Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Just started the game for the first time and am still in the prologue, I need someone to explain this miss to me. I don't have a lot of experience with Pathfinder but I have played DnD-based video games that work basically the same like IWD2 or the NWN series and they haven't prepared me for this result.

I've got a the turn-based + closer to tabletop mods installed so if there's a bug it might be in one of those I guess. If it's not some kind of bug, the game sure doesn't communicate what's going on here well! But the roll is big enough that even some kind of hidden bonus should have been overcome honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

Just started the game for the first time and am still in the prologue, I need someone to explain this miss to me. I don't have a lot of experience with Pathfinder but I have played DnD-based video games that work basically the same like IWD2 or the NWN series and they haven't prepared me for this result.

I've got a the turn-based + closer to tabletop mods installed so if there's a bug it might be in one of those I guess. If it's not some kind of bug, the game sure doesn't communicate what's going on here well! But the roll is big enough that even some kind of hidden bonus should have been overcome honestly.

The Assassin leader has Mirror Image, so you can overcome the AC and just erase one of the images. Though the log should have a roll to determine if you hit an image or not as well.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

JamMasterJim posted:

The Assassin leader has Mirror Image, so you can overcome the AC and just erase one of the images. Though the log should have a roll to determine if you hit an image or not as well.

I can't see anything in the combat log indicating Mirror Image being active though it certainly would explain it. That seems like a strange oversight. Especially since it isn't visually obvious either, at least not for a new player like me.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

I can't see anything in the combat log indicating Mirror Image being active though it certainly would explain it. That seems like a strange oversight. Especially since it isn't visually obvious either, at least not for a new player like me.

The mirror image effect is VERY visible, though it can be 'eaten' by attacks very quickly so the round that miss happened may have consumed the last mirror. When everything is said and done there's a smug assassin leader sitting there without any mirrors left.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Kalas posted:

The mirror image effect is VERY visible, though it can be 'eaten' by attacks very quickly so the round that miss happened may have consumed the last mirror. When everything is said and done there's a smug assassin leader sitting there without any mirrors left.

I definitely spent quite a while looking at him before his buff wore off - turn-based, and only Jaethal was attacking him for a couple rounds too. Didn't really notice he had any spell active much less a mirror image effect specifically.

Not sure what mod could have disrupted the visuals, if any. Only graphical one I use is the HD NPC textures, but spell effects shouldn't be affected I'd imagine.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

I definitely spent quite a while looking at him before his buff wore off - turn-based, and only Jaethal was attacking him for a couple rounds too. Didn't really notice he had any spell active much less a mirror image effect specifically.

Not sure what mod could have disrupted the visuals, if any. Only graphical one I use is the HD NPC textures, but spell effects shouldn't be affected I'd imagine.

I don't use either of the mods you mentioned so I can't say.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
You can change some of the Call of the Wild settings by changing the settings.json in the Steam\steamapps\common\Pathfinder Kingmaker\Mods\CallOfTheWild folder.

Mainly the "update companions" will change their classes to the ones mentioned in the mod, and "reduce skill points" gives you fewer skill points, for whatever reason. I don't care about the first, cause I wound up respeccing everyone anyway, but I always change the second, cause skill points are good.

Started a new game on Challenging; not certain how I feel. Knowing (and looking at an optimized guide) how the game goes has saved me a lot of time, but the challenge is...random. Mainly because my characters CAN'T HIT ANYTHING. Wound up nearly getting wiped by one AC 21 mob because my +5/+6 to hit couldn't do anything. Eventually "found" a wand of Heroism to get me through the Old Sycamore without getting wiped by random wolfpacks ($%^@#^%$#ING TRIP ATTACKS) or picking up endless poison stat drain. And made a merc shaman to Evil Eye stuff.

Or maybe it's that choosing Sylvan Sorc for my character first playthrough made it easier. Having someone with touch spells, AoEs, and a pet with 5 attacks makes things simpler. Tried playing a Paladin this playthrough and I am BORED. 5 levels in, it's just a feat-less fighter with a worthless self-heal. Maybe I'll cheat Valerie into a Paladin; she's been less than impressive as a Monk.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Insurrectionist posted:

Mirror Image is like the only evasion mechanic that doesn't appear in the combat log, annoyingly. And yes, given the target, this was 100% Mirror Image. If you hear a "shwoom" when trying to hit (which can be harder if you're in realtime) then you hit an image.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I come once again for advice when google is useless.

