Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOST ANTICIPATED FYTER FEST MATCH
This poll is closed.
Mox vs Cage 7 6.67%
Shida vs Ford 2 1.90%
Best Friends vs Hangman and Kenny 47 44.76%
Jericho vs Orange 49 46.67%
Total: 105 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Archer is good and if you think otherwise you're entitled to your wrong opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Archer is good, just taking a snooze though after the Cody stuff. He’ll have some fun moments soon I’m sure.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Eat My Fuc posted:

He is what he hates, HHH

He did a good job of staying a step ahead of it with "Ah but he's self-aware about it and puts on good matches!" for a few months, but apparently you can only do that so long before people start going "Huh, this level of self-indulgence must be leading to a heel turn..."

Losing the crowds really hurt Cody's license to be A Lot

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
right now it feels like him and Cage are competing for the same niche (Huge Dude w/Old Veteran Manager) (which is the evolved form of Shawn Spears, Regular Sized Dude w/Old Veteran Manager)

Cage has the added pseudo-niche of also having muscles in places that don't need muscles, Archer needs more than an Image Comics haircut to stand out from that

I like Archer but I agree he needs to go ham, wreck some poo poo, be sadistic, be one of those dudes that gets THAT'S hosed UP chants

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
lance archer needs to kill and eat jake roberts in the ring

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not down on Cody but like, I also didn't want the guy who was being a sex pest to his wife to beat him. So I'm clearly once again in the minority.

But if HHH had ever spent a month having even matches with good young talent and having only finally won a big match feud blowoff after like 2 or 3 big feud blowoff losses I think we'd have a different opinion of the guy.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not down on Cody but like, I also didn't want the guy who was being a sex pest to his wife to beat him. So I'm clearly once again in the minority.

But if HHH had ever spent a month having even matches with good young talent and having only finally won a big match feud blowoff after like 2 or 3 big feud blowoff losses I think we'd have a different opinion of the guy.

I mean, that's not why I wanted Lance to win the feud. I just think in hindsight losing did hurt him and Cody could of lost and not been hurt. In a perfect world they would of done none of the Jake Roberts stuff on top of Lance winning.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gumball Gumption posted:

I mean, that's not why I wanted Lance to win the feud. I just think in hindsight losing did hurt him and Cody could of lost and not been hurt. In a perfect world they would of done none of the Jake Roberts stuff on top of Lance winning.

Yeah, I get it. I wasn't a fan of that feud in total. It felt like a bad idea to build up Archer and Jake in such a contemptible way since having Cody lose and Brandi/Dustin not being "avenged" would have been very not great to me. The solution to that in hindsight is obviously to just not do that. Build to the match in a different way without Brandi, don't put Archer in the finals if you wanted to do the Cody fighting champ thing, or don't put Cody in the finals if you wanted Archer to just kill people. They built a story and I think it paid off properly in a vacuum. But obviously there was a flaw with Archer's path somewhere (if not a bunch of places).

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I kept holding out hope the Roberts stuff would go somewhere and it just didn't. That entire feud and tournament did one of the things I hate in wrestling. It presented lots of cool options and possibilities and then picked the safest option.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Cody has won less than half of his AEW pay per view matches (he won DoN, All Out, and DoN, lost Fight For the Fallen, Full Geat, and Revolution, and drew at Fyter Fest). He has the worst win/loss record on PPV of any member of the Elite (Bucks are 4 and 3, Kenny is 4 and 3, Hangman is 6 and 1). I don't think it's fair to paint him as a HHH style shovel artist.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

The problem with Archer and Jake at the moment, in my opinion of course, has nothing to do with either of them. Lance is great in the ring, has an awesome look, and Jake is still a fantastic talker and has cut some of the best promos ever in AEW (the thinly veiled misogyny notwithstanding). It's purely down to the booking. It feels like they had nothing planned past Cody. I'd like to see Wardlow turn face very soon and build to a feud with Archer

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Lamuella posted:

Cody has won less than half of his AEW pay per view matches (he won DoN, All Out, and DoN, lost Fight For the Fallen, Full Geat, and Revolution, and drew at Fyter Fest). He has the worst win/loss record on PPV of any member of the Elite (Bucks are 4 and 3, Kenny is 4 and 3, Hangman is 6 and 1). I don't think it's fair to paint him as a HHH style shovel artist.

AEW has also been using the TNT title to give younger dudes (and often guys who have been primarily tag guys) a chance to have long main event matches and get some shine, like Jungle Boy and Marq Quen, or in one instance to show off the debuting Ricky Starks. Archer wouldn't have worked in that role -- having him do long matches every week where he has to sell a lot would diminish him more as a monster than the single loss to Cody did. Meanwhile, Cody is pretty much perfect for that, and the story of him both getting beaten down by the schedule and getting more cocky about it plays into what is expected to be an eventual heel turn.

