28991860/the-million-mile-lexus/

This was Toyota's unkillable. Do the most basic of maintenance and they just go forever. Or don't. Just keep fluids in it and sneeze a timing belt at it occasionally.

Thanks for posting that story. It hit on one of those subconscious things, I’ve noted old LS400s running on the road but never gave it a second thought. I do want to pick up that book the author referenced.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Do the Celsiors run the 1UZ like the LS?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

LeeMajors posted:

Do the Celsiors run the 1UZ like the LS?

Yes.

It is LITERALLY a Lexus LS400.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KakerMix posted:

Yes.

It is LITERALLY a Lexus LS400.

That's awesome. I knew they were the same overall but I didn't know if they had different engine options like a 1JZ or something else fun.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

LeeMajors posted:

That's awesome. I knew they were the same overall but I didn't know if they had different engine options like a 1JZ or something else fun.

The Crowns did, you could get those with the UZ or JZ or even G series engines. I've even seen diesel L in a few.
The Celsior though is only UZ as it is a 1:1 with the LS400. Celsior does get neat extra interior things though that the USA never got but that's just Japan for you.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Hmmmm... In Europe the LS400 was rated at 4400lb towing capacity and Curt sells a 3500lb capacity hitch in the US. Hmmmm

I've got the Curt hitch on order for my Celsior...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Sure looks dang good to me :toot:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Love the outer color Kaker, can't wait to see you detail it when it gets to you. I envy your skills. Really like the black rims doesn't work with everything but does here.

My bucket truck on BAT ends in less than 2 hours come on bidding war!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

I choose to assume that's ¥43, not ¥43k and you just paid less than a single serving squid snack for a running truck

$430 for a running truck sounds pretty insane to me anyway. I get that there's a bunch of registration/inspection costs for anyone buying that thing in Japan that makes it less attractive, but are auctions goldmines for that kind of thing in general or just for stuff like kei trucks? Do things like non-AE86/Skyline/Land Cruiser "regular" cars go for those kinds of prices too? I wanted to look at listings out of curiosity but it looks like to even see that stuff you need to register and pay a fee?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

$430 for a running truck sounds pretty insane to me anyway. I get that there's a bunch of registration/inspection costs for anyone buying that thing in Japan that makes it less attractive, but are auctions goldmines for that kind of thing in general or just for stuff like kei trucks? Do things like non-AE86/Skyline/Land Cruiser "regular" cars go for those kinds of prices too? I wanted to look at listings out of curiosity but it looks like to even see that stuff you need to register and pay a fee?

Cars themselves are dirt cheap in Japan, it's the costs of ownership (getting a license, shaken (compulsory safety inspection/insurance), fuel, highway tolls, etc) that get pricey.

When I lived there, I never paid more than the equivalent of around US$1,000 for a vehicle in "very good" condition with 100,000-150,000k kms*. Usually most of the price was the value of the remaining shaken, the actual car I was probably buying at barely above scrap value.

*granted, nothing too sexy: a '96 Mark II (auto, inline six), 2000 Daihatsu Atrai-7, and a 2000 Pajero Mini.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have paid $350 for a car to over $10k in Japan. Add $3-5k to get it here and to your house and registered and plated whether the car is free or whatever price.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Prices have steadily been increasing, sharper on desirable stuff like Land Cruisers. 'Boring' cars like Celsiors have gone from 800-1200 dollars to 2500+ just in the last couple months. Haven't been paying attention to Crowns or anything, but Japan still has the cheapest/best options to get speed. If you are OK with automatics then a twin-turbo 2JZ Soarer (Lexus SC) is a real inexpensive way to get a ton of power in a car that hasn't been abused.
Likewise while Land Cruisers and Toyota Hilux are going to be $$$$$$$$$, Nissan pikcups will be less expensive because they are less desirable, Mazda or Mitsubishi trucks are much less common, but also less expensive when they come up. Delicas are going to be the king of value in most circumstances when it comes to the #vanlife crowd, but HiAces are taking their (rightful) place of being extremely capable vehicles.

Sometimes you'll see a boring-rear end sedan of some kind and think you can snag it for a deal, only for someone that wants it as their person car dumps a giant bid on it driving the price up.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is the 2JZ Soarer the turbo version? Because yeah, that's a lot of power. Probably worth it to buy an auto and pay to have a manual stuck in it at that point even if you aren't capable of doing a transmission swap yourself. Seems like the manuals are way more likely to have been thrashed on.