I've been judiciously using Linzi's Inspire Courage throughout the few hours of the game I've played, and apparently the game has now decided it must stop. I can't select it any more, it's greyed out. Since it has a 0 on the icon, I assume it's indicating a limited number of uses.

However, I can't find anything that indicates this should be the case at all. Whether it's the in-game info, game-related wikis or general pathfinder wikis, I can't find any 'uses per day/rest/whatever' limitations on inspire courage. And indeed, intuitively I would not expect it to have any such limitation either. But I have no idea what else could be causing it - she's literally only wearing the 3 pieces of gear she started with, has no buffs or debuffs visible, etc. Have tried entering combat, reloading, removing/adding from the bar - but not resting (do I look like I'm made of rations???). Someone explain the secret esoteric limitations of inspire courage for me please.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

You can only use inspire courage (and all bard performance) for a limited number of combat rounds per rest. I think it's something like Charisma modifier + 2 x Bard level + some base number.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Hypocrisy posted:

You can only use inspire courage (and all bard performance) for a limited number of combat rounds per rest. I think it's something like Charisma modifier + 2 x Bard level + some base number.

4 + Charisma modifier + (2 x Bard levels not counting the 1st) rounds. Linzi also comes with the Extra Performance feat which adds 6 rounds.

AFAIK it doesn't tell you this anywhere in game. It's extra weird cause I think Bardic Performance is the only ability that uses actual "combat rounds" as a measurement instead of "one round equals 6 seconds."

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Cool thanks for explaining. It's weird that googling 'pathfinder inspire courage' and looking at a couple top wiki links they also don't have anything about how often you can use it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Insurrectionist posted:

Cool thanks for explaining. It's weird that googling 'pathfinder inspire courage' and looking at a couple top wiki links they also don't have anything about how often you can use it.

Probably because Inspire Courage is only one of several abilities that use the Bardic Performance mechanic, and the rounds per day limitation is explained in the parent mechanic.

Like, literally the first paragraph: "A bard is trained to use the Perform skill to create magical effects on those around him, including himself if desired. He can use this ability for a number of rounds per day equal to 4 + his Charisma modifier. At each level after 1st a bard can use bardic performance for 2 additional rounds per day. Each round, the bard can produce any one of the types of bardic performance that he has mastered, as indicated by his level."

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Zurai posted:

Probably because Inspire Courage is only one of several abilities that use the Bardic Performance mechanic, and the rounds per day limitation is explained in the parent mechanic.

Which is something that would probably come up naturally for any aspiring bard on the tabletop but since you get Linzi premade as a bard NPC you don't even go through the game's bard creation process where the mechanics of inspire X and performance are presumably explained!

I actually looked at bardic performance on one of the kingmaker wikis too, unfortunately it was the wrong wiki that had zero info added. And since I didn't know I was looking specifically for performance I didn't go through and search for its mechanics on the other sites either.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

the game's bard creation process where the mechanics of inspire X and performance are presumably explained!

They are not. I've played this game inside and out and nowhere that I'm aware of is Bardic Performance explained in the CRPG, I ended up having to look it up in a wiki for the tabletop game.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

They are not. I've played this game inside and out and nowhere that I'm aware of is Bardic Performance explained in the CRPG, I ended up having to look it up in a wiki for the tabletop game.

These is the kind of design that made me wait almost 2 years before playing, haha.

Well, I'm still having plenty of fun despite the occasional jank.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I'm not defending the information presented by the game, that's obviously stupid. I just wanted to point to where it is actually explained, in case you had any further questions about the mechanics. I apologize if my post came off otherwise.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Nah it was fine I was just genuinely amused at how well they managed to hide it. I'm pretty sure I would have eaten a lot of bans over the past 13 years of SA if I got worked up about getting answers to questions.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Speaking of bards can you spin performances with lingering song? While too much of a hassle on rtpw on turn based it might be quite effective.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Speaking of bards can you spin performances with lingering song? While too much of a hassle on rtpw on turn based it might be quite effective.

Not if it follows tabletop rules; Lingering Performance specifically says the benefits cut out if a new performance is started.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Zurai posted:

Not if it follows tabletop rules; Lingering Performance specifically says the benefits cut out if a new performance is started.

It's definitely suppose to work like that but doesn't, starting a new performance doesn't stop the Lingering Performance of another.

