Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Uh, I don't you guys were sore.

On the one hand all my aches and pains are gone, on the other hand I'm fatter. Lmao@ "I'll just work out at home", RIP to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Uh, I don't you guys were sore.

On the one hand all my aches and pains are gone, on the other hand I'm fatter. Lmao@ "I'll just work out at home", RIP to that.

I'm back at it and still not used to being constantly sore again. I've done 4 sessions this week and am totally wiped. Before covid 4 was the minimum.

Granted, regular classes aren't back in session, its basically 6ish of us getting together for some basic drilling and lots of rolling. And I'm at the bottom of the food chain in my group which means I spend a good 40 minutes a session getting crushed. I'm honestly eager to train with dumb white belts again because then at least I can have an easier roll once in a while.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

The goal with covid is to make sure no liquid of any kind transfers from one human body to another. If lots of people wear masks in public places this helps, because it minimizes those tiny droplets of moisture that come out of your mouth when you breathe or speak.

But if you're grappling? Literally sweating in each other's eyes? The mask is less than useless

I thought it wasn't transferred through sweat?

(though of course sweat gets everywhere and could pick up virus particles en-route)

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I haven't gained a pound. my secret: I have balanced out my fat gain by losing tons of muscle

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

rashguard idea because it will get lost in discord and I want a crazy aussie to know that I'd pay money for it -

A Zangief-looking guy getting caught in a submission like a heel hook or something with BEAR TRAP captioning it

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

rashguard idea because it will get lost in discord and I want a crazy aussie to know that I'd pay money for it -

A Zangief-looking guy getting caught in a submission like a heel hook or something with BEAR TRAP captioning it

Hell, I'd pay for a zangief chest hair + scars Rashguard.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Counterpoint, adding resistance into your drills is good for you.

Yeah 3 parts to it: Theory->Drilling->Application in Sparring. I've sat in on other classes where the theory and sparring are shown, but not a whole lot of timer based drilling.

Drill to get the moves down, hand placement, feet placement; both sides. I've been drilling armbars from guard for the past couple weeks, and then hit it today during sparring against a resisting opponent. I never go for this move. But I drilled it so much that it finally came naturally, it was almost like I wasn't thinking about it.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 26, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drewjitsu posted:

Hell, I'd pay for a zangief chest hair + scars Rashguard.

Lotta money left on the table here 02-6611-0142-1!

Also in my kids class I successfully got them to do like 90% proper side rolles.

Their front rolls still make me squeamish as they are still going on the top of their cross and its just scary to see a 6 year old do that.

I then punished them for 40 minutes by making them do this activity and each time they argued or fell off the platform they had to restart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EemxMnxU8DE

They failed so many times due to them being brothers and constantly fighting/arguing. It was amazing.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 27, 2020

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

trip report: got some rolls in thanks to goon covid fight club after 100+ days of being essentially sedentary. i basically just relied on muscle memory and don't think I could really narrate why I did what I did at any point. i was a weird sort of gassed where I wasn't sucking in air but my body was just like wtf is happening, why are we moving. my nagging injuries are ghosts of their former selves but I still feel them there, waiting for me to move weird or age slightly

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

My gym has stopped doing the warmup that involves running around and doing rolls/shrimps up and down the mats for every class.

Now we warm up drilling with partners and it's sooo much better.

I've been back in classes for a little over a week now and I'm just starting to not feel like I'm dying from being so out of shape.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Has anyone got any road reports for gyms doing social distanced training? The bubbles or team stuff? Has it fallen apart yet, or was it always a free for all? My gym doesn't have a time frame for reopening yet. Scotland being cautious.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ICHIBAHN posted:

Has anyone got any road reports for gyms doing social distanced training? The bubbles or team stuff? Has it fallen apart yet, or was it always a free for all? My gym doesn't have a time frame for reopening yet. Scotland being cautious.

social distancing measures fell apart at my gym two days in. there's taped off tape squares on the mats now but they may as well be cosmetic. my state will probably be shutting gyms down again soon as we are setting all sorts of records

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Florida?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

ICHIBAHN posted:

Queensland, Australia. Only training with partners you bring with you from your own household since June 1st.

We're hoping we can open 'er up on the 1st of July, but it might take until the 10th.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

butros posted:

Florida?

ya

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Yeah, it’s looking like Pennsylvania is going back into total lockdown as well

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Holy loving LOL at going to a bjj gym in Florida at any point since March.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
FL as well and these infection rates have done wonders for my fomo when everything reopened.

I know I -should- be studying u but TBH it's sort of depressing and frustrating so I've really not done that.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

FL as well and these infection rates have done wonders for my fomo when everything reopened.

