Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOST ANTICIPATED FYTER FEST MATCH
This poll is closed.
Mox vs Cage 7 6.67%
Shida vs Ford 2 1.90%
Best Friends vs Hangman and Kenny 47 44.76%
Jericho vs Orange 49 46.67%
Total: 105 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I want Best Friends to win because even though I like Kenny/Page better they've done their 'thing' as tag champs. Buuuut I still have the feeling that they're the belt pillows for FTR at this point. As good as Best Friends are Page and Omega may well be the two best wrestlers in the company at this point and will likely blow the roof off with FTR. (though there is absolutely no way they will match their performances with the Bucks).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
AEW TWITTER ROUNDUP

One of the Cheese Boys isn't long for this world :smith:

https://twitter.com/TheBrandiRhodes/status/1278364708735680512?s=20

In happier thoughts:

https://twitter.com/DaxHarwood/status/1277843214448328704?s=20

Sometimes life is strange:

https://twitter.com/MrGMSI_BCage/status/1278380633509826561?s=20

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

ftr are in the company on short term handshake deals, they are not going to sniff the belts

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been on the "time to move on" train for a few weeks and Best Friends feel like a solid option to give the belts to who can then work with the various good heel teams like Blade/Butcher, Lucha Bros, Hybrid 2, and of course Santana and Ortiz.

But yeah, it does make a lot of sense to keep the belts on Page/Omega if you want to use them as the middle of the war between the Bucks and FTR, and potentially a stepping stone to an Elite/Horsemen thing.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Paper Lion posted:

ftr are in the company on short term handshake deals, they are not going to sniff the belts

The handshake deal thing feels like a work for them to portray themselves as “outsiders” tbh

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

The handshake deal thing feels like a work for them to portray themselves as “outsiders” tbh

Yeah, that or the first stage in a negotiation. I dunno. It just seems silly to assume we know the contract situation based on the little bit we've heard. A few weeks ago supposedly Cage wasn't signed. That was obviously bullshit.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/NylaRoseBeast/status/1278373790188294145?s=20
https://twitter.com/ShopAEW/status/1278372653313728512?s=20

New Nyla and Swole merch. I like the Nyla one a lot, it looks like a terrible band shirt.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The more I think about it the more I think the Best Friends really do need the belts. I know you read this poo poo Tony, put the belts on the tag team that has been holding it up wherever they go for years.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Orange Cassidy's t-shirt is a much better designed expression of the state of American politics than Matt Hardy's.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Paper Lion posted:

Yeah, I don't see how you square that with the tweet from Dax in the post just before yours saying this is the best place he's ever worked. Why take a short-term deal if that's the case?

Feels like a work. They'll, um, sniff plenty.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Both look good. I like the very Kid & Play graphics on the "talk poo poo, get hit" shirt. Even though from a distance it looks like it just says "poo poo GET"

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It doesn't seem that surprising. Isn't Colt barrel-chested as hell? Even machines need to rest occasionally.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lamuella posted:

Both look good. I like the very Kid & Play graphics on the "talk poo poo, get hit" shirt. Even though from a distance it looks like it just says "poo poo GET"

I have a pedantic issue with "Talk" being a tongue sticking out and "Hit" being a flexed arm.

That's just bad pictionary.

ChrisBTY posted:

It doesn't seem that surprising. Isn't Colt barrel-chested as hell? Even machines need to rest occasionally.

Yeah, Colt always seemed jacked to me. He's just got a weird body shape.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

STAC Goat posted:

I have a pedantic issue with "Talk" being a tongue sticking out and "Hit" being a flexed arm.

That's just bad pictionary.

Yeah, Colt always seemed jacked to me. He's just got a weird body shape.

Cage is clearly just talking poo poo to Colt for fun. He seems to get to the gym plenty. He's just not... a machine.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Memnaelar posted:

Cage is clearly just talking poo poo to Colt for fun. He seems to get to the gym plenty. He's just not... a machine.

Oh, I know. I was just commenting on Colt's deceptively bad rear end body.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
That Nyla shirt might be my favorite design AEW's put out thus far

Now I'm scrolling through the store and lolling to myself about the idea of buying and wearing this shirt in public

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/youngbucks/status/1278406300926443523?s=20

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Colts got the body of a Looney Tunes style strongman cartoon.

I bet he could explode a sack of grains with his legs

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

w...wear masks.. :smith:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Joey (and Sonny) should beat Lance Archer at Fyter Fest because Bad Romance is cool and interesting and Archer is like... the 3rd most interesting dude of his description on the show?

THIS I CLAIM

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

projecthalaxy posted:

Joey (and Sonny) should beat Lance Archer at Fyter Fest because Bad Romance is cool and interesting and Archer is like... the 3rd most interesting dude of his description on the show?

THIS I CLAIM

On the other hand, have you considered that everybody dies?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is this a safe place to say Archer really hasn't wowed me and like now that the buzz has died down he just kind of feels like Lance Hoyt to me?