Archer is pretty easy to build back up as a monster threat both by having him squash dudes on Dark like he's been doing and by murdering the hell out of some midcarders. I expect Janella to take some horrific bump to put Lance over since that's kind of Joey's specialty.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

cody loves triple h a poo poo-ton and has said he owes triple h and stephanie a favor no matter what or when. he does the same stuff where they think of something to pop the crowd but without substance and honesty behind it, like bringing in indie darlings in the early days of nxt as its own thing and cody breaking the throne. the main difference is that cody hasn't been doing it for several years and wearing it out plus making too many bad moves that make people wake up to it. this isn't "cody is triple h" but "cody really, really looks up to triple h" as opposed to hating him

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/NERDSClothingCo/status/1278375851076222980?s=20

https://www.shopaew.com/the-elite-street-fighter-x-aew-limited-edition-official-capcom-x-nerds-clothing-collaboration.html

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I wonder if any part of Archer not being used lately has to do with him living in our hell state of Texas. Who knows if he has close family more succeptable to the virus as we very quickly overtake all of the top spots for positive results. His only appearance after the PPV was a pretape and a crowd spot on a show that would've taped the next night, right? Or has he been on Dark lately and I'm just not paying attention?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ganso Bomb posted:

I wonder if any part of Archer not being used lately has to do with him living in our hell state of Texas. Who knows if he has close family more succeptable to the virus as we very quickly overtake all of the top spots for positive results. His only appearance after the PPV was a pretape and a crowd spot on a show that would've taped the next night, right? Or has he been on Dark lately and I'm just not paying attention?

He squashed Pineapple Pete this week on Dark

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I would like this more if it didn't have the Street Fighter x AEW logo right at what appears to be the belly button.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Lamuella posted:

I don't think anyone is claiming he's burying anybody, just that like Hunter is ridiculously self indulgent to the point that I think it's a heel character anyway, and that he only works his one old school style.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

StarkRavingMad posted:

Well, nevermind! I never have enough time to pay attention to and watch Dark before Dynamite every week. Tuesday release day stinks.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

I don't know that I would call it a squash. It was pretty obvious who was going to win based on contract status and billing, but before I went back and checked the length of the match I would have said it was 10-15 minutes. I was wrong, it was actually only 7 minutes, but they packed a lot into that 7 minutes and made Pete look great, countering a lot of Archer's big moves, lots of offense. That match was when I was convinced he's getting a contract and they just haven't announced it yet. Sarah Jay, Angels, and Vance didn't look as good as he did that match, just because of how dominating Archer has been in all of his other matches (that weren't against Cody).

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

That match made me think of something. Is Pineapple Pete the Riho of the jobber squad?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don't know that I would call it a squash. It was pretty obvious who was going to win based on contract status and billing, but before I went back and checked the length of the match I would have said it was 10-15 minutes. I was wrong, it was actually only 7 minutes, but they packed a lot into that 7 minutes and made Pete look great, countering a lot of Archer's big moves, lots of offense. That match was when I was convinced he's getting a contract and they just haven't announced it yet. Sarah Jay, Angels, and Vance didn't look as good as he did that match, just because of how dominating Archer has been in all of his other matches (that weren't against Cody).

Yeah, squash may have been a little strong, Pete got more in than I expected.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Pylons posted:

That match made me think of something. Is Pineapple Pete the Riho of the jobber squad?

In that the rest of the jobber roster has way less experience and less exposure to wrestling styles and circumstances and thus he is the veteran hand among them, yeah probably. Jon Cruz and Serpentico could also have some miles on either of them, but I'm not sure, but Pete went out and relocated to Europe to expand his horizons so he definitely has an edge in terms of stylistic experience.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

karmicknight posted:

In that the rest of the jobber roster has way less experience and less exposure to wrestling styles and circumstances and thus he is the veteran hand among them, yeah probably. Jon Cruz and Serpentico could also have some miles on either of them, but I'm not sure, but Pete went out and relocated to Europe to expand his horizons so he definitely has an edge in terms of stylistic experience.

My logic was more along the lines that Pete succeeds (at least compared to the rest of the jobber squad) because of his heart and spirit.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Pylons posted:

My logic was more along the lines that Pete succeeds (at least compared to the rest of the jobber squad) because of his heart and spirit.

That is also a very valid read of Pineapple Pete.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sarah Jay, Angels, and Vance didn't look as good as he did that match, just because of how dominating Archer has been in all of his other matches (that weren't against Cody).

That Dark Order segment probably would've played out a lot differently

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

It's true that he has also been wrestling for 17 years, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dynamite/Fyter Fest Night 1 thread.
New Discussion thread.