I know I -should- be studying u but TBH it's sort of depressing and frustrating so I've really not done that.

yea I stopped watching & doing drills at home pretty fast for same reason

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Wangsbig posted:

yea I stopped watching & doing drills at home pretty fast for same reason

Same. Unless I'm training I don't want much of anything to do with BJJ. Except when watching MMA I suppose.

Now that I'm back into it my consumption of instructionals has gone back up.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Christ we're all the same

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My lapel guard interest as waned as I've gotten mostly poor results with it and need to probably do more than just "watch videos on Instagram and try to replicate them"

However I did remember I got Malachy Friedman's Heisen Guard DVD off that big Digitsu sale a few months ago.

Anyone try it, or know soemone who has tried it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRJeWwHJePk

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

De La Riva gets accused of sexual violence(again) and this time decides to expel all female students.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/hi2nk9/3_months_after_being_accused_of_rape_by_claudia/

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

AZ is re-locking down. Like you guys, I've also given up watching anything BJJ. I'm still working out at home though. My conditioning isn't terrible.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I’m gonna start calling it De La Rocha guard after the guy from rage against the machine

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Koreans at my gym pronounce it as De Lariver so I'm OK with that pronunciation too.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I’m gonna start calling it De La Rocha guard after the guy from rage against the machine

gently caress you I won’t do that

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Rolling with my gym mates in the lock down / these people ain't seen a brown belt man since the open mat brought one

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Rolling with my gym mates in the lock down / these people ain't seen a brown belt man since the open mat brought one

Some of those that run classes
Are the same that spread covid

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, so, killing in the name has, like, a half dozen lines total. We could do this.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
My gym gets to open up fully on Friday with a max occupancy of 50, I'm ready for it.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

starkebn posted:

My gym gets to open up fully on Friday with a max occupancy of 50, I'm ready for it.

RIP in peace

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

We roll every round knowing it might be our very last round.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Finally had enough time with the 6 week old baby calm to get a workout and a couple light rolls in with my wife. She's super rusty and I'm definitely somewhat rusty, but drat if it wasn't fun. Living room mats work surprisingly well except for the part where I tried to triangle her and almost bumped both of us over into the TV.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

Finally had enough time with the 6 week old baby calm to get a workout and a couple light rolls in with my wife. She's super rusty and I'm definitely somewhat rusty, but drat if it wasn't fun. Living room mats work surprisingly well except for the part where I tried to triangle her and almost bumped both of us over into the TV.

Living room rolls are so much fun. I remember putting on a show for my extended family with one of them that didnt think jiu jitsu works. He walked away humbled

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I knew a very tough dude who had been in a lot of very serious street fights, up to and including body slamming someone who pulled a gun on him. Well, one day he said he could "choke me out", in a friendly way, and we had a living room roll.

I'll never forget the look of confusion, dissapointment, and quasi sexual awkwardness he gave me when I slapped him in the closed guard and pulled him tight against my body. I'm...not sure he left humbled.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I’m such a loving nerd

(Intro)
Females are to blame cause

(Verse)
Some of those that touch asses
Are the same that run classes

Some of those that run classes
Still the same that touch asses

Uh

(Refrain)

(Prechorus)

And don’tcha do De La Riva
Oh drat you did De La Riva
poo poo man you did De La Riva
Hey dude you did De La Riva
Whoa guy you did De La Riva
My bro you did De La Riva
You went and did De La Riva
Yeah dog it’s that De La Riva
HE’S HAD TO BAN ALL THA FEMALES

(Prechorus)

Close your eyes, it’s justified, keep paying your fees, else we’ll close alright

Close your eyes, it’s justified, keep paying your fees, else we’ll close alright

(Verse)
(Refrain)
(Prechorus)
(Guitar Solo)
(Outro)

gently caress you I won’t refund ya, lady
gently caress you I won’t refund ya lady
gently caress you I won’t refund ya lady
Motherfucker

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
first day of bjj today at GB Seattle two or so hours from now. As a 6’3” 182 pounder with long legs, anything I should be focused on developing?

e: incredibly psyched to start. I’ve been doing a shitload of kettlebell work and calisthenics in preparation

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 2, 2020

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

rest his guts posted:

first day of bjj today at GB Seattle two or so hours from now. As a 6’3” 182 pounder with long legs, anything I should be focused on developing?

Really good lungs

Edit: I’ll be less facetious, now is like the worst time possible you could start trying to learn BJJ at any weight or height. Do something else for a bit then come back to this in a year or so.

quidditch it and quit it fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Really good lungs

Edit: I’ll be less facetious, now is like the worst time possible you could start trying to learn BJJ at any weight or height. Do something else for a bit then come back to this in a year or so.

Just caught up with the thread. It’s weird that WA reopened at all given how militant and on the ball Inslee was about lockdown initially. Haven’t heard any plans to shut poo poo down yet, though. Pretty unambiguous ethical quandary but gently caress... it’s open