Once you hit Bard 13 and activating a performance becomes a swift action it's trivial to keep two performances up with Lingering Performance, it's even more trivial if you combine it with the Singing Steel Breastplate.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So if you have a set number of rounds for performance per rest, and lingering performance gives +2 rounds, is it just effectively a 3x multiplier on overall number of performance rounds (assuming you optimize for max # of rounds)?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

If you're willing to micromanage it and lose the actions to restart the song constantly, then yes.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Insurrectionist posted:

So if you have a set number of rounds for performance per rest, and lingering performance gives +2 rounds, is it just effectively a 3x multiplier on overall number of performance rounds (assuming you optimize for max # of rounds)?

Yes and no. Before 7th level, starting a performance is a standard action, so if you start/stop all you can ever do is that and moving.

Before 13th level, Performing is still a move action ; so you can't start faffing about with your lute AND do a full attack or move AND attack AND sing. But if all you wanna do is stay in place, sing and cast spells (or sing and hit/shoot once per round) then yeah you now have 3x the perform rounds.

At 13th singing becomes a swift action, meaning that you can finally start/stop/start/stop every turn and milk Lingering for all it's worth ; with the caveat that you still can't do that AND a different swift action, such as casting a quickened spell or use Arcane Strike. But by that point you'll probably have way more perform rounds than you'll ever use before the rest of the party needs a nappy-nap anyhoo.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well the poll is over, and to no one's real surprise (other than the circlejerking whiners in the comments) kitsune are the new race.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/2880573

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Also: the console version is on its way, come August 18th, and both that version and the PC version will get the same official turn-based mode that Wrath is getting.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/2862274

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I think I'm going to grab this game during the Steam sale. I'm just wondering if I should grab the DLC as well. I'm particularly curious about Varnhold's Lot. Is that any good?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I think I'm going to grab this game during the Steam sale. I'm just wondering if I should grab the DLC as well. I'm particularly curious about Varnhold's Lot. Is that any good?

It was alright. Not superb but it does give you the full picture behind something that is pretty much glanced over in the main game. It also fleshed out a character that you'll otherwise see as a random nobody. I also found the beginning really hard, though that might have been because I was unwilling to spam rests. So I guess is mainly comes down to how much you like Varn. The DLC is designed so you play a bit of the main campaign before stopping to do the DLC so...there's time?

I would recommend Wild Cards and Beneath the Stolen Lands over it though.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Really, all three add something worthwhile. It's worth it to pick up the whole package.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Well the poll is over, and to no one's real surprise (other than the circlejerking whiners in the comments) kitsune are the new race.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/2880573

Surprised cats came in so low.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'm interested in Beneath the Stolen Lands since I generally like the 'beeeeg dungeon' stuff in these games decently well. But there are a lot of things that make me hesitate, like how it's described as pretty boring and generic in reviews. Is there a big difference in progression WRT max level and such with/without it? Basically I dunno if just a pathfinder combat sim is something I want to get, if it doesn't add that much else. I thought the endless paths dungeon in POE 1 struck a pretty good balance of combat focus while still having cool-looking levels/puzzles and drip-feeding lore for the dungeon, how does this compare?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm interested in Beneath the Stolen Lands since I generally like the 'beeeeg dungeon' stuff in these games decently well. But there are a lot of things that make me hesitate, like how it's described as pretty boring and generic in reviews. Is there a big difference in progression WRT max level and such with/without it? Basically I dunno if just a pathfinder combat sim is something I want to get, if it doesn't add that much else. I thought the endless paths dungeon in POE 1 struck a pretty good balance of combat focus while still having cool-looking levels/puzzles and drip-feeding lore for the dungeon, how does this compare?

The endless dungeon in the base campaign is not that interesting. It's a basic corridor stone dungeon and many of it's encounters are basic enemy mobs with some slightly unique buffs, though there are also some unique enemies and compositions. Though it still has nice boss fights and a decent chunk of XP that can propel you to level 20 with Experience share on, and a few interesting pieces of lot.

The appeal is more on standalone mode, with randomized encounters/floors. You can build up parties and level them up fast to try them out against many different enemies. It's how I actually managed to try out every single archetype in the game properlu

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

It is nowhere near as good as Od Nua, which was my favorite part of base PoE1. Personally I think it's a bad DLC. It's not like PF:K lacks combat encounters anyways.

The only DLC I'd really recommend is the one that adds Kanerah/Kalikke, who are some of the better companions.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Hmmm thanks for the posts, in that case I'll probably just wait and see how I feel when the sale is about to end and I know more about how much I enjoy combat/building characters in the game. Doesn't sound like I'd miss much with the campaign dungeon anyway. Not that I'll finish the campaign before the sale ends!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

JamMasterJim posted:

The endless dungeon in the base campaign is not that interesting. It's a basic corridor stone dungeon and many of it's encounters are basic enemy mobs with some slightly unique buffs, though there are also some unique enemies and compositions.

