Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Polaron posted:

Quinn's nonbinary, for the record.

Forgot, fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

(Cas Anvar being a predator)

Yeesh

Fuuuuuck. Yet another big disappointment. The Expanse is my favorite show in years. I'm not really surprised cause in interviews and behind the scenes stuff he's always extremely present and in the forefront, and that pushiness seems to extend into his creeping on women.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

A year or so ago she opened up about numerous sexual assaults and predatory behavior from Alec Holowka, a programmer and soundtrack composer on indie game Night in the Woods - several other women came out against him alongside her, and Alec committed suicide. She had to stay off the Internet for a few weeks after that one, understandably.

There isn't a yikes big enough

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Polaron posted:

Quinn's nonbinary, for the record.

that is also something new, duly noted and will keep that in mind when talking about them

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So a few days ago i posted some anti-landlord story in a discord me and my friends use and they dismissed it because "oh it's just some guy saying something, we don't know the terms of his lease or anything this is fine. the owner can sell the house and walk buyers through while the guy lives there no problem" and i called them out because "i bet you don't believe victims of sexual assault that they were assaulted" and was met with "no! i believe victims!"

well i posted the stuff about that guy from the expanse and was met with "but we don't know the whole story"

i checked out for a bit because i was about to say some things that would not have gone over well

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Aces High posted:

What ended up happening with Zoe Quinn? That's a name I haven't heard in almost 5 years

Quinn was the spark that gamergaters were expecting to be GamerGate 2.0 Now They're Killing People.

Quinn disclosed on twitter the horrible abusive treatment they suffered from Alec Holowka, which sparked a massive outcry on both sides and he killed himself not long thereafter.

While the gamergaters were busying preparing for a full court press pitchforks and torches moment, an absolute ton of people came out, including past and current business partners like his coworkers were recounting how they'd be near tears constantly as he'd scream and yell and they'd have panic attacks about having to confront him over totally normal problems and his own sister spoke out to say that Alec was a deeply troubled person who caused a lot of people pain and now he's dead so let it lie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly, if they did make him kill himself, they're a loving hero for it

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

pentyne posted:

While the gamergaters were busying preparing for a full court press pitchforks and torches moment, an absolute ton of people came out, including past and current business partners like his coworkers were recounting how they'd be near tears constantly as he'd scream and yell and they'd have panic attacks about having to confront him over totally normal problems and his own sister spoke out to say that Alec was a deeply troubled person who caused a lot of people pain and now he's dead so let it lie.

Back when this was going on I saw an unbelievably irritating person on Twitter use his sister speaking out against him as proof that Quinn must be blackmailing people to say bad things about the guy as opposed to, you know, it just being the truth about him. Just completely insane stuff from the "DON'T TOUCH MY VIDEO GAMES AND CARTOONS" crowd of whiners.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Aces High posted:

What ended up happening with Zoe Quinn? That's a name I haven't heard in almost 5 years

I mean, when did the "Do not mention Gamergate" rule finally get removed from Games?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I mean, when did the "Do not mention Gamergate" rule finally get removed from Games?

Never officially, AFAIK

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Adam Savage has been accused of raping his own sister and everything is awful.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Oh holy hell.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'm gonna go into cryostasis, let me know when things get better.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Article here via variety

Their mother has sided with him. This still really sucks though, I’m a huge fan of Tested.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Adam Savage has been accused of raping his own sister and everything is awful.

As I understand it, it was when she was 7 and he was 9.. Are we going to hold him to things he did when he was 9 and probably didn't even fully understand what was going on?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Coffee And Pie posted:

Article here via variety

Their mother has sided with him. This still really sucks though, I’m a huge fan of Tested.

quote:

“It makes me very sad to say this, but my daughter suffers from severe mental health challenges, and it’s devastating that she’s putting Adam and our entire family through this. Adam is a good man, and I support him completely,” reads her statement.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
A good point that’s been brought up is that children who sexually abuse other children have often been abused themselves. It’s a hosed up situation if it is true, it’s like the Lena Dunham thing.