The late '80s-early '90s Cefiro seems cool, although it seems like they never put a stick in the AWD version, which is a shame. I really want to drive an RB20DET though, a tiny inline 6 like that seems like it would be an interesting engine. Maybe they weren't wanting to compete with themselves against the Skyline AWD cars. My dream import would be a Gravel Express, but I bet those are pretty drat expensive what with low production and the niche attraction to them in the US. OTOH there has been one for sale on eBay for like two months at $11k and it's not moving.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is the 2JZ Soarer the turbo version? Because yeah, that's a lot of power. Probably worth it to buy an auto and pay to have a manual stuck in it at that point even if you aren't capable of doing a transmission swap yourself. Seems like the manuals are way more likely to have been thrashed on.

Yes, the same 2JZ turbo that is in the MK4 Supra. You can get them with manual transmissions too, but they cost more and a lot of them are heavily modified drift machines like you suggest.. I've seen a few untouched manuals but they always go for $texas. Many more stock automatics with lower miles available.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Aristo twin turbo can be a deal right now.

But poo poo is wild. Changes weekly. I bid 500 on a Delica I would have won last year for 400 sold for 850 last night.

Bid on a pretty rough Sunny hot hatch last week that sold for ONE MILLION

Oh and my Bucket truck sold for $12k on BAT, so pretty far beyond my wildest expectations

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

TBF if you're talking about the version of the Sunny that's the same as a Pulsar GTI-R but LHD and you mean 1 million yen, that's like ~9,500 USD, right? I could see that, the left hand drive models were pretty drat rare and it's a unique car that I would love to drive. I was thinking about mentioning it but I had already been mentioning too many cars that I probably will never buy.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

everdave posted:

Oh and my Bucket truck sold for $12k on BAT, so pretty far beyond my wildest expectations

Fuuuuck congrats man 🥂

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Won one tonight!

Really dig this one, 5 speed, 4wd Bongo dually with AC! Only 64k km and I love the Shell graphics on the side.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

everdave posted:

Aristo twin turbo can be a deal right now.

But poo poo is wild. Changes weekly. I bid 500 on a Delica I would have won last year for 400 sold for 850 last night.

Bid on a pretty rough Sunny hot hatch last week that sold for ONE MILLION

My friend was the guy just below the winner. His dad wants one for his electrical contractors business. Congrats on the sale, if you get another one message the runner up to your auction.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Maksimus54 posted:

My friend was the guy just below the winner. His dad wants one for his electrical contractors business. Congrats on the sale, if you get another one message the runner up to your auction.

If I see another I will be buying it for sure, but so far the only one I have ever spotted at auction (kei bucket truck)

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Yes, the same 2JZ turbo that is in the MK4 Supra. You can get them with manual transmissions too, but they cost more and a lot of them are heavily modified drift machines like you suggest.. I've seen a few untouched manuals but they always go for $texas. Many more stock automatics with lower miles available.

Nah, Soarer comes with 1JZ twin turbo (older - this engine came in a JZA70 Supra), 1JZ VVT-i single turbo (newer), an NA 2J (same as non turbo Supra) and a 1UZ V8. Any but the V8 can be had with a manual, but the non turbo 2J gearbox (W58) uhh, probably won't love a ton of power.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

everdave posted:

Won one tonight!

Really dig this one, 5 speed, 4wd Bongo dually with AC! Only 64k km and I love the Shell graphics on the side.

That's what I want for pickup-truck duty, right there.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Darchangel posted:

That's what I want for pickup-truck duty, right there.

I want that and to stick a slide in camper on it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

beep-beep car is go posted:

Dude I just saw a slide in camper on FB marketplace and may go look at it this weekend when kids are out of town. I’m sure it’s rotten tho they are asking too little

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

That’s no blocker, check CSB’s thread.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dock pictures of the 1995 Toyota Celsior Type C F Package. It's been sitting outside for a bit so its pretty streaky, but that's ok. It has seat doily tan lines but the doilies themselves are MIA. Among fancy-dancy stereo and voice GPS and all that, I want to point out that because this is a Type C, it has ULTRASONIC REAR-VIEW MIRRORS. That's right, to shake the water off of them. Double floor mats as that was the style at the time, and our client is super stoked to get the top end version in the year and with just a bit over 50k miles on it.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I am probably only ever going to lurk in here but I love this, very much the content I am here for, I never really thought that there was any importing beyond the like obvious Skylines/Evos/Supras and the like and so many of these are super sweet. Maybe one day I'll be rich and get an R32 but for now I appreciate the quirky stuff in here.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Love the Celsior, I have the same color as you know Kaker pearl white with silver except my interior is a more luxurious darker brown (ha but I love it). Pretty much decided to keep it as the main family vehicle. I mean if someone gives me 10 for it I’d take it but just 33k km. I’ve got a Curt hitch coming for it Sunday and I’m going to add my Thule racks for vacations.