Its worth pointing out I never thought Lance Hoyt was BAD or anything. Just you know... decent big dude who doesn't wow me.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

its very weird how a dudes buzz dies down after he loses a big match he shoulda won. gently caress cody rhodes imo

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

STAC Goat posted:

Is this a safe place to say Archer really hasn't wowed me and like now that the buzz has died down he just kind of feels like Lance Hoyt to me?

You are always entitled to your own personal opinion, no matter how misguided, wrong, and terrible it may be!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

He hasn't been booked as well as he was in New Japan so I'd agree with that. I think him vs. Joey should end on a DQ for Archer.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I don't think we've gotten a chance to fairly evaluate Archer. I think he looked damned good in the build-up to Cody and then that "enh" of a match kind of deflated his steam for us. Less about the loss, more just that the match wasn't inspired and left me wondering where he'd go next. And they haven't really figured out what to do with him in the interim, as evidenced by booking him against Joey out of nowhere.

I actually think he's really impressive and like him more than the other big guys on the roster, except maybe Brodie. They just need to sort his next creative direction and, hate to say it, let him ditch Jake and go there.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

lance archer's hair is stupid and his whole act is done better by tazz and cage

put the cool lunchables fighters over

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Archer might be feeling more special if he hadn't shown up between Brodie and Cage. I prefer both guys and perhaps more importantly AEW has plans and a place for them. Its not Archer's fault that they didn't seem to know what to do with him after the Cody loss (which whatever you think about it for him was certainly the logical narrative move after all the Brandi/Dustin stuff and with Cody's "fighting champ" establishment of the belt). And I'm not saying I think he's bad or anything. I just don't feel like he's doing a lot different or especially better than anyone else. Like we got Wardlow and Luchasaurus doing stuff last week.

But he's not Jake Hager or anything.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Out of all the big hosses Archer's the one I could buy most as AEW champ. He looked great during those shows at QT's gym and hasn't had much chance to shine since. Hell, I don't think he's had a Dynamite match since Double or Nothing. Not surprising that he'd feel cold after all that.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I think Archer needs a hoss match. Other than Cody it’s all been squashes on smaller guys.

The Wardlow/Luchasaurus match made both of them look great. I want to see them or Cage in a match with him.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

all i want from the fyter fest match is for Sonny to do the johnny cage ball punch to Jake Roberts or perhaps build a rocket ship and send Jake Roberts off to explore the outer reaches of space or simply hand Jake Roberts his notice of termination

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah, they did a great build for Lance (to the point I thought he was a much more credible challenger for the main title than Brodie), and then they had him lose in a dumb match to Cody's finisher that couldn't beat Shawn Spears a month earlier

I guess he couldn't just be "unbeatable guy" forever though. I honestly am fine with him just being "violent psycho lurking around the upper-midcard" for the foreseeable future but it'd probably be ideal to give him something a lil meatier to work with

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

JUNGLE BOY posted:

100% agreed. Has it ever been brought up outside of them saying it on the Cornette pod?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Archer is still riding the hype he made for himself in NJPW, for me personally. But also, he's still riding the hype from NJPW and AEW is kinda missing it on him. He needs a meaningful program to win because right now his story seems to be "He's a bad dude who can cause problems and gently caress stuff up" but he's not really causing problems or loving stuff up? He's a violent madman who's primarily sticking to the match he's booked for and not interrupting people or being a problem at all.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

all i want from the fyter fest match is for Sonny to do the johnny cage ball punch to Jake Roberts or perhaps build a rocket ship and send Jake Roberts off to explore the outer reaches of space or simply hand Jake Roberts his notice of termination

Even if Jake gets the boot from on-screen, I feel like he should do promo classes for the heels for a long time. Just have someone else come in after he leaves the room and remind everyone that misogyny is not okay. Even as old and broken down as he obviously is, Jake is menacing in promos. Also having steady work probably helps him a lot when it comes to staying sober, which is good.

I'd love a Cage vs Archer hoss-off match tbh. Lance still seems like he's booked to be a monster, he just hasn't had a real opponent since Cody like a month ago. I saw Sugar Dunkerton / Pineapple Pete getting such a long match with him as 100% confirmation they're giving him a contract, they made it more even than most of the matches in the tournament.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Archer looks great and his match this week on Dark was really good fun. THey didn't have any immediate plans for him after DoN but a program against Janela would be incredible fun.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I love everything about Archer and I want him to beat Mox. He's probably my #1 guy in AEW.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I think Archer destroying Janela will help get him back on track (as much as I love Joey, it seems clear to me that he's in that slot 'cause he can take a beating and look good doing it)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
AEW Dynamite Thread exists: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3931088

as for Lance Archer, he needs to lose and be driven to start doing heinous poo poo, because that is the cool thing about Lance Archer as a wrestling character is that he goes as far as possible and has to be reigned in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

its very weird how a dudes buzz dies down after he loses a big match he shoulda won. gently caress cody rhodes imo

He is what he hates, HHH