It’s depressing though, I really looked up to Savage as a maker and for his involvement with film prop culture, which is something I’ve been passionate about since I was a kid.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Autechresaint posted:

As I understand it, it was when she was 7 and he was 9.. Are we going to hold him to things he did when he was 9 and probably didn't even fully understand what was going on?

I don't know? Kids who hurt other kids are a complicated issue. Ideally it should've been dealt with if/when it happened not several decades later. I don't think a lawsuit is the best solution, especially since he would've been a minor if/when it happened.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Alhazred posted:

I don't know? Kids who hurt other kids are a complicated issue. Ideally it should've been dealt with if/when it happened not several decades later. I don't think a lawsuit is the best solution, especially since he would've been a minor if/when it happened.

Her claim is when he was 9-12 and she was 7-10.

That's definitely not typical lawsuit territory, and it likely there would be legal hurdles for a court to allow a plaintiff suing someone for something they were doing at 9 years old.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If this is true but isn't behavior that continued into adolescence and adulthood then it sucks but I don't think is necessarily anyone else's business.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I wonder if he will go into more detail.

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1278362556214755329?s=20

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A) Joss Whedon has been credibly accused and admitted to being a sexually and emotionally abusive piece of poo poo on the sets of Buffy & Angel, cheated on his wife with teenagers (who were also his employees), and fired Charisma Carpenter when she got pregnant. Like he has always sucked.

B)

Elijah Daniel is a good person and his philanthropic work over the last year has bought him a lot of good will and he’s been very vocal about Singer for the last couple weeks. I’m not gonna look for this video but there are way too many people talking about it to be fake. Bryan Singer’s entire crew are just beyond the pale.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

A) Joss Whedon has been credibly accused and admitted to being a sexually and emotionally abusive piece of poo poo on the sets of Buffy & Angel, cheated on his wife with teenagers (who were also his employees), and fired Charisma Carpenter when she got pregnant. Like he has always sucked.

B)

https://twitter.com/elijahdaniel/status/1278430173134753793?s=21

Elijah Daniel is a good person and his philanthropic work over the last year has bought him a lot of good will and he’s been very vocal about Singer for the last couple weeks. I’m not gonna look for this video but there are way too many people talking about it to be fake. Bryan Singer’s entire crew are just beyond the pale.

Both tweets in B are gone now

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Coffee And Pie posted:

Article here via variety

Assuming what the mother says is true this definitely falls into the "reserving any sort of judgement for now" category.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 2, 2020

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/rachelburry/status/1276021866142949376

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
this kinda got lost in the tail end of streamergate but a bunch of authors got outted too

https://twitter.com/typedtruths/status/1276149359437139970?s=20
https://twitter.com/SamSykesSwears/status/1275970100739244035?s=20

they are all in that obscure indie fantasy con table thing but I guess Sam is related to the woman who wrote Outlander but doesn't like to talk about that (oddly referring to her in third person for interviews)

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Bust Rodd posted:

It may just be because I find his whole schtick incredibly annoying, but Joss Whedon has always had intense this guy energy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTMow_7H47Q

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1278546705626140675?s=20

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Maybe it's because it's too early for me to properly parse this, but I have no idea what the hell this is trying to say. "The Daily Telegraph in 2017 conveyed the imputation Rush was a pervert." What kind of mealy mouth bullshit is this?

From the article itself:

quote:

News Corp.-owned Nationwide News appealed trial judge Michael Wigney’s ruling last year that Rush was defamed by newspaper reports saying he had been accused of inappropriate behavior by actor Eryn Jean Norvill. She played the daughter of Rush’s starring character in a Sydney theater production of “King Lear” in 2015 and 2016.

So...are they saying that he didn't do the inappropriate behavior he was accused of? Or just that they shouldn't have said it?

This feels like it's couched in several layers of garbage to keep it from actually saying anything.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MeinPanzer posted:

It may just be because I find his whole schtick incredibly annoying, but Joss Whedon has always had intense this guy energy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTMow_7H47Q

Whedon played up the whole "I'm a male feminist" angle since before it was a thing and his nerd fanbase would leap to his defense at a moments notice to claim that he's one of the good ones because he's not one of those gross menwritingwomen writers.