Thoughts on replacing the pioneer setup with a car play head unit? Think I can keep the factory sub working? Not sure about that yet.

Won a cheap Pajero Mini tonight but 5 speed with a roof rack and the factory brush guard lights. Cheap. Good shape just paint fade.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I hope the buyer keeps that intact, it’s cool as hell.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I had completely forgotten about the Celsior and now I've got Car Sensor open. sigh.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Cars themselves are dirt cheap in Japan, it's the costs of ownership (getting a license, shaken (compulsory safety inspection/insurance), fuel, highway tolls, etc) that get pricey.

And parking. It's like NYC if you're in or around Tokyo -- if you live in an apartment that has parking, that can be $400-500 a month for that building, otherwise you're sticking it somewhere else (I've seen advertisements on Facebook for a spot about 20 minutes walk from where I live for $150 a month). There's also an annual tax you have to pay that depends on engine size/vehicle size, it was like $450 or so for the year for the B4 when I owned that.

Fuel also depends, but it is usually between 120-140 yen/liter so $4.50 a gallon or so. Highway tolls add up, just going around the loop in Tokyo is $8 by itself. I've had day trips out of Tokyo that run me ~$50 in tolls alone -- whereas taking the train would be about as long and probably less than half the cost.

Half the reason I want to buy an apartment/house here is to lock in a parking spot so I can go do something stupid like get a Celsior or an old Legacy B4 just to have for weekends or road trips. All of those costs are why the cheap cars get more expensive pretty quick.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

everdave posted:

Dude I just saw a slide in camper on FB marketplace and may go look at it this weekend when kids are out of town. I’m sure it’s rotten tho they are asking too little
The Honda Acty was sold here with a demountable camper body, in addition to "proper" camper builds of things like Bedfird Rascals.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
These are probably more in my price range lol: https://minicar.tomytec.co.jp/product/search.html?series=2

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Do Japanese police cars ever come up at auction?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Snowy posted:

Do Japanese police cars ever come up at auction?

Ive seen one OLD Crown police car that I remember

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

everdave posted:

Ive seen one OLD Crown police car that I remember

Oh man that sounds awesome :allears:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

beep-beep car is go posted:

That'll work, too!

everdave posted:

Yes!

I found these at Walgreens here in TX yesterday:

edit: 1/43 1/32 scale. Jada JDM Tuners series.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 2, 2020

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
This camper is a huge project in a small package. I didn't really want a project but here I am.

All the windows leak except the little ones in the upper sleeping area. So the walls beneath the windows are totally shot and I'm stripping all the wood sub-paneling off. Also the subfloor is hosed up majorly along the walls of the camper.

I am slowly replacing the window seals. It's not very hard I just don't have much time in a given day right now.

Pull the old poo poo out!

New poo poo. But I don't really know if it's tight enough or what. Gotta do a hose spray test!

New fuzzy u-channel stuff that the sliding portion runs in.

Got the goods from Steele Rubber and Pelland. I ordered lots of samples before buying anything. It was a good idea!

Definitely having a serious case of buyer's remorse on this. But...I ain't got no recourse so I hope to fix it up properly and sell the thing after a year or so of using it.

I might also just pop the entire window assemblies out and re-install them with new butyl rubber tape stuff. Better than recaulking the edges.

For replacement wall paneling, I am using some plastic panel. It's pretty good. I have it on my garage walls. I almost went with 1/8" wood paneling with some waterproofing stuff on the insulation side, but seems kinda dumb when you can get this stuff in many colors.

For replacing the floor along the edge of the walls...maybe do use plywood and paint on some waterproofing stuff? Or get some plastic liner? Or...??? There is this fancy composite board called Coosa board that boat people use.

I pulled out all the bench seats. It was surprisingly easy but also scary because they ain't held in very well, either because the screws are dinky or they were rusted to nothing.

gently caress!!! The green is the foam under the wallpaper and sub-wall wood panel. Oscillating saw is helping me pull off the paneling but not wreck the foam insulation BECAUSE I WOULD PREFER TO NOT REDO THE INSULATION ALSO THANK YOU!

"it's not mold! it's not mold!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a moldy corn cob

Maybe I should replace the whole subfloor??? I'd have to pull the kitchen out. Would make redoing some of the poo poo behind it easier too. :meowth:

Should I make a tiny camper/RV thread? Are there other AI goons who have camper projects and want to complain with me?

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 6, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Paging CursedShitbox.....paging CursedShitbox

(he's literally going through this with an insert right now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Insert?