Agreed, I ran through it once with a custom party till they got wiped, and have no desire to try it again.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Ok so I'm back for more minor questions that google won't answer. this time it's about magus spellstrike/spell combat. For some reason, this seems incredibly inconsistent. I have touch of fatigue on autocast with these two active, but one of three things typically happen in combat - and with about the same frequency as well.
First, the magus casts the touch spell, attacks with the spell, and finally attacks normally. This is as I would expect.
Second, the magus casts the touch spell, attacks with touch, and then can't do anything more. This is starting right next to the enemy so no moving or anything else that would prevent a double attack.
Third, magus doesn't even bother casting a touch spell, just attacks normally and is done. Again, standing on the enemy.

Is there any kind of rhyme or reason to this?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

Ok so I'm back for more minor questions that google won't answer. this time it's about magus spellstrike/spell combat. For some reason, this seems incredibly inconsistent. I have touch of fatigue on autocast with these two active, but one of three things typically happen in combat - and with about the same frequency as well.
First, the magus casts the touch spell, attacks with the spell, and finally attacks normally. This is as I would expect.
Second, the magus casts the touch spell, attacks with touch, and then can't do anything more. This is starting right next to the enemy so no moving or anything else that would prevent a double attack.
Third, magus doesn't even bother casting a touch spell, just attacks normally and is done. Again, standing on the enemy.

Is there any kind of rhyme or reason to this?

The way it works, is that the magus will do an extra touch attack ONLY if he does a full round attack , aka has not done any other action that turn except for a 5-foot step.
So, if you are already in range of the opponent, the magus casts and the you do your standard full round attack plus the touch attack.
If you are not in range or have done any other action that is not free, the magus will just walk forward and cast the spell and just deliver with his weapon, not doing thee melee attacks. It's as if you cast a touch spell with any other character.
For the last case, the most likely explanation is that you still have the cast charged. This means that your weapon holds a charge of touch of fatigue (usually happens when you missed your attacks or target died before you could do so). For example, if you start a round with touch of fatigue cast and then do the full round attack plus the bonus attack from spellcombat/spellstrike and they ALL MISS, the charge will carry into the next round. On the next full round attack, YOU DO NOT GET the extra attack. If you finally connect and deliver the spell, on the next round, you can do the Touch spell again and get an extra attack.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

JamMasterJim posted:

The way it works, is that the magus will do an extra touch attack ONLY if he does a full round attack , aka has not done any other action that turn except for a 5-foot step.
So, if you are already in range of the opponent, the magus casts and the you do your standard full round attack plus the touch attack.
If you are not in range or have done any other action that is not free, the magus will just walk forward and cast the spell and just deliver with his weapon, not doing thee melee attacks. It's as if you cast a touch spell with any other character.
For the last case, the most likely explanation is that you still have the cast charged. This means that your weapon holds a charge of touch of fatigue (usually happens when you missed your attacks or target died before you could do so). For example, if you start a round with touch of fatigue cast and then do the full round attack plus the bonus attack from spellcombat/spellstrike and they ALL MISS, the charge will carry into the next round. On the next full round attack, YOU DO NOT GET the extra attack. If you finally connect and deliver the spell, on the next round, you can do the Touch spell again and get an extra attack.

Yeah I took into account no other actions for all of these. Your explanation for the last case sounds solid, I know the situation where I really noticed it happen was against the gish rear end in a top hat at Stag Lord with buffed AC + concealment which I missed a lot before finally hitting. I had a couple rounds in a row of just regular attack, and it was almost certainly because the touch spell was still active.

However for the second case, I'm 99% sure that I've been standing in melee, issued attack command against something in melee-range, and gotten only the touch-cast + attack but not normal attack despite this being my one and only action. Gonna have to test it more to see if it's an actual issue.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I voted Kitsune purely because the moment I wondered which I should vote for, very early in the backing period, I had like 5 people in the official discord jump on me and tell me that if i'm not a weeb snowflake I have to vote rats, because only furries who wanna gently caress their cats will vote for cats/foxes.

They started cracking down on that level of insulting each other soon after, but it solidified my choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I´m currently trying to look at the Magus class and I was just wondering if there´s some decent mulitclassing potential in it or are you better of going all in for it?