All the comments of "what's up with all the close up shots of River's feet" for Firefly were roundly shouted down with "HEY HE RESPECTS WOMEN OK!?"

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I think I've said it before but the fact that Whedon's profile picture for awhile was him standing with that corporate-commissioned wall street girl statue is just :discourse: for how on the nose it is about his brand of "feminism."

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

That and I don't even know what to think of this episode:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_Gold_(Firefly)

Basically a prostitute at a brothel becomes pregnant with a local gangster's baby and the crew fights the gangster and his gang when the guy wants his kid back. Apparently in Joss Whedon's world prostitutes are "companions" who have complete autonomy over who they sleep with, even when work at a brothel, though they can be banished from the brothel if they act against the group. It feels like he's trying to have his cake and eat it too without getting into why sex work, especially when done by women with few other prospects, can get to really terrible places very quickly.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I believe in that episode the companions guild was completely separate from the brothel. The brothel was illegal. I think he was going for a class privelege differential.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I believe in that episode the companions guild was completely separate from the brothel. The brothel was illegal. I think he was going for a class privelege differential.

It's been 10 years since I watched it. I do remember the whole thing made me feel squiggy. Like, the dude just wants to see his son.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There's a lot of weird poo poo in Firefly surrounding women, setting aside everything else that's weird. There are Magical Hookers (to go with an actual Magical Negro). There's a manic pixie dream girl. Generally a bunch of stuff that is today rightfully considered far more cringey in the mainstream, all the way up to neoconfederacy and the Evil One World Government being Chinese.

When you analyze Whedon's work in totality you see a lot of lazy formula and disturbing themes.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Coffee And Pie posted:

A good point that’s been brought up is that children who sexually abuse other children have often been abused themselves. It’s a hosed up situation if it is true, it’s like the Lena Dunham thing.

It’s depressing though, I really looked up to Savage as a maker and for his involvement with film prop culture, which is something I’ve been passionate about since I was a kid.

Lena Dunham didn't think she did anything wrong though. It sounds like the sister might have a history of false accusations unless there is a bunch of horrible stuff the Savage family is covering up, which is a possibility. I think its too early to tell at the moment.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A close friend of mine was molested by her brother for years, starting when she was 6 and he was 12 and it went on for like 3 years. The brother and the mom deny it but the father believes her and it absolutely destroyed their family. You can hold the assailant accountable if they are doing it repeatedly over years. Even the most incredulous child with the most active imagination will put together what they are doing after, at most, 1-2 episodes of abuse. If it’s happening for months or years at a time, they know what they are doing (although they almost certainly only know because they’ve been victimized themselves).

Yeah it is absolutely terrible, and the abuser certainly needs help and treatment, but they also shouldn’t get off the hook because you assume they were acting innocently.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
Maybe the "severe mental health challenges" came about because she was raped when she was 7 years old by her brother... :thunk:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PeterCat posted:

It's been 10 years since I watched it. I do remember the whole thing made me feel squiggy. Like, the dude just wants to see his son.

That feels like a bad interpretation of that episode. Like I'm not defending Whedon or the sexual politics of his work or whatever the gently caress he was saying with sex workers in Firefly. But "the dude just wants to see his son" was definitely not the takeaway from that episode that I remember. He was a violent, abusive, murdering land baron as I recall. Like the first paragraph of that recap is:

quote:

When Nandi denies the presence of Petaline, Burgess' thugs drag out Petaline, who is visibly several months pregnant, before Burgess, who extracts a DNA sample. He tells her he will return for his child if his test on the DNA proves the child to be his, threatening to cut it out of her if need be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Lena Dunham didn't think she did anything wrong though.

The "Lena Dunham did poo poo to her sister" thing is the new "Jane Fonda killed POWs in Vietnam," and is, at best, a bad faith strawman used to smear her, and nothing in her book relating to her sister was published without her permission.

Take her to task for actual poo poo she did like defending a rapist while dismissing his victim's claims, not something that some lovely right-wing journal cooked up to smear her.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 2, 2020